ChinWooMan

Suggestion To Stop Boredom (Idea from Ammo) "Degrading Weapons"

I don't know about this idea. Guns don't normally last you a couple hours IRL.

When did this game become IRL?...

Maybe I should complain about the glitchiness of the zombies in game and that they don't work the same as zombies IRL....

Edited by jay.pis

2-3 hours is a bit short. If i were to fly to Afghanistan, i would hope a real m4 would last me a bit longer. Arma IS supposed to be a simulator, mind you. Albeit Dayz is not, i still wouldnt like to have to camp near NWAF just to get a gun every time i log in. Also... it seems a bit fallout-ish. But that may be a good thing. Since you can only carry 2 guns (p/s) unless you have a large pack, you would have to be able to repair weapons laying on the ground and not in your inventory

When did this game become IRL?...

Maybe I should complain about the glitchiness of the zombies in game and that they don't work the same as zombies IRL....

It's not a game its a "Anti-Game" and its supposed to be realistic, not fun.

It's not a game its a "Anti-Game" and its supposed to be realistic, not fun.

It's also supposed to be unforgiving.

I think your gear should break, brings more QQ.

Actually i think it should be a percentage after each uses, something like 0.5-1% every shot, Which means your fancy new DMR could break after the first shot :D

instead of having degrading weapons, it would be more realistic to have to clean you stuff or it has a higher chance of jamming, like in real life. maybe the more you prone the more dirt gets in ur stuff, so the more you have to clean it, etc.

this idea adds realism, but i doubt itll be implemented

I agree. Make gun degradations = more weapon jams, and add a cleaning kit as a lootable item you can find (military spawn, maybe?). Put in a command for the player to unjam the weapon (animation), so that a jammed weapon is not permanently broken, just a heartstopping malfunction in a firefight.

FarCry 2 had degradable guns that would rust and become prone to jamming. It was an added element of tension when you knew your weapon wasn't reliable.

It's also supposed to be unforgiving.

I think your gear should break, brings more QQ.

Actually i think it should be a percentage after each uses, something like 0.5-1% every shot, Which means your fancy new DMR could break after the first shot :D

Little harsh... an entire 1% per shot?

im thinking like 0.1% per shot. (For fully auto weapons).

Weapons dont break after 100 shots.

Nor do they after 1000 shots, but we can assume they arent new when you find them.

For some of you saying "The weapon will degrade while I'm in a fight NO!"

Why not just add a 100/100 Durability or anything to show how damaged the weapon is. This suggestion is just to force people to never stop finding weapons due to them degrading. I specifiacally wrote this suggestion because I've seen lots of threads "I'm bored".

Edit: Why are some people stopping suggestions because they arn't real. Jesus the "Anti-Game" doesn't have to be fully fully real. I'm just making a suggestion to make the "Anti-Game" more hardcore.

Edited by ChinWooMan

Personally, I'd be OK with weapons malfunctioning (and other weapon maintenance problems, I dunno, I'm no engineer) if I didn't properly maintain them, and scopes cracking/getting dirty, flashlights breaking, and all that "good" stuff. Running out of matches, damaging my knife, needing batteries for my NVG's are all also great ideas. I'm not so into the whole guns "Degrading", though - just getting damaged and having malfunctions, etc., it's a little unrealistic, and I'd like to follow DayZ's particular brand of pseudo-realism.

Maining weapons - yes

them actually breaking & you need to find another one - no

Don't forget those AK -47's u see today were made during the cold war, they still work today for those african gang wars(lacking a better word to name it)

I promise you, those 12 year old child soldiers don't know anything about cleaning their gun, yet it still works.

M1911? invented in, yeah ... 1911, even those actually made during WWI still mostly work.

So, i love ur idea but i suggest the following instead:

• Make people 'maintain' weapon instead.
  • No maintan? Have Weapon jam.(UMAD America's Army players?), so the more red ur weapon bar is, the more chance of weapon jam
  • Give different guns different ratio's of degrading speed (AR family of weapons are alot better now, but during the vietnam war soldiers threw them away and used captured AK-47's instead because they were as reliable as a random bandit)

Anything that forces me into going somewhere I'd rather not, whether it's for a new box of matches, a clean rifle that won't jam on me the next time I fire it or for a fresh canteen because my current one has become unusable because I filled it at a contaminated water hole or it's just developed a hole in it, is all good to me.

Having the need to maintain or replace weapons and equipment, rather than just vehicles and ammo would be good.

For those of you who played System Shock 2 back in the day, you'll know how an overwrought maintenance mechanic can ruin things. Most people would end up just running around with an axe because they are prolific.

I'm all for a gun maintenance mechanic, but it doesn't need to be that harsh to affect people's play-styles. The more fouled a gun gets with burnt powder, the more inaccurate/prone to jam it gets. Make cleaning kits a loot-able item, and care-bears like me have come out of the woods to get them.

It should also affect each gun differently. A revolver isn't going to jam at all from being dirty, yet a 1911 or Marakov will. Enfields, Winchesters and AKs won't be affected by fouling as much as any NATO weapon. Adding in random jamming where it makes sense along with a decrease in accuracy all as a function of how dirty a weapon is would be a welcome addition in my book.

But as far as weapon breaking goes, that doesn't make as much sense. I've inherited firearms from my grandfather that all work well, and they have all been shot regularly in their lifetime.

Edited by The Power Nap
  • Like 1

I know I'm late to this topic, but I have been thinking exactly along these lines about degradable weapons.

It was implemented really well in Far Cry 2.

Here the weapon would degrade by use, and by exposure, and it's accuracy and susceptibilty to jams, or even backfires, was dependant in the amount of wear.

You could see the fitness of your weapon by the amount of rust displayed on it.

You could alleviate both wear and lack of accuracy by obtaining manuals on gun maintenance and shooting.

But eventually your weapon would wear out, and you would have to obtain a new one.

This would also have you scavenging for weapons with less wear than your own, so you could swap to a slightly better one, before it went boom in your face. :-)

I would love mechanics like that included in the game.

Absolutely YES to durability to items. (A complete mystery why its not in the game already tbh...?)