Luieburger

Temperature isn't the problem... it's starvation.

If temperature is really an issue, and we need axes to chop down trees.... does that mean it will take trees a while to respawn? Can we fell entire forests struggling to keep warm?

I'd understand having to look for wood if we were in the arctic, but most of the Chernarus map is covered with trees, so there should simply be no need to go into houses to look for firewood. :) The firewood should be removed as an item and the fireplace should be constructed using only matches like it was before.

Or perhaps make firewood a necessity to start fires anywhere BUT in the wilderness. In a building for example. I don't know how the AA engine works, so I cant offer any suggestions for detection other then an activator/player location check radius around towns. If your within the radius you require fire wood, if not then its considered wilderness I guess..

I live in the country' date=' I could scrounge up enough wood for a good fire in a 30m radius...

[/quote']

I live in the city and I could do the same. Shoot, I wouldn't even have to leave my house - plenty of nice, dry wood right behind the drywall (of course, those have been treated with chemicals, but in a survival situation it would be worth it)

I think the best solution would be some kind of "Search for firewood" action. It should take a small bit of time, make some noise and maybe you have to walk around or sit down (like with eating and drinking), but you have a significantly high chance of "finding" some firewood.

Seriously, building a fire from scratch is not a monumental task. If realism is a serious goal here, the noise, time and movement (restricted or required) should be sufficient cost to find something that is literally everywhere.

That Wood-Feature is just a stupid joke.

No wood in the woods?????

What is the sence of that?

As a hunter I still had to loot houses for ammo and drugs.

In forests the fireplaces should work as they did before, under the assumption your character is not completely retarded and gathers enough firewood. In towns, in fields, in the pouring rain, those situations should warrant firewood usage. OH, and why can't you use a combination of road flare + firewood to make a fire? Jerry cans should be able to be put into fires to keep them going too, just not near as long as wood, and it should burn much brighter.

In forests the fireplaces should work as they did before' date=' under the assumption your character is not completely retarded and gathers enough firewood. In towns, in fields, in the pouring rain, those situations should warrant firewood usage. OH, and why can't you use a combination of road flare + firewood to make a fire? Jerry cans should be able to be put into fires to keep them going too, just not near as long as wood, and it should burn much brighter.

[/quote']

Have you ever tried setting gas on fire? It's damn near impossible, especially with matches. You need something for it to wick into, just gas does not work for a fire.

But yeah, this whole "gather firewood in people's apartments" is stupid, and hopefully very temporary. No need to complicate things, IMO: If you're in the woods, and have matches, you can set a fire automatically.

The wood situation is temporary as I couldn't get the hatchet added in time for the release. It will be likely you can eat raw meat in the next update' date=' with an associated change of infection developing.

[/quote']

rocket, please make the hatchet loud when used on trees. And please make the duration of chopping based on the size of the tree. Thanks!

I've not actually played since the update but firewood just seems unecessary based on the terain. As people have said theres no way you wouldn't have a constant supply of dried out twigs/branches from the floors. I do however think matches should run out.

Someone also mentioned something about a tyre, I don't like the idea of it being used for fire, but could maybe be used as a daytime signal?

Wood as a item should be removed. Building a fire place was fine as it was I just assumed that the delay and sounds when building was my character gathering up wood etc.

I understand they are testing ideas here but I hope this doesn't go to show that with each new feature it will require more and more micro management of thing that bring little benefit to the game play.

e.g.

items required to eat beans

Beans

Can opener

Spoon

Find bean, find can opener, open can use spoon.

The wood situation is temporary as I couldn't get the hatchet added in time for the release. It will be likely you can eat raw meat in the next update' date=' with an associated change of infection developing.

[/quote']

Instead of increasing your chance of getting an infection when eating raw food, you should get a chance to have food poisoning. It could be handled similarly to coughing, except you get randomly stuck in a puking animation for 10 seconds, complete with sound and particle effects. It would be very inconvenient/dangerous to involuntarily be puking until you get it out of your system. Also, you would lose the food energy you've gained along with losing water.

Wood as a item should be removed. Building a fire place was fine as it was I just assumed that the delay and sounds when building was my character gathering up wood etc.

I understand they are testing ideas here but I hope this doesn't go to show that with each new feature it will require more and more micro management of thing that bring little benefit to the game play.

e.g.

Beans

Can opener

Spoon

Find bean' date=' find can opener, open can use spoon.

[/quote']

Or we can just open the can with a hunting knife and put our mouth at the end of the can and 'drink' the beans. Lol.

I live in the country' date=' I could scrounge up enough wood for a good fire in a 30m radius... finding wood in houses and supermarkets but not in the forest is just the most stupid f'ing thing... this feature is no good and it fails for many reasons.

Plus my body temp drops when running wtf...

Wood for fires needs to be removed or make a new tool like an 'Axe' and collect it from forest.

Body temp should only drop in rain, yes its Europe but we're not wearing shorts and thongs... characters don't get cold just 'because'... they are wearing appropriate clothing for the climate they are in (its not like its a bunch of Aussies not bring the right clothes on a trip to Europe from an Australian summer) it needs to be from the environment ie rain or swimming where clothes aren't as effective as they would be dry.

Both these features have been very badly implemented.

[/quote']

I agree with this, i mean Rocket is adding realistic features that i think are good ideas but are implemented badly. If your gonna add these realistic features then at least make them behave realistically, such s swimming or when its rain ( again, being out in the rain for at least 15 minutes or more should start the temp to drop) should be when the temp drops.

I think this whole wood thing is more trouble than its worth,

They should revert the whole wood thing. 75% of the map is covered by trees, you should just have to find matches and it can be assumed you found the wood for it...

In real-life I live near a slightly wooded area, it would take maybe 3 mins to find enough loose wood to make a fire. The fact you have to KEEP finding wood would just be annoying in a game :/

e.g.

Beans

Can opener

Spoon

Find bean' date=' find can opener, open can use spoon.

[/quote']

Or we can just open the can with a hunting knife and put our mouth at the end of the can and 'drink' the beans. Lol.

I think you may have missed the point he was making, and using said knife id also be able to gather enough combustible material from Chernarus to make a fire last indefinately.

[/quote']

Excellent! We did end up finding wood in a store, so we're alright now. Also, it's good to know we will be able to eat raw meat in the future, with a price. We were actually talking about that.

Thank's rocket!

PS: I agree with some folks that a hatchet shouldn't be necessary to make a fire. Perhaps the hunting knife allows you to split kindling, with a risk of breaking it? I use my knife for firewood all the time. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9L-OlYNdL0&feature=relmfu

I live in the country' date=' I could scrounge up enough wood for a good fire in a 30m radius...

[/quote']

I live in the city and I could do the same. Shoot, I wouldn't even have to leave my house - plenty of nice, dry wood right behind the drywall (of course, those have been treated with chemicals, but in a survival situation it would be worth it)

I think the best solution would be some kind of "Search for firewood" action. It should take a small bit of time, make some noise and maybe you have to walk around or sit down (like with eating and drinking), but you have a significantly high chance of "finding" some firewood.

Seriously, building a fire from scratch is not a monumental task. If realism is a serious goal here, the noise, time and movement (restricted or required) should be sufficient cost to find something that is literally everywhere.

This. You could either integrate this into building the actual fire or just make it an action to perform to create a "bundle of firewood" at the players feet.

I like the idea of having to gather wood, i also like the temperature feature with sickness (I like more challenging games :P).

Maybe, (since in my experience it rains a fair amount or looks "cold") you have to find dry wood to start a fire and only that would work. Since most people want wood in the forest, you could add drops of random "dry" wood piles near forests and if the hatchet is going to be implemented maybe only certain trees that are "deeper" in the forest and have not had the poor weather touch them as much as other trees, thus making them more "suitable" for a fire to actually get going and last.

If raw meat is going to be edible then, like people said, have a mid-high risk of food poisoning from doing so and not giving as much blood than cooked meat. This will deter people away from relying on just a hunting knife and not having matches and wood.

I was thinking about that problem and I had an idea:

A nice solution would be implementing a tool to extract wood from trees, i.e. an axe. So if you dont have a tool, you need to scavage barns looking for wood piles but if you have tool you can just go to the forest and get wood from a tree there.

It doesnt need to put down a tree to make fire, just get close to a tree and "symbolically" extract some wood. To make it more interesting, the extraction should take several seconds (lets say 20s) and while you are in the process, you make a loud axe noise that could atract the attention of zombies and other players if they are nearby.

I think it makes much more sense than only get wood in the city or have wood piles spawning in the middle of the forest.

The wood probably isn't lying in forests' date=' it's probably in houses.

[/quote']

that's the biggest gripe I have with this update. seriously, I'm in the woods and can't find any wood? :huh:

as for the hatchet thingy, c'mon, I have a knife, I have my two hands. wouldn't it be possible to gather wood without a hatchet, for a fire? I don't remember ever having a hatchet with me when gathering wood to start a fire.

rocket, I respect your decisions, but this "wood" business is, in my humble opinion, taking the whole survival thing a bit too far.

The gist of all of these replies is correct. The need for a hatchet to get firewood is somewhat ridiculous, and what's even more ridiculous is to have to go into town to find wood when there are forests all around.

The best two solutions here have also been mentioned repeatedly: allow one to "gather firewood" with the action menu, OR simply get rid of the need for wood altogether, since Chernarus is certainly a place where wood is commonly available.

My biggest concern of adding all these new features is... Eventually i'm not even going to have enough bag space to carry the necessities!