Sidewinderx84

New players cant get past learning curve

Bought arma 2 just for day z since ive seen like 15 dayz vids on youtube, and i gotta say if you are on the edge about buying just for this mod .. dont. Perhaps i will have an amazing time 50+ hours of gameplay down the road, however i gotta say its not worth the trouble unless you want the actual game anyways (wouldnt see why you would) or other mods which i know a few are highly recommended. The time and frustration getting this game installed, setting up the resolution on my PoS monitor, and getting Day Z to work, disconnecting several times or dying while reading the controls, is just silly. Not to mention glitching through walls, going town to town looking for a weapon to start with, while crouching to avoid zombies is it too much to ask to start with a fire axe ? or is there a novice gametype, version, server, or tutorial? Run for 5 mins to find a town, 90% of houses you cannot enter, and im sure the experienced players know what to look for, but my whole argument is based on the brick wall you face as a new player. Im sure veterans out there will disagree, but the time it takes to fire up this game and become proficient just does not seem worth it at this point, and i want my money and time back.

I don't see why people buy the game and go STRAIGHT to DayZ

There is a Tutorial in the base game, play it.

Edited by Tenebris Draco
  • Like 17

or you just won't learn how to start out having no weapon. From every death there is a lesson of "how could i have prevented that death?: What could i've done to save my ass"

• Like 6

my advice, play ARMA 2 first, the boot camp is a great place to learn, mess about at firing ranges or in showcases or armory learn the weapons and then come back it teaches you all you need to know. the most common mistake is jumping into the mod without knowing the game. trust me it helps

• Like 5

Err... firstly, you didn't pay any money to play DayZ. You bought Arma. DayZ has never asked for any money or been advertised anywhere.

Secondly. All of the veterans and others enjoying the mod seem to have coped with the steep learning curve. Did you not know that it's supposed to be brutally hard? It's because it's so hard that it's been so popular. People are sick of copycat AAA FPS games and this is the antidote.

Good luck getting a refund from Bohemia.

P.s - Can I get have my time back for reading your post?

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 11

I agree with OP, Starting this game just now without having any knowledge is really hard. I started 4 days ago but ive been playing games my entire life so adapting to the controls wasnt hard. however in any real life situation if i was lost i would always keep to the beach/coast to try and find help, which is very logical, thats why most noobs stay on the coast from the start.

When i found guides on what to do, how to survive etc i ran into the forest and started farming Barns/deerstands for weapons and supplies, when i had some food/water/Painkillers and bandages i went to a supermarket, being super careful and then up further to a hospital to get med supplies, THEN i went to the coast and had some great fun.

If you practice, you will get better.

You did not buy your first bike with hard paper route labour, only to go to the store for a refund because you can't learn how to ride it

If you need help, there are pleanty of guides. The controls are NOT DIFFICULT. Just because there are a few extra buttons doesn't mean it makes it difficult. It's standard FPS controls. WASD and crouch/prone keys.

Edited by Deviant

Took me 2 weeks to learn this game, i went from thinking this is a bad game to now knowing its the best game ive ever played in my entire life. (im 30 years old).

Please watch tutorials on youtube so u grasp the basics, u will get hooked i promise you that.

• Like 1

It's like anything you do in life, it has a learning curve.

Making yourself a piece of toast is significantly easier than making beef Wellington. Thus playing Mario is far easier than playing DayZ.

I suggest a little patience and putting into practise the ideas, suggestions and training from the numerous sources on this website and others.

• Like 6

I am not an FPS guy, and I don't really like this game to be referred to purely as such.

Very very little really ever changes in the "FPS" genre.

To me, this is MMOResident Evil.

I've been waiting for this for most of 20 years.

That being said it took me a week to get to the point to where I can have these awesome adventures with decent gear.

I've died to every stupid shitty thing in the game (glitches, hackers, bitchass snipers), and I keep coming back for more.

Lately I'm finding quite a bit of good stuff on player corpses, or by stumbling upon stuff in the wilderness. It starts to balance out some of the stupid stuff, and it is kinda fun to try different weapons and gear. Some of the most fun and intense moments for me have been when I'm weaponless, or fighting a horde with a hatchet.

It's a shame that the depth and possibilities of this game is so lost on so many of you.

Some of you should go play Arma2 or some other shooter and have it out with other snipers or PvP fanatics.

I bet the best snipers actually play Arma2....

Edited by BioHaze
  • Like 3

Do not give up. You will die many times. Sometimes by outrageous things. This MOD is not perfect, after all we are testing the game and asked to give feedback on things we find wrong or even right.

or you just won't learn how to start out having no weapon. From every death there is a lesson of "how could i have prevented that death?: What could i've done to save my ass"

Alixtheone is right. Learn from your mistakes. I assure you, you will catch on and like me, completely enjoy this amazing adventure.

Thus playing Mario is far easier than playing DayZ.

It's obvious you've never played, "the lost levels".

I watched several videos and read these forums for a bit before actually jumping into the game. When I jumped in I died when I reached my first town despite gaining a little bit of knowledge before hand. My second life I did much better and I've been getting better and better each life. My current life I'm in the best shape I've ever been. 12000 blood, M1A1, M1911, ALICE pack, matches, hunting knife, hatchet, compass, watch, 8 cans of coke, 2 canteens, 3 cans of beans/pasta, 2 blood bags, 2 morphine, 4 or 5 bandages, and a few clips for each gun I own. Granted this life I spent mostly playing with a friend which makes getting out of crappy situations better and I was able to get full health again when we hit a hospital and found the blood bags.

• Like 1

ArmA 2 is complicated itself. Try to finish all Tutorial Levels, this helps a lot.

And dont prone over the map alone. Join a clan or community to play with.

Youll see its much more fun that way.

Lol, tutorial...funny. You also read manuals to learn how to work your new tv? I had a little trouble installing the game, but anyone with half a brain can get it to work, and only a complete idiot would have trouble learning the controls/interface for DayZ. Feel free to use the wiki to learn the map and find out where things spawn. Act like you have a brain and you might actually find yourself making some headway in DayZ. The game is also in Alpha, it has a long way to go, but it's an epic game as is. Things happen, the world is in chaos, roll with it.

yeah I found this game to have a steeper learning curve than most. I just started playing over the weekend. I am terrible at this game as I am learning but its still very fun. Each death I learned more and more about the game and how important sound is and affects this game. To me, the game is very fun and is more of a strategy game than anything. The only issue I am having at the moment is developing more patience and finding food. If you dont have patience and just run into villages, you will hate this game.

If you practice, you will get better.

You did not buy your first bike with hard paper route labour, only to go to the store for a refund because you can't learn how to ride it

If you need help, there are pleanty of guides. The controls are NOT DIFFICULT. Just because there are a few extra buttons doesn't mean it makes it difficult. It's standard FPS controls. WASD and crouch/prone keys.

Alot of posts about omg put some time into it, practice more ... etc. Sorry i guess i should "Complain less" and get straight to the point. I can tell this game is fun once you are adept at it, I was posting to point out to newcomers that its a huge wall to bypass to get where you wanna be. That includes not only controls, but also finding servers, getting booted, skipping through walls and dying trying to equip a hunting knife only to realize its not a weapon in this game.

To the poster who said something about buying Arma 2 just for Day Z.... i dont need a war sim or a fps that is subpar to other games i own. I wanted the zombie survival game, and warning others who care to read is fair game imo.

Other poster said he wants time back from reading my post, not only are you basically trolling, but im sure you read alot of posts that dont apply to you, and maybe you post similar comments there also, but life must be rough if you cant spare 1 min to connect the dots between topic and post.

• Like 1

I'm glad most noobs in DayZ never touched Demon's Souls or Dark Souls.

Anyways, if you aren't willing to put time into a game that is in Alpha testing, then I don't think you should continue playing. Do you think those YouTubers started out with weapons?

This game clearly isn't for you. I bought Arma 2 for DayZ and it was well worth the money.

• Like 4

I am not an FPS guy, and I don't really like this game to be referred to purely as such.

Very very little really ever changes in the "FPS" genre.

To me, this is MMOResident Evil.

I've been waiting for this for most of 20 years.

This. I started watching videos about DayZ for weeks until I finally got it. I read everything I should know before I downloaded it, and only had a few problems because of the updates which took no more than 5 minutes to fix. Other than that, I suck at the game but I still love it, one of the best mods/games I've played in a while. If you can't handle it, or you're too young to understand how these types of games work, then maybe you shouldn't play...

I started playing a week ago... been killed 6 times and I still suck at it. But i'm getting more and more careful about the things that i'm doing.

At the beginning is always hard but just get a good map and a couple of friends and enjoy the ride. Have a lot of patience because sometimes you will have to walk a lot or visit many towns to get a good weapon. Also do not attach emotionally to your items and think twice before making the next step.

Starting out in Day Z is a trial by fire.

A lot of lazy newbies who won't do research, or fight though the learning curve never make it.

The first 20 deaths will be shitty, that's the way this game is, But you feel like a fucking veteran once you learn the ropes.

• Like 2

I bought arma specifically for dayz too. While I like dayz I really wasn't impressed with arma itself, it seems pretty clunky compared to a lot of newer fps games. I've played a lot of those kinds of games over the years and I can't really say that the arma controls are really intuitive at all. The bag system and the weapon clip system just seem really strange compared to most other games. That having been said it is possible to get used to it with a little effort.

I'm still learning how to play this game. Someone always has a bit of info that I knew nothing about. (like filling up the backpack on the ground before picking it up)

The early days in game are usually the most frustrating but can also be the most fun. Don't take it too seriously and you'll have a blast while learning.