Isaacsalterego

A GODDAMN TRAIN

ADD A GODDAMN TRAIN

MAKE IT INVULNERABLE TO EVERYTHING BUT EXPLOSIVES

ANYONE CAN DRIVE IT. ANYONE CAN GET IN. ANYONE CAN STORE THINGS INSIDE IT. ANYONE CAN TAKE THINGS.

THINK OF THE PICK UPS. THINK OF THE STOPS. THINK OF THE ZOMBIE TRAILS BEHIND THE TRAIN.

EVEN ARMED TRAIN ROBBERIES OR THEFTS BY SHOOTING THE DRIVER.

I think it'd be pretty cool. Also bicycles still need to happen.

2 man hand car's would be good as well, would need point systems on the rail tracks though, maybe they could require parts for fixing to work?..

Yeah, and the other people all have big tanks that look like giant turtles that fire lightning balls from their nostrils! And we have power-ups and, and, and we are all invincible and it's great and everything.........................

You've gotta understand Isaac, that whilst a train like that in Red Dead Redemption will be cool, just what on earth would be powering it in a world without authority? Where's the power source? You can't even say it's a coal powered train because that would be a totally different sim altogether.. (MineZ anyone? :P)

I wonder if people ever think or use common sense before suggesting an idea.

Train needs power source, Zombie Apocalypse = Lacks of one

No one working at the power plant = No Power

No Power = No train

While it would be nice to hear a working train whistling in the mod, it makes completely no freaking sense as to how they would even exist during a Zombie Apocalypse, or why would anyone even consider in riding one especially how loud it would be.

Gasoline.

It works on Helicopters.

Yeah' date=' and the other people all have big tanks that look like giant turtles that fire lightning balls from their nostrils! And we have power-ups and, and, and we are all invincible and it's great and everything.........................

[/quote']

i don't see how this is like a train at all.

and the reason for the train being resistant to small arms fire is because otherwise trains would exist for two fifths of a second before being shot to hell. its also more realistic as a freight train would not explode after taking a few gunshots. Tanks in vanilla Arma 2 only take significant damage from heavy weapons after all.

i just want a public transport system. that won't be abused.

Public transportation doesnt exist in apocalyptic environments.

Hell Public transportation didnt exist in Haiti after the big earthquake, or in any areas that suffered infastructure loss.

If a train existed it could be coal powered and would take hundreds of bags of coal to operate.

Diesel locomotives rely on tiny amounts of diesel gas to generate massive amounts of electricity needed to move it along the track.

Tiny amounts of diesel, in comparison, really. This is a very possible suggestion. That is why trains are still used in 2010, despite trucks being quicker. They can move thousands of tons of material with a very small amount of diesel. Once a train gets going, it doesn't cost much to keep it moving.

Edit: I have no idea why I said 2010, when it is 2012.

In Egypt, they would burn mummies to power trains. Just throwing that out there.

I actually like the bicycle idea. How awesome would it be to hop on a sweet Huffy and ring the bell as you ride up and down the coast with a train of 200 zombies behind you.

A normal train is a bad idea

A handmade metal cart that rides on the tracks powered by gasoline is pretty cool.

But I train all the time. The way other players freeze when they see 20+ zombie behind you and you are charging right at them is priceless.

How about a hand car powered by two people that can fit maybe 4 if stamina ever is implemented then it will take stamina I think that with two people it can go a good solid speed maybe a little more then a bicycle when going down hill a bit harder going up hill? Just a idea.

Copy this link if you don't know what I speak of :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handcar

-Selethen

where the fuck do you people live that they still use coal to power trains, diesel electric technology has been around since 1935 and steam locomotives have barely been used since the 50s.

retarded trolls

Personally, I quite like the idea of a dynamic train in game. I'm just going to post some of my ideas of how that would work in my eyes.

idea A)

Steam Engine - Uses Water & Wood - I like this idea as there is plenty of both up and down the coast, it'd just take a couple of runs to restock at each station. But I don't think a steam engine really fits in with the setting. (Too old for a modern industrial setting.)

There would be an issue on how to turn the train around at end of line as it has a definite front and back, and would look silly going backwards when it reaches the end of the line.

idea B)

Handcar - Created with Wood and scrap metal and maybe a wheel - Also a neat little idea, requires 2 people to use, makes you thirsty and hungry over time. The problem with this one is, there is only one rail line. and if more than one "group" makes one, then what happens when they collide on the track? do they both get broken? or do they faze through each other? Either way, my feelings are "meh". Unless they can get destroyed by an oncoming train. Ala BTTF 3.

idea C)

Diesel Train - Uses 2(?) jerry cans of gas per engine (Two engines, one at front, other hitched at the back, goes up and down the line) + Toolbox (Repair solar panels, see below.)

The problem most people are having with this is "How can a train move without power if powerstation not working?"

My answer: Solar Panels on top of both engines, requires a toolbox to "fix" each panel.

Fixable Solar panels + Gasoline (For all intents and purposes it's diesel fuel) = Enough for my suspension of disbelief.

By using solar panels to explain it also works well with the DayZ's day/night cycle. eg: at night it requires more petrol to run as opposed to the day as solar panels wont work at night.

Other then that, the only problem a train faces without a powerstation is how to switch tracks. Which in my mind's eye I can see this done 3 ways:

1.) Restore power to main switching tower, control all switches along track, change the switchs to desired configuration before power goes off again. (Lame)

2.) Manually - Stopping the train & jumping out to go and interact with the switch. (Still pretty lame)

3.) Shooting the switch to change track while standing on moving track. (Badass)

The idea of being able to jump/scramble onto the train while it's moving, being able to run across the roof bandit style, to get from the back cars to the front and the ability to shoot switches to change the track appeals to me to no end.

Afterthoughts:

Add Bicycles & Horses

If train added then I'd also want to be able to pick up a train conductor skin (Balaklava over face). Because that would be neato.

I really like Badnik's ideas. When the key concepts of DayZ are working properly the dev's should definitely look into that.