Sign in to follow this  

Increase view distance.

Arma 2 is capable of over 4km view distances easily yet the game is stuck at a mere 1km. All im asking for is a little more to just 2km. It ruins the realism of it , allows you to scout from further away without the risk of a sniper.

Im curios as to why it is limited so low.

Not sure why your stuck at 1km. I have set my view distances up to 3500 meters. It's an option in your settings.

I have mine set to 10000. Hurts my fps, but the advantage is worth it.

when you change the visibility it does nothing online.

The max view distance on all servers ive visited is 1km , after that nothing is visible.

Edited by Guest

Was sniping at NW Airfield tonight, could only see upto ~860 metres due to fog/rain, when my VD was set to 4.2KM, just a heads up that it could be the server/map geography as opposed to mod limitations.

It is the mod , trust me. On a clear day on every server there is a max limit of 1/1.1 km

The max view distance on all servers ive visited is 1km , after that nothing is visible.

Are you certain? My friend has his VD set to 3000, and he reports a much, much shorter range of vision than me.

I can be 100% certain.

Ive played with groups of people on 50+ servers now and not one person has reported a view distance higher than 1100m

I thought it was 1600m, but yeah changing your view/draw distance in DayZ doesn't do anything because servers are locked at somewhere between 1100-1600m.

This may change, but I imagine its going to stay locked for now because there are too many variables in fps rate as it is.

The mission file settings takes precedence over server settings, server takes precedence over user settings.

mission.pbo > server > user

edit: If VD is increased then remove all sniper weapons and definitely thermal (can't believe they're still in)... they kill it anyway.

Edited by i76
  • Like 1

@i76:

Remove snipers 'n' thermals?? U high?!

Edited by Demnish

Yeah, furthest I've seen was 1.2km, that was it. I have my view distance at just over 3500, and I wonder if it is worth it...

Most servers I play on, everything disappears into a thin fog at 1km, and on some servers I can't even see zombies past 875 meters. I usually throw it around as just being fog, but thinking back I've never seen further. Does increasing it to 6k+ increase the view range past that 1km limit or is it really all server side?

Edited by Zeromentor

My guess is server side as someone posted in this thread.

it is server side.

As it stands anyway there is no point in sniper rifles at the moment , upping the view distance will allow their full potential while still allowing a little survivor to scout out for snipers long before he comes into their range.

It's a mystery to me why its so low...

Are you certain? My friend has his VD set to 3000, and he reports a much, much shorter range of vision than me.

The further you can see, the more data the server has to send. Limiting it keeps it manageable (on average) I guess.

Edited by Strogg

Increasing the view distance would make DayZ unplayable for some people.

Increasing the view distance would make servers send more data to players which increases lag. Awesome isn't it.

I have mine set to 10000. Hurts my fps, but the advantage is worth it.

DayZ is capped at 1600 view distance anyone saying they get more than that is just wrong. Go into ArmA 2 game with your higher view distance and see the difference. Even if in your options you have it set to 10,000 in DayZ you wont get more than 1600 (500 if its foggy :/ ), if you go into arma 2 with the 10,000 view distance it looks amazing.

And ArmA 2 non DayZ servers with 30+ people in have no trouble with it, so maybe its the zombies, they take so much processing power, that the server cant have a higher view distance?

With them improving zombies i hope they increase view distance, and stop with the shitty fake fog.

Edited by Rooneye
  • Like 3

Yeah, it's locked in DayZ but IMO it stops sniper rifles from being completely overpowered and is a good thing, lol.

Hello there

Some severs have it unlocked. Viewdistance is great to change but can kill your fps.

Rgds

LoK

This is done for purpose. Once a man tried to snipe me (I was running in Elektro unarmed). But because of fog I managed to flank him, take an ak-74 kobra from his backpack and put an end to his hunt. LOL

I just love how everyone above is like "Yea I lost from FPS" or "Man its in options." ... you guys ever watch the before and after of your adjustment? Lmao.

Locked - sucks. I been looking for how to increase it also, not just slide a bar that says I can now see 4000 meters... ain't working for me. I'd like to see it increased, but like mZLY is saying, pros and cons. Be able to see people a lot better sometimes with a better draw/render distance, game would look better for the computers out there that can handle it. Would give snipers another sharp edge to use - but the longer out the longer the round takes to impact, and the more you need a static target.

The maximum at 1 km is a server-side setting that can be changed on private hives

but to balance for people not capable of really high visibility ranges, they keep it low, and beyond 1km you cant shoot stuff unless with an as50 or m107, which are allready really powerfull

Increase the view distance they say, it'll help people scout for snipers they say. Trolls. Who would benefit more from the increased view distance, the bambi runnning through a field with a winchester or the camping guillie suit wearing sniper in a bush 1.5km away? How are you going to scout for a sniper at ranges of 1km+? That's ass backwards

• Like 1