Sign in to follow this  
☣BioHaze☣

Convince me NOT to KoS

That Thunderdome stuff was hilarious. I must be playing on the wrong servers, stuff like that never happens to me. :(

I have reverted to KOS too. Too many times I trust someone and then get shot in the back. The only peeps I'm friendly with are the ones I meet on my Teamspeak server or the ones that have a mic. Most of them won't kill you...the rest can die. You just have to meet some people online and befriend them. Hit me up on my server US 1021 (smokie23 ingame), we can hunt some zombies. Also have a TS server we can use.

Thanks, next time I'm ready to roll with someone I will try to hit you up.

I did ride with a clan on a couple of missions one day. I had fun with them, but didn't join up.

I watched a few videos on YouTube before I started playing DayZ. KoS seemed to be the only way to survive the first hour. Now that I've killed 4-5 people on sight and died to many more KoS players I've realized it's just not worth it to act like a bandit. I try to avoid players at all cost and if I die, I just head back to trying to accomplish the goals I started before meeting my untimely demise.

I tried the "friendly" chat, but that doesn't work. People don't really care.

I guess the best answer to your question is there is no good answer. If your willing to die over and over in hopes of a good encounter, don't KoS. But if like most people, you just want the good loot and a car, KoS and you might get to do what you want quicker.

• Like 1

My policy is simple. If you have a firearm, I will shoot you before you shoot me. Anything less and I let you walk.

Well dayz is a pvp game. Its fun to group up but ultimately in the end all there is to do is either run around until you get into a gunfight or go looking for one. I ran around with a group of 5 of us yesterday for a few hours and it was fun. Didn't see anyone or get into any pvp but was still lots of fun, better then running around solo. Anyone wants to group up today hit me up on teamspeak or add me on steam "smokie_23".

My policy is simple. If you have a firearm, I will shoot you before you shoot me. Anything less and I let you walk.

What if I merely make every effort to avoid you, and I'm carrying a firearm?

Do you shoot because I might be planning to ambush you somehow?

Yesterday I spawned outside cherno and when I entered town I quickly found myself with 3 other players.

All around us there were at least 6 agro zombies, momentarily confused as to who to kung fu first.

One poor S.O.B. looked to be prone with no weapon, another had no weapon and was running about, a 3rd had a hatchet and beat a hasty retreat. I contemplated trying to kill off the zombies and assist the noobs but there was no immediate high ground or sufficient cover, and too many close quarters zeds for my winchester.

• Like 1

One of the reasons to not KoS is the fun you can get watching the other player freak out when you talk to him and maybe he'll even go friendly (and backstab you later ...)

Another one is that it's just not fun to be running around killing everyone :(

• Like 1

Talk with the survivors without them knowning where you are, I usually hide behind something and when they don't answer I leave or shoot (That's your choice)

• Like 1

One of the reasons to not KoS is the fun you can get watching the other player freak out when you talk to him and maybe he'll even go friendly (and backstab you later ...)

Another one is that it's just not fun to be running around killing everyone :(

This can be fun but then if they are hunting players they just say they are friendly so you come out of hiding and then shoot you. Either way its all fun and games until someone gets a bullet in the back.

I've heard you guys over and over emphasizing that Mic is the way to go, I have a mac so that's no problem; My issue is that I've played a total of 15-20 hours and have respawned of course countless times, half due to being murdered and half just alpha glitches (which are to be expected) but I have yet to hear a single person say anything. Granted I've not been awesome about using the mic, I usually try the direct chat but never ever ever hear back- I know my Mic is working and I'm positive my sound is working.. Am I doing something wrong?

And I agree, that bus kidnapping was probably one of the funniest and most awesome things I've ever seen ^_^ I've rarely ever cared about watching game videos, period; but DayZ vids are like crack, I watch them at work laughing my ass off at peoples adventures and mishaps- it reminds me that people can be great

I just hope that video wasn't scripted.

Still awesome though. :)

• Like 1

I've heard you guys over and over emphasizing that Mic is the way to go, I have a mac so that's no problem; My issue is that I've played a total of 15-20 hours and have respawned of course countless times, half due to being murdered and half just alpha glitches (which are to be expected) but I have yet to hear a single person say anything. Granted I've not been awesome about using the mic, I usually try the direct chat but never ever ever hear back- I know my Mic is working and I'm positive my sound is working.. Am I doing something wrong?

You are correct. Most people don't use the mic, simply because most others don't use the mic. Self-fulfilling I think. If more people used the mic, then more people would use the mic just because more ppl are using the mic.... make sense?

Anyway, how do you know your mic is working? The only way you can know is you have been in game with someone else and they responded to your questions.

Don't bother with direct chat (typing).... if you see someone, and they see you, you will probably die before you can type your first sentence. I died several times like this. Don't even bother, it's suicide.

You can't be naive. You must still get the drop on people if they are armed. Get behind them, sneak up on them, stay hidden and/or behind cover. Try to judge their intentions by what they sound like, how they respond. If they try to role play some character, they're probably going to off you. If they sound young and/or immature, beware. It's not impossible to judge intentions by someones voice and use of words.

• Like 1

This is how I think about it:

This games base idea is survival. To do so, you need to develop your gameplay style to stay alive as long as possible. Some people feel that lone-wolfing is less risky than teaming up. Other seek the aid of groups, squads or small militias(lol). To survive in the current games state, I feel that you must kill on sight because others have developed the same mindset. Go watch the movie 'Mad Max' - this IS DayZ in it's most early state.

It doesn't matter how your mindset develops or how you play, because others will disagree with you on different levels. This is good, obviously, but you shouldn't ask others to convince you to do anything. You're your own person, and killing on sight is considered the best way for YOU to survive. Others have different ideas, but this is a survival game, and you play it how you think you should.

• Like 1

Generally speaking I have a live and let live policy. You leave me alone, I'll leave you alone. You say "friendly" and I'll believe you until you prove otherwise. If you need help with supplies and I have them, I'll help you.

But if you try to kill me, whether its on sight or with my back turned and you fail? You'd best be able to run your little ass real quick because my 249 likes chewing on and spitting out bandits.

• Like 1

True, I don't disagree. Shooting on site is currently the best way to survive, assuming the other person has seen you as well, but you have already failed to make safe contact. If they have not seen you, then avoiding detection may be the best way.

However, if you don't treat survival as your #1 priority, and instead treat the experience as your #1 priority, you won't be tempted to alt+f4, ammo reload glitch, server hop, etc.... Plus you have the chance to have these GENUINE experiences like the bus video above. And, for me, that is the most rewarding way to play. I mean, I could get a knife, matches, and hatchet and go live in seclusion indefinitely.... that would be treating survival as #1. But it's just not fun and it's currently not a challenge. I would much rather have some interaction with other players that goes beyond shooting bullets at each other. And with caution and use of a mic, I have successfully made that happen in my first few attempts at this new experiment.

• Like 1

Ok cool, and you're right I haven't actually had anyone respond to let me know that my mic is indeed working- I'll get on tonight and make it a point to get in a more crowded server and see what I can find.

I definitely dig the idea of playing it low-key until you get a response from someone I see before running up and trying to do the customary "Hey I'm friendly cause I'm teabagging" technique ^_^

Thanks for the response, at least I have hope of finding helpful survivors now!!

I have to say, the Day Z community has been super helpful and fantastically awesome.