jimykx

My rant on why DayZ is getting worse

This is a survival game, why do people keep thinking it should be easy ?

If anything, this game isn't hard enough. Zombies might as well not even be there most of the time. This game needs way more zombies in places like Cherno and Elektro. Also, you shouldn't be able to run away from them.

Not to mention Hatchets are so easy to find its crazy. So you not having a weapon is hard to believe. You shouldn't be spawning with a gun, thats why they took it out.

I'm glad to see that all weapons you find along the coast have been nerfed. Now you actually have to aim for the head if you want to conserve ammo.

I agree with the person who said the game is too easy. Places that have good loot should be hard as shit to get to. Helo crashes, barracks, big cities with med supplies. Those places should be so infested with zombies that the only way in and out is to shoot your way in and out.

yet people keep going on and on about how it should be easier ? Give me a break. Its so easy to ditch zombies in this game and so easy to gear up its almost stupid.

as for your food problem, once you get matches and a hatchet (both easy to find) go shoot an animal in the woods and cook the meat. Problem solved.

This is a survival game, why do people keep thinking it should be easy ?

Lol, yeah, because this whole thread is complaining about the difficulty level, isn't it?

I agree with the OP & tempestfeir, the mod needs it's numerous bugs fixing before it will be much fun. I don't mind dying over and over and over - that's the idea. I don't mind taking hours to find a gun either - that's the whole point. The issue is that I lose blood when a zombie quite clearly should have died, or the immersive atmosphere gets killed the instant a zombie runs a mile in the opposite direction before running towards me. I think the main problem people are having is that the main reason people bought arma 2 was for this mod.

• Like 7

Jeez i dont c how you have so many problems. within the first 2 hours of a character i have all the gear i need. Yesterday i found a m24 and a gillie suit in the first hour of my character. I kill zombies with one pistol shot most of the time they own zombies. Yesterday had 126 kills with 112 head shots.

lol?

Too hard?

Lol

Jeez i dont c how you have so many problems. within the first 2 hours of a character i have all the gear i need. Yesterday i found a m24 and a gillie suit in the first hour of my character. I kill zombies with one pistol shot most of the time they own zombies. Yesterday had 126 kills with 112 head shots.

I take it you play on a server with no one else on it?

• Like 5

I know you can give suggestions here, but here's mine. If you're too pissed at the game, either 1. Don't play the game and don't worry about it, or 2. Make a game yourself and make it how you want it instead of telling the developers pretty much they made a shitty ass game when in fact tons of people love it.

Let me give you my suggestion. If you're pissed reading at other people's suggestions, then stop reading them.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, it doesn't matter if you agree with them or not.

OP kinda has a point and i can't completely disagree, but i won't stop playing because sometimes i'm frustrated about how things are going right now.

• Like 5

Read the whole thing (so you don't rage at the next part).

1- You sound like you're a horrible gamer. If you honestly think the game is that hard seriously consider quitting.

2- Don't jump on here hating on the game when it isn't even fully developed. Its in Alpha, I don't care what you say.

3- If you've followed the forums a little bit (sounds like you haven't) the removal of starting weapons drastically dropped spawn killing. Don't complain about no melee weapons either because if you cannot find a hatchet...God help you.

4- Zombies spotting you from afar when you're prone... don't talk shit. Yes their range of sight has increased but here's a tip, the way their body is faced is the way they see. So don't run in font of them (again this was on the forums). It's easy to avoid them, you obviously have no patience. Oh, and it's easy to lose them.

-Next time you have a rant, go punch a wall instead OR try to play the game properly and stop wasting our time.

• Like 1

there is no problem spawning without wepon(lets pretend that fists aint weapon), the problem is actually with picking up weapon.

for instance, you runing with a zombie on you tail, and see a hatchet what would you do?- duck and grab, then chop the bastard. seems right?

now what survivor does: stop, crouch, takes it and place it on the belt, removes it from the belt(lets ignore reload part), and only then tries to chop the bastard, which was slapping survivor for about 5 seconds.

so yeah, inventory system and picking up object way too fucked up for such game, which cant be changed till game become standalone.

and yeah, game by itself way too easy, which leads too unreasonable gunfire

Edited by Frozen
  • Like 1

In my opinion, the mod is fine...

The ONLY few problems I see, are that the zombies senses are to keen now and its making us not able to get food or water.

If the zombies went back to the way they were, we could get our water and our food.

One other thing that isnt a problem for me (because I can get headshots) is that the pistols arent one shots anymore...

Onto pistols. I do understand that the makarov shouldnt be able to one shot (it should be three shot) but the .45 magnum, that should NO DOUBT be a one shot from the chest and above. The M9 and M1911 should be 2 shots anywhere and medieum rarity, makarov should be 3 shots with low rarity (Just for defence purposes) and the .45 magnum should be a high (not TO high) rarity and a one shot.

Onto the Machine guns, they in my opinion are okay other than the fact they attract MASS amounts of zombies. Plus for the ammo I think it should show up A LOT more. They should be Low Rarity in Military areas, Medium Rarity in Deer Stands, and Low Rarity in the city.

For the rifles I think they are good just how they are, but they (like all the other guns) are too loud with these hardcore zombies.

The sniper rifles seem almost impossible to find other than a CZ 550 which is still very hard to find.

And on the last note ADD THE HELICOPTERS BACK IN!!!

alpha test... don't expect perfection just because you spent time playing. i personally have no problem with the difficulty, can get equipped from scratch in no time. just be smart about it.

the fact it says alpha is not an excuse for this game. today i was blown away by some dude and im not even sure if it was legit or not. i walked into a hanger with my head on a swivel and was killed with no one around. and the sound of gunfire was in my face, not distant. this tells me someone logged out when they saw me and logged back in after a few seconds to get around me.

another issue is i wouldnt have to have been there if the damn tents worked at all and didnt either dump all my gear after a restart OR just disappear from the game with all my stuff in it.

point is this GAME needs a ton of work. major content issues are a problem. and if the staff want to handle the cheaters like they want the Admins, then the staff better start hosting the games and take the power to host away from the players.

• Like 3

After this specific patch (1.7.2.4) I had to create this thread. Why? Because of the "[NEW] Hive now tracks login/logout (to assist in analysis for an ALT+F4 solution)"

YES, I use it. NOT IN PVP. But in PVE. Why? Because I got tired of spending hours walking and avoiding zombies, finding only crap loot and aggrowing that only zombie that I have no way to kill and that I will end up dieing to. So I adopted the tactic of sprinting to a place where I can find loot, logout to loose the aggro, login and loot.

I am sorry, but that's an exploit.

Instead of changing the mechanics to avoid exploits, why don't you add basic things that MAKE the players NOT feel the need to exploit?
Nothing will EVER make the players not feel the need to exploit. People exploit in EVERY game when they can get away with it. The answer isn't to pander to the exploiters, the answer is to punish people who play the game in exploitative ways.
] alt-f4 to avoid being killed by zombies, or increase brightness to see better at night why don't you try to actually investigate why that is happening and fix it from the root?

The key difference here is that the light levels were an actual problem with the game, and the devs acknowledged and fixed it. People Alt-F4ing will always exist regardless of what "fixes" they implement. Here's the kicker, though; I can guarantee that people are still exploiting the gamma settings despite the legitimate reason for doing so being removed. Just like people will always exploit Alt-F4 if there's no punishment.

Now, I'll grant you this much: I don't know how you get the zed aggro. Maybe it's a problem with the zed AI (I honestly haven't played in a while, because there's dragons to be slain, and they tend to not visit Chernarus often), or maybe you're just a clumsy player. In the first case I can certainly understand how it would get frustrating; honestly, that's part of why I stopped playing right after the 1.7.2 patch, because I got sick of the way that one or more zed would just magically aggro onto you because of some quirk in their AI that the patch caused (well, that and dragons). However, an exploit is still an exploit, even if there's an understandable reason to do it.

• Like 1

Because of the "[NEW] Hive now tracks login/logout (to assist in analysis for an ALT+F4 solution)"

YES, I use it. NOT IN PVP. But in PVE. Why? Because I got tired of spending hours walking and avoiding zombies, finding only crap loot and aggrowing that only zombie that I have no way to kill and that I will end up dieing to.

So the game is too hard for you so you want Rocket to make it easier on you, or you will quit?

You're basically complaining about some of the main features of DayZ (survival, sneaking, avoiding zombies), this is probably not the game for you.

So the game is too hard for you so you want Rocket to make it easier on you, or you will quit?

You're basically complaining about some of the main features of DayZ (survival, sneaking, avoiding zombies), this is probably not the game for you.

not that this is directed at me but the game is to easy for certain types of game play (bandits) and impossible for people who want to scavenge or live off the land. tents dont work, cars get despawned or just disappear (tents now disappear too), zombies still dont come and attack from the reports of rifles when they clearly should and sometimes they do (totally random), zombies still walk through walls, zombies are weak to gunfire when only head shots should work, and lastly the game does not take the psychology or murder into account. it does not take this into account because the military doesnt want its troops thinking about that in a military sim. this mod is supposed to be about SURVIVAL, well human psychology is a huge part of survival. Rocket being in the military should know that. i know i do... OOH-RAH

• Like 1

there is no problem spawning without wepon(lets pretend that fists aint weapon), the problem is actually with picking up weapon.

for instance, you runing with a zombie on you tail, and see a hatchet what would you do?- duck and grab, then chop the bastard. seems right?

now what survivor does: stop, crouch, takes it and place it on the belt, removes it from the belt(lets ignore reload part), and only then tries to chop the bastard, which was slapping survivor for about 5 seconds.

so yeah, inventory system and picking up object way too fucked up for such game, which cant be changed till game become standalone.

and yeah, game by itself way too easy, which leads too unreasonable gunfire

Well remember there is no hatchet in Arma2. Its modeled after a gun, which is why it takes the reload. Your right though, the inventory system is a little tough to deal with when your trying to switch or pick something up while a zombie is chasing you. Though this being a mod, you have to take the bad with the good. As it stands, Arma2 would have to change that. IF this game ever becomes stand alone, then perhaps it could be different. I do think however that as a mod, his choice in Arma2 was a fairly good one. There are glitches and there are some things that don't make a lot of sence, but this is still Alpha. Best we can do right now is give him time to do what he can.

not that this is directed at me but the game is to easy for certain types of game play (bandits) and impossible for people who want to scavenge or live off the land. tents dont work, cars get despawned or just disappear (tents now disappear too), zombies still dont come and attack from the reports of rifles when they clearly should and sometimes they do (totally random), zombies still walk through walls, zombies are weak to gunfire when only head shots should work, and lastly the game does not take the psychology or murder into account. it does not take this into account because the military doesnt want its troops thinking about that in a military sim. this mod is supposed to be about SURVIVAL, well human psychology is a huge part of survival. Rocket being in the military should know that. i know i do... OOH-RAH

Impossible? Now that is simply not true. I've played the past two days doing ONLY scavenging (alone), killed about 200 zombies, and only ran into other players twice (they didn't see me though), have 0 murders and I've been all over the map. It works just fine, so "impossible" is sheer nonsense.

The game does have its bugs, agreed - version number ought to give you a hint on why though. Killing zombies however is very easy, particularly when you've learned to adapt to the way they aggro. Don't leave yourself in open terrain. I killed about 100 zombies in about 30 minutes using an AKM in the NW airfield. They even managed to knock me down once, but still survived, even though they were walking through stairs and jumping through concrete. I got a bit lucky, but the bottom line is that if you learn how to adapt, you will have few problems, even when just doing PvE.

I can agree on certain points, like there being WAY TOO much PVP. I understand Arma is a military simulator, and this is a zombie apocalypse simulator, but there are some MAJOR flaws that the devs should take care of before adding some of the useless crap they are adding.

For one, the game started out as a zombie survival game, but now zombies are just those things that piss you off when you have no weapon or spawn on you while looting some empty tin cans. That is not realistic, and in a zombie game, I don't recall zombies doing the fucking stanky leg juice drop hippy flip seizure dance while they try to attack you, its hard enough to shoot a zombie that spawned on the other side of the island running 80MPH at you, but now having a seizure as well, and teleporting at your face and running through walls, taking 2/3 of your body's blood in one swipe thats farther away from you then someone using commando and lagging on COD.

Before adding stuff like car pieces and tin cans or people that can spawn over weight, out of shape and running out of breath, ( that is little stuff that should be added later ), focus on the bugs that are ruining the game, and the PVP. Atleast give us a starting weapon, a butter knife for craps sake? Our fists? KICKING? But no, you run for hours and find some empty cans and a window. Which you can't even use to shatter and use against the zombie.

After running around for an hour, looting tin cans and useless car parts you will never use you may find a pistol or a hatchet and get killed by a bandit from across the map who has no intentions to use your supplies, he just does it for fun. (:

The game isn't PVE anymore, its just PVP.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And now the community is falling too, now-a-days you make a small post about a suggestion, and no matter how short or long your post is, you get comments like "sneak and go in a house" "u r too loud" "avoid bandits, duh" or trolled in another way, which can have NOTHING to do with the subject. Or "obviously DayZ isn't for u" "play like splintercell" "be quieter (not a word?)"

Fix the community, the zombies, and the game. THEN add fat people.

Edited by Xeroph
  • Like 10

I agree with OP and others here. I was talking about this with my friends on our mumble the last couple of days.

I've had two characters that were both incredibly stacked and long lives. One had an FN FAL, M9SD, 24 slot backpack, loaded on medical supplies, food, water, ammo, etc. Reached 2 week or more life time on it. Died because a script hacker was spawning himself on the same roof as me, with decent loot every time. Killed him 5 or 6 times before he gave up on the roof and spawned out in the field and sniped me while I looted his corpse. Second one was basically the same story except it was a 20 slot bag and M16A4 ACOG. Logged out in elektro, logged in to another server an hour or so later and elektro was on fire (not a couple buildings, like half of the town) and a guy popped in infront of me. Looked like a log in until I realized he was already aiming down sights, at my head, and he popped back away as my body dropped.

Every other character I've ever had has died to annoying BS. I ended up doing just like jimykx. I'd spawn into a low population server, run to something that usually had decent loot and rarely had people camping it (prig or balota, typically), ran far enough into/up a building that I had time to log out and back in before the UNGODLY HUGE LINE of zombies came for me. I gave up trying to avoid them. They run too fucking fast to reliably drop aggro on them. The only way I found to was abusing the newer system where they walk slow/hobble inside a building. Run in a circle before they get there, make sure any that are chasing are caught up to you enough, run in the front door and out the back. They drop aggro as they walk in because you can usually get out the other side before they're all in. It's annoying as shit that I have to exploit the system just to get anything done in the game. Starting with SOMETHING, anything, that's capable of killing a zombie would knock at least 75% of my annoying with the latest patches off the game.

Or, frankly, if I saw the dev team go out of their way to say they're gonna spend the next major patch focusing on fixing major, game breaking bugs instead of new features I'd probably be ok, too. Having to do weird stuff just to loot is god damned annoying, namely considering if people didn't tell me how to get around it I'd never have realized what was happening with some of the dumb bugs or how to get around it. If I want to put a main gun in my bag to give it to a friend since I found something better or just pick up a gun to give to someone else I have to do so much dumb shit. Drop it on the ground far enough away that it doesn't overlap with what I want. Pray to whatever invisible man in the sky you believe in that the ground is flat enough that it doesn't disappear on the spot. Pick up the other gun. Open my backpack. Make sure there's enough space for the gun and any ammo. Oh, only enough space for half of the ammo available? Ok, pick up the ammo you can't fit. Go put it in the stack with the other gun. Go back to the new gun. Put the gun in the backpack. Go back and get the other one. All that shit instead of "OK my bag has enough space PUT IT IN THERE" and pick up the new one? And all just because if you try to do it as you think you would be able to do the shit might just disappear. Instead of the game saying, "Hey, you don't have enough space, make space before I try to do something, bro." It just deletes the items, and I guess the reason it deletes them is because fuck you, that's why? And sure, I've been able to switch main guns from what's in my hands/back to backpack a few times, but a few more times one of them just disappears into the ether. Or zombie pathing. How the hell does that make sense to any one? I do like how they've started to move a bit smarter, and the initiation of aggro seems to be better now than it was when I started with DayZ, but it's still weird as hell. The time it takes to log into servers is horribly inconsistent, and servers having their weird save problems? "Oh you picked up a good gun? Better sit there for 3-5 minutes extra to make sure it pushes the update." But if it decided to delete something from your bags? Better fucking believe it wrote that shit to the database within nanoseconds. Why the hell is any of that that a lower priority fix than stopping players from treating the game like a game?

That last bit is the important part to me. I'm all for the realism that ArmA2 brings to the table with a game like this, but I really hope none of you are trying to treat this as a zombie apocalypse simulator thinking that when it really happens you'll be prepared now. It's a game, why are we trying to remove all the stuff that makes it a game? At least, if we're going to make it an 100% simulator, go full hog. Don't let servers choose regular, vet, merc, etc. No server admin choice on CH, 3DP, NT's, etc. All servers have the same exact everything. If we're going for absolute equal ground on everything, do it all the way through. Or don't do it at all.

I don't like reading people say "well don't play the game then!" either. DayZ is the only game like this, in any degree. Yeah, there are other zombie games, and there are survival horror games, but none of them have the PvE/PvP that DayZ has. At least until The War Z is out. I'm already guessing that The War Z will be a carebear version of Day Z, too. I don't want carebear, but I don't want needless realism, either. It's a fucking game, can we please treat it like one?

Also: WALL OF TEXT BECAUSE I R CHANGRY. (Get the community reference or GTFO)

Edited by jayp.uncensored
  • Like 10

Yep, hacking is bad, and bugs suck. But that doesn't mean the game fundamentals need to be changed.

First, new players lost any kind of self defense they had when they spawned.

I think making the flashlight a melee weapon would be cool, since it is currently useless to me. Personally, I have no issues with the starting gear as it is. Run to a barn, grab a hatchet, and you are set.

Second, it appears to me that now you are much more likely to aggro zombies.

Obviously, this isn't an easy fix. They tweak it with each revision. This is one scenario where saying "it's alpha" is completely okay.

Then comes the bleeding.

I agree. Every hit should not cause you to bleed out. Maybe every 4 or 5 hits. And then 9 or 10 hits and you break a leg.

Fourth comes the running away from zombies.

Works pretty good for me. Try finding a cluster of fir trees and running through them. 70% of the time, it will lose zombies; and the other 30% of the time, the next cluster of trees will lose them.

My final issue comes with the fact that it seems to be easier to find windshields, tires and engines in small villages than it is to find food.

Yes, the spawns need to be reworked a bit. I'm not sure this can be considered to be making the game worse, though, as it has always been an issue.

I would actually like to see an official thread of known issues and their importance to the dev team. Then, hopefully, these redundant posts would be cut down substantially. Maybe even add a poll option to allow the community to vote for the importance of the features (using numbers 1-10, and only use each number once).

• Like 2

i too have noticed zombies aggro much easier since the latest update. in a room in one of the appartment complexes in berezino i found a wichester that i switched out my enfield for temporarily to pick off 2 bugs bunny zombies hopping around the entrance of the supermarket across the street, so i get up on the roof and put a bullet in each ones head and when i was about to get back down to my enfield i see every zombie within 300m running towards me, luckily the winchester came with 3 clips so i wouldnt have to deal with over 50 zombies with the enfields slow fire rate(i managed to get through it with the winchester empty + 3 clips from the revolver, and as far as the eye could see it was a zombie free heaven for about 10 secs until everyone respawned(there should be a longer respawn time on zombies, coming to a place and not finding any zombies would be as fun as it would be worrysome(since you didnt kill them someone else must have))

im guessing the zombies movement is under development and will be more fluid and simple/logical when the game enters beta, but their speed should be reduced, ive heard people claim that they run exactly as fast as players but ive seen zombies react to me and gun away from me in the same direction im running in almost/possibly as much as or more than twice as fast, wich is only supported by the fact that zombies that aggro from far away will be snarling right behind you within seconds, even bug bunny zombies start wobbling after you at unnaturally fast speed for a human in that stance

• Like 3

I've been playing this mod for awhile now, and personally, I haven't seen a ton of progress toward the end goal, which is of course a standalone game. The main reason for this IMO is a lack of focus. When we have an update, it seems like everything gets updated. Zombies are different, new weapons/items are introduced, something happens with vehicles, weather effects are changed, behind the scenes changes are being done to the HIVE, etc. What happens as a result is the game usually breaks in some way, and then we have to wait on hotfixes. I think the developers need to have tunnel vision if they want to put this out as a standalone game. What I mean by that is focus on one aspect in an update and don't worry about anything else until that one aspect is as good as you can possibly make it. For example, zombies are a huge issue right now. IMO, the focus should be on them. Doesn't make much sense to me that we're worrying about bear traps, reintroducing helis, etc., when we still have zombies that can see for miles, run faster than players, break your bones/make you bleed easily, walk through walls and zigzag when they run at you.

• Like 5

The final biggest pet peeve, and this is because I'm still new and Die so much, is it takes 15 minutes on average to load into a game, and I'm running a Core i7, GTX285, and 6gigs of ram... not a bad set up, This has been my biggest frustration, It takes too god damned long to log into this game. On average me and my friends can take up to 30-45 minutes to find a server with the magical right combo of DAYTIME,Version Number, US, Beta Number, ping, and that the server doesn’t boot you for no reason when you try to load. That being said, there should be an option to allow a group of friends, no matter where you are on the server, to spawn in the same general location for 1st time group is set up..... Cause spending 30 - 3 hours, to sneak around major cities and find your friends isn't fun for the poor sucker who's waiting on you finding them, cause they're so new they'll die 5 times while you try to get to their 1st spawn location.

I wont pick sides in this thread because both sides have point but at least let me inform you that your computer specification have little to do with loading times.

I have a very weak laptop, I can run the game on lowest settings and barely scrape 20 frames per second.

Loading the game however takes anywhere between 30 seconds and 3 minutes.

It's save to assume that your computer specs have nothing to do with loading and connecting and that you should instead look at your internet connection. (I have fiberglass + 30mbits speed, pretty standard where I live.)

Second, there is nothing wrong with having a small piece of paper next to your computer where you write good servers on and what time the server is compared to yours.

Before reading and commenting: -My English is definitely not perfect but I will give my best.

- I'm not looking for a tutorial on how to play this game so don't tell me "You need to sneak and head to the barns first"

-This is the suggestions forum tab and this is MY opinion,I'm trying to improve the game so don't give me the excuse : "uuh but the game is still in alpha"

-I'm not saying the game is too hard or too easy. I'm mentioning the issues that could be fixed to make it a better and more solid experience overall

-Reading through the whole post actually gives you a valid reason to reply, assuming you understood my point of view and where I want to get.

With every update the game gets I lose a little bit of interest in the mod because it gets progressively worse.

First, new players lost any kind of self defense they had when they spawned. Thanks to this you are worthless and you have no method of protecting yourself against zombies or more powerful players. You can't push zombies, you can't even punch them like you would in real life. Damn, at least let us start with a melee weapon. A freaking spoon, I don't care.

Second, it appears to me that now you are much more likely to aggro zombies. It has happened about countless time when I'm prone and suddenly see a zombie running, coming from like the other corner of the map and sprinting directly at me. Or I'm scavenging a small wooden house and suddenly a zombie spawns on top of me. How is this possible? Ow, and did I already mentioned that I had no way of defending myself?

Then comes the bleeding. A zombie hits you once and you start bleeding like there is no tomorrow. Really? Bleeding from scratches should not be so aggressive and drastic ( but Honestly the bleeding is not what affects me the most).

Fourth comes the running away from zombies. Do I have to say the obvious? It's almost impossible unless you take them indoors.

In the end you end up dying from thirst or hunger because you spent all of the time running away from a zombie that you could not kill, or trying to avoid them.

My final issue comes with the fact that it seems to be easier to find windshields, tires and engines in small villages than it is to find food.

After this specific patch (1.7.2.4) I had to create this thread. Why? Because of the "[NEW] Hive now tracks login/logout (to assist in analysis for an ALT+F4 solution)"

YES, I use it. NOT IN PVP. But in PVE. Why? Because I got tired of spending hours walking and avoiding zombies, finding only crap loot and aggrowing that only zombie that I have no way to kill and that I will end up dieing to. So I adopted the tactic of sprinting to a place where I can find loot, logout to loose the aggro, login and loot.

Do I have to mention again why am I forced to do this?

Honestly, I truly believe that the next patch will make you start with only a stick and give you the option: "stick it up your ass and enjoy" or something like that. Because that's where the mod is heading.

If the game wasn't hard enough because of the lag and bugs, now you can't even have your own problems because it will penalize if you disconnect for any reason and when you come back short while you will be stunned for a couple of minutes just to avoid from other players to jump from servers to pick loot were they start. What about switch and/or add some basic game mechanics so people don't try to exploit the mod? Me and my clan were having a lot of fun for the last week until it was all f*d up again..

Instead of changing the mechanics to avoid exploits, why don't you add basic things that MAKE the players NOT feel the need to exploit? I believe adding a melee weapon to starting characters would solve half of these issues.

Seriously, I love this mod. It's one of my favorite game modifications but I think it lacks some sense in it's features right now. Instead of immediately preventing players to do something you do not want them to do: alt-f4 to avoid being killed by zombies, or increase brightness to see better at night why don't you try to actually investigate why that is happening and fix it from the root?

Let me do the hard work for you. Players increase gamma and brightness because you can't see anything at night. I enjoy this but honestly, In real life I live in a small village where there is very little light pollution, and in the night you can see much better than what you see in the game (which is pretty much pitch black). Not to mention when there is full moon, you can see almost as well as if it was day. I'm not telling you you should be able to see much better at night because I understand perfectly the important component of fear etc the night brings, and I do not want to make the different light sources obsolete, but why not lighten up the night just a little small bit?

- After reading my whole opinion you might also want to read tempestfeir post on the second page of this thread.

I agree on most you said but 2 points i dont agree.

1. starting without weapon is awesome and there are so many ways to avoid being killed by zombies or players its np plenty of axe out there.

2.Logging out im even more agains it its NOT needed at all your arguement is totally bullcrap again plenty of ways avoid zombies or players to get loot D/C is a NO GO ZONE PERIOD for PVE or PVP .

My personal view on the whole lack of progess of DayZ and even getting worse is stubborn thinking proces of Rocket who mainly works alone on whole project thats rediculous and will not realy benefit DayZ at all.

Edited by peetgamer
  • Like 1

I've been playing this mod for awhile now, and personally, I haven't seen a ton of progress toward the end goal, which is of course a standalone game. The main reason for this IMO is a lack of focus. When we have an update, it seems like everything gets updated. Zombies are different, new weapons/items are introduced, something happens with vehicles, weather effects are changed, behind the scenes changes are being done to the HIVE, etc. What happens as a result is the game usually breaks in some way, and then we have to wait on hotfixes. I think the developers need to have tunnel vision if they want to put this out as a standalone game. What I mean by that is focus on one aspect in an update and don't worry about anything else until that one aspect is as good as you can possibly make it. For example, zombies are a huge issue right now. IMO, the focus should be on them. Doesn't make much sense to me that we're worrying about bear traps, reintroducing helis, etc., when we still have zombies that can see for miles, run faster than players, break your bones/make you bleed easily, walk through walls and zigzag when they run at you.

Well on the surface it sounds like good advice, but then ... who are you to criticise? No, don't answer that. Rocket has, as an individual come up with a game design that is so popular that a dated, and really buggy engine like the ARMA2-engine is being bought in numbers that ARMA2 only had in its inception, and then singularly because of Operation Flashpoint. Not only that, but DayZ is a mod in an alpha stage, normally we don't even get to see these things because a smaller group of developers and their friends are playing this. The success is so riveting that the game is being talked about all over the world. I would say if I had to bet on who has a better idea on what is required to make a game successful out of the two of you, even without knowing who you are. I would bet on Rocket, any day of the week.

With that said though, I agree with you that there are issues with this alpha mod. But lets not forget that the only reason that we know of them, is because Rocket made it an open alpha.