Sign in to follow this  
Ajua

A seemingly ordinary day outside Stary Sobor

It must've been a little past noon, clear skies and a cool breeze. Perfect sniping conditions.

My group and myself had been stalking the inlands in a circular formation, starting from Stary Sobor and rotating around. Gradually, we became tired, irritable and exhausted- so we find ourselves taking a short break on the hills behind the electrical box at Stary Sobor, when suddenly:

"I've got eyes on a survivor- no, make that two." belows Jay down the microphone

"Do they look geared? Can someone confirm?" I instantenously reply.

"They've got an L85A2 AWS possibly."

This was all we needed to hear, the situation couldn't have been any better for us a three man team looking out for valuable targets to loot. But nothing is what it seems in DayZ and I forgot the rule I always apply to myself.

Always assume there's more than one survivor.

Eventually, we lose track of these two survivors as the fog edges in from the south, clouding my vision and potentially ruining my chance to apply a hot M24 round to their heads, Jay shouts at me to take the shot and calmly I reply that it wasn't an optimal chance. A few minutes later, Dark spots four more hostiles entering Stary Sobor via the steel barn.

"I've got three, no four hostiles- has anyone got eyes on?"

"No, I've got to relocate, give me a moment."

After a few seconds of shifting along the hills overlooking Stary Sobor and the Military camp, I find myself in prime position, aim steady and perfect sight on these survivors.

Jay immediately follows up with further information whilst edging down toward the camp.

"I've got a clear shot, are we taking this? Confirm."

"Not yet, I don't have a killing shot on these guys, wait for a sure kill."

"They're moving toward the last barn on the left, I can take them."

"I'm opening fire, Jay - lay down some fire, make sure you get the L85A2 AWS marksman. Dark, could you flank the left hand side of the hills and take out the two providing cover from the side of the camp."

What happened next, I couldn't establish. It was either a group of six, or two teams that had happened to go in at the same time, completely unaware of each others existence.

As I fired, I took out the two high order targets, figuring that Jay had managed to get the spotter - but alas, he had managed to take cover via the barn on the far right, shifting from the trees to the interior:

"I've got two murder kills, I repeat, two murder kills - they took a lot of bullets." I replied whilst laughing.

Jay follows up by killing the other survivor situated at the back of the camp, drilling a few M249 rounds in his general direction.

Suddenly, Dark belows over the microphone:

"I'm hit, I'm down, I'm down- they've got a girl survivor on the left hills - I'm not dead!"

The casualities pile up as Jay manages to take a few shots to the chest from a player who was hiding on the left of the third tent at the camp. I send him a nice letter of resignation in the form of an M24 bullet. Three murders.

I take a few moments to observe and assess the situation and the probability of success. I was confident in my ability to outmanuever the survivor on the hill and I did so, with mediocre success - applying a few M249 saw rounds to her face.

At this point, four murder kills gave me a huge boost of satisfaction and confidence, I felt as if I could roll into the NWAF and take on everyone.

Bad call.

As my confidence surged, I attempted to loot the bodies at the military camp, forgetting entirely about my code of conduct: always assume there are more survivors and always take time to assess the situation.

Whilst looting the body of the L85A2 gunner (it seems there were two) I get fired upon from the hillside.

Turns out, the flanker had been flanked.

The shots resounded in my head as I ducked for cover, the cubicles were close, I could feel the promise of escape.

It didn't come.

The shots pierced my legs and chest, violently crushing my dreams of survival and sending me spiralling down into an abyss of unconsciousness.

Harsh hot rounds rattled next to me and the last shot made sure.

Whoever we were up against that day, kudos for not disconnecting. Thanks for the firefight, although it was 3 on our side, vs a potential 6.

Edited by Ajua
  • Like 18

Bad call.

As my confidence surged, I attempted to loot the bodies at the military camp, forgetting entirely about my code of conduct: always assume there are more survivors and always take time to assess the situation.

Whilst looting the body of the L85A2 gunner (it seems there were two) I get fired upon from the hillside.

The shots resounded in my head as I ducked for cover, the cubicles were close, I could feel the promise of escape.

It didn't come.

The shots pierced my legs and chest, violently crushing my dreams of survival and sending me spiralling down into an abyss of unconsciousness.

Whoever we were up against that day, kudos for not disconnecting. Thanks for the firefight, although it was 3 on our side, vs a potential 6.

was this yesterday? i was near stary yest when i heard a HUGE battle going on by the military camp. deaths coming up all over the screen and lots of different weapons going off. by the time i had got into a viewing position on the NW hill it had gone silent. but counted like 4 dead bodies in the area, then this guy crawls out from the barn just south of the camp towards a dead survivor annnnnddd thts when i get my m24 out xD there was another dude in the barn 2 who i got like 5 mins later

Edited by mcBain_101

It must've been a little past noon, clear skies and a cool breeze. Perfect sniping conditions.

My group and myself had been stalking the inlands in a circular formation, starting from Stary Sobor and rotating around. Gradually, we became tired, irritable and exhausted- so we find ourselves taking a short break on the hills behind the electrical box at Stary Sobor, when suddenly:

"I've got eyes on a survivor- no, make that two." belows Jay down the microphone

"Do they look geared? Can someone confirm?" I instantenously reply.

"They've got an L85A2 AWS possibly."

This was all we needed to hear, the situation couldn't have been any better for us a three man team looking out for valuable targets to loot. But nothing is what it seems in DayZ and I forgot the rule I always apply to myself.

Always assume there's more than one survivor.

Eventually, we lose track of these two survivors as the fog edges in from the south, clouding my vision and potentially ruining my chance to apply a hot M24 round to their heads, Jay shouts at me to take the shot and calmly I reply that it wasn't an optimal chance. A few minutes later, Dark spots four more hostiles entering Stary Sobor via the steel barn.

"I've got three, no four hostiles- has anyone got eyes on?"

"No, I've got to relocate, give me a moment."

After a few seconds of shifting along the hills overlooking Stary Sobor and the Military camp, I find myself in prime position, aim steady and perfect sight on these survivors.

Jay immediately follows up with further information whilst edging down toward the camp.

"I've got a clear shot, are we taking this? Confirm."

"Not yet, I don't have a killing shot on these guys, wait for a sure kill."

"They're moving toward the last barn on the left, I can take them."

"I'm opening fire, Jay - lay down some fire, make sure you get the L85A2 AWS marksman. Dark, could you flank the left hand side of the hills and take out the two providing cover from the side of the camp."

What happened next, I couldn't establish. It was either a group of six, or two teams that had happened to go in at the same time, completely unaware of each others existence.

As I fired, I took out the two high order targets, figuring that Jay had managed to get the spotter - but alas, he had managed to take cover via the barn on the far right, shifting from the trees to the interior:

"I've got two murder kills, I repeat, two murder kills - they took a lot of bullets." I replied whilst laughing.

Jay follows up by killing the other survivor situated at the back of the camp, drilling a few M249 rounds in his general direction.

Suddenly, Dark belows over the microphone:

"I'm hit, I'm down, I'm down- they've got a girl survivor on the left hills - I'm not dead!"

The casualities pile up as Jay manages to take a few shots to the chest from a player who was hiding on the left of the third tent at the camp. I send him a nice letter of resignation in the form of an M24 bullet. Three murders.

I take a few moments to observe and assess the situation and the probability of success. I was confident in my ability to outmanuever the survivor on the hill and I did so, with mediocre success - applying a few M249 saw rounds to her face.

At this point, four murder kills gave me a huge boost of satisfaction and confidence, I felt as if I could roll into the NWAF and take on everyone.

Bad call.

It didn't come.

which server was this?

Excellent excellent story - well written!

Edited by Festral

Nothing annoys me more when I hear ppl talking like They're in the fucking army

I c hostiles

Or I have a murder I repeat I have a murder

Shut the fuck up its a game not the army

I c hostiles

And nothing annoys me more than reading a perfectly good forum topic and getting visually assaulted by bullshit posts like yours. If I ever find you in-game, im going to break your legs and feed you to a zombie, filth.

In regards to the OP, nice story.

Edited by Nihlathak
  • Like 4

I c hostiles

There is a reason for "army talk" besides sounding bad ass, its actually very informative and straight to the point. In a firefight, be that a real one or in a game, a lot of stuff is happening at the same time. You really don't have time for blossoming intricate soliloquy about what is happening in front of you.

So if people are playing in a team, its good to keep it short and to the point.

I c hostiles

MAYBE they just so happen to have been/are in the army in real life, so it's either a habit OR they happen to talk to each other that way because it is a way they all understand? Either way, fail troll good sir... fail troll indeed :)

I c hostiles

It's obvious you don't play Dayz or if you do you haven't gotten very far or don't play co-op.

The reason for the "army talk" is call outs, just like any other game if you ever played a game at high end you need good communication, using as little words and being as clear as possible is the goal, and is very effective. You should do some more research on the game before you criticize

I c hostiles

Seriously haha, effective communication is key in this game and I see a lot of the more succesful squads using some sort of military based code to be most effective on the battlefield...

• Like 1

I got a clear, concise view of the story as written as it was. All reports were given in understandable ways.

Liked it. Beans, sir.

Yeah this was outside Stary, you may have been quite lucky to arrive when you did- kudos if you managed to get all the good loot that was avaliable. This stuff tends to happen to us all the time, so maybe I'll write up the next adventure

Yeah this was outside Stary, you may have been quite lucky to arrive when you did- kudos if you managed to get all the good loot that was avaliable. This stuff tends to happen to us all the time, so maybe I'll write up the next adventure

this does happen to us far too often, especially in stary.

P.s. i am in the army, have been for a long time.

"I've got hostiles"

People who were completely not hostile until fired upon.

"I've got hostiles"

People who were completely not hostile until fired upon.

If they've got guns and they're at Stary Sobor shooting everything that moves, I think that's pretty damn hostile. Not really going to take any chances up North.

Great story and very well written. Sounds like it was one hell of a fight! Kudos to both sides for no d/c.

Great story,, it's kind of sad that you and the opposing team have to get kudos all around for not wimping out and disconnecting.