Sign in to follow this  
DJKhaled

For the millionth time magazines are NOT clips!

I'm into my firearms, I own a few (too many if you ask my wife :P). It does irk my slightly when people call what is a magazine a clip. However gotten so used to it these days 99% of the time I let it slide. Only gun I have that takes (stripper) clips is a No4 Lee Enfield, this gun has a 10 round detachable magazine but most people, including myself, just leave the mag in the gun and reload it using the stripper clips (which only hold 5 rounds so the game is a little off there :P).

on a side note: Ruger 10/22 is an excellent little gun, highly recommended!

I blame Resident Evil for my misuse of firearm terminology. That's where I learned the word clip and it was applied to a Beretta mag. Am i right?

Being a firearm enthusiast in real life, I often cring when reading some of the storys on these boards. "I only had 2 clips left for my AK", "The firehouse only had tin cans and 1 clip for my pistol"... So for my sanity and to hopfully educate some people that may actually care what the hell they are talking about, here is a quick primer on clips vs mags.

A magazine is used to feed a weapon itself whereas a clip is used to feed a magazine. Clips do make loading of magazines easier and faster. There are even cases that a clip is required in order for a magazine to work (hello M1 Garand). Some magazines are removable, some are a fixed magazine.

Clip_vs_mag1.jpg

Thank you for reading. Please apply this new found information when speaking about ammo!

Peace, love and puppies,

Ods

think you just saw iraqveteran666's video,now adays everyone who plays a video game is a 'fire arm enthusiest' better start naming your bragging rights, ->yugo ak47 , yugo SKS , Thomson 40th annervrsy eddition, Sterling MK5, old winchester 20 pump, yugo Makarov, Ru Tokarev, 3 MosinNagants 91/30's, 2 ruger 10/22 , Grandfathers Marine M1911.Hi-point 9mm.

I see this shit all the time.

A magazine, by definition, is a chamber for holding a supply of cartridges to be fed automatically.

This is the thing that you load into your weapon. You fire half a magazine, not half a round.

A round is the ammunition you are using. ONE SINGLE BULLET. You cannot fire half a round at a zombie, shoot 3/4 of your round at a zombie, but you can fire all your rounds at them (Provided you know what your saying.

A clip is similar to a magazine, however they load from the top - unlike a mag which is from the bottom. Think M1. Both hold rounds, however.

These are possibly wrong, but are how I've known them and I'm quite sure it's right. Correct me please, if I'm wrong.

Just wanted to clear these up for all the people I see posting using the wrong words, annoys me.

Hopefully this helps. Might add more words if I see more being misused ha.

• Like 1

I just unloaded half a round into some poor souls face.

Edited by tomtom2234
  • Like 1

Bumping is frowned upon. I use all the words interchangably myself but good to know anyway. So I'm guessing the only weapons that use 'clips' are the enfield? And what do we call the shotgun ammo?

Droppin' Uzi clips in da haterz by da city. No 1 mess with da crew.

Mah boi Denzel shot off a round into da xbox mayne. Shit wasn't under warranty bro.

Me n mah crew was doin a deal that went south, ya feel me? I had to unload dat magazine into dis guy. Tryin to take my cashflow? da fuk?

I just unloaded half a round into some poor souls face.

You removed half around from the chamber of your gun without firing it while someone help their face in close proximity to the bolt's opening?

OP, a friendly word. You can't fix stupid. It's nice to see you try though.

AFAIK, clips only refer to the things that hold rounds together outside the gun/magazine. Such as stripper clips for older rifles, or the clip for an M1 garand. My trick, If the rounds are in a box, its a magazine, if not, its a clip.

Also, you are right, you can't fire 3/4 of your round into a zed. But you can fire 3/4 of your rounds into a zed.

Droppin' Uzi clips in da haterz by da city. No 1 mess with da crew.

Mah boi Denzel shot off a round into da xbox mayne. Shit wasn't under warranty bro.

Me n mah crew was doin a deal that went south, ya feel me? I had to unload dat magazine into dis guy. Tryin to take my cashflow? da fuk?

At least the gangs shall be educated.

however they load from the top - unlike a mag which is from the bottom. Think M1. Both hold rounds, however.

Everything is right except for this... I'm not sure of the true distinction though... we're on the internet, why not look it up? (goin to bed... gnight)

Isn't a clip also the "clip" the rounds come on for 5.56.

"The defining difference between clips and magazines is the presence of a feed mechanism in a magazine, typically a spring-loaded follower, which a clip lacks"

Wikipedia ftw.

Edited by Humbabwe
  • Like 1

"The defining difference between clips and magazines is the presence of a feed mechanism in a magazine, typically a spring-loaded follower, which a clip lacks"

Wikipedia ftw.

So I'm possibly still right.

Here's some more info:

A bullet is the projectile fired from a round.

A round (also called a cartridge) packages a bullet, case, powder, and primer.

A clip is a device that holds multiple rounds together in one unit. A clip can be inserted into a magazine for ease of loading.

A magazine feeds the weapon itself and can contain either a clip or individually-loaded rounds. You could load rounds into a clip outside of the magazine, then place the clip inside the magazine where the rounds are then fed into the gun's chamber.

Edited by macPSU

This is a personal peeve, but I'd like to remind people that a MAGAZINE is a device that actively feeds a gun with ammunition, where as CLIPS load bullets into MAGAZINES.

Mag = contains bullets to feed in guns

Clips = load bullets into magazine

There is one notable system which have "en-block magazines" in which both are used.

<3

post-127268-0-56034400-1352778237_thumb.

I've played CoD and Battlefield that qualifies me to be a weapon expert, I can confirm that magazine are loaded into clips and clips are loaded into guns.

• Like 1

This really bugs the shit out of me, I blame Americans, movies and games.

I might start calling everything else different names just to get the point across, a car is now a dolphin, Krutoy Cap is now Devils Castle and America is now called Uganda

Edited by jdz