BuddyMcFriend

1st Person vs. 3rd Person

Hey guys, I just wanted to make a little poll to see what people prefer more.

1st person?

or

3rd person?

Please explain why you like one and not the other, or if you're impartial, go ahead and explain why.

FOR THE PEOPLE SAYING THE "HEAD BOBBING" EFFECT IS DISORIENTING WHILE IN FIRST-PERSON,

THERE IS AN OPTION IN THE 'CONTROLS' MENU TO TURN IT ALL THE WAY DOWN'

=-=-=-=

My personal choice has been first person as of late, because I've gotten used to 'Mercenary' difficulty servers (which are actually a ton of fun because of how realistic and scary the game becomes) which are challenging. I have a little bit of a thing against third person now that I've gotten accustomed to first person because I feel as if not everyone is at a fair advantage.

An example being, a bandit behind a corner of a building will clearly be able to see someone running down the street, ready to pounce because he can see around the corner with third-person, while the other guy has no idea what's coming for him. If they were both in first-person, then the bandit would have to either strafe out to see, or lean, both giving a bit of a fair advantage to both parties.

Also, being able to see over the brush while in a prone position and in third-person can give another unfair advantage to the attacking player. In first person, as we all know, we are eating grass while prone, and it's more realistic.

Leave your responses below! I would like to see what people like more/less.

Edited by BuddyMcFriend

1st person for scouting through towns and shit

3rd person for traveling

• Like 5

I prefer 1st person and think that 3rd person does give a player an advantage, therefore i only play on servers with 3rd person disabled, problem solved :)

3rd for scavenging around woods and traveling on foot (Much nicer to travel with 3rd) And 1rd for cities/combat.

I almost exclusively play on 3DP=On and CH=Off servers. I use third person perspective almost exclusively, with the exception of aiming down my sights while firing.

I just find the movement so unnatural and strange in first person mode, and for some reason I can't turn headbob entirely off even editing the .cfg and such.

I used to think 3rd person was sort of cheap (in other games). But, this game is designed in that perspective and it is a buffer for the things you can't do in game but could do in real life.

In real life, you would be able to peek over a fence, yes? How about using a small mirror (which many soldiers have on them and use them profusely). Well, that is what 3rd person does for you. Granted, you don't expose yourself at all by using 3rd person. As opposed to in real life, if you were to peek over a fence, you would be slightly exposed. It is a compromise.

Also, the fact remains it is a game and when in first person mode, your situational awareness goes way down because you can't feel if someone is next to you, like in real life. Once again, it is a compromise. Not a great one, but a compromise nonetheless.

If this game were ever to get league play, they would surely allow 3rd person. You don't get that much of an advantage. Especially, if both of you are using it.

• Like 3

I prefer 3rd person in cities, becouse it lags a bit for me, and with all the head bobbing it's really noticable. In 3rd person it's really better. Maybe when i upgrade my PC I'll be playing on 1st person.

"Also, the fact remains it is a game and when in first person mode, your situational awareness goes way down because you can't feel if someone is next to you, like in real life."

That makes a lot of sense, good job pointing that out, though I disagree with your first statement.

BY THE WAY , for the people with head-bobbing issues, you do know that there's an option to change that in controls, right? I don't even notice headbobbing because I turned it all the way down.

Edited by BuddyMcFriend
  • Like 1

It depends on the situation. I always fire my weapon only in first person, and I switch to first person anytime I need to enter a really close area (to loot, or fight).

I use third person when traveling, because the head-bob triggers massive headaches for me. If I could turn that down or even off I'd probably play in first person a lot more, but as it stands I can't tolerate first person for more than a minute while running.

1st person head bob turned off for shootin' and lootin'

3rd person for stealth & barrel rolls

3rd person. I don't know how to explain it, but 1st person just feels awkward in this game. The only time I use first person is for combat and looting buildings.

I use 3rd person, and i find that kinda funny seeing as im really into the "simulating realism" or "creating an authentic world" aspects of the game. I do however not like first person in the game. Field of view, hearing and just the feeling when you walk will never be the same as in real life, and that's why i find first person too awkward and annoying to use.

I play almost exclusively in 3rd person mode, other than aiming down sights for shooting and sometimes looting stuff. Also if a zombie is hitting you in the back while you're doing something, you might not instantly notice it in 1st person. And being prone in tall grass in 1st person takes away all situational awareness, you can't see anything other than a bit of sky, while all enemies can still see you because grass doesn't show up at range (which is one of the things that bothers me most about the game.)

I never even thought that through, that the grass is in your face but enemies farther away can still see you o.o Good one, pointing that out. That makes a huge difference in how effective it really is. But then again, if the other guy is in the prone position in grass, he would have the same difficulty.

3rd person when travelling, 1st if I'm in a fire fight.

1st person in this game feels terrible, I'm not sure what it is though.

That sounds illegal..

TrackIR? It's a head tracking device - lets you look around in Free Look mode (holding Alt and moving the mouse) while still having full controls. Mostly useful for flight sims and racing games, but bloody handy in ARMA as well.

Third person preferred. It's more tactical. Gives me the ability to feel out my surroundings. I also come from a tactical gaming background. FPS feels like I only have one eye and it's riddled with cataracts.

First person for tighter spaces and close quarter combat.

I only play on servers with third person on but crosshairs turned off. Crosshairs + third person makes life too easy for bandits.