Sign in to follow this  
Szap

Player Base Building: The MCV

The Goal: Make it possible for players to create their own base anywhere* by using a "Mobile Construction Vehicle" (This name could be reserved by Command and Conquer...)

* (mostly anywhere - i would not allow bases built in or near citys)

The Idea: (Secure) Player bases would give this game a really exciting feature that would encourage team play and grouping and also bringing PvP to a whole new scale while battling for a clanbase

Introducing: The MCV

Its basically a transport Truck like the Ural (there are several versions of it in Arma the Ammo Transport could be used).

When found this truck had to be repaired like all other vehicles. Other statistics are: loud, slow on terrain, high fuel consumption.

This MCV could be driven anywhere* and there converted into the "blueprint" of a base. This would consume this MCV forever (and it could then respawn). The base would require building materials to set up then. There would be different "building stations" where you could fill in the right amount of building materials and then construct one feature of the Base. The Base would still resemble more of a "fortified field camp" with the "wreck" of the MCV in the middle.

Possible Base features:

- Watchtower with ladder (and maybe optional bulletproof glass so you could really watch the surroundings but not be shot (not shoot yourself either)

- Wire fencing around the base

- Big Storage Tent with lockers

- Concrete Walls around the base

- Closable Metal Gate (with a "lock and physical keys" as proposed in other Posts)

- Camouflage Nets

- Gun Tower with interactable M240

- Electrical Generator (requires Fuel)

- Lighting towers (requires electrical Power)

I am sure you can think of many more ideas.

I would introduce different building part types and use them for different "projects":

- Electrical building parts

- Mechanical BP

- Concrete

- Metal

I am not sure if this rather complex project can be achieved with arma 2... but perhaps for the comming standalone version it could be implemented.

• Like 5

If MCV is a bit too steep, how about using the existing industrial structures for constructing vehicles? I mean, if you find a factory and collect a huge load of parts (10+ scrap metal for example), how about if you could just create one single skoda that would be gone forever when destroyed (not respawning)?

As it is now, I think the game gets a *bit* boring when you reach the point where you have your basic equipment and a bag full of food and soda cans. The only interesting thing left to do really is go bandit, or PvP anyway. Once you are past the initial challenge of getting your gear and learning how to outrun zombies, I would personally like to have the option of working to build something (in goup or alone) as alternative to going PvP for the rest of the game. And once I (or we) got the car, why not go hunt some n00bs running around the beach, right? ;)

are u able to build a skoda out of 10 pieces of scrap metal? i sure as hell can't.

• Like 1

Why not make the parts simply quite big, and then the best way to transport it would be the Ural?

However, you have touched upon an important engine aspect, namely a center of the base inhibiting zombie spawn there... :)

well OP , I support this idea. It would be fairly neat, BUT this "base" would almost certainly have to have a destructable aspect to it. After x amount of damage (and depending on w/e base blueprint you go with is how much the X damage is) otherwise imagine a mass of bandits farming these things and blocking off entire cities by just surrounding it with these things. UGH. but yea, +1 to you good sir/madam

Thank you for your thoughts. I Agree there should be a destructive possibility in it. I would say it could be two possibility:

"apply enough damage to the main structure and ig goes boom"

and/ or: "sneak" into the Base and just light up the fuel reserves and the base goes boom.

would also synergize with many of the "natural attrition" ideas so that the base would lose "hitpoints" over days and had to be kept in shape

Play any Command and Conquer lately? And personally, I prefer the idea of loading up bits and pieces for base contruction in your vehicles or inventory, as opposed to the all in one vehicle. That way it's far game, not whoever finds it wins.

I kndna like the idea of taking vehicles back and incorporating them into a customized base. Would give a nice refreshing cycle of respawning vehicles. Not some transformer holiday home, but find a bus, take it back to base, split it in half and have it serve as two walls.

(obviously missing many details on mechanics and other items/vehicles)

Play any Command and Conquer lately? And personally, I prefer the idea of loading up bits and pieces for base contruction in your vehicles or inventory, as opposed to the all in one vehicle. That way it's far game, not whoever finds it wins.

Yep i happened to play CnC lately :D

The Up side of the MCV here is: If used it will be "destroyed" and able to respawn for other players to have a shot at building the Base.

the upside of the MCV is:

- it's ridiculously easy to build a 'base', both in terms of authenticity and in terms of reward/investment

the downside

- it's ridiculously easy to build a 'base', both in terms of authenticity and in terms of reward/investment

Most awesome idea ever suggested so far in the suggestion thread, this would really make me run all over the map, I mean really this would be worth visiting all towns over and over again for supplies and draw people to non-interested cities :D

However I would say no the truck part, I would prefer to start building my base from materials found.

Edited by n4zRuDiN

However I would say no the truck part

you should know that the base thing has been under discussion since this forum was two minutes old

take away the truck part and this isn't a suggestion: rocket has experimented with players building stuff: there'sa shedload of turrible consequences: current design goal is instancing bases separately from both the main map and any individual server, either underground or just far away

Undergound is not a bad thing either but i would like to have a "visible" Stronghold versus the environment that looks sort of "natural" with the szenario. So repurposing a truck to start a base then drawing some fencing around it und build from there sounds like something i would do.

*Sigh* Morons everywhere.

Do any of you lot ever read any of Rocket's posts? Base-building will be added in-game, bases will be underground and this isn't happening for quite a long time.

*Sigh* Morons everywhere.

Do any of you lot ever read any of Rocket's posts? Base-building will be added in-game, bases will be underground and this isn't happening for quite a long time.

As a matter of fact i do read all of Rockets Posts. Why shouldnt i suggest an Idea just because rocket plans to do something different in the far future? We could also just lock the whole suggestion forum...

I'd like a combination of the two, some kind of entrance area built out of car wrecks or some kind of mobile base vehicle and an underground area. Anyone who has watched "A boy and his dog" may know what I'm thinking of.

As a matter of fact i do read all of Rockets Posts. Why shouldnt i suggest an Idea just because rocket plans to do something different in the far future? We could also just lock the whole suggestion forum...

says the biggest moron of them all.

rocket has said numerous times that he looks on these threads for inspiration - yes there will be bases - he has said possibly underground - he has not said how this would be done

so if people want to tweak or change the idea why shouldn't they?

I like the idea but not that kind. If you could build stuff yourself, not some magic truck that could be better

Yep i happened to play CnC lately :D

The Up side of the MCV here is: If used it will be "destroyed" and able to respawn for other players to have a shot at building the Base.

But then think of it this way, what if someone just took it and hid it, never using it, or used it then took it again and hid it. See the issue here?

But then think of it this way, what if someone just took it and hid it, never using it, or used it then took it again and hid it. See the issue here?

Yep! Now i see your point. Perhaps there can be something done about this.

How about instead players are able to construct walls, gates and deer stands / guard towers etc.

That would allow for more customization. Maybe even make bigger tents with a storage box inside so you can't loot the contents unless you are inside the tent.

There are a lot of possibilities with that. Build your own russian krepost!

you can built a base from an old shack, vehicle or even tent, collect resources and store them in a lockable container only the owner can have access to. Then adverise so that players can trade/barter. You could even advertise your shop/missions on billboards in towns, etc.

If you are out hunting for more merchandise (leave "come back later note"), then visitors can leave a note that they passed and are in need for <place item here>

You could also have random NPC peddlers of ware that might be able to offer side missions for trinkets similar to Stalker.

What say you?

Edited by coder4crack