ZedsDeadBaby

Prediction: Life expectancy to fall sharply in 1.7.2.4 due to extended suicides

In 1.7.2.4 the Respawn button will be disabled, which will drastically cut down on this behavior.

Is there a place I can see patch notes?

It will be interesting to see how the changes effect the stats. I personally don't pay much attention to them. I wouldn't mind a way to find out my personal average life span. Speaking of stats....I don't know if there is information on running speeds anywhere but I did my own little test and it seemed my guy ran 300m/min while standing ( not sprinting just jogging the whole time)....which means he can run 3000m/10min and if you wanna meet up with a friend it would only take 10min if yous were 6000meters apart or closer. That's if you are both adept at playing. To newbie friends...well that might take 10hrs for you to meet up. lol funny how big I thought the map was when I started playing some 350+ hrs ago.

You're making a lot of assumptions here. If you're a fresh spawn, you don't have a map or compass(the latter being the only real important of the two). You aren't going to be able to run a straight line to your friends. If you try, you'd better not get turned around if you don't have a compass, or you'll easily double the time. Your estimates assume that you can run as the bird flies with zero complications on the way, which, I think we all know is unlikely even in the absolute best circumstances.

It seems most people, on this issue, assume you can have a nice straight trouble-free run to your friends. Well, they justify it as such. Even though this literally never, ever happens.

What should really happen is that once you SPAWN anywhere that is your spawn point for 24 hours, it only shifts by a few 100 meters but is always around the same area. You can suicide yourself ALL you want but you will always respawn in kamenka.

fixed.

i think that would have to be done by server, and subject to server restarts. I don't think the Hive could handle telling each server you play on to only spawn you at Kamenka.

How about removing Kamenka as a spawn and only spawning far west as Komarovo? Lets face it, Kamenka is the one of the worst respawn points, along with Quarry (unless you're heading to Berezino) at Solinichy.

I call bullshit on pretty much everything you've said here. What you've said is entirely inane. If we're on two opposite sides of the coast, you now want me to spend even MORE time scavenging before I meet up with them? This is now a multi-hour process. You're stupid for even thinking like that and it's obvious you do play alone or you'd know better. I stand by my statement. You play alone so everyone else should have to. Real nice.

Like I said before, shut the fuck up. Your horribly biased opinion isn't needed because we've all seen your arguments before. Your 'my way or the highway' attitude on it makes you incapable of having any real discussion on the matter.

Yet again I want to remind you that preventing people from 'selecting' their spawn isn't even why this change is being made, so stop barking up that tree. Not wanting to spend two hours getting to my friends because I died at the NW airfield(which i'm sure that just makes me bad, you've never died there) and they didn't is not wanting 'instant gratification'. But I guess that's how all you ex-call of duty'ers blend in.

i play with a group and i'm okay with the travel time really. had to do it last night when unfortunate circumstances ended me while we were north of berezino. spawned in cherno, and we had to reconfigure our plans to meet back up. on the way to our rendevous point, they happened upon a helicopter crash site. in about ten minutes from my respawn i had looted multiple beverages, a double barrel shotgun, various ammo, some food, and an axe and this was all en route to the meet up point. it may be an inconvenience, but really it fits in well with the overall theme of the game. it makes death more meaningful and emotional. keeps things brutal, changes your gameplan immediately if you're playing with a group and gives you a new objective besides just get the loot, kill any threats, etc.

I call bullshit on pretty much everything you've said here. What you've said is entirely inane. If we're on two opposite sides of the coast, you now want me to spend even MORE time scavenging before I meet up with them? This is now a multi-hour process. You're stupid for even thinking like that and it's obvious you do play alone or you'd know better. I stand by my statement. You play alone so everyone else should have to. Real nice.

I'll say it again nicely, maybe you didn't understand my simple English last time: I play in a group. We don't rely on each other to watch our backs. We do solo missions of scaving when nobody else is on. We don't rely on each other, so much as we help each other when the time comes. So maybe I do play alone. But when it's time for us to rally the troops, we drive around, hop into the UAZ, and head to where ever we're raiding. Hope that clarified it for you. It's the last time I'll say it.

Now then, I'm glad that scavenging and filling up your empty inventory is a 'multi-hour process'. Since it's so hard for you to raid Kamenka, Komaravo, and Balota while your team mates walk from the Northeast Airfield, and meet you somewhere around Vyshnoye, if not even closer to the southwest. I'm also glad to hear that scavenging for extra weapons, ammunition, food, supplies, et cetera, instead of wasting time walking, is stupid. That's why, if ever I happen to miraculously come across you in game, no matter how friendly you are, I will shoot you on sight as soon as you bend down to check a loot pile, since looting is stupid.

Like I said before, shut the fuck up. Your horribly biased opinion isn't needed because we've all seen your arguments before. Your 'my way or the highway' attitude on it makes you incapable of having any real discussion on the matter.

And yet, your horribly biased opinion is needed. And what about your 'my way or the highway' attitude you're clearly presenting in this topic, Mr. Valec? Are you excused from the rules of the class for some reason? If so, I'd love to hear it, skippy.

Yet again I want to remind you that preventing people from 'selecting' their spawn isn't even why this change is being made, so stop barking up that tree. Not wanting to spend two hours getting to my friends because I died at the NW airfield(which i'm sure that just makes me bad, you've never died there) and they didn't is not wanting 'instant gratification'. But I guess that's how all you ex-call of duty'ers blend in.

I love this argument you set up here. I really, really do. I just love your logic in this post. Let me break it down for you in a couple of bullet points. That might make my argument more comprehensible for someone like you.

• "[...] preventing people from 'selecting' their spawn isn't even why this change is being made, [...]"
    • Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. So why are we even discussing it?
      • Well, because it's the point you decided you had to defend so adamantly when I commented that it was a stupid idea in my original post you quoted.

[*]Have I died at the NW Airfield before?

• Yes. I have. Has the rest of my team picked up my loot and met me in the fields west of Stary?
      • Yes, they have. Does that make me a better player than you?
        • Fuck no, not quite sure where you even came up with that assumption. But hey, whatever.

[*]Is wanting to spawn near your team instant gratification?

• Yes. How so?
      • Because you want a reward (team play) with no work at all (having to play the RNG game and take what the computer gives you). I'd call that instant gratification.

[*]"[...] that's how all you ex-call of duty'ers blend in."

• Not minding that I have to walk a couple extra kilometers to meet up with my group makes me an ex-Call of Duty'er?
      • Well, alrighty skippy. Your science, your math, your logic. Not quite sure where the hell you're pulling that one. But hey. Must make sense to you... somehow.

i play with a group and i'm okay with the travel time really. had to do it last night when unfortunate circumstances ended me while we were north of berezino. spawned in cherno, and we had to reconfigure our plans to meet back up. on the way to our rendevous point, they happened upon a helicopter crash site. in about ten minutes from my respawn i had looted multiple beverages, a double barrel shotgun, various ammo, some food, and an axe and this was all en route to the meet up point. it may be an inconvenience, but really it fits in well with the overall theme of the game. it makes death more meaningful and emotional. keeps things brutal, changes your gameplan immediately if you're playing with a group and gives you a new objective besides just get the loot, kill any threats, etc.

It's more than just an inconvenience.. Not everybody can play until the wee hours in the morning(I can, but a couple guys in my group cannot), so anything that keeps us not playing together for a significant amount of time is a problem. Yes, we can scavenge in the mean time, but i'm not playing this game to be a lone survivor scavenging cherno and getting my face blown off by some toughguy sniper(or god forbid, a hacker).

I think that's something else people are forgetting. They say die less, make each life count more.. Yeah, well, when you(general statement to those in the thread, not to whom I quoted) figure out how to survive a server nuke, you let me know.

I'll say it again nicely, maybe you didn't understand my simple English last time: I play in a group. We don't rely on each other to watch our backs. We do solo missions of scaving when nobody else is on. We don't rely on each other, so much as we help each other when the time comes. So maybe I do play alone. But when it's time for us to rally the troops, we drive around, hop into the UAZ, and head to where ever we're raiding. Hope that clarified it for you. It's the last time I'll say it.

Now then, I'm glad that scavenging and filling up your empty inventory is a 'multi-hour process'. Since it's so hard for you to raid Kamenka, Komaravo, and Balota while your team mates walk from the Northeast Airfield, and meet you somewhere around Vyshnoye, if not even closer to the southwest. I'm also glad to hear that scavenging for extra weapons, ammunition, food, supplies, et cetera, instead of wasting time walking, is stupid. That's why, if ever I happen to miraculously come across you in game, no matter how friendly you are, I will shoot you on sight as soon as you bend down to check a loot pile, since looting is stupid.

And yet, your horribly biased opinion is needed. And what about your 'my way or the highway' attitude you're clearly presenting in this topic, Mr. Valec? Are you excused from the rules of the class for some reason? If so, I'd love to hear it, skippy.

I love this argument you set up here. I really, really do. I just love your logic in this post. Let me break it down for you in a couple of bullet points. That might make my argument more comprehensible for someone like you.

• "[...] preventing people from 'selecting' their spawn isn't even why this change is being made, [...]"
    • Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. So why are we even discussing it?
      • Well, because it's the point you decided you had to defend so adamantly when I commented that it was a stupid idea in my original post you quoted.

[*]Have I died at the NW Airfield before?

• Yes. I have. Has the rest of my team picked up my loot and met me in the fields west of Stary?
      • Yes, they have. Does that make me a better player than you?
        • Fuck no, not quite sure where you even came up with that assumption. But hey, whatever.

[*]Is wanting to spawn near your team instant gratification?

• Yes. How so?
      • Because you want a reward (team play) with no work at all (having to play the RNG game and take what the computer gives you). I'd call that instant gratification.

[*]"[...] that's how all you ex-call of duty'ers blend in."

• Not minding that I have to walk a couple extra kilometers to meet up with my group makes me an ex-Call of Duty'er?
      • Well, alrighty skippy. Your science, your math, your logic. Not quite sure where the hell you're pulling that one. But hey. Must make sense to you... somehow.

Oh boy, this is where you really display your ignorance. Have fun raiding Kamenka and Kamarova for essentially nothing but a few cans of food and drink. Really, great work there!

I think i'm done dealing with you distorting my words into meaning something they don't. Examples of this being: Implying that simply scavenging is a multi-hour process, when that was never the point. Also, wanting teamplay is not 'instant gratifcation'. This isn't an opinion. What you said makes virtually no sense. You claim to be speaking english, and the words most certainly are, but you clearly don't understand their meaning. Once again, I must insist you shut the fuck up.

Now, on to my favorite bullet point of yours. I wasn't suggesting maybe this change wasn't being made to prevent people from spawning close to where they wanted to be. It's a fucking fact. It can't be debate. Why is this? Because Rocket said so, that's why. But you wouldn't know that, because you, once again, really only care about things that force people to play the way you play.

Of course I have a biased(though not terribly biased, like you) opinion. This change will seriously impact my group. I can tell you're a liar and a loner by the fact that this will not impact you at all and you've no concern for those who it does. This is what makes your opinion worthless. You only care for how the game plays for you. I'm all for working on a system that prevents spawn abuse and promotes grouping. That's the difference between my attitude and yours. You just want to pick off loners trying to find their friends.

Seriously, i'm not asking. Just gtfo.

Edited by Valec

Not anymore.

However, I think the most interesting out of anything is that once you only include people who lived for at least 3 hours, they usually live for days, while the average is still only a bit over 6 hours. North vs city campers?

By usually live for days I mean that while the average isn't all that high, you suddenly get a lot of really high results that clearly standout, but still a fair bunch of 3-6 hour people keeping the average down.

• Like 2

I'm not sure if you have looked up any of rocket's posts on the matter, but he has made several addressing this complaint. Yes, it will be a pain in the arse, for now. But the issue will be examined more fully when he starts to work on group/clan dynamics.

I'm not going to tell you that you can't voice your opinion on the subject, but I think that complaining about this is like complaining that zeds walk indoors. Yes, it's a bug/problem, rocket knows about it, and he'll address it at the appropriate time. The point is, you and rocket basically agree that it is a problem, so there isn't much left to be said until the group dynamic phase comes (which is targeted for the standalone iirc).

rocket's posts:

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/42806-pending-update-build-1724/page__view__findpost__p__418800

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/42806-pending-update-build-1724/page__view__findpost__p__406482

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/42806-pending-update-build-1724/page__view__findpost__p__406242

I feel like there is probably a way to condense those links into a hyperlinked word, but I don't know how. I am a software developer. How sad is it I don't know how forum tags work?

• Like 1

It's more than just an inconvenience.. Not everybody can play until the wee hours in the morning(I can, but a couple guys in my group cannot), so anything that keeps us not playing together for a significant amount of time is a problem. Yes, we can scavenge in the mean time, but i'm not playing this game to be a lone survivor scavenging cherno and getting my face blown off by some toughguy sniper(or god forbid, a hacker).

I think that's something else people are forgetting. They say die less, make each life count more.. Yeah, well, when you(general statement to those in the thread, not to whom I quoted) figure out how to survive a server nuke, you let me know.

totally understand your frustration about limited playtime, but i still think it's appropriate for the mod. your goals and objectives are supposed to be organic to whatever challenge or situation you're suddenly faced with. losing a member or having to regroup is just one of those brutal, unfair, frustation invoking situations and challenges you gotta overcome. from my perspective (and this is just my perspective), without those frustratingly disappointing situations, you wouldn't have the extreme highs you get out of dayz. without the incentive or consequences to death, firefights just wouldn't have the same intensity. others will probably disagree with me and that's fine, just my two cents on it.

• Like 1

totally understand your frustration about limited playtime, but i still think it's appropriate for the mod. your goals and objectives are supposed to be organic to whatever challenge or situation you're suddenly faced with. losing a member or having to regroup is just one of those brutal, unfair, frustation invoking situations and challenges you gotta overcome. from my perspective (and this is just my perspective), without those frustratingly disappointing situations, you wouldn't have the extreme highs you get out of dayz. without the incentive or consequences to death, firefights just wouldn't have the same intensity. others will probably disagree with me and that's fine, just my two cents on it.

I do agree in incentive/consequences to death, i'm just not sure a large chunk of time should be the price. I won't say in every case, but in many cases, you lose everything you had. Considering that this is more of a death penalty than most games even consider, i'm in the camp that it's enough. Losing your gear and having to spend large amounts of time reconnecting with your group seems extreme to me, and honestly, not very fun. I know this game is intended to be quite harsh, even brutal, however the end objective is still for it to be fun, isn't it?

EDIT: Right then. Got a little hot on the collar. Still willing to give the TeamSpeak if you don't believe I roll with a group.

Edited by KWilt

Probably will, since you're a loner and don't actually care about anti-grouping mechanics being implemented because it doesn't affect you. Don't pretend there's any other reason, you just want more opportunities to catch other people alone while trying to reconnect with their group. Allowing players to choose their spawn is exactly what should be implemented. Solves the problem Rocket is having and continues to promote group play. There would have to be obvious conditions to this, such as you certainly cannot spawn somewhere you just died(even if you start with nothing, it'd be bullshit for you to run into the area you died, find a gun, and kill that fellow who just killed you).

Selective spawning does not have to be ridiculous. However telling somebody they have to run from Kamenka to Berezino since they were the only member of their group to die.. you don't find that ridiculous? And enough of this 10-15 minute walk. That is not even remotely close to the time it takes, even if you could bee-line straight to it.

Here here!,

you have my beans man,

as I said in another post "there's a fine line between HARDCORE and TORTUOUS"

DayZ already straddles that line in too many ways,

a spawn point option doesn't have to detract from the hardcore elements of the game,

but frankly,"superhuman runspeed" or not,there are way too many long runs with sweet fuck all to do but stare at the trees in this game already.

Edited by Sandman Slim

I do agree in incentive/consequences to death, i'm just not sure a large chunk of time should be the price. I won't say in every case, but in many cases, you lose everything you had. Considering that this is more of a death penalty than most games even consider, i'm in the camp that it's enough. Losing your gear and having to spend large amounts of time reconnecting with your group seems extreme to me, and honestly, not very fun. I know this game is intended to be quite harsh, even brutal, however the end objective is still for it to be fun, isn't it?

not ultimately sure. i haven't seen rocket explicitly state that fun was one of the design goals of the mod, just emotions, world framework/architecture, and choices. doesn't mean it's not one of his goals though. i think end objective varies from person to person really, so i can only speak for myself. for me, i'm here for the provocative experiences, good and bad. i try not to let the frustrating things discourage me too much, like last night... to elaborate on last night, i did not adequately communicate my location to my team, and my friend ended up shooting me in the dick with an AS50.

Edited by p1n34l

EDIT: Right then. Got a little hot on the collar. Still willing to give the TeamSpeak if you don't believe I roll with a group.

You're obviously not the only one who got heated. I don't honestly disbelieve that you run in a group, but you often enjoy those solo periods that is apparent from what you've said in your posts. However for me, I like to spend virtually all my time with my group, to the point where I don't really even play without them. I know this isn't how everyone plays but it's how I have the most enjoyment.

So you're saying that the problem would be negated if everyone joined one of the most divisive and violent sects in all history? I'm skeptical.

yepp, wait till sunday throw a few frag nades through the church door that solves several problems

Selective spawning, or constant respawning to get where you want to be, goes against one of the things Rocket has said he wants at Respawn - a sense of disorientation. If you and your buddies can just spawn close to each other how is that disorientating?

There should be more negatives associated with death, not just inconvenience. One of my pet hates and something which cant really be rectified is the fact that players can just run off back to their previous body or buddies and be fully geared up again in 20 minutes. How authentic or realistic is that? Does anyone actually take the time to start from scratch anymore - those initial few hours where you have nothing are always the most intense and best for me. I suppose its what you want out of the game.

Unsurprisingly there is a somewhat similar vein of discussion going on in the suggestions thread, and I think some of my comments there apply here as well so instead of rephrasing them, I will just quote myself:

It's all a matter of perspective. My survivals at this point are usually in the 15+ day range and the same goes for the members of my immediate group of friends.

If we die before Day 10 we make fun of each other for having such a short life.

So, yeah, if we have to spend 30 minutes or a couple hours or even a day roaming around and gearing up after death before we meet back up with our friends it really doesn't amount to much in the grand scheme of things. Most of the time we are alive, together, and cooperating and communicating to accomplish group-oriented activities. Honestly, a few hours alone is a nice break and a change of pace once in a long while.

Of course it's not for me to say ultimately, but DayZ does not strike me as a casual, short-session kind of game. If you only have 90 minutes to play once or twice a week, so that a 20 minute run seems prohibitive to your enjoyment of the game, then I'm not convinced DayZ is the place for you.

But, I honestly believe much of the complaint is hyperbole. I'm guessing your average DayZ player has a few hours at least each week to devote, so a 15, 20 or even 45 minute investment in that initial gear-up-and-meet phase is really not asking much, and it ultimately enhances the experience and encourages long-term survival. Some people regret losing gear when they die but honestly the biggest loss to me is contact with my group of friends. And I think that's cool. DayZ has made me value the company of friends more than equipment and gear.

If you spawn with your friend it would just be like "Oh, hey. There you are. Okay, let's play." But when you have to spawn alone and hunt and search and scavenge and communicate and claw your way to meet each other, it turns it into something of import. That moment you come up over the ridge and first see your friend, the giddy calls of "Is that you? Holy shit it's you!" and the relief you feel at finally having someone there to watch your back... it means so much more when you have had to put a little effort into it, you know?

"Nothing easy, nothing free." I think that's DayZ's motto. And for me it works. It makes the small things seem large. In most games, I take it for granted that my friends will be right there when I login, and if not they can "summon" me at a moment's notice. In DayZ if I login alone, I actually feel lonely - and I think that says something about this design direction.

Personally I like it.

I'm not asking you to feel the same way.

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby
  • Like 1

Selective spawning, or constant respawning to get where you want to be, goes against one of the things Rocket has said he wants at Respawn - a sense of disorientation. If you and your buddies can just spawn close to each other how is that disorientating?

There should be more negatives associated with death, not just inconvenience. One of my pet hates and something which cant really be rectified is the fact that players can just run off back to their previous body or buddies and be fully geared up again in 20 minutes. How authentic or realistic is that? Does anyone actually take the time to start from scratch anymore - those initial few hours where you have nothing are always the most intense and best for me. I suppose its what you want out of the game.

It tells you where you are when you respawn. How is that disorientating?