rocket

Pending Update: Build 1.7.2.4

OMG read the previous posts before posting the same BS others have already!

I rather read the reason/explanation as to why on first post rather than go through 69 pages.

Edited by ChozinOne

Really great job! i just had 2 more friends get the game and start playing this week. I currently host a server (us1094) and We all are having a great time playing. One suggestion i would like to make especially with the respawn button being disabled soon is maybe the introduction of more low end vehicles, such as bicycles, that respawn maybe daily. Maybe this does not go along with the hardcore gaming experience that is your vision it is just after playing on many different servers and an untold amount of hours i have noticed a lack of any vehicles in the game being used. To me it seems like the vehicles are all hoarded and hidden away and brought out only when deemed safe. (like when server population is below 10) After hundreds of hours of playing i have seen the large bus once, 2 motorcycles and a truck that was stuck in the terrain. oh and 2 bicycles. Hell i would be excited at this point if i came across a rideable tricycle, lol! 7 days of non use for vehicle respawn is a tad much i believe.

They will leave a trail, once we have the algorithms sorted and can issue warnings/punishment... those who continue to do it will receive database level bans,

I have one concern with this and that is there are times when i will be trying to get on and i get stuck on the load screen maybe 10 times in a row whuile trying out digfferent servers and i have to alt-f4 out and bring up task manager to close the game down. will this be mistakenly taken as alt-f4 to prevent death?

I gave up after reading 13 pages, I really wish people would just read all of the information instead of ranting/arguing/whining about stuff which is not in their control (we are testing Rocket's mod, we have no ownership of DayZ) and has already been covered.

I look forward to the update :)

Really, REALLY need the tent fix asap.

Kinda rough without a place to store items long term

rocket can we have pistols when we start...

and also cant you make every house open and such, its really annoying getting items and seeing millions of closed houses.

also can you increase the number of times you see weaker weapons and such, you can find ammo but you can never find a pistol for hours..

also so there are no spawn kills and dying way too early, couldn't there be a certain amount of time a newly made character has before being able to die from other players?

Edited by fate1122

Server Hopping: How about having one character per server (with a max number of characters per person - 5 maybe)? This way, it would be possible for people to actually make a save haven of sorts. Like locking out a small part of Cherno from players (and Zeds) - or in any other places in the map for that matter. Completely blocking it off with sandbags and the likes. Although this would ultimately render the emergency medical support fellas kaput.

ALT+F4: Once you hit ALT+F4, you must wait for 15-30 seconds (or an X amount of time) before your character actually disappears in-game even though you already exited? I'm sure this has been brought up, aye?

Edited by Masi_23

I don't know what to say anymore. I know no one wants to read through this long thread. not to be mean, but you're late to the discussion. take the time to get caught up, or search for rocket's posts, or at least look through the last few pages before posting

Edited by daze23
  • Like 1

Isn't the plan for 90% of people Cherno/Elektro --> Supermarket --> Hospital --> North?

I answered this a few posts up, the logout timer will be server-side (I assume, otherwise there is no point to it.) Just like in WoW if you've ever played it, you have to wait 20 seconds to log out. Even if you alt f4 or rip out your ethernet cable or microwave your router, your character stays logged into the server for 20 seconds.

so just chilling 20 seconds not doing anything and not being able to do anything is the correct answer. I mean why if I wait 5 mins not getting shot or aggro, and not shooting anything my self, should I wait 20 seconds where I am completely defenseless?

Now I'm all for doing the timer, if the person disconnected is aggrod or being shot at. I feel that if players are able to secure an area and be safe for an x amount of time, they shouldn't have to wait to leave and while doing so are completely defenseless.

I see it also being abused by backstabbers who will just wait while you are out of the server but your player is still there and just kills you. which would further make random groups less likely to happen.(which I see as a bad thing)

Edited by Orthus

also so there are no spawn kills and dying way too early, couldn't there be a certain amount of time a newly made character has before being able to die from other players?

this is not hello kitty online. sorry

• Like 2

he really needs to work on the one million houses closed off thing though, and rate of which actually useful items spawn in the houses and such.

he really needs to work on the one million houses closed off thing though, and rate of which actually useful items spawn in the houses and such.

Yes, it would be great to find more items with less effort. At least an AKM in each house should be possible. We also need something like farmville in the game, i love ponies.

• Like 1

Yes, it would be great to find more items with less effort. At least an AKM in each house should be possible. We also need something like farmville in the game, i love ponies.

not weapons, more like things you would actually see in a house at a higher rate, i shouldn't have to walk for 40 mins to find a map and all the other toolbelt items or a normal pistol, they should appear in the villages by the shoreline at a higher rate and as you get deeper in you can find better items. its called making the game balanced.

On a client crash - you will receive a "disconnect" entry, affecting your reputation (over a period of time). You can use RPT files to ask for a manual review.

Keep in mind about graphic problems of arma, for example my client crashes almost every hour due to graphic driver error and i have to forcely close application.

Great, can't wait to test it

EDIT:

Since i have the first post hijacked: There are currently severe hacking issues across most DayZ servers. And i'm not talking about some kid with aimbot or other self-empowering tools, but things like:

- Killing the entire server at the press of a button

- Teleporting the entire server to one place

and other massive-destruction type of hacks. I know you're saying battleye is doing better than most other anti-cheats, but it honestly is not gonna be sufficient enough for DayZ as a mod. Wouldn't it be possible to add a mod-side cheat-detection or even prevention? Such as, stopping the ability to spawn items that are not even able to be found on DayZ, and other restrictions such as detecting huge changes in x y z coords that can't be achieved by regular vehicles (aka teleporting)...

I know there are standalone plans, but this can take quite a while and in the meantime, hosters are shutting down their servers because their hands are completely tied, while their servers are getting completely f*cked up

(This guy has got it right: "IMHO, hacking is the single most important development issue right now.")

Hacking is not important. The single greatest threat to DayZ right now is people ALT-F4ing and respawning until they find an acceptable spawn location. Oh and bear traps. Yes, rocket wants bear traps to get full attention as well.

I don't get it why people are so mad about the removal of the respawn button.

Concern: spawn in the debug plains

Answer: Rocket already stated that any spawn outside of the map border will be redirected to a random spawn along the magnificent beachside

Concern: hacker teleports me to the debug plains

Answer: Rocket said that he may look into conditional respawning (e.g. legs broken = possibility to respawn, location in debug forest = possibility to respawn)

Concern: now I can't spawn near my friends and I have to run instead

Answer: the time it takes for you to cycle through a load of respawns just to get to a location near your friends is roughly the same as the time you spend spawning once and running to the nearest town, finding some food and a hatchet/gun and making your way inland to meet your friends (in short: it's an illusion, you don't actually save time by respawning over and over (in some cases you actually lose time, depends on your luck)

Concern: I need to spawn close to where I died to get my gear back

Answer: tough look, this mod is based on the simple fact that you have one life and if you fuck up you lose everything. Minimizing the possibilities to get your previous character's gear back on your own is a good thing and in line with the concept of the mod

I personally have never used the respawn button and have always spent the time running to my friends (mainly because the satisfaction is greater hen you finally meet up in the middle of the map somewhere (and trying to pinpoint eachother without a map/compass/GPS is even more fun)).

---

Concern: hackers

Nothing to do with Rocket or DayZ, look at BI and/or BattleEye for this one, so stop saying that Rocket needs to stop adding new things or fixing other bugs and fix hackers instead.

If Coca-Cola creates a batch of poisoned bottles of coke and you nearly die after drinking one. Would you sue Coca-Cola, or the supermarket you bought them at?

Edited by Applejuice
  • Like 3

Disabling the respawn button is not a good idea. As when used you lose your items anyway. Sometimes it is good if your looking to find your friends and they are really far away, I don't see the benefit in disabling it.

I mean why if I wait 5 mins not getting shot or aggro, and not shooting anything my self, should I wait 20 seconds where I am completely defenseless?

Well you allready waited 5 mins, im sure another 20 seconds isnt going to hurt. And so what if it does?

Worst case senario: you log out in the middle of the forest miles from anywhere thinking your all safe and alone and some random bandit just happens to stumble arcoss you motionless body. So you he kills you and takes NVG and 50cal. BIG DEAL.

Im fine with that if it means that scummy survivor im shooting at for sport cant just run behind some cover and logout like a coward taking his beans with him.

• Like 2

Yeah, totally agree.

Christ, I think rocket was an abused child or he got mentally fkked up during his "military service" -> DayZ development has this childlike overtone of "I'm gonna tell Mommy" or "your tears taste good" going on - INSTEAD of actually focusing on the important stuff like broken spawns, broken server joining, hackers, rocket focuses on petty issues like e.g. too many connects/disconnects within a period. Well gee whiz moron, it sometimes takes 30 minutes to actually get on a ****ing server and play. In that 30 minutes I might join 10+ different servers before I find one that:

1. Doesn't have the gloriously infinite "waiting for character to create" OR "Loading" screen bug and actually loads in

2. isn't lagged to sht

3. doesn't kick me for some stupid script restriction etc

4. isn't pitch black dark.

5. isn't infested with hackers

The game is in Alpha, therefore, he is adding features before ironing out bugs that will take possible days of coding to fix... Jesus.
  • Like 2

Well you allready waited 5 mins, im sure another 20 seconds isnt going to hurt. And so what if it does?

Worst case senario: you log out in the middle of the forest miles from anywhere thinking your all safe and alone and some random bandit just happens to stumble arcoss you motionless body. So you he kills you and takes NVG and 50cal. BIG DEAL.

Im fine with that if it means that scummy survivor im shooting at for sport cant just run behind some cover and logout like a coward taking his beans with him.

Notice how I stated that if your in-combat(both by players and zombies) its fine because your trying to abuse a game mechanic to get out of combat , however if your already out of combat, than a instant d/c should be fine and dandy.

edit: Also notice how I pointed out how it would basically ruin random grouping because, disconnecting before them could mean your dead, because now they have a chance to kill you without you doing anything or knowing that they killed you, till you get back on. So really a log out timer only helps out player killing and not the underlining issue that players are abusing game mechanics to get out of combat or de-aggro.zombies.

Edited by Orthus

why motionless body? it would be better if u could actually move and shoot during the countdown

why motionless body? it would be better if u could actually move and shoot during the countdown

sure but it wouldn't solve the issue of alt-f4 or other ways to force close a connection with the server to get out of combat or de-aggro.