rocket

Pending Update: Build 1.7.2.4

What exactly does "* [NEW] Optimized authentication process on login" do?

I hope he doesn't answer that. Stuff like this should not be public. Lets not make it so easy for the hackers/scripters please.

• Like 1

At the same time, initially, login cooldown will be applied (and grow) where you transfer to another server, and cooldown will be applied significantly if you try and reconnect to the same server (with an alive character). Once we have enough data, we will use that to determine algorithms that detect a players behavior over a period of time. This will allow us to then start applying warnings > punishments > database bans; to those players who continue the behavior.

Oh sweet jesus. You just made my day \o/

is there a time frame for how long data is collected?

Edited by Azrail

C'mon! This is bs! Warnings, bans, bah!!! I don't want to almost kill somebody just for them to alt+f4 to safety land! Only to get a warning. Because at the end of the day that fucker should have died to my gun! And, so what, he gets banned, I don't get a kill and wasted my time and bullets on a alt+f'n4er! And who knows, if the asshole tried to fight back instead of magically disappearing, I might be the one taking the beach walk when the smoke clears!

My opinion, change the mechanics to stop instant safety from disconnects. Sorry if your power goes out or your internet takes a dump, but your character persists in the game for a set time, at least 30 seconds, or more, if you die in that time, you die! Day Zero again, go find some new swag!

F. Joe Couch

• Like 4

With this in mind, would you say DayZ as a mod will ever be finalized or will it forever be just a test bed for the standalone?

I think the mod will continue on, unless there was a compelling reason not too. Certainly, right now, it is critical to the success of the project.

A reaction to WarZ perhaps?

WarZ isn't a game, it's some "concept level" screenshots and some bullet points. There is really not much to react too. I was more supprised at the name choice, given that Paramount just trademarked "World War Z" for a video game, and WarZ project has not trademarked theirs yet.

• Like 13

I wholeheartedly suggest that you don't disable the "Respawn" button until you can select a spawn point, nobody wants to spawn in Kamenka when it is a pretty accurate assessment that you "need" to go to a main city and gear up before heading in-land. The only reason people may want to spawn there is because their friends/clan may be there. People will simply circumvent this restriction by climbing a ladder and jumping off, or aggro'ing many Zeds to die, I understand it takes up server resource to log/create each individual entry of a character per server but it will simply annoy way too many people for a very little gain. This is not mentioning the stuck in Wilderness spawns etc which also require a respawn pretty urgently if on a new character, just my 2 cents.

Other than that, liking all the new things you're trying, I understand they may not be perfect but absolutely a step in the right direction.

• Like 6

Sometimes I too have to connect to a lot of servers before i can actually get into the game, and sometimes a server gets stuck even after "setup complete... blabla" and i can even see my blood, food, thirst, etc status but cant play. Also, both the game and my pc crashed a few times while playing. I hope the new system can notice the difference.

Edited by sebastian.w

What he is proposing will fix the problem with Alt+F4, but it might punish everyone who isn't doing it as well.

I don't want to be banned because I server hoped to find one stable for myself and my friends, or banned because I logged into a server with a hacker blowing up a city and then log out and get flagged because I just switched to that server from another server.

Please do not implement this.

Go with my other idea.

Create a tool that has the following in a report. Players would have to log into that so they couldn't go and report the same player 500 times anonymously. 1 report per incident.

Name it like "DayZ APB".

Who you're reporting: "PLayer X"

What server: "This would be a drop down box with a filter option to look up our current server"

Time: 11am pst

Create an ingame message like "Player X has force quit". That way people could get his name to use in the report tool.

Then, players could report the dcers without it punishing all the others players through false positives.

Edited by Barronism
  • Like 1

Login is only recorded when your client broadcasts a "success" message to the central server.

Logout is only recorded when you use the "Abort" menu item.

On a server crash - you will have no "logout" so your login will be ignored.

On ALT-F4 - you will receive a "disconnect" entry, affecting your reputation.

On a client crash - you will receive a "disconnect" entry, affecting your reputation (over a period of time). You can use RPT files to ask for a manual review.

Basically meaning, if you have net problems for a day, don't play DayZ because you will be logged as a combat DCer.

This method doesn't fix the problem.

Having a player stay in game for 10-20 seconds would, however.

• Like 4

I wholeheartedly suggest that you don't disable the "Respawn" button until you can select a spawn point

I accept it is going to be a, well, bitch.

But we need to see what affect this kind of forced spawn will have on players. It will make dying more significant. We need to see what response this will actually have with the data, not just the QQ from people on the forums. It is like previous updates where we had to try controversial things. This update will, unfortunately, come in before we have had a chance to look at group spawn mechanics.

• Like 23

I hope he doesn't answer that. Stuff like this should not be public. Lets not make it so easy for the hackers/scripters please.

haha good point, damn hackers.

...I could make all sorts of grand statements, and make some cool concept art, but it would be dishonest and ultimately pointless....

Hehe. I see what you did there.

• Like 6

I frequently have connection problems since I live on a rural area, this means my connection drops pretty often to be up again a couple minutes later

I hope this is is going to be taken account of, since it might lead to many bans in areas with low quality lines

The mechanics are being tested, but it will put a "timeout" if you successfully connect too many times within a period of time.

Huh... Hope there is more info coming on this or this is just for testing. I'll sometimes connect to 3-4 servers trying to find one that is on daytime. Maybe make some way to filter based on that. DayZ Commander tries, but it is based on the text in the server name, and admins don't always update that properly.

Looking forward to see what comes next.

Each time they login and logout of a server, it will be logged. Once we ensure we are not catching false-positives, we will start issuing warnings to players and allow them to check their reputation on the website with the central server. Those that continue to conduct the behavior, will receive database bans.

I hope you start regulating who runs servers and if their hardware is capable of it. Because I regularly log in to servers to find that they are desynching like shit and log out to find one that isn't horrendous. Ping is absolutely 0 indication of how laggy and buggy a server will be. Or servers state their GMT / UTC time are totally incorrect.

You're still going to have people logging out to avoid dying, they'll just go have a little break for 20 minutes and cook some hot pockets rather than loose their 1 week "full set"...

We need to add a new feature to the site that allows the player to review their personal data, so that they can check their Hive reputation, and ask for a manual review where they consider something is in error.

This sounds like a micromanagement nightmare to be honest. You're short staffed as it is, who's going to look over 1/2 a million reports from people bullshitting to get off from their reputations and people who are genuinely being given crappy reputations by the hive being borked / joining one of the thousands of laggy ass servers.

Don't get me wrong, it's awesome to see you doing something to stop Alt+F4 people because this totally undermines the hardcore aspect of dayz. But you're doing it in such a passive / easy to abuse / very easy to get false positive way which will result in players getting BANNED.

I'd much rather people are stuck in game with a log in timer and die like they should than tens of thousands of people accidentally get banned forever...

Edit:

This fix really won't work. If someone's at the NW airfield in their super leet gear and they get shot at, they will just log out. You're not logging in and out in such situations. How could the hive possibly track that? Unless they bullet hits them or something? But even so... It's so open to people abusing its loopholes. He'll look like just a regular joe logging out for the day if a bullet hasn't actually hit him / caused shock and maybe he'll go for a little break.

While many innocent people are going to end up getting bad reputations caused simply by laggy ass servers.

Edited by itputsthelotion
  • Like 5

WarZ isn't a game, it's some "concept level" screenshots and some bullet points. There is really not much to react too. I was more supprised at the name choice, given that Paramount just trademarked "World War Z" for a video game, and WarZ project has not trademarked theirs yet.

Wasnt aware of the Paramount trademark, but that is kind of funny, from what i could make out of the WarZ website its barely even at the "concept level" stage yet, there is a distinct lack of details in reference to any kind of gameplay. Although the mention of quests put me off instantly.

Your mod is so incredibly addictive simply because there is no objectives there are no quests, you have taken the "Grind" out of gaming, and should be hailed as some kind of hero for it.

:)

Edited by MarcW1771ams
  • Like 3

its a good idea trying to stop hoppers and respawners but on other games like cod or BF you can D/C when ever and rejoin, what about if people have to eat or something?

Lets not escalate my comments about the login/logout system... I'm just implementing LOGGING at this stage, it is going to collect data. Nobody will be getting banned right now, so if people could avoid panic right now that would be quite good.

• Like 22

I think the mod will continue on, unless there was a compelling reason not too. Certainly, right now, it is critical to the success of the project.

I guess you could still look at it as a test bed even if it does get finalized. I have to admit though, I would prefer seeing a standalone product worked on sooner rather than later. All these current niggles this engine gives seems to get in the way of development to some extent. I could imagine a clean platform for you guys to work on would be a more appealing prospect for the future of the project.

I too have a feeling they will have issues with that name. hehe

Rocket \o/ !

Can`t wait to test / play!

PS: Rocket, i noticed you moved to another country, in 3 weeks time i will very close (work) - Can we remake that video (your avatar) with you and me as the actors haha!? :)

+1

That is the aim, that hive-reputation, once implemented, will be a public indicator of automated review at the database level.

How will we review our character data and how will it be linked to our forum account?

I frequently have connection problems since I live on a rural area, this means my connection drops pretty often to be up again a couple minutes later

I hope this is is going to be taken account of, since it might lead to many bans in areas with low quality lines

I think it would be possible to check if it's a player executed alt+f4, or the client has actually lost connection, so I imagine you wouldn't be affected, but I'm not sure if that's possible in DayZ.

Another reason for server hopping is finding a daylight server (I think it's a valid reason), some admins don't put the timezone on the name, and even if they do you have to calculate GMT or UTC + / -, most of the time I just connect randomnly until I find one.

How will we review our character data and how will it be linked to our forum account?

Like I said above, I'm just logging right now. Once we have a better picture of things, based on millions of records, we can better assess the next move. This is an example of why this experiment is so powerful, because we can gather all this kind of data and sure we have a good solution. ALT-F4 will be a work in progress system with no rash implementations, it will take many hotfixes/patches and probably continued dedication through-and-into a standalone product.

• Like 13

I think you're going about combating the alt +f4 problem in completely the wrong way.

4/5 if the servers I log into are laggy/desyncy crap, because there's no server oversight whatsoever.

So I'll be blacklisted as an alt + f4 abuser.

And it actually won't even stop people doing it in battle.

Because lets face it, even if someone logs out EVERY SINGLE TIME they get shot at, it'll still be like once per hour, max?

That looks legit to me, this is just going to fuck up other stuff.

There's so much to go wrong, I can't even believe you're considering this as a logical way to fix things.

Just stop people from leaving the game too quickly, problem fixed.

Why make a system so needlessly complex?

Especially with the dayz team being so TINY, you're woefully understaffed, and you'll fast find yourselves overloaded with 50,000 people complaining their ID has been blacklisted/listed as an exploiter?

This does NOTHING to stop people logging out during fights and will only, at best server to deter people from server hoping, but not even that much, since checking loot spawns takes half an hour at least.

Ridiculous.

• Like 12

I accept it is going to be a, well, bitch.

But we need to see what affect this kind of forced spawn will have on players. It will make dying more significant. We need to see what response this will actually have with the data, not just the QQ from people on the forums. It is like previous updates where we had to try controversial things. This update will, unfortunately, come in before we have had a chance to look at group spawn mechanics.

Heh, I know everything you do has a purpose from every other patch you have released, I've no problems with that, what I do personally, and this is speaking from a selfish point of view, is loot Cherno/Elektro looking out for other friendlies to have some fun with, this as you can imagine gets me killed "alot". That's where the problem arises, I will generally logout upon a death and call it a night, if I have an hour before work the next day, I'd pop on and do the same, if I knew I'd have to run from Kamenka to Cherno, that hour just wouldn't be enough so I can see myself thinking "I'll play some Saints Row instead" or something like that. This is as I said how I play, and how I enjoy the game.

Like you said though, it will be a bitch, and like always I know you have your reasons, just concerned for players like me with limited time on such a huge map being unable to enjoy it as much because of this, appreciate the reponse though!

• Like 1