blackout14@live.com

Kicks by ping, and why its annoying

I have decent internet. I can watch videos in 1080p with some buffering.

The most annoying thing about DayZ is that most servers set their ping kick WAAAAY too low.

Before i continue, i would like to clarify/clear things up. I should be able to play on servers that i choose, no? As long as i follow general rules, it should not be a problem where i log in to, no?

Good. Because i perfer low-population servers (i.e 3-4 people). But see i live on the east coast of the US. Generally US servers are peaked out or mid-pop (10-20). So i usually go with DE, GB, FR, SE, RU, etc... servers. Ones generally with less people. However, since im connecting internationally, my ping is bound to go up, no? Generally on US servers i get about 50-100 ping average. However, on internation servers i average around 150-250. Since im playing in a low population server, it shouldnt really matter.

Onto my main argument, i get really agitated when i have decent ping (150) and get kicked because some server admin feels the need to cap it at 100. Thats asking a little too much, in my opinion. Not only does it limit the amount of people in your server, but it also annoys the crap out of international users.

I know everyone will be like"oh just go US" or " Get better internet". As with before, i should be able to choose servers and have liberty to play on them unless its a private server (which shouldnt really happen with DayZ).

I feel like there should be a minimum ping you can set it as so that more people could have access to a larger amount of servers. 200 is reasonable. I understand that "i should be happy i get to play it free" and i am. Im immensely thankful of the developer for making an amazing mod that soon will go standalone. THEN, i will pay. haha. But you see my point? I should have the liberty to be able to join servers without worrying that my decent ping wont get me kicked off because some hardcore admin thinks that having a sphincter-tight reign on what goes in and out of the server is going to make the game so much better.

Rant of the day, lol.

You agree?

• Like 6

but if 50 people with 200 pings joined a server it would melt, no? or at least make it unplayable.

If I had a server I would certainly set the maximum to 100.

Few years back 150-200 might have been decent but these days its like having a hamster powered internet connection.

• Like 3

I have seen some servers with only like 2 people in it. I get kicked for ping too high.

Seems like a new way of farming the server if admin is close to his host location.

Whats the point of playing on a "low-population servers (i.e 3-4 people)"? Scared of loosing your gear lol...

You agree?

No, when you join a server you receive an equal share of entitlement, IE join a 50 player server you receive 1/50th. If your 1/50th is ruining it for the other 49/50th then expect something to be done about it.

Edited by {SAS}Stalker
  • Like 6

no you shouldn't be able to join any old server you like, high pings don't just affect you but everyone else playing, show some consideration.

you rate 150 as a decent ping?

I regulary play on servers where I have between 16 and 30, i'll occasionally go higher but never more than 100.

Edited by ironman Tetsuo
  • Like 3

I've got a 60mbit line. and I still get 120 + ms on servers. people have to understand that your connection speed is not just down to your line. but the nodes between server and yourself, and other factors.

• Like 2

If your rust bucket of a PC / internet connection is giving you such a poor ping then you're not "entitled" to lag out a server for other people. 150ping should be the cap really. People running at 200+ ping and being all "i was kicked for my ping wtf?" need to sort it out.

Edited by itputsthelotion

Someone with a high ping degrades the experience for everyone else, so, uhm, no. Play on something closer to you. You can't expect all the other players to put up with lag and desyncs all because you want to play on low-pop international servers. That's highly inconsiderate.

• Like 1

I find that "loosing my gear" is the least of my worries. Less people means less chance of a hacker, and more the expeirence i want from DayZ (Which is what Rocket has been saying all along, that i should have my own playstyle).

My connection speed isnt terrible, i can easily stream HD content, its just it annoys me when a HUGE and VERY CAPABLE server is almost completely empty and still wont let me join, even though I would have virtually no effect on performance.

Your ability to stream HD content is pretty much irrelevant as far as a game server is concerned; your media player/OS buffers it so that you can stream it relatively well even on a poor connection. The issue is your geo location in respect to the servers you are trying to join. It doesn’t matter how amazing your connection is data transfer is governed by the laws of physics and even though its traveling at close to the speed of light each packet is still having to traverse half the globe and back if you are in the US trying to connect to Europe.

Its just a fact of the internet and its unlikely to ever change unless someone does something funky with entangled particles :P

Edited by {SAS}Stalker

Stop playing low pop servers and grow a pair. That's my advice. And 150 ping really isn't decent, at all.

"i can easily stream HD content, its just it annoys me when a HUGE and VERY CAPABLE server"

That's because the servers for the media you're watching are likely based in the same area as you. Streaming a video and playing on a over sea server are totally different.

Also stop ending your sentences with "no?", you seem like a pretentious twat, no?

Quoted from the Dayz readme:

"On top of that during tests the server has given high bandwidth to players with pings ranging from 10 to 300+ meaning anyone can play and not slow the server down or feel at a disadvantage."

I get kicked quite a bit because I have to use mobile broadband at the moment (no landline here).

Edited by Dr Cheese

Hoy,

Get your own server, saturate NA with servers, it should lead to more low pop servers. Or get your own server in europe if it's possible, with a ping limit of your wishing.

Altraum...

For years now I've played with friends in Australia in various different games and they are long time friends that I keep in touch with. Tried joining their servers tonight and having a ping of 153 is apparently way way way too much, irritated me. One of the things I find awesome about gaming is the international aspect of it. I agree wholeheartedly with the OP.

• Like 1

Well then, ask your friends to host a server for you so you can play without being kicked. You really can't blame people for wanting to provide their local players with a good experience by keeping out internationals.

Line speed has just about nothing to do with latency. Latency is entirely dependent on the route your data packets have to travel to get from your PC to the server. A server being halfway across the globe from you is obviously going to give you poor latencies. You having a high latency degrades the experience for everyone else on the server. Now how fair is that?

tl;dr, stop complaining that you should be allowed to be selfish by degrading the experience for others just because you want to play with friends or don't want to play on your own servers.

tl;dr, stop complaining that you should be allowed to be selfish by degrading the experience for others just because you want to play with friends or don't want to play on your own servers.

Yeah stop being selfish by wanting to enjoy the game with your friends! (Sarcasm)

• Like 1

No, when you join a server you receive an equal share of entitlement, IE join a 50 player server you receive 1/50th. If your 1/50th is ruining it for the other 49/50th then expect something to be done about it.

I don't understand, How does someone's ping affect the other 50 people? High ping affects only you. You said it yourself, Ping is the amount of time It takes for commands to reach from your computer to the server, explain to me how a 200ms delay affects everyone in a server.

• Like 2

Your friends arent the only people on that server.

/thread

Your friends arent the only people on that server.

/thread

You failed to read the OP....He stated he plays on super low pop servers ie. no way he would slow the server unless the server in question is in the Hindu Kush Mountians while he plays from east coast USA.

I will say this though having a ping of 150ms is small..Everyone who cry's that your ping is way to high well they must be new to Arma. Before DayZ good luck finding more than 10servers on your list that match under 150ping...Back then you were lucky to find 3 servers that were good ping then you had to worry about admin rules.....

What I notice when I jump on a none "max ping" server people will be all over the board 13-350 ping and the only lag I ever notice is from a "cheap" server or the Hive or a crap-patch. "my own opinion".

Side note when you get 4 guys with 15ping but 500bandwidth yeah INC lag..That I have noticed. The ping rating in game is all screwy and doesnt account for half of the real ping/bandwidth like one of the OP stated already. "Fact"

Been on servers with people around 1500ping but 150BW and the servers roll just fine. "Fact"

So long story short max cap for ping should be 220-250MAX or a bandwidth cap. If your server cant handle that then well buy a better one? I'm no server expert so my info is from personal IN-GAME 3000hours of vanilla ARMA....

P.S. Yes my e-net is faster than 150ms but thats besides the point. Yes 3000 hours of Arma already in my bank & ive been here since Flashpoint when most you the new guys were still in day care programs...

Edited by RyBo
  • Like 2

Your ability to stream HD content is pretty much irrelevant as far as a game server is concerned; your media player/OS buffers it so that you can stream it relatively well even on a poor connection. The issue is your geo location in respect to the servers you are trying to join. It doesn’t matter how amazing your connection is data transfer is governed by the laws of physics and even though its traveling at close to the speed of light each packet is still having to traverse half the globe and back if you are in the US trying to connect to Europe.

Its just a fact of the internet and its unlikely to ever change unless someone does something funky with entangled particles :P

^----He sums it right up...

^----He sums it right up...

My problem with low ping is that I want to play with my clan/comunity, most of which live on the West Coast of the US and Canada, while I live in the EU.

Finding a server none of us gets kicked of is a pretty tough job.

Sometimes it's a pain for me to play with my other friends in the US. I consider a ping of 180ms pretty reasonable, I have 8 - 13 hops no matter what server I connect to, I think kicks for anything under 200ms is unwarranted.