Sign in to follow this  
Latros

Your Definition of Self Defence?

So I tend to believe in shoot first ask questions later... I dont care what skin someone is wearing thats a bs way to identify anyone.

I had 3 murders today... I usually have a bandito skin no surprise but I feel even though they may have been cold blooded killings but to me they are justified for living in a world such as DayZ.. You have to respect another Survivors space and failing to do that in this Mod is a threat:

Murder1: took out a couple Zs around a deerstand with a cz550 was remote local so wasent overly concerned with noise previously to this had just cleaned out a nearby barn... making alotta noise... I go into the stand spend a minute or two there climb down turn around and 30m from me is Survivor creeping up aiming at me, no hesitation, bam hes dead, never sneak up one someone gun drawn and not annouce it.. murder 1.

Murder2: going for a water fountain I see a New Survivor shoot a couple Zs, I keep distance lower gun, he edges closer gun drawn I stand ground, try to raise him in chat twice, at 30m I raise my rifle and warn him again he starts sidestepping closer still drawn on me, Im feeling peaceful so I start edging away with rifle out showing that im not interested in shooting him, yet he keeps coming closer.... I take him out, Murder2..

*now i have bandit skin

Murder3: in a town looting some buildings moving to next building(garage) attract a horde of Zs unload most my ammo dropping a solid 20-30 Zs in garage, making alotta noise, Im paranoid so I go upstairs and start checking out the windows at possible avenues of approach so I creep to a window and see a Survivor creeping/circling garage, attempt to raise him no answer.. he heard me shoot knows im inside and is faily to make or answer contact hes searching for me with guns drawn... he starts edging towards entrance so I take the shot out the window and drop him.. Murder3..

So.. am I a murderious Ahole? or Justified in this brutal world? I know they were all pretty cold blooded but if you dont know them cant trust them that close. If I want to make contact I try chat, if that fails I lower gun and approach and /salute at a safe distance.

I believe they were justified, as long as you tried to contact them and they didn't respond, I say they deserved it, never sneak up or have your primary drawn and ready to fire at someone. It really revolves around how paranoid you are in game. Some are too nice, others are muthafuckin stone cold.

Murder 1: Seems a bit trigger happy. However, he should had announced or at least approached gun lowered to indicate he's not out to kill you. Understandable kill, but I would had taken cover and tried to contact him in chat. If he still kept coming without response, you could had shot him when he was coming up the ladder.

Murder 2: I would had probably done more to avoid confrontation. Perhaps tried to run away to nearest cover and see if he's following me. Still, he kept coming and no response to chat. Understandable kill.

Murder 3: Again you tried to contact through chat, and you were cornered without escape route. I would had let him come in and see me weapon lowered.. but it might had let me killed. Borderline, but still understandable.

Some people don't seem to read the chat, or don't know how to reply to it. I'd say it's their own fault if they fail to respond and keep coming at you weapon raised. Once the Direct Communication channel is fixed and reliable, these kind of incidents might be avoided. People seem to be more responsive to voice than text.

I've played maybe 80 hours and never killed another player.

Same here, nearly, 2 bandits and one guy who tried to shoot me.

I do not like getting shot by someone who does not ask my name or if I'm friendly.

So what to do ? Shoot everybody on sight, hmmm, that would make me a bandit or even worse an arsehat.

If you have decided to be a murderer, thats ok but do not expect justice from me, I will shoot you on sight.

The humanity judge was a good idea imho.

I've played maybe 80 hours and never killed another player.

Same here' date=' nearly, 2 bandits and one guy who tried to shoot me.

I do not like getting shot by someone who does not ask my name or if I'm friendly.

So what to do ? Shoot everybody on sight, hmmm, that would make me a bandit or even worse an arsehat.

If you have decided to be a murderer, thats ok but do not expect justice from me, I will shoot you on sight.

The humanity judge was a good idea imho.

[/quote']

IF you go into the wilderness yes its quite easy to not kill anyone... my first char I did this and lived for days in the wilderness with minimal human contact and 0 worries... its easy. However I dont choose to live that way everytime and that means much more human interaction which forces you to make decisions...

So you would allow a stranger to walk right up to you with a gun drawn and point it in your face without so much as a hello? I think not.

The humanity system is flawed. Later after those muders I was in my happy camo bandit skin overwatching a town(hoping for bandits lol) and started calling out Zs to a new Survivor down below and informing him of other players coming in and out of the area from my location. later on I tagged along with him and 2 others... I was in bandit skin.. they were not... They did not seem to care once my 1911 started dropping Zs for them. the humanity system would call for them to kill me on sight because im a evil player... the reality of it is they saw me for a legitmate player who helped them out and joined their party.. bandit skin and negative humanity points and all... You cant judge a book by its cover and thats my point all those people... they were killed on their actions not their past or skin.

What is this talk about weapon raised?

Is there even a way to not have a weapon in hands in this game?

Seriously, if you like to aggressively shoot people you meet, then go at it, its part of the game. But seeking justification for this behaviour on the forums appears pretty silly.

Its your choice to play that way (which is part of the game), but there is no necessity for it whatsoever. I've never shot people I met, except a few bandits, but then again, that was my choice, and hardly the only option.

Seriously' date=' if you like to aggressively shoot people you meet, then go at it, its part of the game. But seeking justification for this behaviour on the forums appears pretty silly.

Its your choice to play that way (which is part of the game), but there is no necessity for it whatsoever. I've never shot people I met, except a few bandits, but then again, that was my choice, and hardly the only option.

[/quote']

Im failing to see how someone who doesnt even know how to lower/raise his weapon can have much of a valid point on the game... check out your options and player controls when u get the chance.. YES you can raise/lower your weapon. You might even learn some other amazing features of the game.

Im not seeking any kind of justification.. I need none.. I simply wanted to see what thoughts were out there on this and hear some feedback. Theres no necessity? You have not been killed enough yet i see... Eventually you will be murdered maybe multiple times then you will realize not everyone in the game wants to be your friend and some just want your can of beenie weenies...

Seriously' date=' if you like to aggressively shoot people you meet, then go at it, its part of the game. But seeking justification for this behaviour on the forums appears pretty silly.

[/quote']

Double tap ctrl will lower your weapon (Not sure if it works with sidearms though).

Anyway... I'll shoot anyone in a bandit outfit. I don't care how they got it. Neither how friendly they seem to be... A few times have I tried to ask if a bandit needed help and vice versa. And they're real nice right until they can get the jump on you.

Survivors I'll just leave alone. If they see me before I see them I'll either be dead anyway or we just keep going our own way ;P

You can't lower the Makarov (and I doubt you can lower other sidearms).

The only time I've shot someone so far is because he intentionally shot me first. Not sure how you miss someone laying on the ground reading a map so many times, but now there's no way to ask him.

I don't think I've seen enough people to really be able to distinguish the bandit/survivor outfit on the fly, but I figure with the bandit skin being dropped it won't much matter. My bets are that it will tend to make more Charles Whitman-wannabes wandering the land with CZ550s waiting to pick off people the moment they stand still just for the hell of it.

My solution has been to mind my own business hunting for zombies and loot ...not that that worked out too well when a guy with an AK came up to the door way of the house I was in after I took out all the zombies around. Not much you can do while bandaging and getting shot.

Hanging out with people you know, exploring, looting and taking care of/evading zombies seems like plenty to do.

My definition of self defense in this game is to shoot anyone that im not familiar with on sight unless they communicate with me or my group first.

My definition is : shoot after you get shot.

Sadly even this turned me into bandit before 1.5.8 update

So what happens now? Well I'm stuck in the stupid bandit skin until they fix it somehow.

I've played for a couple of weeks and have only killed one other player, and that was because he shot me first at close quarters inside a building. I've never been shot by someone approaching with their weapon raised, I've always gone on the principle that if someone was pointing a gun at me at 50yds without shooting then they're probably not going to shoot at 10yds - and I've always been right on that.

Shooting on sight is weakness, IMO, and doing it out of potential self-preservation makes it more likely that you'll be killed by a player later on. Why? Because every time you shoot someone who has no actual malicious intentions, you make them more malicious next time. Killing people is easy, holding back your fear and letting trust built in those situations is hard.

Every time I've been killed by other players it's because I was a risk-free target - they saw me and saw an easy, unaware kill. I've got out of those situations many times too, if I see them before they kill me I'll shoot back a couple of times then leg it.

I tried to never shoot a survivor, i wanted to be a 'white knight' and just kill bandits and helping the week.. but after constantly being killed by survivors after being told they were friendly has made me trust no one. I now almost always shoot on sight, sometimes i use voice comms to alert them first and to guide them away from me but as im normally meeting my friends down by the beaches you've just gotta deal with some people effectively and accurately. No room for kindness when you've got a fully packed alice pack with blood, maps, knifes, food, ammo, etc. and you've got an m4.

I'm always cautious around survivors and their actions can give me an idea what they're about to do, I've had my weapon drawn several times with only a few feet between me and a number of survivors but I've not had to pull the trigger once.

With a bandit it's different, I will pull the trigger before I even consider their actions, self defence or not, they've killed another player and I won't be their next.

A raised weapon equals hostility. Lower your weapon if you don't intend to shoot people.

I often run around with my weapon raised, but I do that for a reason. If I run around with my weapon raised, I will shoot whoever has their weapon raised, which basically means I shoot (almost) on sight. I usually do this around popular (dangerous) areas. In CQB it's very much an instance of shoot on sight no matter what (but I don't shoot people in my team, obviousy). It's simply too dangerous to let people come close.

In the open, I often lower my weapon to indicate I don't intend hostilities. I then try to avoid people when possible.

This seems pretty hostile, right? Why am I so hostile? It's simple. It keeps me alive. The best way to stay alive is to avoid strangers whenever possible and when you do come across them and they've spotted you, you shoot them. This strategy has kept me alive for almost 3 weeks now.

I've been playing for three weeks now, never killed a single survivor yet, shot 8 bandits. 4 in self defense after they opened fire on me or my group, 3 when they didn't answer in chat and seemed to have hostile intent, 1 because I just felt like it.

All justified. I run with a "I it looks my way it dies" attitude, and I'm still alive so I must be doing something right.

Direct chat is awsome for findin out someone's intentions! If they don't answer they die. Simple

Those where all pretty justified. I kill AFK players if they don't wake up for over a minute, can't risk them shooting me in the back as soon as I leave.

So I tend to believe in shoot first ask questions later... I dont care what skin someone is wearing thats a bs way to identify anyone.

I had 3 murders today... I usually have a bandito skin no surprise but I feel even though they may have been cold blooded killings but to me they are justified for living in a world such as DayZ.. You have to respect another Survivors space and failing to do that in this Mod is a threat:

Murder1: took out a couple Zs around a deerstand with a cz550 was remote local so wasent overly concerned with noise previously to this had just cleaned out a nearby barn... making alotta noise... I go into the stand spend a minute or two there climb down turn around and 30m from me is Survivor creeping up aiming at me' date=' no hesitation, bam hes dead, never sneak up one someone gun drawn and not annouce it.. murder 1.

Murder2: going for a water fountain I see a New Survivor shoot a couple Zs, I keep distance lower gun, he edges closer gun drawn I stand ground, try to raise him in chat twice, at 30m I raise my rifle and warn him again he starts sidestepping closer still drawn on me, Im feeling peaceful so I start edging away with rifle out showing that im not interested in shooting him, yet he keeps coming closer.... I take him out, Murder2..

*now i have bandit skin

Murder3: in a town looting some buildings moving to next building(garage) attract a horde of Zs unload most my ammo dropping a solid 20-30 Zs in garage, making alotta noise, Im paranoid so I go upstairs and start checking out the windows at possible avenues of approach so I creep to a window and see a Survivor creeping/circling garage, attempt to raise him no answer.. he heard me shoot knows im inside and is faily to make or answer contact hes searching for me with guns drawn... he starts edging towards entrance so I take the shot out the window and drop him.. Murder3..

So.. am I a murderious Ahole? or Justified in this brutal world? I know they were all pretty cold blooded but if you dont know them cant trust them that close. If I want to make contact I try chat, if that fails I lower gun and approach and /salute at a safe distance.

[/quote']

There are two camps really. Some would say you're a murderer, some would say you're doing what you have to do to survive.

I tend to kill first and sort out the buttfrustration later, because I don't like losing my loot because I wasn't vigilant.

But I'm also not one of these guys that takes this game uber seriously either. To me PKing is all part of the experience. I like getting things, and that person I just killed might have some shiny things I want.

Just how I roll.

I choose to shoot any who are a little too nosy for their own good. Was sitting atop factory roof at chern overlooking the military tents when two survivors come and start chucking flares in every direction.

I crawl to the edge and they see me observing them, so they chuck flares up onto the roof and I establish that I am friendly and that if they keep their distance I won't shoot. So they go loot the tents and one of them gets the smart idea to try and climb up to me.

I unloaded my AKM into his face as soon as his head popped up on the ladder. His friend comes out and pops a few shots at me with his winchester before he gets mobbed by zombies. I watched as the zombies score an instant knock out on the poor guy and then devour him.

I climbed down later when the zombies wandered off and looted some food and ammunition off them. I felt a little guilty, though I did warn them.