radosm

Suggestion for new city

I read a while ago that rocket is planning on making a new map for Dayz , or expanding the current one, and an idea popped into my head. Seeing as the infection has killed most of the people on this planet, why not have a city in which a nuclear reactor failed to function properly and melted, causing a radiation spill. This could allow all sorts of things.

Geiger counters will be needed if you want to survive in that city, making the game even more difficult.

Radiation suits might be needed to survive the most dangerous places.

Anti radiation medicine in case people get irradiated.

When I imagine the city in which the nuclear reactor melted down, I imagine a city with tones of apartment buildings that are really high and windowless and they could all be (or most of them) entered. This would allow a ton of sniping seeing as the city is huge and there are a lot of windows and you could always climb onto the rough and snipe from there, but it would also allow a lot of CQB in the same buildings, seeing as there are many rooms. This would make the game really harder especially for lone wolfs, seeing as they would have to use all their skill and intellect to survive in an encounter. Just imagine sniping from a building alone , when a group of 3 or 4 people enter your 5 story building. You have to use booby traps , all sorts of lights and misguiding tools in order to take the whole group down and actually survive . This would make the game harder , and in return, more fun

That city could hold one of the best loot in the game.

Also , the radiation could add new enemies. I am reminded of S.T.A.L.K.E.R Call of Pripyat, the infamous bloodsuckers. Whilst this might be stretching it I think it would be awesome to be running from a pack of bloodsuckers through an abandoned city.

*Also gas masks could be introduced .You would need a gas mask and an oxygen supply in order to survive some places. If hit in the face , there would be a chance of the glass on the gas mask breaking, causing you to start chocking , in which case you would have to run and quickly search for a new gas mask, or you would die.

What do you guys think ?

note* i previously posted this in general discussion and someone pointed out that i should not have posted it there. So i am correcting my mistake.

Edited by radosm
  • Like 7

I do like the idea of having more CQC like tightly packed hallways and streets and I think that an expansion for the map is a swell idea as well. However I believe that rocket doesn't want any other type of zombie e.g. 'special infected' but good idea none-the-less. :D

• Like 1

Bump lol.

Why not a map extension? Adding a massive city at the tip. Biggest there is. Then other stuff around it.

If you zoom out there is a small portion taken up but actual game. The rest is like a waste land. Full it I think. Bigger the better.

• Like 1

Bump lol.

Why not a map extension? Adding a massive city at the tip. Biggest there is. Then other stuff around it.

If you zoom out there is a small portion taken up but actual game. The rest is like a waste land. Full it I think. Bigger the better.

Yeah map expansion sound nice, i also wondered when i zoomed out the map - there is so much more space for potential areas :)

i completely agree and to add on rocket has wanted to add underground building and if done right would be really cool so if they make a new map or you could actually have a reason to go underground and that would be

a underground subway system that near the same size as the above ground map. it would start of being large deserted subway systems and tunnels and maybe for more room all the entrances and exits start at the height box and farther you do down more player created areas start to come into play( if you can even do something like that in the arma engine)

this could work really well in

allot

of good ways and it

wouldn't just feel like some feature thrown in

• Like 1

So, Metro 2033 + STALKER settings in DayZ?

Fuck yes. Especially with the danger of radiation, experimental labs, dark metro subways and abandoned nuclear facilities that actually require the flashlight instead of just turning up your gamma...

• Like 2

yeah this game would be look great with full inner urban environments not just building shells. although I dont think it has to be nuclear fallout themed.

imo just the whole decaying civilization is what would take place.

Edited by rasputina

Bump

I really like the idea of a large city, I think the game would be really fun in a large CQC environment. The subway system idea would be amazing if it could be done, I feel like that would make the game very very interesting.

• Like 1

However I believe that rocket doesn't want any other type of zombie e.g. 'special infected' but good idea none-the-less. :D

They dont have to be new Infected zombies. They could be humans but not zombies. Something like this :

post-44109-0-45901400-1343390282_thumb.j

post-44109-0-91122100-1343390296_thumb.j

So, Metro 2033 + STALKER settings in DayZ?

Fuck yes.

If they could make it as creepy and dangerous as Metro 2033 and STALKER, it would probably solve the so called ''Kill on sight'' problem, seeing as most people would be afraid of the npcs and they would pose more of a threat than just plain Zombies. + it would actually be very hard to survive in such an environment.

Care to elaborate ?

Nope. Not sure if troll, or just stupid.

It would definitely add more to the game and to the survival aspect. It'd be a bit like Metro 2033, or even S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Neat idea! :thumbsup: :beans:

Edit:

Oh wow, I didn't even notice someone mentioned these two games! :lol:

Edited by CerebralZombie

I would be leaning more towards a whole new area.

As in leave Chernarus and have an all new world for DayZ.

I have heard a lot of rumors about DayZ becoming a standalone bit of software based on the Arma engine rather then a mod.

With these rumors, I have heard more that there will be an entirely new map designed that will incorporate more what Rockets vision of what the game should be like.

I have a great suggestion for an area that would be really dynamic and interesting for a game like this.

NW Oregon/SW Washington.

I am not making this suggestion just because I live there or because its part of the US or anything along those lines.

The reason I suggest it is that this location is extremely dynamic. We have many different climates, many different kinds of landscape, and also a fantastic mix between very urban environments to very rural areas. For example, Portland a very modest urban city compared to Banks a very small town will not much around.

In the Pacific NW, particularly around like the Portland area, we have deserts, forests, mountains, plains, grass/farmlands, snow, rain, heat, warm, and cold all in one place. I think that is what will make it a fun dynamic area to host a cool game.

I should also say, dont copy it directly, although it would be cool, just use an area that is dynamic like this one is.

I had a suggestion of my own for a map which has a large city in the middle of it. This city should be 2-3 times the size of Elektro and Cherno put together. At the middle is a military base, not the only military spawn, but the most rewarding. Different parts of the city would have different zombie densities, but generally, it should be a certain death trap for anyone moving around noisily (hopefully there will be more melee options).

Battery powered power tools are required to access the base, the armory, and individual some weapon cabinets. The resulting noise would alert/aggro players and zombies, increasing the risk, the tension, the adrenaline, and the sense of reward.

I'd like to see a city that had malls, cinemas, food courts and shopping centres, and other enterable buildings (even with no loot, would be cool for zombies and shootouts)

This could tie in with the power plant, located however far away is normal?

Thoughts OP?

• Like 1

I would hate to see a central single city on the map.

Chernarus is already like that a bit (2 big cities right next to one another).

I think it would be better to have 3 or 4 larger cities with good loot dotted around the map.

Would also prefer if you didn't start in one of those big cities either.

I had a suggestion of my own for a map which has a large city in the middle of it. This city should be 2-3 times the size of Elektro and Cherno put together. At the middle is a military base, not the only military spawn, but the most rewarding. Different parts of the city would have different zombie densities, but generally, it should be a certain death trap for anyone moving around noisily (hopefully there will be more melee options).

Battery powered power tools are required to access the base, the armory, and individual some weapon cabinets. The resulting noise would alert/aggro players and zombies, increasing the risk, the tension, the adrenaline, and the sense of reward.

I'd like to see a city that had malls, cinemas, food courts and shopping centres, and other enterable buildings (even with no loot, would be cool for zombies and shootouts)

This could tie in with the power plant, located however far away is normal?

Thoughts OP?

I like the idea, although I believe the city would need to be even bigger, to add to the fear of getting killed at every corner. Also, adding secret government laboratories that are under the city would be cool. You would have to go through underground tunnels and seeing as there is no light it would be really freaky, and if they added some new monsters that live inside those tunnels, I would shit my pants :P

Would also prefer if you didn't start in one of those big cities either.

You would not spawn in the city because surviving in it without any gear would be nearly impossible. Thats what the radiation and toxic gas could do , they would essentially isolate the players with no gear from the players with the best gear. This would probably make most of the guys who are currently sniping Cherno and Electro move to this city seeing as most of the people who actually survive in there are very good geared players.

They are working on a map called "Chernarus Plus" which is pretty much the same, but with more enterable buildings (and other stuff maybe).