Rallige

DayZ Massive overhaul

BlineQ,

You pretty much described what I had in mind, while writing that part about zombies. It's just 2 things we depend on - quantity of zombies depends on further game optimization and server power, while their speed depends on Rocket's view of zed, not mine. I myself prefer slower one, and would love to see "headshots only" implemented.

while their speed depends on Rocket's view of zed, not mine. I myself prefer slower one, and would love to see "headshots only" implemented.
While some of it may be Rocket's view on zeds, there is another issue directly related to it: our ability to run for miles at full speed. This 'ability' makes it so that melee units (which are the only NPC opponents) have to be able to run fast. And i realy hope that Rocket will either copy/paste ACE code in relation to speed/weight, or just codes something he feels is appropriate for DayZ. The moment we can only Sprint for 50y at full speed, and can 'jog' for 15km at a medium speed. Will mean that zombies can all of a sudden move slower and still pose a thread, because we may be able to sprint away from them, but if our jog is slower than a zombie run, they will catch up with us, with their current persistance they WIL catch up with you...

And there is another reason why i hope he will do this, that is the glitches with zeds now. As i understood the animation was made for a slower speed, now the speed is not in sink with the ingame speed which makes it have to many animation frames: made animation is 25 frames/sec for a speed that only has 'time' for 20 frames/sec, meaning there are 5 frames 'left' a sec. Which obviously makes them 'buggy' ... then there is also the distance traveled with the animation, at a higher speed the zeds will travel more distance with an animation that lacks enough 'animation' for that distance... again making them buggy...

So once Rocket implements something like stamina which will then allow him to slow down the zeds without loosing the thread level they impose, and i think the gaming experience will increase due to a more fluid experience...

Edited by L0GIN

Amazing post, while being long to read it's definately worth it! I especially like the Idea of World Events, I have thought about these as well and think they would add a lot to DayZ, Military Convoy's or Small AWOL Soldier Squads. Those would not only pose a risk to players but also a way for players to fight and acquire Military Grade Equipment. I also really like the idea of skills, while it does sound quite gameish and rocket might dislike the idea just for that I think it should be thought through. Being a loner in Chernarus and you don't know how to properly bandage your wounds, let alone give someone a blood transfusion makes working together with people much more likely. The Weapon Scarcity will probably solve a lot of problems ( I hope so ! ), Weapons should be rare, their ammo even more, players will bow to other players who have guns and group up with them to survive, but will it be this way? What if the players with guns will just kill all the helpless people without... a delicate matter. You have my beans.

L0GIN - I agree on how zed animations feel speedy. Utilizing same animations at lesser speed would make them feel a lot smoother. But that indeed would require a slower pace of game AND slower zombies, which, AFAIK, possibly won't happen due to Rocket's view of zombies.

Colditz - Yeah, I thought that PvP could become somehow "elitist", but, on other thought, with ammo scarce and having global event going on (that might require that ammo to survive successfully) reduce possibility of that in my eyes. + don't forget the skill system. Would you risk a couple of days/weeks progress and training just to shoot helpless newbies?

The only way I see players would cooperate is if they actually need each other (like we need other people IRL), what can be achieved by locking some abilities for non - professionals (different former occupation). That would make PvP more group based rather than current Rambo style, when everyone can maintain themselves without any help from others.

+1 to

everything usually im the type of person to just stop reading as soon as skills are meantioned but you made a good point...in my mind they arn't really game skills and more like real life skills which is awsome

Rallige, speed is always relative, so the speed of the zed's is connected to the speed of the players, reduce the speed of the players and zeds speeds can be reduced aswell ... fairly simple in my views atleast ... and this is unrelated to a sort of vision for zeds because a player will related the speed of the zed to his own speed, as that is what determains whether a zed is fast or slow ... ;)

Nice post. I like a lot of your ideas.

Too many trolls on suggestion forum are just here to shoot everything down because they think dayz is a perfectly crafted example of something new.

That's definitely not the case.

PvP is great, but there does need to be some other options for player encounters other than A.) open fire on player. or B.) return fire when player opens up on you.

Would be nice if I could actually team up with someone ingame without the 99% chance that they will probably shoot me in the back of the head AFTER we establish peace and I turn around.

Found this thread after googling threads specifically looking at randomising/changing the way loot spawns work. I like most of these ideas a lot. I'm... Unsure what people seem to have against extra PvE content. It will in no way detract from any PvP experience, that is, unless you're a cherno/electro camper.

Randomised events, finding something 'new' and general "WTF happened here" moments are just as thrilling in this game (well, to me at least) as any player encounter, whether it be a firefight or a tense passing of characters in an airfield without shooting each other down.

The only thing I might add (which is really superfluous since any extra content would be sure to be fine tuned at a later time anyway) would be to include a degree of extra player options when they come across an unusual event. Say, for example, that that passing military convoy comes past, and rather than stalk it to a suitable ganking location, you opt to get ahead of it, stand by the road and salute/wave it down. Now you can join the convoy, and are tasked with making sure it reaches its target location safely (A big city, or an airfield, say). You'd have to help clear zeds along the path etc etc, but the real point here is now if any other players intercept, you may well be thrown into a fight with them, depending on how they react.

PvE players get their content, survivors and explorers have something out of the ordinary to react to, and last but not least, PvPers have a new angle to tackle players from. Ganking a player manned, NPC aided convoy sounds like fun

Oh and naturally, if the player who takes the "IMMA HELP OUT" route succeeds, they get a nice big gun/kit/ammo/supplies to choose from, with appropriate 'balancing' I suppose to be decided.

Edited by Warped_Jack

Hello OP, first and foremost did you even bother reading this?

http://dayzmod.com/f...before-posting/

If you'd have bothered to use the search function you'd realize that most of if not all of the text you've written about

in your little book has already been brought up and mentioned by others of the community. Not to mention Rocket

himself.

This is a suggestion forum not a personal blog.

P.S

I have been writing this for 2 days (with breaks / DayZ playing sessions of course, lol), and English is not my first language, so I apologize for possible mistakes.

Thank you for your attention. May the beans be with you. Always.

Man, you deserve more than beans... Have a Mountain Dew!

Granted I don't agree with everything you wrote, but the vast amount of ideas is great. Well done. :)

PVP makes this game, gtfo if you disagree.

And people like you are destorying the community.

Rocket said he was ashamed of the blatant non-constructive posts that people make on these forums.

You have dishonored the great Rocket.

ok, lets just say i want to be like you and put myself into the world, just like you want and rocket said.

What would you say to a writer if you found one in a apocalypse of zombies? well, just like that fat guy in the walking dead, he would need to rely on other to survive almost being useless. I think pre-occupations can be interesting, if its broadened up a lot, a large lot, or they could render some people sad, because statistically we would see most people getting more of the physical workers, including builders, soldiers, cops, etc and for mind guys, engineers, agronomers, medics, plumbers,IT etc,meanwhile occupations like teacher, philosopher, secretary, writer, etc would get those guys a hard time, and if we try to take this class system and use skills to be spawned with we will end up with non realistic "ocupations" that made us like that.

Also, since i liked your post very much, get a pic, it helps people identify you and your posts

Edited by indominator

You seem to be using a slightly different reading of the word 'sandbox' to the one i am used to. To me sandbox simply means 'open world' or 'free to go where and do what you want'. You seem to be using to term to mean 'a buildable environment'. I love sandbox games and dayz is the most sandboxy game i have encountered - i love the wy all the players are in the same environment and have all the same rules applied to them - no thirst dispensation for getting 50 zombie kills, for instance.

Edited by magrathea

nice post! like most of your ideas, especially the skill one and the event one.

You complaining about gun quantity is because of poor research. I don't know if you noticed this, but this game is set in Russia. Yes, RUSSIA. That means lots of guns.

Another thing is that you complained about PVP. As Rocket has said before, this is not a game. This is a simulator. Its not supposed to be a FUN GAME. I will agree that dying has no consequences but your 1 life per server idea is terrible. Adding NPC's is a terrible idea as well because then it might as well become War Z. Look up that GAME because that is what you are looking for. You essentially want to tear apart DayZ to become some fun RPG. Thats not the point of it.

You also said you wanted events with rewards and a bunch of people. That would be called a clan sir. Join a survivor or even a bandit clan and you will be happy. My clan is great. We've done full on raids of NW Airfield (with cars and flares, the whole 9 yards). We've taken over Cherno and Elektro and held them for several hours. You just have to be creative. The idea is kinda like Minecraft where you make your own fun. You make your own goals. Try finding a few vehicles and setting up a camp. That'll keep you busy for a month or so.

You just need to realize that this is not a game. Its a mod for a simulator. You want a game, go find it elsewhere but don't wish to ruin DayZ just because you aren't having fun.

Good Day sir

-Cpt0bv1us

• Like 2

You complaining about gun quantity is because of poor research. I don't know if you noticed this, but this game is set in Russia. Yes, RUSSIA. That means lots of guns.

Another thing is that you complained about PVP. As Rocket has said before, this is not a game. This is a simulator. Its not supposed to be a FUN GAME. I will agree that dying has no consequences but your 1 life per server idea is terrible. Adding NPC's is a terrible idea as well because then it might as well become War Z. Look up that GAME because that is what you are looking for. You essentially want to tear apart DayZ to become some fun RPG. Thats not the point of it.

You also said you wanted events with rewards and a bunch of people. That would be called a clan sir. Join a survivor or even a bandit clan and you will be happy. My clan is great. We've done full on raids of NW Airfield (with cars and flares, the whole 9 yards). We've taken over Cherno and Elektro and held them for several hours. You just have to be creative. The idea is kinda like Minecraft where you make your own fun. You make your own goals. Try finding a few vehicles and setting up a camp. That'll keep you busy for a month or so.

You just need to realize that this is not a game. Its a mod for a simulator. You want a game, go find it elsewhere but don't wish to ruin DayZ just because you aren't having fun.

Good Day sir

-Cpt0bv1us

So, adding content will ruin the game? Also, your only argument for not adding any NPC interaction is "it will become WarZ!" Errrm... no? WarZ so far promises a variety of very MMO elements, many of which are NOT included as ideas for this mod (and they shouldn't be). Having a few similar elements is not necessarily a bad thing. So is there any other reason not to include NPCs?

Also you take the common minecraft comparison. Minecraft added NPCs, and it was pointless. Totally pointless. It's taken months for them even to implement some sort of trading with the NPCs. That's cool and everything, and a lot of people whined about the NPCs then as well. But, being a sandbox, you have no requirement to interact with said NPCs anyway. Even when first pointlessly implemented, Minecraft didn't spontaneously combust and stop being a fun sandbox game.

Re: Clans - of course playing with people opens up more options to you. Surely adding more content also adds options for them too? (Both intended, and perhaps not intended) More content = more player options = more chances to be imaginative, surely?

Maybe I'm jumping the gun, but it does seem a lot of people are anti PvE content, just because it has a PvE label

Edited by Warped_Jack

I do like to see other weapons other than guns be put into the game. I mean at least chainsaw should be an option. Also spears, I mean all you need is a piece of sharpen metal, a stick and 2 nails will make a simple good for 2 hit spear. Since we are on the subject, why can't we use the hunting knife as weapon?

I was going to write a similar post, but since OP obviously went to the future, stole my ideas, and then returned to the past to write them down I'm just going to give you beans. That and the fact that posting a compilation of ideas rustles GenerationVII's jimmies, and that's the last thing I would want to do. :rolleyes:

There is one thing I would change, and one I would expand upon.

Rather than picking your specialization from the beginning, I like something more akin to what Argus posted. That being that you have [x] number of skill points to start out with, and you spend those points while performing those skills.

Your events idea is also something I've thought about. I would expand on your idea by suggesting mechanic that allows Admins, or some type of "Game Master" to randomly spawn shorter events as well. For example, say we get to the point where we have built fortifications (for this example it'd be an above ground one) and an admin/GM sees that there's a lot of people hanging out at said location, he could spawn some type of zombie invasion against the town that the people there would have to defend against. Obviously such a system could be abused, so some sort of system (maybe server rep?) would have to be added to try and prevent those types of situations.

Everyone is so dead set on turning this into something it is not, beans to you sir.

@Carebear Baddie: Implying any of his ideas are new and haven't been brought up already.

Everyone is so dead set on turning this into something it is not, beans to you sir.

@Carebear Baddie: Implying any of his ideas are new and haven't been brought up already.

But srsly. Why is change so bad? Give me a good reason why more content is a bad thing. Seriously.

oh ffs

why bother typing all that up

when you can't be arsed to get informed on your subject?

see sig or do the math for yourself at dayzmod.com

First off, MAJOR LOL if you believe every player who wasn't killed by PvP was killed by zombies. How many were killed by glitches, and better yet, how many hit the fucking respawn button?

Also, Do you know how many deaths were avoided due to aborting or ALT + F4ing? Tens of thousands at least. You can't even get a confirmed kill unless you have a sniper rifle or sneak up on someone.

Use your brain.

Edited by TheProphecy
  • Like 1

You complaining about gun quantity is because of poor research. I don't know if you noticed this, but this game is set in Russia.

Facepalm N1 - This game is set in Chernarus - fictional post - soviet country, 225 sq km and about 3,5 million citizens. Not Russia

, RUSSIA. That means lots of guns.

Facepalm N2 - have you ever been in Russia? I have. And I live in a rather big post-soviet country (Ukraine). We don't have AK's in fire stations and we don't hunt deers with M16. Following your stereotype, there should be bears, vodka and matrioshka around every corner of cherno, lol

You also said you wanted events with rewards.

Facepalm N3 - where did I mention rewards? (other than logical loot from killed NPC soldiers, which makes perfect sense).

Facepalm N4 - Pretty much the first thing I tell about myself is that I'm playing with skype-buddies. So I have good experience in both group and lonely surviving.

Free facepalms for everyone! Thank you for taking your time to type all that, anyway.

• Like 2

well thought out post, definately like some of your ideas, especially the events are a very sweet idea.

But srsly. Why is change so bad? Give me a good reason why more content is a bad thing. Seriously.

You are talking apples and pears here m8, change =/= adding content aka expanding on the current game's direction.

Let me summarize it for you:

OP wants skill levels, a class system and a week/day based event thing. Sound familiar? Yep because

this forum is infested with pointless threads like this one, only this chap decided to write a book about it.

If you'd have bothered to listen to Rocket or his interviews at all, you'd realise this is not the direction he wants

to take DayZ in. If you're looking for said things, DayZ isn't for you and THAT'S PERFECTLY FINE.

Stop trying to turn it into something you want it to be and enjoy the ride. You don't HAVE to play DayZ.

• Like 1