Obsolescence

Can't you just shoot them in the head?

You know what? I'll just repeat myself, it's easier that way.

Here goes, it's about balance vs realism:

"I play for the immersion, the feeling that I'm actually there trying to survive. I like sneaking around, listening to the creaking branches and the birds, knowing that someone might be close and that a single bullet can kill me.

That feeling is lost with the changes in 1.62, and I really think that sucks. It's not like there's a ton of other places I can go to find a smiliar experience, but people who want a 'Boom-headshot-lololol' multiplayer shooter have options a plenty."

Also, the search function is your friend, there are already several threads discussing this.

This one for example: http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/47669-just-to-make-things-clear-weapons-nerf-is-not-a-dayz-patch/

The thing is, in 1.7.2.3 and 1.7.2.4 zeds spawn constantly and if you try to loot something, you must keep killing that spawning zombies. My point is, better balance spawn first, guns after. I don't want to kill zeds with axe, when i have my bison or Makarov or whatever it is.

It's not the "old" community that's the problem, early in development the zombies were actually a challenge and you had to work together.

The problem I see with the rebalancing of the weapons is that it went a little too far with the pistols, having to shoot a zombie 3times in the body with a .45 to kill it is a little excessive considering the small amount of ammo you can carry, headshots aren't always viable and you can't always just run into a building. Consider the impact of this when zombies can run inside buildings(which we've been told is coming)...

I think the majority of players still want a challenging experience, unfortunately that isn't what we have at the moment... what we have is zombies that are stupidly easy to aggro or lose and an entire range of pistols which are more worthless against a Z than just walking away. It's not hard having to shoot a Z 6 times with a glock... just annoying.

I wonder how many people would be supporting this if they werent running around with a revolver/1911 with infinite ammo?

you made my day , im not crazy , its just other players that are stupid and dosent understand game dynamics changed so much that the game is ruined. with less emotions and less immersion.

and like little fanboy of rocket they are , they just lick lick lick the feet. and close close close the eyes and brain.

Edited by bwarky
  • Like 1

I dont think the problem lies with the actual damage, sure you can argue that .45 would knock the living snot out of someone, but its the fact that the zombie pathing is borked and annoying. Its really hard to hit a zombie that is running full speed and turning 90 degrees every second. They either fix the weapon damage or the way the damn zombies run.

The fact that AK damage is weaker than an M4 is ridiculous. Then look at the fact they now consider a crossbow shot to be more lethal than a .45 or a round from an AK and it's just silly. Most of the supporters are trying hard to be fanboys but they don't realize Rocket himself said on reddit he wasn't aware this change occured and will see what can be done.

Edited by Lipton
  • Like 1

Lets be honest the zombies animations are extermely clunky and they warp like fuck. Doing headshots in the open when they are chasing you isnt exactly viable.. indoors or on stairs yes.

The zig zaging got me killed loads in the last few hours lol

I now just think that the infected just Don't feel pain and the only sure way to stop a raging maniac is a bullet to the head.

Just because your shooting center mass probably the raging infected wouldn't even notice it, what would be good to add is that the infected will drop after a small amount time from a chest shot, bleed out like we do.

Edited by paranoid101

Once again, aiming at the head is a stupid reply. They aren't zombies. They're infected, living humans. Don't tell me that people can ignore a .45 to the chest and keep running. It's not the pain that stops them, it's the destruction of their body.

Edited by Caz

I love how the general response to "Infected are human and would die instantly when the heart (since they are human and rely on blood/oxygen) is turned into pulp" is... "no, you should totally game the system and take advantage of them having to shuffle when indoors".

Fact of the matter is, these are not undead. They might not feel any pain, but they sure rely on the same internal organs we do.

Do I think a .45 shot to the ankle should kill them? Hell no. But a .45 shot to the center of the chest? Absolutely.A pair of 9mm shots to base of the neck? Absolutely. A headshot with, well, anything? Absolutely.

Now, is any human body taking 5 .45 rounds or 8 9mm rounds to the upper torso before dying completely stupid? Absolutely.

As to the "walking while indoors" thing, Rocket's been trying to get rid of that, but it was way too buggy when tested. Whatcha gonna do when that goes away, pray for enough time to disconnect when you get cornered by 12 infected (that are much much faster than you) in a barn?

• Like 3

Considering even throwing a can while prone involves the animation taking 5 minutes to do jumping jacks and throw the can TWICE, plus the constant lag and low framerates - "just shoot em in the head" sounds like a comment from someone who hasn't actually played the game yet.

Or go ahead, you do that.

Good luck.

Personally, I don't usually have a problem with head shots unless it's those hopper crouched zombies...their hit box feels odd to me.

That being said, I'm more comfortable with a body shot--larger target, and given lag and desync, I'd rather quickly place two or three rounds in the torso.

If it's a player, I put rounds down range and into them steadily until I see them fall over, and then I put a few more down range to be sure. When I approach to loot, I'll usually put one more in the head just to be sure. Wasting ammo? I don't think so, since this has saved my life more than once. A teammate and I, combined, put 4 mags into a player from a 1911, and that player still had time to axe my teammate before he fell over dead. This was before any nerf. Sometimes servers don't react as well as you'd hope they do.

Some of the weapon damage doesn't make complete sense to me, but I approach this game with an Adapt. Overcome. Survive mentality. Regardless of what the developers do to this game, I will still try to find some way to survive. If it means being aware that my bullets hit like nerf darts, then so be it. I'll carry more ammunition, try harder for the head, and pull the trigger center mass faster.

Edited by Baelethal

aim to the fucking HEAD. how it should be. dont say its impossible in the open. run backwards, stop shortly till they are near and stop to slap you. 3steps back: POP.

crybabies.

Couldnt of said it any better myself.

I'm confused, weren't people asking for more challenging zombies?

now that you actually have to fear the zeds people are complaining. I don't care infected/zombies head shots always lethal end of story. body shots don't mean immediate death and being in a fevered state with little to no pain sense they will keep coming. unless you hit the heart you are not going to get immediate death. just because you shoot something doesn't mean it will die right away. not saying it doesn't do damage but it won't necessarily mean insta-death.

people finally get what they want and start complaining that it is to hard. the changes are made by people who know what the guns are capable of doing so stop belly aching. the changes were for arma2 not dayz. dayz is just living in armas world and should be influenced by the changes made for the MILITARY simulation, and just saying I think they know whats what when it comes to guns.

Edited by Zera_Grey

I'm confused, weren't people asking for more challenging zombies?

No need to be confused, I'll explain.

The zeds aren't the problem, but the fact that a player can absorb a full magazine worth of bullets from a 45 caliber pistol is a wee bit off.

No need to be confused, I'll explain.

The zeds aren't the problem, but the fact that a player can absorb a full magazine worth of bullets from a 45 caliber pistol is a wee bit off.

well I going out on a limb in saying that either they are falsly advertising or people who watch to much movies are trying to decide what a gun is capable of. on the site for arma2 they advertise whats below straight off their weapons page and a link to prove I'm not just bullshitting.

Arma 2 features a variety of personal weapons, grenades, artillery pieces & tripod- or vehicle-mounted weapon platforms. All weapons and their features were created according to the specifications of their real-life counterparts.

Features:

Accurate models including graphics, sounds and animations.

Variants with different scopes and accessories, including collimator sights, optical sights, grenade launchers or silencers.

Optics have realistic zoom and field-of-view settings and reticles.

Animated parts for shooting and reloading (triggers, receivers, ammo belts) and eject brass.

Customized character animations for holding weapons based on inverse kinematics.

Simulation of bullet ballistics, including material penetration and bullet deflection.

Ammunition power and magazine compatibility according to the real life.

Impact effects and sounds for various materials in the environment.

Tracer rounds are used in a realistic way.

http://www.arma2.com...y/index_en.html

the player issue is that dayz players have more blood then the average arma2 player at least from what I have heard which is why their is a discrepancy between bullets and damage not the updates fault.

Edited by Zera_Grey

well I going out on a limb in saying that either they are falsly advertising or people who watch to much movies are trying to decide what a gun is capable of. on the site for arma2 they advertise whats below straight off their weapons page and a link to prove I'm not just bullshitting.

Arma 2 features a variety of personal weapons, grenades, artillery pieces & tripod- or vehicle-mounted weapon platforms. All weapons and their features were created according to the specifications of their real-life counterparts.

Features:

Accurate models including graphics, sounds and animations.

Variants with different scopes and accessories, including collimator sights, optical sights, grenade launchers or silencers.

Optics have realistic zoom and field-of-view settings and reticles.

Animated parts for shooting and reloading (triggers, receivers, ammo belts) and eject brass.

Customized character animations for holding weapons based on inverse kinematics.

Simulation of bullet ballistics, including material penetration and bullet deflection.

Ammunition power and magazine compatibility according to the real life.

Impact effects and sounds for various materials in the environment.

Tracer rounds are used in a realistic way.

http://www.arma2.com...y/index_en.html

You do realize it said that both before and after it was changed? How do you explain that?

And no, 'watching too many movies' did not give me the impression that people die to gunfire. They do, it's a fact.

You do realize it said that both before and after it was changed? How do you explain that?

And no, 'watching too many movies' did not give me the impression that people die to gunfire. They do, it's a fact.

never said that being shoot doesn't kill but insta-death from one shot is not an absolute definitely when shooting at a body. and as I said the calculations are for the original arma2 not for dayz as from what I heard we have more blood then the base arma2 which is why it seems ineffective it works for the original game not dayz.

not sure how they receive there data for calculating weapon effectiveness but I would assume they do testing. I also sent an email to them asking about it hopefully I will get a response. best way to figure something out is to ask the developers how they do it.

rocket just has to create a dayz side fix to help level it out to something reasonable for the mod itself. till then grin and bare it because arma 2 fixes are for arma2 as I said Dayz is just living in Arma2's world it isn't arma 2 and can't dictate how they update the base game.

Edited by Zera_Grey

The zombies are laggy as fuck, and you expect perfect headshots? Good luck predicting where they will be in the next 2 seconds once they see you. The only way I can headshot them is if they are next to me or running right at me.

The zombies are laggy as fuck, and you expect perfect headshots? Good luck predicting where they will be in the next 2 seconds once they see you. The only way I can headshot them is if they are next to me or running right at me.

its not like zombies are not killable it just takes more to kill them. if anything this adds challenge to zombies and makes you think about ammo. against players not so helpful, rocket needs to keep the zombies taking more to kill but also change players so that it takes less to kill other players.

Edited by Zera_Grey

Pretty much this.

I wouldn't mind the update if zombies had predictable movement patterns and headshotting a zombie sprinting at you was actually an acheiveable feat. However it's not so instead of going for the glory headshot we use more ammo at the center mass where a hit is more guranteed and thus we walk away in better shape. The update punishes people who use this more practical zombie dispatch method. Why line up a headshot on a zombie teleporting around when you can double or triple tap them in the chest much faster?

Edited by zython
  • Like 1

I'm new to Dayz. I've been playing for a little over a week, and from what I've read and watched prior to playing, most players shot zombies in the head, so that is what I have been doing from the beginning for me. The changes to the weapons are not really bothersome for me because I've always been aiming for the head when I shoot.

• Like 1

I wouldn't mind the need to shoot in the head, however, when it is already hard enough to shoot a zombie as it super sprints towards you in a zigzag pattern, and when their heads move so suddenly even without aggro, the revolver and m1911 should have remained as they were.

pretty sure players can survive 4 AK hits to the chest.

so yeah, there are ppl like OP that will say 'just aim for the head'

but i guess common sense dictates that something is really wrong with this shit from a pvp perspective.

It's their game/mod and we'll just have to play inside the boundaries.

I think the bitching about gun damage is more about the PvP aspect of dayZ. I haven't noticed a problem killing zombies. But I'm usually over 60% headshot rate :)