Sign in to follow this  
kurozael

You need to be able to "lose" zombies...

Hours and hours of hard work can be all for nothing when just ONE zombie chases you and you have no ammo. It's impossible to escape them unless you kill them and I find this to be a major flaw.

There needs to be a way to lose zombies that are chasing you. Currently you can run for as long as you like and they'll just keep chasing you, through water, up ladders, anything.

Thank you.

Personally would like to see a melee option. not sure if arma2 supports this itself though, but being able to hit zombies with your gun or hunting knife is realistic and would be a nice addition.

I managed to loose about 10 of them by running uphill through a thick patch of trees (some woods/forest). You can loose them, but it's hard to put enough distance between you and them unless there's adequate cover to slow their progress.

There is a loooong timeout until they give up looking for you. If it was reduced it would resolve a lot of weird behaviour.

You have to break line of sight and not make noise. AIs will try to predic your movement, from where they lost sight of you and which direction you where last seen moving in. It's hard to create distance with out creating noise.

Find ways to get them to get stuck or slowed down. I understood several ladders can work, but I did not test this myself. But like Renegade says, trees work, also running through buildings slows them down, valuting over largers fenses. By running through a small town you should be able to lose a few zeds, or at least slow then enough to pick up ammo when you find it and reload.

Another thing is hoping to find friendly survivors!

I appreciate that there are very awkward ways of losing zombies, but what I'm asking for is either some kind of melee function or for the zombies to give up after a much smaller distance.

zombies run faster then players too btw, this makes no sense in the first place :P

zombies run faster then players too btw' date=' this makes no sense in the first place :P

[/quote']

Hey now.. don't get rocket in here he's already had to explain this before.

I think zombies should be slower than a fresh player but faster than a wounded/exhausted one. Then at least there would be some resolution to the chase instead of being able to run across the entire map until you die of dehydration.

I appreciate that there are very awkward ways of losing zombies' date=' but what I'm asking for is either some kind of melee function or for the zombies to give up after a much smaller distance.

[/quote']

I am aware you want to let this be known, I'm just giving you the options you can use in the meantime.

An idea could be to add stuff that distracts zombies. Like if you remember where you last saw a dead body, then you could run past it and the zombies would be more pleased with a downed meal, instead of keep pursuing.

Right now you can't throw or drop a lit flare, if you don't already have it out, so making zombies chase a flare would require you to stop and then you're pretty much dead.

Raw meat dropped from killing animals? Could that be a distraction?

Right now my only successful escape was through a small crack in a wall, but they still crawled after me. Luckily there was a ladder close by so I climbed, but DEAD zombies know how to crawl ladders aswell, so that's also a no go, since there's no kick function, which to kick them down from the ladder with.

I would prefer that atleast :)

I think that the neverending zombies encourages players to work together, and use tactics such as 'tanking' where one player will take all the aggro, and the other will throw a flare or smoke grenade in order to distract the zombies. Also, you need more than one person to take down a zombie horde, which also encourages teamwork.

I think that the neverending zombies encourages players to work together' date=' and use tactics such as 'tanking' where one player will take all the aggro, and the other will throw a flare or smoke grenade in order to distract the zombies. Also, you need more than one person to take down a zombie horde, which also encourages teamwork.

[/quote']

Of course that makes sense, but you've got no chance being alone. Not even against a few of them. They'll follow you, until they get you or you get them. Which you can't without ammo.

I'm unsure about this one, considering how Zombies are suppose to be dead so they don't have any nerves telling them to stop or slow down, or to become tired.

Then again, I love going town to town luring 100 zombies around me and building up an army of Zombies just so I can bring them to Elecktro and have them kill every bandits on sight. Sometime I even feel like a hero for doing so.

I do agree with the fact that Zombies shouldn't be able to climb up staircase, or be able to swim. I mean, that's just "too" intelligent for a creature that is suppose to be dumb and dead.

I couldn't agree more with this point!

In my opinion the player needs to move slightly faster than the zombies so that in a straight out sprint for your life you can gradually make ground between yourself and the horde.

I also think that the zombies moving in more of a lumbering run would be better than a full on sprint, not only mechanically but also visually.

Being the brain dead, uncoordinated things that they are, they could also occasionally stumble and fall affording you some valuable seconds to escape.

and once putting enough distance between yourself and the zeds they need to give up.

On a side note it would be great to be able light a flare straight into your hand (rather than throw it and pick it up) while running. so when being chased at night through the woods you would at least have a chance of seeing what your up against, and turning to shoot them down.

That is all. :)

There are melee animations... kind of.

Anyone who has played the other RPG mods (Chenarus Life, etc) know, the cops can use a melee strike to stun someone.

I'm sure it is a very simple implementation to have us use our pistols to strike at the zombies

In my opinion the player needs to move slightly faster than the zombies so that in a straight out sprint for your life you can gradually make ground between yourself and the horde.

This^^

agreed with the OP.

And melee is possible (I44 Bayonet)

just make them much, much more responsive to flares on the ground, they should become mesmerised by them completely & forget to chase humans - specially given how fast they respawn, it's a nightmare trying to scavenge for essential items given the rate as it is..

I'm unsure about this one' date=' considering how Zombies are suppose to be dead so they don't have any nerves telling them to stop or slow down, or to become tired.

Then again, I love going town to town luring 100 zombies around me and building up an army of Zombies just so I can bring them to Elecktro and have them kill every bandits on sight. Sometime I even feel like a hero for doing so.

I do agree with the fact that Zombies shouldn't be able to climb up staircase, or be able to swim. I mean, that's just "too" intelligent for a creature that is suppose to be dumb and dead.

[/quote']

The matter of the fact is some of these things, if observed, struggle to walk as it is and some have no effective legs (crawling). How they can then stick up their backs and break into a full on sprint and dash isn't expected of them. It is also apparant these zombies feel pain as they grunt when you cause damage so they have nerves in place and after long periods of running should begin to feel their legs cramp up :v

I think you should be able to use your hunting knife, a machette and or a club or a pipe to strike the zombies in the head.. you should take a great deal of damage going on on one with them but you should be able too defend yourself when you run out of ammo. Belive me if my gun ran out of ammo and I had a zombie after me I would be swinging all kinds of things towards his face.

I also think you should have a clear evasion tactic that works.

or a stun feature that would give you just a slight bit of distance so you could get out of his line of sightand crouch to hopefully fool the zombie. No movement no sound= zombie clueless to where you are no matter how close he is to you. Zombies can't "smell you."

I think there should be a way to hide or something. Once they are targeted on you it seems they know where you are even if they can't see you. It's the same idea when they hear a gunshot, how do the know EXACTLY where you are? It seems like there should be an intermediary "aware/suspicious" state where they know someone is close and they start searching, but don't run in that crazy bee line straight at your face since they don't know your exact location until they actually sense you directly. Same thing should happen if they lose sight of you and you take cover, they should enter that state and start looking for you not being sure where you are exactly. Now as it is they run straight for you. With the way things work now, all you have to do is run in a building so they slow to a walk, sometime they kind of bug out and can't even figure out how to get into the barn/warehouse or whatever. It's goofy that you can be fine in the barn, and they either are walking slowly inside or outside not being able to figure out to get in, but even if you try to sneak out a back door they automatically sprint straight for you.