DZ28

aiming???

ok so i can't figure out aiming in this game, it seems as any other game, when i find a gun i shoot where the cross hair is and sometimes they go down and sometimes not, also with a hatched i can be swinging and swinging at the zombie in front of me and it takes 5 swings just to hit and kill him, am i missing something??? or is the game just that buggy?

hatchet is a melee weapon, it doesnt shoot, it only requires reloading.. also the greater the distance, the greater the bullet drop on guns, some rifles even have zeroing, to match up your scope/ironsights with the distance of your target... try playing arma 2 and train your aiming before going into DayZ

Bullets have drop in this game. If you're using any assault rifle at over 300 meters it will drop 10 feet for every 100 meters over that.

Pistols are zeroed at 50 meters I believe.

Aim for the head with hatchets. Headshots are always instakills.

Pro tip: if the server has cross-hairs enabled use them instead of iron sights for pistols.

Don't use the in-game crosshairs, they're not as accurate as you think they are. Right-click mouse to bring up iron sights.

Also take into account the physics of ballistics. Uphill, downhill and bullet drop.

• Like 1

Bullets have drop in this game. If you're using any assault rifle at over 300 meters it will drop 10 feet for every 100 meters over that.

I did not know that. That is terribly unrealistic.

Well, you stepped in it there.

Smoke!

Cue the firearms guys and....... Action!

I expect at least one illustration of a ballistic trajectory and some kind of comparison between different drop rates below.

You're right, depending on the weapon it should be way more.

I had the hatchet problem also - sometimes it just misses the zombie even though he is right in front of me. The zombie teleporting around me sometimes doesn't help either of course.

The bullet drop is exaggerated(a little) in that quote, but bullets do drop.

And if you're shooting in 3rd person, the crosshair is far from accurate.

Actually the bullets don't just drop. The game has real ballistics, so the bullet climbs till the halfway point of it's zeroing, then it begins to drop. If you're zeroed to 300 meters, you'll overshoot your sights slightly at 150 meters and hit below at +400meters.

Also unlike other shooters, your bullet is spawned for the chamber of the rifle and not from your 1st/3rd person point of view. This means if you're relying on your artificial crosshairs you wont be as accurate. Using your sights wont automatically mean you score bullseye hit everytime either. Some sights are elevated high above the barrel, which means you'll hit much lower on extreme close ranges, so the best possible thing you can do, untill you know exactly what your sights can and cannot do, is to be very aware of where your hits impact your target or it's suroundings and correct accordingly.

Edited by Dallas