paxtonmega

Banditry exploded

You don't think it is unrelated to the huge influx of players from the Steam Sale?

I bought arma 2 on steam before the sale, but no. I don't. Because it was around before that.

You know it's true, I'm sorry for your experience with DayZ lately. Problem is, they way I see it Dean Hall doesn't give a shit about the deathmatching going on

Look at his posts(rocket's), he's clearly a bandit :) Even his signature was the gif of him killing some guy for an open can of beans. At least I imagine it's him x)

This game would die within a week of disabling PvP - people would just get insanely bored. So don't complain that every now and then someone shots at you.

As one of the players that shoot unarmed players, I do so out of safety. What you dont know is there's a lee enfield on the floor above me, so you're not going to be an unarmed player for long, and once you get your hands on that, you will shoot me. I can't allow that. BAM.

I have been playing for about two months too, I don't mean to sound elitest but I have only ever been killed by players 3+ days into a game.

You don't run into cherno/elektro on respawn do you?

Kill you once, shame on me.

Kill you twice , shame on you.

Solution to this problem: survey the scene and move in when you're sure it's safe.

First thing I do when approaching a city or town, is sit on higher ground a fair distance away from the first couple of buildings, and spend a few minutes scanning everything. Check for player movement, dead zeds, weird zed behavior. Once you find some binocs it's even easier, because then you can be so far away from a town to not spawn any zeds whilst still being able to scan the streets (aka: if you see Zeds in the town at this point, there's a player near).

When entering a big city, I stay low and slow at all times. When I hear shots I determine the location and then either move out of the city completely, or move to a different part of town. In very few cases I do go out to hunt the person shooting, but that's only when I have little to lose (barely any gear and an Enfield) and the shooting sounds way too close for my comfort.

In the 3 weeks I've been playing so far, I've only been killed by a player twice. Once by a sniper in Stary and once when completely unarmed in Cherno. Other than that I have seen a lot of players running about close to me, but they can't kill you if they don't even know you're there.

the negative death matching is a natural response to the situation, the game places us in setting and our natural response is to horde and anyone who is a threat gets taken out, its even better if the add to our horde

right now we are essentially hunter/gatherers in our small tribes running around the servers, until we reach the civillisation stage this will remani the norm, the begings of tnihe civilisation we can already see, the number of proposed trading companies, medic corps, and other ideas for player controlled and ruled safe(ish) zones are on the increase and they are starting to appear ingame

its gonan be a transisitional period many will pop up and implode but others will start and stay and the more that make it the more will form and it ill begin to snowball, although there will always be bandits, the bandits will atatck them, the bandits will try to increase thier own strength by taking the toys of others

The thing about this begining of civilisation, is that it is being created in a safe-zone outside of the game, rather than inside it. The way the game is now, it really doesn't allow much to be created ingame. This is my main problem with this mod atm.

From a "shoot when shot at", kinda guy.

Edited by CLewis

There is youth in this whining. The reason this game is "realistic" is that it doesn't force us, guide us or even try to compel us to team up, although the majority of us run in at least groups of two. If you want zombie WoW, please go agitate for it.

I mean, hell, I think we should level up AND BE ABLE TO FORM PARTIES and get quests from quest givers and have HIGH END VS LOW END GEAR AND YOU CAN ONLY SHOOT SOMEONE IF THEY AGREE TO A DUEL.

You guys can suck my beans, this game is good because it's raw and let's us decide how to play. I know plenty of people who play peacefully with others, but they do it by grouping up together and never meeting others. :P

Edited by WisdomSnork
  • Like 1

I remember in earlier Day Z with the bandit skins still implemented, where not as many people were bandits. But they were all eventually desensitized by being killed so many times.

R.I.P all you Friendlies.

Given that this game is all about survival and the players haven't (yet) formed a black list of KOS bandits, it just makes no sense to trust anyone not in your skype call.

This is simply "working as intended". I won't even play with a friend of a friend, not knowing if they might see my bling gear and want to take it and I that is the way it SHOULD be.

As long as any player can pilfer your pack by being within 5 feet of you or end days of gameplay with one shot to the back of your head, there is no reason to ever trust anyone. And if this whining ever successfully gets that dynamic changed, I will cry tears of blood on the altar of easy mode.

Edited by WisdomSnork

I followed the discussion here with some interest, and just thought I wanted to bring in my own perspective.

Personally, I have shot with intent to kill twice in this game. First time a clanmate of mine walked out of a door into a hail of bullets. The killer tried to get me, but a crossbow bolt made him think the better of it. A couple of days later I logged in inside a barn, and got shot in the back without warning after a few steps by a guy on second floor.

Even later on, I am looting the supermarket in Elektrozavodsk when I hear coughing in the room beside me and hit the deck. Sure enough, soon after a person come crawling into the backroom, but he does not see me. He is, however, carrying a long gun of sorts. At that point I took the decision to open up on him with my M1911. I do not kill him, but he is trapped in a room and is forced to log out.

So why did I shoot? Well, I had just found most of the tools necessary to survive in the wilderness, including a czech backpack. Never before had I laid my hand on so much wealth, and given that the other guy still had a coyote patrol pack, I could not be 100% positive that he would not kill me. In fact, no matter his amount of gear relative to mine. I could not be certain that he would not kill me, simply because he could not be certain that I would not kill him. This has nothing to do with either of us being sociopathics, douchebags or evil, just scared.

All of this lead me to think that the philosophy of Thomas Hobbes is extremely relevant to the game. His theory of state is based on the assumption that anyone is in a position to kill anyone, and thus the rational choice is to subdue everyone else. His unfortunate implication is dictatorship to ensure a monopoly of violence. The gaming equivalent would be disabling PvP, something that would kill the suspension in the game.

If we want this to change, there has to be a much stronger incentive to abstain from killing. It might be that zombies are able to smell human blood from very far away, so you have to evacuate the combat zone immediately. Zombies being attracted to gunfire ought to put down some of the more triggerhappy campers, especially if their pathfinding improves to get rid of snipers.

But for now, I shoot people I cannot avoid. I'd rather hide and evade, but I cannot afford the risk. Hobbes wins the day.

• Like 1

Yes, I do that all the time. Like at the hangar north of Balota. I kill any unarmed person I see anywhere near there. Why? Because someone with nothing has nothing to lose and everything to gain, and there are freakin guns nearby for an "unarmed" person to pick up.

Your Lee Enfield is just as good or better as my slightly cooler assault rifle and can kill as certainly as any gun can. Only way I can be sure you're not circling around for a kill once you pick up a weapon is to kill you before you get a weapon.

My way of playing:

Shoot no one, unless they attack me. I've killed many bandits who tried to kill me.

I supply new players food/drinks/bandages when they are friendly..I've had some thieves who I've had to shoot down.

When I do find players, they will NOT team up with me. The only people I'll trust are those that I agree to play with from these forums or Reddit. (None of my friends want to play DayZ :( )

Edited by rhiot
  • Like 1

The thing about this begining of civilisation, is that it is being created in a safe-zone outside of the game, rather than inside it. The way the game is now, it really doesn't allow much to be created ingame. This is my main problem with this mod atm.

From a "shoot when shot at", kinda guy.

its the only way to organise, not like we can havea town hall meeeting

but its filtering into game and thatss the important bit, freesdie trading was declared doomed from the start, bandits would swarm all over and pick it apart, log in in the middle of and just go mental yada yada yada yeah they get hit now and again but do a good job defending the area

i call myself a borderline bandit/survivor i dont run around chunro like a dick death matching im up north running around having fun and on the rare occassions i spot people i shoot them, much more interesting to me to find people to hunt then sit in a bush at NWAF and wait for someone to turn up, ill lurk around outside, or north of the AF looking for people who have been there and are carrying phat loots away to thier squirrel holes

cant wait till it spreads and ecomes the norm, gives me more places to hunt, raises the stakes becasue i know theres a tent city full of guards just over that hill, who are armed organised and mobile, becasue i dont go beund mid map point almost everyone i could walk into IS ARMED and DANGEROUS, i can completley understand the killing becasue any minute now they will become a threat but i prefer it up here in the wilds and thats what i see these player controlled safe zones doing pulling the crowd away from the coast, they are set up mid map, the bandits move with them, people using them move with them

leaving churno to kill counter noobs and noobs

Guys, guns & zombies. Trapped on a coast. What the hell you think was gonna happen? Wall all gather round a bus and sing Kumbaya together?

This. How fucking boring would this game be if we weren't all trying to kill each other? It's what makes the game so awesome; it's Russian Battle Royale with zombies.

it's Russian Battle Royale with zombies

THIS. I think people keep expecting they're going have a Zombie mmo on their hands lol LETS HAVE CLASSES OMG AND HATS.

ROCKET PLS ADD HATS.

Yesterday when i logged on, I thought about this forum and I logged into stary (logged in a field and ran to stary). I always come from the woods to see if anyone is camping the tents, of course I see a guy. I slowly approach him and ask him if he is friendly. He turns around real fast and starts shooting immediately. I killed him and I guess he had a buddy in the woods also because I got hit some more and died.

Lol and this is the reason why I just shoot anyone I see unless I know them off hand.

Most of us "have enough friends". Honestly, if you asked me on here to be friendly and play a game with you, I would! But if I see you out in game first, I can only assume that you'd find it safer with me dead than alive... So I'll shoot first if I get the chance. It's not personal, just survival.

Try harder. You don't understand my sentence and your videos, aswell.

maybe ask a friend who is mroe fluent in english to edit it for you so it makes more sense then and i dont have to guess what your saying,

i understand the video's fine, similar experiments have been done with several animal species, the fun thing is social animals co-operate effectivley but every now and again when the chance presents its self one of them may choose to freeload off the others work, they understand co-operation and fairness and that opens the door to them understanding cheating

Jane Goodall - "there isn't a sharp line dividing humans from the rest of the animal kingdom -- it's a very wuzzy line -- and it's getting wuzzy-er all the time"

the ahrder we look the less we find, everything we thought was purley human we find in nature, it may be a less refined form but its there

Edited by stuffnthings
  • Like 1

Guys, I think your argument over what we do most naturally is a bit irrelevant when, rather than youtube videos, we can simply examine what a few tens of thousands of humans do when put into a survival simulation. I mean it's the perfect direct experience experiment in exactly what you two are arguing about.

And apparently what we do is kill eachother mercilessly and protect our meager holdings with our lives.

Apparently most people are bandits in a life or death situation where 99% of the people are armed as we are :]

Edited by WisdomSnork

So, here am I, playing DayZ for allmost two month now, and what can I say, since the newest Patch is out? The game crippeld into a mess of brainless Player-Shooting dickheads. Sorry to say it that hard... Since everybody knows that Ghillies and other Camo's once more spawn around Cherno and Elektro people seem to forget their standard brain functions. I spawned seven times on 5 different servers, went into town, entered the first building with NOTHING on me and got shot instantly by geared up players instead of talking to me. I know that PvP is a main part, but guys, seriously?

I like both Bandits and Survivors, but this is simply enough for me. Shooting unarmed players, newly spawned, it's funny when you get spawn sniped, annoying yes, but I ran from Kamenka, Otmel or Crutoy Cap into the towns and got shot with nothing. My consequence: From now on I will be shooting everybody on sight too and normally I am a player who helps people, gives morphine and blood bags to strangers.

There were two sides: Bad Guys and Good Guys, but now there is only one: shoot, never ask questions.

To all those who still want to keep faith and help people: You have my respect, for me this ideal died today and my heart cries, it really does.

Learn to stealth better?, or better yet, stay away from big towns. Those places are vortexes that draw in all the bandits. Why should they bother looting their own stuff if they can have yours? If you have nothing, you're target practice to decrease their chances of missing the next guy who actually has stuff worth looting.