jimykx

My rant on why DayZ is getting worse

Before reading and commenting: -My English is definitely not perfect but I will give my best.

- I'm not looking for a tutorial on how to play this game so don't tell me "You need to sneak and head to the barns first"

-This is the suggestions forum tab and this is MY opinion,I'm trying to improve the game so don't give me the excuse : "uuh but the game is still in alpha"

-I'm not saying the game is too hard or too easy. I'm mentioning the issues that could be fixed to make it a better and more solid experience overall

-Reading through the whole post actually gives you a valid reason to reply, assuming you understood my point of view and where I want to get.

With every update the game gets I lose a little bit of interest in the mod because it gets progressively worse.

First, new players lost any kind of self defense they had when they spawned. Thanks to this you are worthless and you have no method of protecting yourself against zombies or more powerful players. You can't push zombies, you can't even punch them like you would in real life. Damn, at least let us start with a melee weapon. A freaking spoon, I don't care.

Second, it appears to me that now you are much more likely to aggro zombies. It has happened about countless time when I'm prone and suddenly see a zombie running, coming from like the other corner of the map and sprinting directly at me. Or I'm scavenging a small wooden house and suddenly a zombie spawns on top of me. How is this possible? Ow, and did I already mentioned that I had no way of defending myself?

Then comes the bleeding. A zombie hits you once and you start bleeding like there is no tomorrow. Really? Bleeding from scratches should not be so aggressive and drastic ( but Honestly the bleeding is not what affects me the most).

Fourth comes the running away from zombies. Do I have to say the obvious? It's almost impossible unless you take them indoors.

In the end you end up dying from thirst or hunger because you spent all of the time running away from a zombie that you could not kill, or trying to avoid them.

My final issue comes with the fact that it seems to be easier to find windshields, tires and engines in small villages than it is to find food.

After this specific patch (1.7.2.4) I had to create this thread. Why? Because of the "[NEW] Hive now tracks login/logout (to assist in analysis for an ALT+F4 solution)"

YES, I use it. NOT IN PVP. But in PVE. Why? Because I got tired of spending hours walking and avoiding zombies, finding only crap loot and aggrowing that only zombie that I have no way to kill and that I will end up dieing to. So, to catch my first weapon I adopted the tactic of sprinting to a place where I can find loot, logout to loose the aggro, login and loot it.

Do I have to mention again why am I forced to do this?

I'm tired of losing hours going all splinter cell, entering a building, notice it has only cans and when I want to leave it a zombie spawned right in front of the only stairs I can use and I still have no way of being agressive.

Honestly, I truly believe that the next patch will make you start with only a stick and give you the option: "stick it up your ass and enjoy" or something like that. Because that's where the mod is heading.

If the game wasn't hard enough because of the lag and bugs, now you can't even have your own problems because it will penalize if you disconnect for any reason and when you come back short while you will be stunned for a couple of minutes just to avoid from other players to jump from servers to pick loot were they start. What about switch and/or add some basic game mechanics so people don't try to exploit the mod? Me and my clan were having a lot of fun for the last week until it was all f*d up again..

Instead of changing the mechanics to avoid exploits, why don't you add basic things that MAKE the players NOT feel the need to exploit? I believe adding a melee weapon to starting characters would solve half of these issues.

Seriously, I love this mod. It's one of my favorite game modifications but I think it lacks some sense in it's features right now. Instead of immediately preventing players to do something you do not want them to do: alt-f4 to avoid being killed by zombies, or increase brightness to see better at night why don't you try to actually investigate why that is happening and fix it from the root?

Let me do the hard work for you. Players increase gamma and brightness because you can't see anything at night. I enjoy this but honestly, In real life I live in a small village where there is very little light pollution, and in the night you can see much better than what you see in the game (which is pretty much pitch black). Not to mention when there is full moon, you can see almost as well as if it was day. I'm not telling you you should be able to see much better at night because I understand perfectly the important component of fear etc the night brings, and I do not want to make the different light sources obsolete, but why not lighten up the night just a little small bit?

- After reading my whole opinion you might also want to read:

- tempestfeir post on the second page of this thread.

- Xeroph jayp.uncensored TheProphecy Colditz posts on the third page of the thread.

Edited by jimykx
  • Like 20

There are ways to do what you're doing without logging out.

I think the game is too easy.

Haven't played the new patch yet, though.

You should find a mate with more experience to show you the ropes.

• Like 5

U mad bro? Get better dont rambo around sneak more stay out of big cities move to smaller towns inland with good loot.

• Like 1

I do believe the game is getting harder and in my opinion you should start with some way to protect yourself (maybe fists) and I think its odd that i can find a windshield or a tire more likely than finding a cigar box or batteries but I still think Rocket has something planned that will blow our faces right off. I hope rocket can prove me right

• Like 4

Don't forget that 9/10 other players are out to get you and will kill you on sight. And there are no vehicles because all the clans hoard them and make sure no one else gets a vehicles. And that tents don't work so you can't store stuff. And that zombies can appear through walls behind and knock you out without you even knowing what hit you. And it now takes a full clip from any pistol just to kill a single zombie now, if you manage to find a pistol. And the assault rifles are pointless when it comes to zombies also.

• Like 6

alpha test... don't expect perfection just because you spent time playing. i personally have no problem with the difficulty, can get equipped from scratch in no time. just be smart about it.

• Like 7

With every update the game gets I loose a little bit of interest in the mod because it gets progressively worse.

Loose does NOT equal lose... <_<

• Like 2

U mad bro? Get better dont rambo around sneak more stay out of big cities move to smaller towns inland with good loot.

No shit sherlock.You think I don't know that already? Did you even read what I wrote. I shouldn't even bother answering to you since your answer makes you look like someone who looked at this post and was like "too long didn't read." You think I haven't read the countless guides, watched million of videos and tutorials. The thing is that you have absolutely no way to defend yourself of be aggressive against a zombie. What if you are staying out of a big city, sneaking in a barn, you stupidly aggro a zombie that spawned there, sprint into the barn hoping that there is a way for you to defend yourself and all you find is car parts and empty cans. You can't even throw the cans at the goddamn zombie.

Thanks for the grammar correction xD. I'm sorry for the bad English but I really love this mod and I needed to share my opinion and make a point.

Edited by jimykx
  • Like 4

at what point the "it's alpha" excuse doesn't count anymore, maybe in version v5.2.3.4?

• Like 3

I think the game is just fine right now...

Arma 2 is a game for people that have patience. You will succeed if you take your time and not run around. I can run away from a zombie pretty easy by just crouching around a bush or run up a hill. Zombies also SUCK on meleeing so I can just run around them in close quarters.

I do hate the anti alt+f4 though, if my internet dies I will become unconscious.

But people have different tastes in gameplay, that I understand. I am not judging you at all.

Edited by Etmer
  • Like 2

FINALLY someone talk some sense..i truly believe that the core mechanics of this mod are the real deal here, if at least you could buy a house to store your stuff that could be robbed or something like that would make me feel like i wanna play that again, but that's just me saying.. - Stick to the ass is great solution at this point of the game!

• Like 2

This game just has a really steep learning curve. Adapt. Overcome. Survive. If you want something easy and gilded, this isn't what you want.

I encourage you to find a group. I encourage you to keep trying. Is this game frustrating? You betcha. Is it rewarding once you start to get the hang of it? Big yup.

You can lose a zombie. You don't need a weapon. It's not always about violence....

Edited by Baelethal
  • Like 2

- Find a bush

- Run through bush

- Zombies are no longer chasing you

As for people exploiting. The idea of DayZ is that it's difficult... With difficulty comes cheaters, simple.

alpha test... don't expect perfection just because you spent time playing. i personally have no problem with the difficulty, can get equipped from scratch in no time. just be smart about it.

Suggestions tab... Don't expect people to post gratitude stuff here just because the mod is still in alpha and does not deserve to be criticized because of that. Just be smart about it.

• Like 3

This game just has a really steep learning curve. Adapt. Overcome. Survive. If you want something easy and gilded, this isn't what you want.

I encourage you to find a group. I encourage you to keep trying. Is this game frustrating? You betcha. Is it rewarding once you start to get the hang of it? Big yup.

You can lose a zombie. You don't need a weapon. It's not always about violence....

I've actually gotten into a forest and ran 20 maybe 30 ft from it without it right behind since i vaulted. it lost interest. then ran at me again D:

• Like 1

That is really the point in this thread!

i could bet all my beans that i own in my character that if this game didn't had that much points to exploit, it really didn't had that much players playing it right now - read this: The base mechanics are broken and they are making this patches to cover it up!

• Like 1

this game is easy, the only challenge are bandits. so just learn how to play it properly using stealth/assault tactics.

this game is easy, the only challenge are bandits. so just learn how to play it properly using stealth/assault tactics.

i believe that he was talking about the bad leading of the game, not how to play it..

• Like 2

- Find a bush

- Run through bush

- Zombies are no longer chasing you

As for people exploiting. The idea of DayZ is that it's difficult... With difficulty comes cheaters, simple.

The game is not that simple, but I'll try explain in a way you'll understand.

- Approach barn undetected

- Notice barn has no useful items

- Zombie spawns on you or is alerted in a very weird way

- You start bleeding

- You just realized you have no more bandages

- Oops, you're dead.

Does this happens to players who already have weapons? Nope. Once you have a way of defending yourself chances are you will only be killed by bandits and not by zombies, unless you are really stupid.

Also, with difficulty comes cheaters? Get your facts straight. There are and will always be cheaters EVERYWHERE. In COD, that is like the easiest FPS you can play, there are proportionally more hackers than there are in this mod/game.

Edited by jimykx
  • Like 4

I know you can give suggestions here, but here's mine. If you're too pissed at the game, either 1. Don't play the game and don't worry about it, or 2. Make a game yourself and make it how you want it instead of telling the developers pretty much they made a shitty ass game when in fact tons of people love it.

This thread seems best to post my Review of sorts...

As My Experience has been this past week;

Of the 100+ times I've had to re-spawn due to death, most of them have been player based. I believe that there needs to be something drastically done to curb pvp killing. Maybe make being a mass murderer a negative effect on a player some how. As it stands, besides having a group of close friends who dished out the 30 bucks to "BUY THIS MOD" and not the arma game, How does this "hardcore Zombie real life simulator" simulate reality? In reality not everyone is going to shoot everyone on sight, and yes, there is strength in numbers. Now in this game? I've run around screaming in direct channel when I've had a shot popped off at me, "I'm friendly I have nothing please don't kill me",(On Average I have an axe, and maybe a hunting knife) It's worked 1.5 out of 30 times, that .5 I was in a shopping mall in Elektro, went to pick up stuff, and a player started screaming at me, so I said my line, I then went around and avoided zombies, went back in and picking up something different (I thought this player didn’t want) to find out I'm dead and he'd been camping behind a shelf this 2nd time. Another clear example of how clearly most players are criminal; I asked for help from anyone when I was on-top of Electrova's hospital. What was the help for? I was at 4000 blood, and I asked someone to blood transfuse me, and what did I get? A sniper shot to the head... I do not and refuse to believe that there are over 2 thousand people in this world who given a chance would shoot first and ask questions later.

Now on to the more important REAL GAME BUGS, It is absolutely ridiculous to try to shoot a zombie while it's moving, I have good aim, I've been playing FPS since I was a small boy, I'm not claiming in the best of the best snipers in digital existence, Yet it seems like whenever a zombie moves to hit you, you can't hit them. Prime example, I've never had more than an axe usually, It does lovely if you can sneak up and nail a zombie while it's not noticed you. But if the zombie notices you, FIRST, it runs a marathon runner's wet dream of a football field in record time, AWAY FROM YOU, then comes back where with the Winchester on my longest life toon, couldn’t kill it, even though I had hit it 5 times as it was running to me, till it stood still in-front of me still and long enough to make me bleed. The AI in this game takes no account for lag, You can move away from a zombie, but if it's already in its hitting you animation you're gonna bleed regardless.... EDIT: I've seen people in videos use the interior of houses and factory buildings to lose zombies, I haven't seemed to have had much luck with that trick especially if I try to slow down a lil bit to pick up an item that just screamed pick me up.

That brings me on to bleeds, which as original poster stated are ridiculous, I spent probably 3 minutes running from a zombie, lost it for a solid minute, it was nowhere to be seen in the wilderness, went to bandage myself, and it teleports on my ass. In that 3 minutes I went from 12000 blood to 4000, and I was hit once.

I will not talk about nighttime, nighttime is not realistic, done.

The final biggest pet peeve, and this is because I'm still new and Die so much, is it takes 15 minutes on average to load into a game, and I'm running a Core i7, GTX285, and 6gigs of ram... not a bad set up, This has been my biggest frustration, It takes too god damned long to log into this game. On average me and my friends can take up to 30-45 minutes to find a server with the magical right combo of DAYTIME,Version Number, US, Beta Number, ping, and that the server doesn’t boot you for no reason when you try to load. That being said, there should be an option to allow a group of friends, no matter where you are on the server, to spawn in the same general location for 1st time group is set up..... Cause spending 30 - 3 hours, to sneak around major cities and find your friends isn't fun for the poor sucker who's waiting on you finding them, cause they're so new they'll die 5 times while you try to get to their 1st spawn location.

As a last remark, I do like the concept of this game, I realize it's in alpha, but there are still some bloody major issues to be worked out... and the biggest rage inducer is that damned-able load time...

Edit: as this is a suggestions forum, I'm gong to make my suggestions clear: 1.Needs to be incentive for players to not shoot first 2.Zombie AI still needs major tweeking, 3.I don't think the devs are quite there with the bleeding yet. 4.Nightime needs major work, as it is, I'm sure a large percentage of players find day time servers. 5.Loading times are the biggest issue, and I suggest that this be the first thing the devs should look at trying to reduce.

Edited by tempestfeir
  • Like 15

I know you can give suggestions here, but here's mine. If you're too pissed at the game, either 1. Don't play the game and don't worry about it, or 2. Make a game yourself and make it how you want it instead of telling the developers pretty much they made a shitty ass game when in fact tons of people love it.

You know you I can give suggestions here but you clearly do not understand the meaning of a suggestion.

I'll try to explain in a way only you will understand:

If you're too pissed at this thread either: 1- leave it and don't make a comment that does not make sense 2- Read the thread properly instead of accusing me of not enjoying the game. I mentioned multiple times I was creating this thread because I love the mod and I didn't enjoy the path it was taking, but that does not mean I started hating the mod and that I don't want to play it anymore.

• Like 6

This thread seems best to post my Review of sorts...

As My Experience has been this past week;

Of the 100+ times I've had to re-spawn due to death, most of them have been player based. I believe that there needs to be something drastically done to curb pvp killing. Maybe make being a mass murderer a negative effect on a player some how. As it stands, besides having a group of close friends who dished out the 30 bucks to "BUY THIS MOD" and not the arma game, How does this "hardcore Zombie real life simulator" simulate reality? In reality not everyone is going to shoot everyone on sight, and yes, there is strength in numbers. Now in this game? I've run around screaming in direct channel when I've had a shot popped off at me, "I'm friendly I have nothing please don't kill me",(On Average I have an axe, and maybe a hunting knife) It's worked 1.5 out of 30 times, that .5 I was in a shopping mall in Elektro, went to pick up stuff, and a player started screaming at me, so I said my line, I then went around and avoided zombies, went back in and picking up something different (I thought this player didn’t want) to find out I'm dead and he'd been camping behind a shelf this 2nd time. Another clear example of how clearly most players are criminal; I asked for help from anyone when I was on-top of Electrova's hospital. What was the help for? I was at 4000 blood, and I asked someone to blood transfuse me, and what did I get? A sniper shot to the head... I do not and refuse to believe that there are over 2 thousand people in this world who given a chance would shoot first and ask questions later.

Now on to the more important REAL GAME BUGS, It is absolutely ridiculous to try to shoot a zombie while it's moving, I have good aim, I've been playing FPS since I was a small boy, I'm not claiming in the best of the best snipers in digital existence, Yet it seems like whenever a zombie moves to hit you, you can't hit them. Prime example, I've never had more than an axe usually, It does lovely if you can sneak up and nail a zombie while it's not noticed you. But if the zombie notices you, FIRST, it runs a marathon runner's wet dream of a football field in record time, AWAY FROM YOU, then comes back where with the Winchester on my longest life toon, couldn’t kill it, even though I had hit it 5 times as it was running to me, till it stood still in-front of me still and long enough to make me bleed. The AI in this game takes no account for lag, You can move away from a zombie, but if it's already in its hitting you animation you're gonna bleed regardless....

That brings me on to bleeds, which as original poster stated are ridiculous, I spent probably 3 minutes running from a zombie, lost it for a solid minute, it was nowhere to be seen in the wilderness, went to bandage myself, and it teleports on my ass. In that 3 minutes I went from 12000 blood to 4000, and I was hit once.

I will not talk about nighttime, nighttime is not realistic, done.

The final biggest pet peeve, and this is because I'm still new and Die so much, is it takes 15 minutes on average to load into a game, and I'm running a Core i7, GTX285, and 6gigs of ram... not a bad set up, This has been my biggest frustration, It takes too god damned long to log into this game. On average me and my friends can take up to 30-45 minutes to find a server with the magical right combo of DAYTIME,Version Number, US, Beta Number, ping, and that the server doesn’t boot you for no reason when you try to load. That being said, there should be an option to allow a group of friends, no matter where you are on the server, to spawn in the same general location for 1st time group is set up..... Cause spending 30 - 3 hours, to sneak around major cities and find your friends isn't fun for the poor sucker who's waiting on you finding them, cause they're so new they'll die 5 times while you try to get to their 1st spawn location.

As a last remark, I do like the concept of this game, I realize it's in alpha, but there are still some bloody major issues to be worked out... and the biggest rage inducer is that damned-able load time...

Thanks for being one of the few people with common sense in this thread. I don't know if you read my whole thread or not, but from your post I see that you agree with me and that you actually have a valid point and bothered explaining it. You have my beans

I'm sorry for the double post but I can't seem to find a way to delete this one so that I can just edit the previous one and add the quote there.

Edited by jimykx
  • Like 4

The OP is so right, you have my beans, dude. Especially the zombies spotting you from half a mile away and running to you are very annoying and unrealistic. This has happened to me, and to defend myself I had to stand up 'cos I was prone. When I stood up there were 10 other zombies spotting me, and hell brake loose. I was dead a few seconds later, 'cos I was surrounded by zeds. This is really annoying me.

And I agree to the other points, too. I just picked this one out 'cos I think this is worst.

• Like 6