ChinWooMan

Suggestion To Stop Boredom (Idea from Ammo) "Degrading Weapons"

This post was made by "Ammo"

"This is the exact reason there needs to be durability on everything. Items need to degrade until they are unusable and have to be scrapped. This should be with everything from night vision to backpacks. Obviously things will degrade at different rates and have different reasons for breaking. IE NVGs getting wet or battery leaking, backpacks tearing from zombie attacks. Perhaps some items that are broke can be converted into scrap metal or used for parts for other items."

This is a perfect perfect idea, by this all items would degrade while you use them.

For example: Woot I found an M4A3 ACOG!

an hour or two or how long it takes ot degrade later: God damnit it broke, I guess I'll have to find another one.

You see what I'm trying to say there? Not only does it stop boredom but weapons aren't kept permanent so one says "oh I have all the items in-game so I guess I'll have to quit" (Survivor's thought)

No don't be attachted to your gear because soon it will be degraded or lost.

This idea would make this game harder and bring less boredom.

Ghillie's won't be able to degrade nor cars :D

Edited by ChinWooMan
  • Like 11

This makes me happy. It's nice to know ones words and ideas are actually taken into account and thought about.

Thanks.

:beans: Tin of beans and a hug for you my friend.

• Like 1

This post was made by "Ammo"

"This is the exact reason there needs to be durability on everything. Items need to degrade until they are unusable and have to be scrapped. This should be with everything from night vision to backpacks. Obviously things will degrade at different rates and have different reasons for breaking. IE NVGs getting wet or battery leaking, backpacks tearing from zombie attacks. Perhaps some items that are broke can be converted into scrap metal or used for parts for other items."

This is a perfect perfect idea, by this all items would degrade while you use them.

For example: Woot I found an M4A3 ACOG!

an hour or two or how long it takes ot degrade later: God damnit it broke, I guess I'll have to find another one.

You see what I'm trying to say there? Not only does it stop boredom but weapons aren't kept permanent so one says "oh I have all the items in-game so I guess I'll have to quit" (Survivor's thought)

No don't be attachted to your gear because soon it will be degraded or lost.

This idea would make this game harder and bring less boredom.

Ghillie's won't be able to degrade nor cars :D

If you're getting bored it's b/c you run around the woods with your buddies playing grab @ss. Most of my clan has everything you could ever want in the game and we don't get bored. We jump servers and wage war against other clans. Feel free to invade cherno by yourself, see how long you can survive by playing legit. This game is awesome if you don't carebear.

I play solo on DayZ. Yes I do play legit, how wouldn't I? Yes I've gotten in a couple of firefights which everyone starts shooting each other around Cherno. And who said I want this to be carebear/or I'm carebeak, if I'm suggesting something to make the game harder and while having less boredom how would it be so?

Edited by ChinWooMan

Item wear and repair could be good. But, it needs to be realistic. Guns won't degrade for months, even getting wet with no maintenance, and nvgs should be water resistant. Car repair is already unrealistically demanding, meaning they break constantly for little to no reason.

Things do not 'degrade' IRL. They may require cleaning and maintainance, but they don't degrade. Realistic maintenance for weapons, power for electronic devices etc, would be authentic - unreversable deterioration from proper use would be completely unrealistic.

A set of NVGs will not 'degrade', nor would a GPS. They might get scratched, worn or dirty but degrade - no.

You use your mobile phone daily, scratch it, drop it, abuse it - does it degrade? No it's either working or broken, and if it's broken it's because you did something specific that the phone was not designed to handle.

• Like 2

Imagine Minecraft without degradable weapons? It would be boring aye?

Have my beans sir :D

I like this idea a lot. It would need some work, and there would have to be varying factors that damage different items. E.g. Shooting your gun will cause wear on its instruments (without proper maintenance). Taking a lot of hits from zombies/guns might cause damage to your backpack.

Certainly, there are no issues with weapons degrading in am atter of hours. Ofcourse it isn't realistic, but then players don't exist in the game world for 24hours of each day, doing things, so you need to accurately depict that with degradation that happens sooner than it might in the real world.

It's not just a question of boredom, it's the only way to curb down the proliferation of high tier weapons. Breaking weapons will force players to change weapon now and then and will justify the need for all those guns.

Edited by Lady Kyrah

Not sure I like the idea of suddenly losing all my gear out in the forest as if I were swimming just because my backpack "sprung a leak".

Require replacement batteries for NVG's would be ok. Just like gassing up a car.

Require a maintanance kit be used on guns would be ok. Adds another element and another item to find.

Degredation of clothing would be cool...everybody would then play a female character...

It's not just a question of boredom, it's the only way to curb down the proliferation of high tier weapons. Breaking weapons will force players to change weapon now and then and will justify the need for all those guns.

^ For exactly this reason, a thousand cans of beans and my daughter.

Not sure I like the idea of suddenly losing all my gear out in the forest as if I were swimming just because my backpack "sprung a leak".

Doesn't that happen anyway?

Require replacement batteries for NVG's would be ok. Just like gassing up a car.

Require a maintanance kit be used on guns would be ok. Adds another element and another item to find.

Degredation of clothing would be cool...everybody would then play a female character...

I'm not supporting the backpack leaking that much but. Why can't it happen? Maybe your rifle,your hatchet, knife or anything accidentally made a small cut on the backpack and breaks slowly. Just like your pockets in real life. Sometimes random holes make your Dimes fall out of your pants from your pockets.

Yes! This is what I want to say, I just want this idea to force me to find a new weapon.

repairing/maintaining weapons could be a good idea, as would the ability to make your own ghillie from your surroundings.

Fuck yeah! Urban guillie suit!

http://f00.inventors...sist_custom.jpg

I'll be safe in this... Until some thirsty noob decides to loot me.

Edited by Bribase
  • Like 2

I support this 100%

Aside from item degrading add in a chance for the item/weapon not to work if not maintained properly or often as well as a chance for it to break completely.

Items/weapons should have a maintenance level, lets say 100/100 for a Makarov for example. Everytime this weapon is used the level will start to decrease. Now lets say you want to maintain it since it's now 30/100 (has a high chance of not working properly), you'll need lets say a toolbox and now after maintaining, it is now 80/80. Every time it is maintain the total value decreases until it finally breaks. Though I would like for them to last fairly long and not Dead Island where you had to repair your weapon after 30 mins of use.

Couple this feature with having a decrease in high value weapons = WIN!

Edited by jay.pis

instead of having degrading weapons, it would be more realistic to have to clean you stuff or it has a higher chance of jamming, like in real life. maybe the more you prone the more dirt gets in ur stuff, so the more you have to clean it, etc.

this idea adds realism, but i doubt itll be implemented

instead of having degrading weapons, it would be more realistic to have to clean you stuff or it has a higher chance of jamming, like in real life. maybe the more you prone the more dirt gets in ur stuff, so the more you have to clean it, etc.

this idea adds realism, but i doubt itll be implemented

well its still a game, so often change of weapons is fine. we can just pretend that weaopns already in not good condition, when you find it.

In my personal opinion this idea is pretty stupid. In real life your gun doesn't just fall into tiny little pieces even if you don't take care of it. It's one thing to have to field strip your gun and oil it every few thousand rounds (LIKE AN AR-15 CAN LAST IRL), it's something else when your gun randomly turns to dust in an hour. Guns don't do that and it'd be pretty retarded if in a middle of a shootout my gun dissapears when I take care of it.

Tell you what, try this out on your own. Start a timer and after having every gun you come across for two hours drop it and all the ammo you have then forget about it. Even if you're being shot at. Tell me how much fun it is.

Well if were going to be realistic about this game then why do i die of starvation if i dont eat for 2 hours?

Why must i drink a soda every 30 mins when im driving around in a car.

Why does my car explode when i try to cross a bridge.

if the condition degrades very slowly then im all for it, but if its like i shoot 2 mags and it just disappears then its just going to ruin the experience.

Tell you what, try this out on your own. Start a timer and after having every gun you come across for two hours drop it and all the ammo you have then forget about it. Even if you're being shot at. Tell me how much fun it is.

What's the difference between that and running out of ammo?

I don't think we're talking about having the weapon break after even 2 hours, more like 6-8 hours at the most.

• Like 1