Gogster (DayZ)

Tom Berenger has a lot to answer for

Snipers, weapons and ammo  

107 members have voted

1. 1. My opinion on sniper weapons and ammo is

• They are just fine at the moment
    • Introduce a method to make sniper more easily to spot (think BF3)
    • Remove military scopes, retain hunting rifles
    • Reduce military scopes, retain hunting rifles
    • Remove military scopes, reduce hunting rifles
    • Reduce both
    • Remove both
    • Make military ammo extremely scarce
    • Make all sniper ammo extremely scarce
    • Introduce/increase scope sway
    • Make shot noise extremely loud
  2. 2. I play sniper

• Never
    • Always
    • Sometimes (as needs must)
    • Only for overwatch
  3. 3. I believe the sniper situation is

• Detrimental to the game and balanced PvP
    • Adds to PvP and the game
    • Neither adds nor detracts to the game

I wonder how many people would play a bandit style if there were no sniper rifles?

The background story to this is a session on UK 119 last night. My friend (Kenny) and I were skirting round Berezino in an attempt to get to the military tents on the west of the town.

We're a pretty careful bunch and we spent some considerable time scouting round the woods to the north and south west of the town.

We positioned ourselves in the bushes to the north west of the tents and spent 5 minutes looking through binoculars scouting the buildings, walls and hedgerows and saw nothing.

We started to move slowly down the hill towards Berezino, checking as we went.

Crack Kenny's hit and down.

Hit the deck scout and scout as much as possible looking for the sniper until another shot finished Kenny of and the crack of the bullets start whizzing past my ears.

Can't find the sniper and it is becoming too dangerous to stay put. Break cover and run back up the hills towards the forest with bullets slapping at the dirt by my feet. Zig zagging all the way I make it to relative safety. Eat, drink and move down to the south to meet up with another friend.

Essentially we never saw who hit us. You could say he's playing the game well, but I don't feel it's really PvP with guys being able to take people out from great distances, relatively safe from small arms, machine gun & assault rifle fire.

I know games have struggled to balance snipers over the years. BF in particular - removing prone then introducing a glare from the lens in BF3.

I now turn the table over to you guys to mock and tell me to stop moaning.

Thank you.

• Like 4

Think Sniping is fun sometimes , but its really annoying to get under the Fire of one.

Also i like the close range Fights way more due to there an higher Competition between the Players then when 1 Sniper shoots and the victim just starts running.

I Would like to see snipers gettinger rarer and more close combat in the Towns.

But i think it will manage itself due to Unlimitet Ammo bugs and Duplication your Items bug its to easy to get one of the badass Snipers.

Think it wont be a big Thread after this is fixed.

Paddy

Edit: removed the Quote ^^

Edited by Paddy0610

a good sniper wont be in a position where you can see him, its how shit works.

• Like 2

a good sniper wont be in a position where you can see him, its how shit works.

That's the problem :rolleyes:

+1 - IMHO military grade snipers don't play a big part in the zompocalypse. Scoped rifles sure but real sniper rifles should be rarer than hens teeth if in the game at all.

• Like 7

i for one wouldn't mind one bit if they removed them altogether personally, and cant help thinking it would actually make the mod less appealing for the greiffers that think its all about how many kills you can get before you die type of players (this is not COD or BF3) . Each to his own tho i guess ,, if i wanted to snipe i would just load up the arma 2 editor and place some AI on the map myself.

+1 - IMHO military grade snipers don't play a big part in the zompocalypse. Scoped rifles sure but real sniper rifles should be rarer than hens teeth if in the game at all.

I agree with your sentiment and it's where CoD and BF have fallen down. The ubiquitous nature of sniper rifles, whereas in the real world - snipers make up a tiny percentage of armies, ergo there should not be many sniper rifles to find.

Snipers are a fact of life in war and the ZED apocalypse.

I agree - but I think they are far rarer than the game caters for.

think the problem is that I get a feeling that theres more snipers around then people with assault rifles at times.

and yes, i also agree that without sniping griefing would be reduced quite a bit ... no more sitting in the hills near the coasts sniping fresh spawns just for the heck of it...

imo, leave sniper rifles in but just make them(and the ammo) become A LOT rarer. sure, there should be snipers around but the numbers atm are simply ridiculous and there is no way of countering them unless you yourself carry a sniper rifle.

Shut your dirty whore mouth about TOM BERENGER!!!!

Sorry I'm a little bit sensetive about America's greatest ever actor. On the subject, I suggest you plan your approach better, move fast across open areas or put as many obstacles between you and potential sniper positions.

Shut your dirty whore mouth about TOM BERENGER!!!!

Sorry I'm a little bit sensetive about America's greatest ever actor. On the subject, I suggest you plan your approach better, move fast across open areas or put as many obstacles between you and potential sniper positions.

Try anything that helps - cheers!

Greatest ever - lol - not sure about that but I enjoyed him in Betrayed.

• Like 1

In other words :

Invisible sniper, YOU KILLED KENNY!!! YOU BASTARD!!!

• Like 1

The problem is exacerbated by te infinite ammo. If that were fixed i doubt it would be as prevalent as it currently is.

• Like 1

Complaining about something that is used in war IRL is like winning internet fights.

I personally think that the best way to deal with the death of you or your partner is just to shut up and start collecting the loot again.

But I will tell you a very dark secret, coming out from the depths of internets. You see, I also have a squad of fairly long-ago-known people with me. And the secret is: I play the role of Overwatch. Tsss. Don't tell anybody that there is such a role. //drama

Basically it is a sniper who is covering his squad / looking for the possible sniper spots and playing the role of counter-sniper most of the time. And just an idea: why no to have one?

I wonder how many people would play a bandit style if there were no sniper rifles?

The background story to this is a session on UK 119 last night. My friend (Kenny) and I were skirting round Berezino in an attempt to get to the military tents on the west of the town.

We're a pretty careful bunch and we spent some considerable time scouting round the woods to the north and south west of the town.

We positioned ourselves in the bushes to the north west of the tents and spent 5 minutes looking through binoculars scouting the buildings, walls and hedgerows and saw nothing.

We started to move slowly down the hill towards Berezino, checking as we went.

Crack Kenny's hit and down.

Hit the deck scout and scout as much as possible looking for the sniper until another shot finished Kenny of and the crack of the bullets start whizzing past my ears.

Can't find the sniper and it is becoming too dangerous to stay put. Break cover and run back up the hills towards the forest with bullets slapping at the dirt by my feet. Zig zagging all the way I make it to relative safety. Eat, drink and move down to the south to meet up with another friend.

Essentially we never saw who hit us. You could say he's playing the game well, but I don't feel it's really PvP with guys being able to take people out from great distances, relatively safe from small arms, machine gun & assault rifle fire.

I know games have struggled to balance snipers over the years. BF in particular - removing prone then introducing a glare from the lens in BF3.

I now turn the table over to you guys to mock and tell me to stop moaning.

Thank you.

They are snipers, the whole idea of a sniper is to be far away from you where you can't see them. Also, you should of expected snipers when your going to Berezino.
  • Like 1

Snipers wouldn't be a problem if the rifles were rare.

Thanks to server hopping and script hacking, Every bandit has one.

ive only been playing a few weeks, but it seems everyone wants/needs a sniper rifle as a secondary weapon. I agree the mil spec ones could be more rare. i think it would help pvp balance for sure.

Yeah - sniper rifles have to go. That shit's just lame.

C'Mon rocket - take them out for at least one patch. We've still got the Lee Enfield for long-range shooting. Let's see how the snipers cope when they're using a weapon that attracts every zombie within earsot and may as well be a big, red arrow saying 'I AM HERE'.

Also - OMG! They killed Kenny!

• Like 1

I agree with your sentiment and it's where CoD and BF have fallen down. The ubiquitous nature of sniper rifles, whereas in the real world - snipers make up a tiny percentage of armies, ergo there should not be many sniper rifles to find.

I completely agree however.

Given the landscape of the map, the amount of deer stands IMHO i think that sniper rifles such as the CZ 550 and other similar variants should be more common and

sniper rifles such as the M107/AS50 should be nearly non-existent.

Thanks to everyone for keeping this on-topic and not turning it into a flame/bitch war.

Obviously you're never going to please everyone. My honest opinion is that sniper rifles create an imbalance. Rather than promote PvP (which we know is a core part of the game) they hinder it.

In my opinion PvP is where people have a fairly equal chance of taking each other out in combat, whereas a sniper rifle permits a player to kill, easily, without being spotted or engaged, subsequently negating PvP. SvP as it were.

Considering that this occurs across games, it's an imbalance that has existed for some time and has never been adequately addressed by any game developer, despite some attempts to balance it.

Thanks again.

• Like 1

Scoped rifles sure but real sniper rifles should be rarer than hens teeth

Sorry, but this is the second time in 24 hours I've read the hen's teeth idiom on these forums. I find myself compelled to link to this story from a few years ago about a team of UK scientists who triggered a genetic mutation in chickens that allowed them (the chickens, not the scientists) to grow teeth. My point? Hen's teeth are getting less rare.

How's that for off-topic? Aww jeah.

• Like 5

My point? Hen's teeth are getting less rare.

How's that for off-topic? Aww jeah.

Ok then - How about we replace sniper rifles with sabre-toothed chickens we throw at each other? How'd that be? Eh? BAM! Snarling razor-jawed chicken in your face! Eh? EH?

Back on topic.

• Like 1