Capercaillie

Ban all Bandits!

Bring back side chat?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Bring back side chat

Or actually, to be more precise, ban the USE of word "bandit". There are no bandits in Day Z, only survivors and zombies.

Now that I have your attention, let's get on to the actual subject which is pretty much related to this "banditry" thing in Day Z. We all know some of us find "banditry" very annoying, and some even think it is "killing the game" and ruining it.

I personally find it thrilling, and don't consider it a problem at all, THIS IS NOT A CAREBEAR POST!

Lets have a closer look at banditry and what are the actual reasons for banditry.

1. some say banditry is caused by the lack of "end-game" activities.
  2. some think, bandits are all "CoD kiddies" who, as soon as they find an Enfield, go out to Cherno and start killing people mindlessly (also the reason: immaturity, not playing the game as it's supposed to be played)
  3. for some, banditry is a way to survive, they choose not to sneak into places and loot stuff, instead they murder fellow survivors for supplies.
  4. and then, last but not least, another reason for banditry is the lack of trust in this game.

There, we have a list of reasons for banditry, lets analyze them a bit.

-I think it's safe to say, we can strike through number one, since there are NO immortal survivors. Everyone dies in this game, even the most elite and high-geared players. Surviving is the only necessary activity needed in this game, you start by surviving, your mid game passes along surviving, and when you are getting those military-grade snipers, nvg's and stuff, what you actually do, is survive.

Some attempts end on the beach, some end to a desperate run through cherno, some at the NW airfield, some in a desperate attempt to scavenge food from a barn. My point is, that everyone DIES in this game. No need for extra "end-game" activities.

-Number two will be stroke through, simply because it is an offensive and an immature excuse to the lack of your OWN survival skills in this virtual world.

Someone smart once said something like "It just IS 100% your own fault when you die in Day Z" or something like that. Needless to go deeper in this one.

-Number three, well what can I say, it is just a way of how one chooses to play this awesome game. If someone has a problem with this, they need to understand that it is not wrong to choose a playstyle encouraged even by the devs.

Lets get to the final reason, in my opinion the "biggest" reason for banditry: the lack of trust between players, which causes a fair share of all the KoS moments.

Considering you play alone, how many times have you found yourself in a situation where it would not hurt you to have someone watching your six, where you could use an overwatch with the vision of a hawk, or just that someone to take out those zombies which have you pinned down?

From my experience, there has been NUMEROUS times, where a total stranger could have saved my ass in the brutal world of chernarus.

Then WHY do people rather kill the other player, than make contact with them and cooperate?

There is no trust. (Thank you captain obvious)

WHY is there no trust between players?

Because there is no actual and legit way to build/gain it!

Our ways of building trust include:

1. Direct chat
  2. Salute
  3. Lowering your weapon
  4. "jiggling?" (=hammering Q and E repeatedly)

All of these, are impractical and rather useless.

1. Direct chat (from my experience at least) doesn't ALWAYS work properly.
  2. Making your friendliness show through a salute makes you an easy target, since the other player must actually SEE you. In addition, you are not controlling your character while saluting (ie. you will not be able to defend yourself while your shooting hand is touching your forehead..) which increases the chances the other player will just shoot you instead of saluting back.
  3. Lowering your weapon is almost equal to number 2. It will only make you an easy target for the other player.
  4. Never tried to make contact using this method, it seems quite useless though, the laggy netcode would probably not show half of the twists to the other player, and while you were focused on making the jiggling correctly, the other guy would just simply shoot you as you were walking towards them.

Now we get to the actual point of this thread, and the actual suggestion:

Please bring side chat back to the game!

Why? (pros)

Well, it is, by far the BEST way to build trust in the game. I remember numerous times cooperating with total strangers by first chatting through side channel and then meeting up somewhere. After side channel was removed, I have met ZERO players who would have cooperated with me.

Everyone will kill on sight, because it is better to kill the other player than wake up at the beach again. At first I tried to cooperate, but after being shot a couple times, I realised it is worthless and will CERTAINLY lead to my own death.

Imagine the following situation:

You are in the apartment house in Berenzino. You see some player ~200 meters away from you. For some of us the solution jumps in right here: You pull the trigger.

Some let the situation go further, and as the player proceeds towards you, you start to wonder what to do, can I trust this guy?

Now the player is already in the stairs, you hear him coming up. You are not quite sure in what floor he is, so which one do you do: Point your gun at the door, ready to empty the magazine to the first creature that enters the room, OR start writing in direct channel: "Who is there, are you friendly"?

I'd choose the first option. Why? coz I don't want to die ofc!!

What if I start typing to him, and then as I'm writing that I have no bad intentions he pops in and puts a bullet in my head? I'm not gonna take that chance..

Imagine the same situation with side channel enabled! You can safely contact him when he is 200 meters away from you, you can ask him about what is he up to, and you have time to make your mind whether he is friendly or not. The decision does not have to be made in a quarter of a second, you can actually communicate with him! If you figure out he might be hostile, you can simply warn him not to enter. If you'd like to have that extra guy in your party, simply invite him in and see where it goes!

Another reason to bring side chat back:

As players start to communicate in game, THAT is how new and great ideas are born!

I doubt half of the players even have a forum account, what if they could discuss their ideas IN GAME with fellow players?

cons of this suggestion:

Well of course many are annoyed by the "shit talk" on side chat, but I guess that is bearable, and then we would get back to the question about language rules etc. but these are BEARABLE, since imho the amount of interesting and immersive player encounters would go up by about 10000%.

Some things to "inb4"

inb4 "not realistic": Well think about it, we are talking about a GAME, not real life. IMO it's totally fine for a game to have some "unrealistic" things and systems.

inb4 "bandits would use it as a trap": If you are st00ped enough to fall for a "Giving away free beanz in Cherno for EVERYONE", then you probably die alot even without the massive temptations side chat brings with it.

inb4 "teamspeak, skype, ventrilo etc...": This is probably the most retarded argument against side chat, side chat is for making contact to UNKNOWN people, not your friends. People you DON'T know won't just magically join your ventrilo server when you encounter them in Day Z!

TL;DR

If you don't bother reading the whole post, then please refrain from commenting for the sake of everyone.

Yes I know, the title might be(=IS) a little misleading, but that is just to gain attention and I find it acceptable since I put more effort and thought to this than I put on regular suggestion posts.

AND NO, I AM NOT A CAREBEAR! Actually my current character has committed 17 murders!

Thank you

if you actually read it this far. I appreciate all opinions, but hey, lets keep it civilized and mature.

No need to start ranting here since it's been done over and over again in these forums.

Now, I'm sure I forgot to mention something as I thought this through, but I will add more if they pop in my mind.

Thanks

- Capercaillie

*EDIT:

A great post, a nice idea which would basically have the same effects as the side chat, with probably more immersion and no (at least it seems there are no) downsides

Also, it has been suggested that there should be a system, something like "direct shout", which would increase the range of direct to a few hundred meters, with the downside of pulling some zombie aggro.

Edited by Capercaillie
  • Like 8

im voting yes...but maybe not a global channel...what about a channel that has a much longer range say several hundred meters?

*not sure how hard that would be to implement that is all, but what your saying about side chat is right ive met no1 since it was last i met 1 guy and his friends through it and play with them now...since then weve not met anyone bar the guys camp who we raided who we have become tentative friends but a mix up happened online another day and we shot them all dead *shrug* didnt know it was them till one of the deaths popped in the bottom left

Edited by Evertos
  • Like 3

Banditry is a type of surviving, but it's stupid and immature to go around and say that you are friendly and then kill someone! And it's also stupid to kill someone who presented themself as friendly.

I usually just back off and trust none, but don't kill them.

• Like 1

• Increase radius for direct comm (shouts) - but it alerts zombies.
  • Add radios and broadcast towers.
  • Add signal flags and more colored smoke grenades/flares to indicate intentions from a distance.
  • Add more clothing customization options for squad identification.
  • And a million other mechanics that would be a lot cooler than side chat.

From the EverQuest West Commonlands to WoW's Barrens to Stormwind Trade Chat I have had enough of global chat channels spammed day-in day-out with ridiculous bullshit, racist trolls, rantings, ravings and general ass-hattery. I don't miss it in DayZ and I don't want it back.

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby
  • Like 4

I agree, always did love side chat. You could ask someone the friendly questions, and if they don't respond, just shoot, and if they do, team up or just go your separate ways.

• Like 2

Hi Capercaillie

I agree with a lot of what you are saying and understand where you are coming from. Within my first first hour of playing the game I realised it was a lonely cruel world. Thats when I decided to join a clan, that's the solution really!!

None of this direct chat stuff - headset and mic - Roll with a crew dude

Edited by Gregg

I have read your post and want to add my 2 cents.

Side channel: Yeah because I can shout really loud.

I have met plenty of nice ppl though. Been shot through the head at cherno too from outta nowhere.. Its part of the game and I wouldn't want it any other way.

But in regards to end game activities iam referring to an interview with mister Rocket and Sidestrafe where he says that players should be able to atleast influence the map more in a way of making a base or place to operate from (underground?!). The map albeit so huge not even counting offmap. Does lack distinctive features like caves and bunkers making real strategic decisions for a base difficult since all sides know the layout.

Hi Capercaillie

I agree with a lot of what you are saying and understand where you are coming from. Within my first first hour of playing the game I realised it was a lonely cruel world. Thats when I decided to join a clan, that's the solution really!!

doesent really add something to the game on its own that though requires going somewhere external finding a group and joining them... there needs to be something that stimulates player experiences together IN the game i genuinely beleive the biggest cause of the midless killing is the problems we face comunicating.

like i said channel does not need to be global but genuinely i think a radius of 400-800 meters wouldnt be a bad thing. again if it can attrackt zombies as used then great but thats gonna be awkward to implement, but if i shout in a deserted city at the top of my voice it will carry a long way and also be hard to pinpoint the direction

Even the TL;DR was tl;dr. Thread is a fail.

Thank you for your immature and useless shitpost!

im voting yes...but maybe not a global channel...what about a channel that has a much longer range say several hundred meters?

*not sure how hard that would be to implement that is all, but what your saying about side chat is right ive met no1 since it was last i met 1 guy and his friends through it and play with them now...since then weve not met anyone bar the guys camp who we raided who we have become tentative friends but a mix up happened online another day and we shot them all dead *shrug* didnt know it was them till one of the deaths popped in the bottom left

I like the idea of the increased direct chat range, maybe that'd be a better option!

Banditry is a type of surviving, but it's stupid and immature to go around and say that you are friendly and then kill someone! And it's also stupid to kill someone who presented themself as friendly.

I usually just back off and trust none, but don't kill them.

Yeah, well I don't see how this relates to bringing back side chat or not?

• Increase radius for direct comm (shouts) - but it alerts zombies.
  • Add radios and broadcast towers.
  • Add signal flags and more colored smoke grenades/flares to indicate intentions from a distance.
  • Add more clothing customization options for squad identification.
  • And a million other mechanics that would be a lot cooler than side chat.

From the EverQuest West Commonlands to WoW's Barrens to Stormwind Trade Chat I have had enough of global chat channels spammed day-in day-out with ridiculous bullshit, racist trolls, rantings, ravings and general ass-hattery. I don't miss it in DayZ and I don't want it back.

I totally understand your point of view, and I've had my experiences of these useless shitspeakers in global chats. But I found it little to not disturbing at all in Day Z, since there was a very small amount of it in side chat.

Perhaps a possibility to "hide" the side chat if it becomes too annoying?

Also the suggestion of increasing range of direct IS a good idea imo.

I always have found the whole TL;DR concept odd, if you can't stand reading words wtf are you doing on a forum? I also think you left out one of the biggest reasons for 'Banditry', because people find it fun and entertaining to cause misery to others. Just look at NightRipper up there and you have a perfect example. I'm not going to go into the types of people who act like this, no need to start that flame war. Basically as long as people can, they will as long as they think they can get away with it.

I mean, just think how different the internet would be if all anonymity was taken away.

Edited by Warlord Bob
  • Like 2

Hi Capercaillie

Hi Gregg!

nowadays I always play with my friends: ventrilo, some cold beer and Day Z. GF seems to have some issues with it though..

It would still add something to the game if we were able to communicate with those other survivors we meet, instead of monitoring/killing them or watching them alt+f4 as they pop in front of us.

I have read your post and want to add my 2 cents.

Side channel: Yeah because I can shout really loud.

I have met plenty of nice ppl though. Been shot through the head at cherno too from outta nowhere.. Its part of the game and I wouldn't want it any other way.

But in regards to end game activities iam referring to an interview with mister Rocket and Sidestrafe where he says that players should be able to atleast influence the map more in a way of making a base or place to operate from (underground?!). The map albeit so huge not even counting offmap. Does lack distinctive features like caves and bunkers making real strategic decisions for a base difficult since all sides know the layout.

about that "side channel: yeah because I can shout really loud"

I take it as an argument about "realism", am I right?

Can you also respawn after you die?

I knew talking about these "end game" stuff would lead into derailing of the discussion. OFC it would be nice to have some extra things to do (eg. build your own base) but (considering it would require teamwork) it is still not going to be possible if the only legit solution when confronting another (unknown) player is kill kill kill.

Even the TL;DR was tl;dr. Thread is a fail.

Good job douchebag. You are a stellar example of the exact thing OP was talking about.

If you can't be fucked reading the thread (or at the very least, the OP) you should probably avoid posting.

On Topic: I think having some form of friendly signal would be superb. Side channel, or even a localized global chat (within say, 2-3km) system would work nicely. I know it's not "realistic" but neither is being completely unable to speak or essentially, wave a white flag.

I find "bandits" part of the fun of the game and I wouldn't want to ruin some l33t l33t CoD kiddies fun... sure he might take down one or two of us, but our group has already shoved it right back up the asses of a few players making attack attempts. It's part of the thrill, and I wouldn't want to stop it ever. Personally I have only ever murdered one person in cold blood, and it was by accident... all other times it was self defense. Thing is, I will 99% of the time I'll know you're there before you'll know I'm there... this always gives a brilliant insight to a players behaviour and whether or not they should be trusted.

I support this thread, and like always... detest the 99% useless spamming idiots that comprise 99% of the internet. Oh internet, how do I love thee.

~Sol

Edited by Sol

I always have found the whole TL;DR concept odd, if you can't stand reading words wtf are you doing on a forum? I also think you left out one of the biggest reasons for 'Banditry', because people find it fun and entertaining to cause misery to others. Just look at NightRipper up there and you have a perfect example. I'm not going to go into the types of people who act like this, no need to start that flame war. Basically as long as people can, they will as long as they think they can get away with it.

I mean, just think how different the internet would be if all anonymity was taken away.

You are right, I agree with all you are saying!

I missed that one point, but still I find it is not a problem, nor does it need fixing. If people want to kill for fun, then so be it. They can play the game the way they like!

Lack of ways to build trust is a problem IMO, and THAT needs fixing!

Side chat removes some of the immersion in the game, so no thanks. You shouldn't have to check a little chat box to figure out if someone is talking to you or not.

Banditry in this game is actually for a no endgame yet, people have nothing to do and realize that killing will have some fun, most of em ARE COD KIDDIES because they cant live without action in a game, people can easily survive without killing someone, food is abundant yet, thats another excuse to hide your CoD soul. Yes, I hate COD players.

• Like 1

Side chat removes some of the immersion in the game, so no thanks. You shouldn't have to check a little chat box to figure out if someone is talking to you or not.

yes like in real life you should be able to hear/see their lips moving... but thats it its a game so you sometimes have to have a system thats as close as possible. pretty thoughtless reply

Banditry in this game is actually for a no endgame yet, people have nothing to do and realize that killing will have some fun, most of em ARE COD KIDDIES because they cant live without action in a game, people can easily survive without killing someone, food is abundant yet, thats another excuse to hide your CoD soul. Yes, I hate COD players.

meh i dont bandit at all agreed boredom strikes and can cause this but the cod kiddies shit is just stupid cod was a good game (a few of them anyway) just because you people think yourselves individualist and non conformers does not mean that everyone who played CoD canot cope with a game with no DMing/ action.

stop being elitist.

You forgot one bandit reason.... just a fucked up individual who enjoys the thought of someone snapping their keyboard when they snipe someone after 7-8 days of surviving?

some people just wanna watch the world burn XD those people=bandits....

tldr

fail thread, OP is a fag

[Warned - Ubi]

Edited by UbiquitousBadGuy

For me direct channel kills the immersiveness

And i don't think that KOS has a "cure". And in my opinion people kill because they want, not because they have to (i'll make a poll).

Or actually, to be more precise, ban the USE of word "bandit". There are no bandits in Day Z, only survivors and zombies.

Now that I have your attention, let's get on to the actual subject which is pretty much related to this "banditry" thing in Day Z. We all know some of us find "banditry" very annoying, and some even think it is "killing the game" and ruining it.

I personally find it thrilling, and don't consider it a problem at all, THIS IS NOT A CAREBEAR POST!

Lets have a closer look at banditry and what are the actual reasons for banditry.

1. some say banditry is caused by the lack of "end-game" activities.
  2. some think, bandits are all "CoD kiddies" who, as soon as they find an Enfield, go out to Cherno and start killing people mindlessly (also the reason: immaturity, not playing the game as it's supposed to be played)
  3. for some, banditry is a way to survive, they choose not to sneak into places and loot stuff, instead they murder fellow survivors for supplies.
  4. and then, last but not least, another reason for banditry is the lack of trust in this game.

There, we have a list of reasons for banditry, lets analyze them a bit.

-I think it's safe to say, we can strike through number one, since there are NO immortal survivors. Everyone dies in this game, even the most elite and high-geared players. Surviving is the only necessary activity needed in this game, you start by surviving, your mid game passes along surviving, and when you are getting those military-grade snipers, nvg's and stuff, what you actually do, is survive.

Some attempts end on the beach, some end to a desperate run through cherno, some at the NW airfield, some in a desperate attempt to scavenge food from a barn. My point is, that everyone DIES in this game. No need for extra "end-game" activities.

-Number two will be stroke through, simply because it is an offensive and an immature excuse to the lack of your OWN survival skills in this virtual world.

Someone smart once said something like "It just IS 100% your own fault when you die in Day Z" or something like that. Needless to go deeper in this one.

-Number three, well what can I say, it is just a way of how one chooses to play this awesome game. If someone has a problem with this, they need to understand that it is not wrong to choose a playstyle encouraged even by the devs.

Lets get to the final reason, in my opinion the "biggest" reason for banditry: the lack of trust between players, which causes a fair share of all the KoS moments.

Considering you play alone, how many times have you found yourself in a situation where it would not hurt you to have someone watching your six, where you could use an overwatch with the vision of a hawk, or just that someone to take out those zombies which have you pinned down?

From my experience, there has been NUMEROUS times, where a total stranger could have saved my ass in the brutal world of chernarus.

Then WHY do people rather kill the other player, than make contact with them and cooperate?

There is no trust. (Thank you captain obvious)

WHY is there no trust between players?

Because there is no actual and legit way to build/gain it!

Our ways of building trust include:

1. Direct chat
  2. Salute
  3. Lowering your weapon
  4. "jiggling?" (=hammering Q and E repeatedly)

All of these, are impractical and rather useless.

1. Direct chat (from my experience at least) doesn't ALWAYS work properly.
  2. Making your friendliness show through a salute makes you an easy target, since the other player must actually SEE you. In addition, you are not controlling your character while saluting (ie. you will not be able to defend yourself while your shooting hand is touching your forehead..) which increases the chances the other player will just shoot you instead of saluting back.
  3. Lowering your weapon is almost equal to number 2. It will only make you an easy target for the other player.
  4. Never tried to make contact using this method, it seems quite useless though, the laggy netcode would probably not show half of the twists to the other player, and while you were focused on making the jiggling correctly, the other guy would just simply shoot you as you were walking towards them.

Now we get to the actual point of this thread, and the actual suggestion:

Please bring side chat back to the game!

Why? (pros)

Well, it is, by far the BEST way to build trust in the game. I remember numerous times cooperating with total strangers by first chatting through side channel and then meeting up somewhere. After side channel was removed, I have met ZERO players who would have cooperated with me.

Everyone will kill on sight, because it is better to kill the other player than wake up at the beach again. At first I tried to cooperate, but after being shot a couple times, I realised it is worthless and will CERTAINLY lead to my own death.

Imagine the following situation:

You are in the apartment house in Berenzino. You see some player ~200 meters away from you. For some of us the solution jumps in right here: You pull the trigger.

Some let the situation go further, and as the player proceeds towards you, you start to wonder what to do, can I trust this guy?

Now the player is already in the stairs, you hear him coming up. You are not quite sure in what floor he is, so which one do you do: Point your gun at the door, ready to empty the magazine to the first creature that enters the room, OR start writing in direct channel: "Who is there, are you friendly"?

I'd choose the first option. Why? coz I don't want to die ofc!!

What if I start typing to him, and then as I'm writing that I have no bad intentions he pops in and puts a bullet in my head? I'm not gonna take that chance..

Imagine the same situation with side channel enabled! You can safely contact him when he is 200 meters away from you, you can ask him about what is he up to, and you have time to make your mind whether he is friendly or not. The decision does not have to be made in a quarter of a second, you can actually communicate with him! If you figure out he might be hostile, you can simply warn him not to enter. If you'd like to have that extra guy in your party, simply invite him in and see where it goes!

Another reason to bring side chat back:

As players start to communicate in game, THAT is how new and great ideas are born!

I doubt half of the players even have a forum account, what if they could discuss their ideas IN GAME with fellow players?

cons of this suggestion:

Well of course many are annoyed by the "shit talk" on side chat, but I guess that is bearable, and then we would get back to the question about language rules etc. but these are BEARABLE, since imho the amount of interesting and immersive player encounters would go up by about 10000%.

Some things to "inb4"

inb4 "not realistic": Well think about it, we are talking about a GAME, not real life. IMO it's totally fine for a game to have some "unrealistic" things and systems.

inb4 "bandits would use it as a trap": If you are st00ped enough to fall for a "Giving away free beanz in Cherno for EVERYONE", then you probably die alot even without the massive temptations side chat brings with it.

inb4 "teamspeak, skype, ventrilo etc...": This is probably the most retarded argument against side chat, side chat is for making contact to UNKNOWN people, not your friends. People you DON'T know won't just magically join your ventrilo server when you encounter them in Day Z!

TL;DR

If you don't bother reading the whole post, then please refrain from commenting for the sake of everyone.

Yes I know, the title might be(=IS) a little misleading, but that is just to gain attention and I find it acceptable since I put more effort and thought to this than I put on regular suggestion posts.

AND NO, I AM NOT A CAREBEAR! Actually my current character has committed 17 murders!

Thank you

if you actually read it this far. I appreciate all opinions, but hey, lets keep it civilized and mature.

No need to start ranting here since it's been done over and over again in these forums.

Now, I'm sure I forgot to mention something as I thought this through, but I will add more if they pop in my mind.

Thanks

- Capercaillie

If you are serious, let me say a few words for you.

Rocket would never let something like this happen. Second of all, NO. Even though i hate bandits.

Why not implement the "shout chat" so you can communicate with people farther than direct chat without bothering the whole server. (It's something that came to my head while reading the berezino mini-story)

• Like 1

For me direct channel kills the immersiveness

And i don't think that KOS has a "cure". And in my opinion people kill because they want, not because they have to (i'll make a poll).

Well, perhaps if there was a possibility to hide the chat so that it wouldn't "annoy" your gameplay?

I do kill because I have to. I cooperated a LOT with strangers back when we had side chat. I don't do that anymore, because I don't simply trust anyone!

Some will still KOS ofc,it doesn't have a "cure" that will take it all away, and it shouldn't!

But it will increase the cooperation, the teamwork and trust!

I don't have a problem with the KOS, I'd just like to experience some more teamwork with other player I DON'T know!

If you are serious, let me say a few words for you.

Rocket would never let something like this happen. Second of all, NO. Even though i hate bandits.

I am very serious with my post.

How do you know what Rocket thinks/does, unless you are Rocket yourself?

Second, please give me something more than just a "NO"

Why is that your opinion, are there some arguments behind it or is it just plain "NO" for the sake of "NO"?

Why not implement the "shout chat" so you can communicate with people farther than direct chat without bothering the whole server. (It's something that came to my head while reading the berezino mini-story)

Actually, I'm starting to feel this "shout chat" thing would be the best system, or atleast better than side chat!

I'm glad you could make something out of my OP!

thanks for your opinion!