Sign in to follow this  
☣BioHaze☣

Convince me NOT to KoS

After reverting to KoS out of frustration I recently decided that I should try to uphold how I thought the game should be played.

Also, I hear stories about how friendlies can meet randomly and run together and part ways without incident.

My latest approach is basically to run away from fire fights hoping the other player might declare "friendly" or simply avoid conflict all together.

The last 5 players I have run into have shot me without provocation.

My last death, I was simply trying to leave town when I came upon a guy lying prone.

I had every opportunity to kill this asshole long before he got a bead on me but instead I gave him a wide birth, only to be shot in the back.

Unless I have pre-confirmed you are friendly outside of the game, I am going to put a bullet in your head if I can.

I AM NOT A BANDIT.

But the worst of you force my hand.

:|

Too many of these threads already, so instead of convincing you to do anything, im just gonna say this.

OH LOOK, its this thread again.

Too many of these threads already, so instead of convincing you to do anything, im just gonna say this.

OH LOOK, its this thread again.

Meh, at least it's not a bitchy whiney 12 year old thread, whatever.

Let people justify there ways of playing.

Yeah. Because there is no way to communicate outside of that OHSHI- moment, everything hits the fan. You may as well shoot on sight to protect yourself until side channel gets enabled again. You could always find a server with side channel enabled, I suppose. Those are few and far between though.

Just keep doing it until they find a way to make things better (if they change it someday).

Everyone is doing it, you will suffer if you don't. Sad but true, bro.

Just keep doing it until they find a way to make things better (if they change it someday).

Everyone is doing it, you will suffer if you don't. Sad but true, bro.

Yeah man, it's just not "in my nature" I guess.

And yes, this is definitely another rant thread on an old subject, but I just want it to be known that I would not play this way if I had any other choice. If you see my tag shooting at you, it's not because I really want to.

It would suck if I end up with a character labelled as a bandit because I murdered out of necessity.

Sorry, but I don't KoS. If someone takes pot shots at me, I'll retreat and try to open a dialogue, then leave the area. If they are trying to bandit/hunt me, it's self defense time. Most people, even bandits trying to lure you, will respond to parley if the bullets aren't already flying heavy. In the final equation it all depends on how you treat each potential encounter. Close off all possibility of a friendly exchange and it really does become 100% hostile for you.

Also:

Never turn your back on a threat.

• Like 1

If you have spare bandages and a revolver, you could sneak up behind someone and pop them in the back with a revolver. After they are unconscious, quickly bandage them and then drag them around with you wherever you go, I'm pretty sure when they wake up they can aim (Not in your general direction) so zombies won't be an issue.[EDIT for spelling]

Edited by qweasd170
  • Like 3

Sorry, but I don't KoS. If someone takes pot shots at me, I'll retreat and try to open a dialogue, then leave the area. If they are trying to bandit/hunt me, it's self defense time. Most people, even bandits trying to lure you, will respond to parley if the bullets aren't already flying heavy. In the final equation it all depends on how you treat each potential encounter. Close off all possibility of a friendly exchange and it really does become 100% hostile for you.

Also:

Never turn your back on a threat.

I think in all my encounters with other players the most positive experience has been when people went separate ways.

I would be really happy to simply have an exchange that didn't involve gunfire.

Finding safe ground to open a dialogue can be impossible.

Stopping to type "friendly" has cost me my life too many times.

If I get the drop on someone I need to kill them just to insure safe passage.

I think in all my encounters with other players the most positive experience has been when people went separate ways.

I would be really happy to simply have an exchange that didn't involve gunfire.

Finding safe ground to open a dialogue can be impossible.

Stopping to type "friendly" has cost me my life too many times.

If I get the drop on someone I need to kill them just to insure safe passage.

Your problems can be remedied with simple logic.

Get a microphone so you don't have to type.

If there is no cover to hide behind while you're determining if someone is friendly or not, avoid the situation entirely (either by killing or retreating).

Also, in regards to your comment about hearing stories of friendly encounters; after all the times you were shot on sight, did you honestly believe after hearing these things that the players would suddenly change to show this side of things? The reason why threads involving stories like that aren't spamming the forums is because they don't happen often. The only way to find one of these people is to get lucky or organise it beforehand - don't expect it.

-MONSTER

Edited by M O N S T E R
  • Like 1

finding rare gems among a sea of frustration is, what makes it so rewarding. this is both true for that sweet military loot and for the great friendly encounter. dont give in to frustration.

In the end, i rather die once more than killing potential friendlies on sight and thus contributing to the general distrust.

It would be sweet to have no teamkill servers to completely avoid the possibility of being alive for 5 hours collecting stuff to just get ran over by the guy you let have the dirtbike you could have easily stolen. I can respect the realism but I'd also love to be able to enjoy the awesomeness of dayz without having to constantly be reminded that people are douchebags when given a choice between cooperation or shooting someone in the back who could have just as easily hung out and helped you out.

• Like 1

Yep same old story, when i first started playing, i was like all the noobs with their declaration of "friendly," only to be shot 2 seconds later. Its getting a bit old tbh

Edited by dougie12345
  • Like 1

My reason for not KOS is because every once in awhile something ridiculously amazing happens.

Come on brah, would you seriously want to miss an opportunity like this:

??

Or this:

??

If those two videos aren't enough to convince you then I dunno man. I don't think we can be friends.

• Like 5

I have a TS server that I play on. We are just a bunch of guys that cruise around and have a bit of fun, nothing serious. I have been in plenty of buses and other vehicles with them, and looking at those vids above... i wouldn't particularly enjoy being made to drop my weapons and made to fight in an arena.

Edited by dougie12345
  • Like 1

[...] I would not play this way if I had any other choice.[...]

That's just not true. You always have the choice how to play this game. So you got tired of trying to befriend people who ended up shooting you - that does not take away your choice to try it again next time. It's this very thought that turned this situation into a vicious circle. You don't care anymore and shoot on sight, killing a friendly who in turn starts to shoot on sight as well. Sure, it sucks to get killed after hours of gearing up but I rather die once more than ruining another's playing experience.

• Like 3

It really is just luck, but heres a good way to improve your chances!

1. Firstly as said earlier, get a mic.Talk to people, they are more likely to be friendly if they are speaking to you. If they are armed AND do not have a mic then assume they are hostile.

2. Play some regular arma multiplayer damnit!!! Get your arse on a co-op server and meet people! Arma has a FANTASTIC community, and you might be able to find some new mates to play DayZ with.

I have used both to great effect, and have a small clan of my own.

• Like 1

Depends on if you want to experience anything other than drawn-out deathmatch.

I've been involved in many situations I would never have experienced if I had just shot the target as soon as I saw it. KoS players experience the same thing over and over and it's not even the best kind of PvP, there are many other games that give you more bang per buck-(shot) out there. Yes with a more passive playstyle you will die plenty of times for needless reasons (welcome to the other side of KoS!) but for every 9 deaths you'll come across 1 amazing interaction that couldn't have been possible in any other game and those are the moments I play for.

It's worth noting that I don't mind dying. When I go down it sucks and I rage but then 5 minutes later I'm back on the beach starting a new story and to be honest, the first 2 hours of a new life are always the most exciting.

Edited by ironman Tetsuo
  • Like 3

I'm relatively new to DayZ, and decided to adopt a friendly/survivor approach, so far it has worked out for me. Last night I had my first really successful run in a 2-man team with a buddy. We were able to talk our way out of 3 different encounters with other survivors, 2 of which we were outnumbered, and 1 with an actual bandit.

Generally I just try and get away as quietly as possible if I see another player, but if it's impossible, so far the shouting "friendly" approach has seemed to work, especially if you offer some advice with it. All of the encounters I got into would have ended most certainly in death if I had gone KoS (though I understand for some people that is "fun").

• Like 1

Yes, get a mic. I finally got mine working and after dying recently, started a new character and I'm going to be cautiously good to people, particularly new spawns. But don't be naive and run up in front of people. You must still sneak up on them, see them before they see you. In-game voice is not directional so you can still stay hidden while attempting communication, which is important if they are armed.

If people can hear your they seem to be much less likely to shoot on site. If they don't talk or chat back, then consider them hostile.... either shoot or retreat. If they talk back and act strange, maybe you shouldn't trust them.

Use a mic and be good to others, and I believe it will spread, curing much of the paranoid shoot on site behaviour.

Btw, that bus video is AWSOME.

• Like 1

I love how popular reasoning seems to be that since I typed "friendly?" and didn't speak it into a microphone, it meant I should be killed.

I have a mic, thanks. But I didn't want to have it on all the time.

I did not buy Arma to play Arma, I in fact bought it for DayZ. I have little interest in Arma style missions.

I'm also in no hurry to join a clan, and would like random day by day team ups much more. I know I'm not quite good enough to last too long as a lone wolf right now, but I still have fun and keep learning. I have an RL friend who bought CO but hasn't had a chance to install yet. Maybe after playing with him for awhile we can go looking for a clan or something.

I put my mic on.... "don't shoot!".

I'm trying hard to hold onto a shred of humanity....

I have reverted to KOS too. Too many times I trust someone and then get shot in the back. The only peeps I'm friendly with are the ones I meet on my Teamspeak server or the ones that have a mic. Most of them won't kill you...the rest can die. You just have to meet some people online and befriend them. Hit me up on my server US 1021 (smokie23 ingame), we can hunt some zombies. Also have a TS server we can use.

• Like 1

Yeah a mic is great but its pathetic I cant for one second look away from a kid who urges me not to shoot only to find him trying to poke around a corner playing sneaky douche to get what? my alice pack? His failed ambush wasnt the first incidence of this happening in the past few weeks. we had the same primary weapon and similar gear. You cant trust anyone unless youve arranged playing outside of or knew them prior to game. Only two incidents, each where I saved an unarmed guy running from zeds ended with a positive note, they obliged my request for a transfusion.