Hendrix27

Seems that we turn into the things we set out to destroy.

When I started playing DayZ I was a friendly survivor who would lend a hand to those in need, and I had no intention of becoming a bandit and I was to an extent against them. Over a month later, I'm exactly what I despised...a player hunting bandit that kills whoever he sees and takes what he wants. Why? because I learned that being nice doesn't seem to matter as you probably just get shot in the back anyway. Has this or something similar happened to anybody else?

• Like 2

It's happening to the majority of players I believe.

Not everybody will turn to 100% killing machine though, but tell me this, when you see man stopping his bike near gas station to fill it up and you happen to be 50 meters away in a tree line with fully loaded Enfield (or better), will you not put a bullet into his back and steal his bike?

True story!

Btw few days ago I gave morphine to unknown survivor crawling around elektro and then gave beans & coke to some surivor I've found that passed out in one of the red houses on the outskirts of this town. It's easier to be nice to unarmed (or with axe at most) survivors,then to those armed to the teeth.

Until the zombies actually become the main threat/point in the game, players will keep killing players for easy/fast access to more shiny.

• Like 1

Your theory is exactly my thoughts. You read and see about DayZ and you think "Damn, this is a game I could play with some buddies" and it is. But don't try to pick random people up in-game.

I have personally picked up about 13-15 people on the forums without any issues yet, but we're still careful.

My 'clan' started out as a friendly group of people. We tried to make friendly contact a few times that ended with them dying because either they tried to shoot me or someone in my group. At this point, we kill just about anything that poses a threat.

I've done the exact opposite. I started out shooting whoever I saw and got bored with it. Now the greatest challenge is engineering ways to help people without getting killed by them seconds later.

• Like 4

The oppressed become the oppressors hence why the majority became douche bags...an eye for an eye and all that.

If i see some noob running around with his hatchet and patrol pack on i'll let him go. But if i see a well armed group or individual heading my way or holding something i want, i'll shoot them because i know they would do it to me.

If this happened IRL, we would establish communities and maybe even wear so find of uniform to identify friends... Until something like that is implemented, 99.9% of people will shoot on site.

Edited by Rek Seven

Hopefully in time when the mod changes and allows more creativity we will see people killing with more style and thought.

I myself am trying not to be a cold blooded killer but when I am faced with someone pointing a gun, its him or me.

I agree with all of you. KOS starting survivors is plain stupid. Yesterday i had a gunfight in the back of the supermarket in Cherno. Although we died it was fun because it was a leveled fight. From personal experience anyone with any type of gun is a direct threat, until they completely disappear from my whereabouts.

Edited by McLovinCR

Yes, but if they just disappear from your whereabouts, the threat is just postponed. No one follows a one way route. It's very easy to bump into them again soon after the encounter. Shoot when there is a chance to increase your survival odds.

• Like 1

I started out as a naive survivor thinking most people would be glad to meet up. After getting blasted in the face by several paranoid types, I avoided contact. Now I realize how KoS (for non-bandits) and isolationism is just boring and missing the potential that I originally saw in this game. I want excitement, I want tension... this doesn't come from shooting everyone I see. It comes from extending some measure of trust to some players.

So bandits, keep on doing your thing. But survivors, don't trade in your humanity for security. That's just like any other first person shooter.

• Like 2

Yes, but if they just disappear from your whereabouts, the threat is just postponed. No one follows a one way route. It's very easy to bump into them again soon after the encounter. Shoot when there is a chance to increase your survival odds.

Yeah but that that person might respawn and say "fuck this, i'm killing everyone i see." and then they see you and you die. Maybe that wouldn't of happened if you let him be...

I'm trying my best not to do this. I ran into a guy in Elektro the other day who gave up his shotgun and ammo for me as he saw that I was unarmed. I was amazed that this was happening, and I could just imagine that he was waiting for me to shoot him in the back. Instead I dropped 2 bags of blood for him and some morphine. I quickly walked the other way though. I was thankful for it, but didn't want to take any unnecessary chances with my virtual life.

I'm really trying my best to uphold the "Shoot only when shot at" motto. Last night I was on a bike cruising around the NE airfield and ran into a team that had a car. So I thought I'd have some fun with them. I did circles around the base as they looted. Then, they came after me. Thankfully I was being cautious and keeping my distance from them, because a few moments later I heard a shot close by. I figured they were after me. So I got on the bike and headed for a decent vantage point. Sadly, I never saw them again, but I definitely would have shot back had I been in a better spot. I'm sure they wanted to keep their car, and I'm sure they also saw the shiny DMR on my back.

Until the zombies actually become the main threat/point in the game, players will keep killing players for easy/fast access to more shiny.

This.

I usually find some nice guys in Cherno, believe it or not.

We have the same intentions, loot the supermarket, church, and hope for the best at the firestation.

But once I find a gun, I either: Kill him, or I go my separate ways because I have what I need to survive north.

Generally I'm not out for loot when I'm killing players. I guess you could liken my playstyle to the asshole at the bar looking for a fight. I run around Elektro/Cherno with a Lee Enfield and an M1911 and when I see somebody pointing a gun at me I shoot them and move on or get shot and die. It's a quick respawn though (not to say I die all the time, I have around an 8:1 KDR), and Enfields are everywhere. No reason to loot players when the best gun in the game is common =).

Edited by Huuwap

When i started out, i was trying to be friendly to every person i saw. Even helped a few, only to get shot in the back when i turned around. It became harder to trust people, and now that i have a char that i have played a week on, with most gear, i will not risk getting shot at because i thought too good of someone. (except for friends) If you see me, and have your gun aimed at me, i will shoot you. Otherwise, i'll leave people alone.

Its too bad i have almost become the player i hated when i started, but it seems you cant trust most people. Its a shame really.

i place tents on remote but open locations, fill them with the loot i don't need atm, and who ever gets there has some thing to drink and eat, maybe some ammo, i intend to do this more and more and keep this social tent structure working for the lost and lonely.

while i mostly run with a group who are more kill on sight and snipe types they do or at least some support my idea, in hopes to make a friendly server where the airfields and stary etc are kill or be killed and these tents are social pick nicks. not camper spots.

if i see strangers i fraps them and that is all the shooting i do until they fire upon me.

• Like 1

It would have been easier for Luke if he had chosen the dark side, but he didn't.

i place tents on remote but open locations, fill them with the loot i don't need atm, and who ever gets there has some thing to drink and eat, maybe some ammo, i intend to do this more and more and keep this social tent structure working for the lost and lonely.

while i mostly run with a group who are more kill on sight and snipe types they do or at least some support my idea, in hopes to make a friendly server where the airfields and stary etc are kill or be killed and these tents are social pick nicks. not camper spots.

if i see strangers i fraps them and that is all the shooting i do until they fire upon me.

Your tent idea? It looks like a trap no matter how well-natured your intentions are.

Your goodwill is masked in negativity and distrust!

How do you feel?

-MONSTER

I don't get it, why are there so many threads like this? You all need to make a public excuse why you kill players? It's a game, do whatever you want.

I agree that if the game was meant to be a "good samaritan" type of thing, although, it's not possible, there should be a way to make people think at least if they would kill another player. Make a murder draw zombies on you, no matter how far they are. I don't mind players killing each other, I was killed a couple of times also. But yeah, there should be a way to make people think before they act.

This reminds me of the walking dead episode in season 2 where that other group of survivors clashed with ricks small group. I started out as a person who would try to extend my hand out to anyone, but then I turned into sort of a bandit. I still don't shoot on sight. If I see a freshly spawned player and he needs help getting somewhere I'll help him to a certain point. But if you shoot at my group first then we will most definitely return fire. I do however kill players on sight who seem like a major threat. I don't shoot on sight but I watch and wait and see what kind of person this guy is. If he seems like a friendly player in need of help I'll pick off whatever is around him from a distance and move back into the forest. But if he is one of those CoD kiddies who shoots everything that moves you can guarantee that's his last moments in that life on dayz.