Fraggle (DayZ)

Making forests scary at night.

I'll keep this brief and to the point.

Currently at night the forests are a bit of a safe haven (no Zeds, no wildlife). I'd like to see something implemented that makes the forests much more treacherous places to be at night, or at least just bloody scary. Post your ideas below. That is all.

• Like 4

The fact that they are pitch black most of the time and there could be other players already makes them terrifying. I think that random zombie spawns (pretty low chance?) could be added to spice forest up in general, day or night. Because it is otherwise for the most part a deadspace in the gameplay where you run in between towns.

I like the idea of adding a hazard, as long as it isn't terrifying like a mutant that was once suggested, or Slenderman, or spiders, or Miley Cyrus' voice in the wind, or Justin Assweiner. You know, maybe like 1 to 5 zombies per every 500-1000 meters?

Edited by CarloNord

I like the idea of adding a hazard, as long as it isn't terrifying like a mutant that was once suggested, or Slenderman, or spiders, or Miley Cyrus' voice in the wind, or Justin Assweiner. You know, maybe like 1 to 5 zombies per every 500-1000 meters?

Agreed. Probably the simplest way to do it at the moment would be the odd random spawn of a crawler or two just to keep your your toes. Maybe with a nice tweak to the usual Zed sounds just to make people brick themselves.

I'll keep this brief and to the point.

Currently at night the forests are a bit of a safe haven (no Zeds, no wildlife). I'd like to see something implemented that makes the forests much more treacherous places to be at night, or at least just bloody scary. Post your ideas below. That is all.

I agree with this idea, however, don't make zombies spawn around players. Just make a set amount of zombies spawned randomly in a map then wandering to random direction around the map. The killed zombies out of normal spawn locations (empty forest and open fields) will respawn after 6 or so hours at random location throughout the map.

• Like 4

yes yes and yes.

Theres so much that could happen/could do. I would even love to see maybe a random event of with a chopper that flies over with a search light or even something super rare like a ghost here and there for more intriguing rare events

Or even just some rare sound of something fucked up here and there :D

godamn i love this game

• Like 2

I agree with this idea, however, don't make zombies spawn around players. Just make a set amount of zombies spawned randomly in a map then wandering to random direction around the map. The killed zombies out of normal spawn locations (empty forest and open fields) will respawn after 6 or so hours at random location throughout the map.

It'd have to do a check so it doesn't spawn right on a player, a minimum distance of like 100-200 meters? Imagine just walking along and then *boop* surrounded by 10 zombies.

Two words;

Slender Man

No.

(If I could post an image to convey my NOPE-ness I would, anyone else get an error?)

No.

(If I could post an image to convey my NOPE-ness I would, anyone else get an error?)

Everyone would band together and fortify the cities, lmao.

Ghosts, slendermen (or man), mutants. They all don't make sense judging by the current style of the game and / or story. Mutants PERHAPS, I assume. Depends on the details.

Bottom line: No place is safe, not even a forest in the middle of nowhere. Reason? Players. I'm open to new stuff, but I like the current way it is: Places with no buildings (loot) around being basically zombie-free. It gives players a place to rest, without taking the risk (other players).

Everyone would band together and fortify the cities, lmao.

More like they'd form a massive group of guys and just go looting like a swarm of locusts. (Independence Day reference anyone?)

Maybe make some witch type of zombie (I know it looks like L4D) but it would creep me out hearing some weird zombie witch moan like doing some weird ass witchcraft.

Just more ambient sounds would be nice - low moans on the wind, occasional distant human screams etc. (though I'd also go for a low zombie spawn rate all over the map).

• Like 1

Yeah, I'd certainly like to see the forest more scary. Ambiance sounds would be needed the most and then the odd zombie or two.

Sounds should always have a source, no background noise or some screams coming from nowhere..

Sounds should always have a source, no background noise or some screams coming from nowhere..

I agree that it would be nice if the sounds could have a source (e.g. randomly spawned in 'events' near to the player) - but that's waaaaay out of scope of the mod for now. Have you played S.T.A.L.K.E.R.? Lots of nice ambient sounds in there (dog howls, weird noises etc.) Also note that you never spot the birds making calls in the base game? ;-)

Adding sounds at night like owls and insects. In the cities add zombie cries and screaming.

I'll vote for this idea. Having a campfire with the insects and owls sounds around is simply awesome. Reminds me of when I was camping at a wild mountain. :)

I'm all for adding more ambient sounds in plains and forests, owls and distant zombie moans have already been mentioned and I'd like to further endorse these. A low chance for 1-2 zombies spawning in woods would also be nice. Feels kinda strange walking around the huge barren lands and forests without seeing a single... well.. something. Someone also mentioned an event where a helicopter would randomly fly over the map with a searchlight, I like the idea, not hard to implement too, while not too much on topic I am too all for it.

I'm all for adding more ambient sounds in plains and forests, owls and distant zombie moans have already been mentioned and I'd like to further endorse these. A low chance for 1-2 zombies spawning in woods would also be nice. Feels kinda strange walking around the huge barren lands and forests without seeing a single... well.. something. Someone also mentioned an event where a helicopter would randomly fly over the map with a searchlight, I like the idea, not hard to implement too, while not too much on topic I am too all for it.

You know what would be interesting? If you could shoot the chopper down and then if it survived, repair it and use it.

The Dayz team have a brilliant idea of a world where you have to eat and drink and survive while fighting with other players to stay alive,but they fail as a game developer of anything scary.Dayz fails in scariness due to one major thing and that is predictability.What is scary is the unknown as most movies try to hide the terror from the players as long s they can which builds the fear even more.Same thing in games with some that were truly scary that players all over the world were jumping out of their seats.The original Resident Evil was one of them as was Stalker.

So what I am thinking here is that the infected should actually be rare....spawn around the players instead of towns...and be super hard to kill.Think of constantly listening for that sound of an infected being near everywhere you go.Will there be one in the forest or in the towns etc.With them much more rare but very hard to kill and powerful you will come to once again fear them as they should be feared.