rocket

The One, The Only: I HATE TEMP THREAD

The concept of temperature is interesting and it'll be a good addition after some fine tuning, however, the introduction and current state of fire wood needlessly complicates the warming process. Even with the coming hatchet, it's still another piece of the puzzle you need in order to do something that boy scouts can do with mere twigs and leaves.

Rather than have fire wood being a per-requisite for a fire, make it something you can add to a fire before you light it in order to make it burn hotter / longer / more resistant to rain. With that, fire wood will be something useful rather than something you have to get just because.

i like temperature at the moment, i feel it should degrate a little slower, about 33% but apart from that it works great!

I think temperature is an interesting mechanic, but it's obviously not fully fleshed out yet. Things I'd like to see:

- Temperature drops much slower on most nights, especially if you find a jacket.

- On some nights, the temperature drops much faster (cold snaps) and on those nights players will really need to huddle around a fire together.

- On regular nights, the main effect you'll get from being outside is an increased hunger rate. The lower your temperature gets, the faster you get hungry.

- You should be able to survive one regular night if you've got a jacket, but you'll come out with very low temps and will get very hungry very quickly.

- On colder nights, if you stay out for too long without a tent and a jacket, or running around wearing a jacket, or simply sitting by a fire, your temp will drop to zero and you will die.

- After a certain threshold, lower temperature will cause you to move more and more sluggishly, reload slower, eat slower, etc.

- When it rains, you MUST seek shelter (tent or building) or wear a waterproof jacket. If you don't, your temp is going to drop extremely fast (well, as fast as it does now in the rain, because that's already extremely fast).

I guess you can keep the 'infection' (minor cold...) thing, but make it have a reduced chance of occurring and make it so that you can eventually fight it off naturally (by warming up and staying warm for a few days). Perhaps make it a punishment for staying out multiple nights - maybe if your temp is below a certain point too many nights in a row, you have a much greater chance of getting sick.

I think that making temperature less of an annoyance and more of a killer would make it better. Right now, it's really just an annoying inconvenience that a lot of people have to deal with simply because they spawned on the coast and couldn't find a house that was enter-able. What I think it should be, is something that is more of a long term concern with dire consequences, not an easy-to-get-in-a-short-time cold. Make it truly punish people who insist on staying out for a large portion of the night, rather than minorly punish anyone who refuses to sit around a fire for the entire night.

I appreciate the effort in creating more elements for players to manage and regulate, but I would just ask, Rocket, that you prioritize these mechanics and release these elements with their counterparts.

Temperature and getting sick is fine as long as there is an acceptable way to manage:

- weighing time and effort spent in finding and building a fire

- mitigating exposure by equipment: rain gear, coats, boots, etc...

- or when all else fails, leave up to chance with pain killers and a fire.

Camping and survival techniques happens to be a hobby of mine, and I wish I could build a fire out of fallen limbs around dormant trees, or given enough limbs make a simple lean-to for shelter. I just need a good knife to baton firewood.

Temperature should decrease much more slowly. The leaves haven't started falling off the trees in Chernarus: it's September at the latest. And I'm wearing a vest.

It honestly hasn't bothered me too much. Obviously it's still in it's very early stages and will be fleshed out more as the alpha continues, but as of now, it's a pretty minor feature that I've been able to ignore in the 5-6 hours that I've played since the patch.

My biggest issue with the temperature system right now is how the cold mechanics make no sense. Assuming this is just a regular strain of the common cold, there's no reason our bodies wouldn't be able to fight it off unless our immune systems were compromised. There's also the issue of colds not being something you get from cold weather and the term "cold" is a result of ignorance and also that antibiotics cannot help with viral infections.

Wouldn't it make more sense that matches are consumable? While wood isn't needed as an item seeing as it's mostly a forested area, and twigs, bark, leaves, branches are pretty much at arms reach.

Couple of things from a healthcare professional:

1) Cold weather doesn't make you ill, other people do.

2) If you catch a cold, antibiotics won't help at all. If you are lucky you get a diarrhea from eating antibiotics

3) Incubation period for common cold is around two days

So my only problem with the Temperature is that I need Antibiotics... which I've never found... to cure a cold.

I would like to see the ability to cure a cold by getting your body temperature back up to 100. You can easily catch a cold if your Temp falls again.

Wouldn't it make more sense that matches are consumable? While wood isn't needed as an item seeing as it's mostly a forested area' date=' and twigs, bark, leaves, branches are pretty much at arms reach.

[/quote']

Yeah does make sense. Around 40 matches per box.

Let me explain why I think that this Rocket dude and the team(?) made wood spawn in residential buildings and not the woods, an please read it very carefully now: As DayZ is in alpha, a very early playable state, there are no spawns set in the woods yet, there are only the old spawns like the ones you've seen in supermarkets or offices etc. In Arma2 you don't have loots spawns at all so the programmers had to make them inside the buildings in all towns of Chernarus. Now the campfires need wood, obviously but instead of programming NEW spawns in the woods, which there never has been, they used the loot spawns inside buildings because it's more convenient for now. Now I don't think it's meant to stay like this forever, I am pretty sure because DayZ is still in ALPHA. And it's just logic that the wood spawns inside buildings FOR NOW because have you ever seen a binocular spawn inside the woods? Yeah... because there are no loot spawns there.

But for the Temperature system it's just dropping way too fast. I have hopes for this to be changed too.

20070862.jpg

When I first got on yesterday I was in the middle of nowhere and it was raining. I rapidly got sick and wasnt in any condition to find wood. Mates got some wood and we lit a fire. I was on a temp of 15 by then and sick, the fire only got me to a temp of 65......I was a bit peeved by that. Once the rain stopped and was running around in with the sun out I saw my temp slowly increased.

Played the rest of the evening found some wood for when and if I need it and now the feature doesn't bother me at all. Increasing the spawn rate of wood would be nice other than that I'm happy

When I first got on yesterday I was in the middle of nowhere and it was raining. I rapidly got sick and wasnt in any condition to find wood. Mates got some wood and we lit a fire. I was on a temp of 15 by then and sick' date=' the fire only got me to a temp of 65......I was a bit peeved by that. Once the rain stopped and was running around in with the sun out I saw my temp slowly increased.

Played the rest of the evening found some wood for when and if I need it and now the feature doesn't bother me at all. Increasing the spawn rate of wood would be nice other than that I'm happy

[/quote']

You will have to keep feeding the fire else it goes out and it should raise your temp to 100 if you feed it enough. Also supermarkets hold a lot of wood. I once found 4 woodpiles in one market.

When I first got on yesterday I was in the middle of nowhere and it was raining. I rapidly got sick and wasnt in any condition to find wood. Mates got some wood and we lit a fire. I was on a temp of 15 by then and sick' date=' the fire only got me to a temp of 65......I was a bit peeved by that. Once the rain stopped and was running around in with the sun out I saw my temp slowly increased.

[/quote']

You will have to keep feeding the fire else it goes out and it should raise your temp to 100 if you feed it enough. Also supermarkets hold a lot of wood. I once found 4 woodpiles in one market.

As I said I was in the middle of nowhere, not sure where wood could be found and the rate I was going down meant it wouldnt be a good idea to enter a town to look.

As for fire burn time it would be nice if one bundle of wood gets you back to 100%, increase the rate of warming?

I was surprised today... I had played at night and watched while even running a marathon how fast it dropped and then how slow it returned while in broad daylight in middle of day... HOWEVER:

What really surprised me was while in the afternoong laying prone for a extended period of time I realized it had began to drop again... I was moving away anyhow and just jogging around the hill raised it a point or two.. though that was actually pretty cool :)

Hi,

Been playing for a little while now and really enjoyed the game. I think it is awesome that I've been having the most fun at my pc in a long long time with a simple and well implemented game that lets the player decide for the most part how they want to engage with the game. Excellent work!

However with the recent patch it just isn't as fun. Temperature levels drop way to quickly in nearly all conditions, I'm running in open ground on a sunny day with no wind, temperature drops. It's raining so I get inside, temperature drops.

It has essentially removed the ability to stalk stealthily through the woods to a remote village, explore and weigh up the risks and benefits of entering that village for supplies. Now you must because by the time you get to the next village ou won't be able to aim. Before the patch this was happening to an extent with water/drinks but I feel that he balance was really good there as it added a perfect level of tension and pressure. With he temp and sickness it is currently too much. I can't go explore the NW area because I will freeze, so I'm forced into the coast and town areas.

I've adapted my play style as a result, I can survive at the moment but I'm playing recklessly, the odds are so heavily stacked against me now that frankly I don't care if I live or die. I run into the big city alone and raid, showing little caution, because the game mechanic punishes patience. Thinking how I would react in a real zombie apocalypse it was closer to a reality situation before the temp thing.

Saying this though, I like the idea of infection and cure. Gettin infected by a zombie is a cool idea because it rewards the more cautious, those that sneak or engage successfully with zombies, and punishes those that have enough ammo and bandages not to care how close the zombies get.

Perhaps your temperature could just drop if you got infected, it could be a symptom of the infection? Fire and warmth could help stave of the infection but not cure it, for that you need the antibiotic?

This is an awesome feature, and would like to see more survival elements added. What dayz lacks right now is actually having objectives and shit you need to worry about. Food and water is so easy to find and keeping your blood high is easy enough if you aren't stupid. Actually having to make an effort to survive will give people shit to do instead of just looking for military gear or killing other players. What would be nice however is a more obvious indication of how warm your current position is.

You all whine about people deathmatching, not working together and just playing camp on a tall building with a sniper rifle. This is the sort of shit that stop players doing that so much. Its a zombie survival game, deal with it.

if i get in a car on rainy day... will i get warm?

whiskey and overdose medicines could change character as well as killig ppl... ( not in to a bandit but in to a junkey.. and the abilities would be decreased when nod drinkin to long. -getting tirred faster, aiming problems-

wood should be able to gather easier in forrest ( maybe not as a pile... it could be colectable by dead tree? or bush?

--- and one more... ( if i would hunting and sneaking in forrest long time ( 10 - 20 animals gutted?20 campfires burned, no loot gatherred) ,could i get a ghili suit sometime? ( just on upper body? ) as a hunter charakter?

i dream of it ( crossbow and a ghilie!!!!! and vodka!

! one more think: wildlife danger: bears snakes, wild dogs, fox( could atack in groups 2- 3 ) animals could atack when injuried?

-(sorry for my english )-

did i say that DAY Z is the best of all?

I think the idea of temperature is good, but the implementation needs serious work. In the effort to make all sorts of other things "survivalist" (concussions, broken bones, blood loss, etc.), the temperature mechanic is completely ridiculous.

I would not use this as a mechanic for getting sick (as already mentioned, you don't get "colds" just from being cold). Having to find wood in a heavily forested area is also a bit inane.

But the temperature drop is still really ridiculous. No one is going to freeze themselves into hypothermia on even a cold September/October night of 40F/3C.

My recommendation:

Have the "default" temperature be 50 (or 100 and have it go up to 200). Exertion during daylight should increase temperature substantially (probably to the tune of 1-3 per minute), unless it's raining. Rain and night should slowly drop temperature (slower than the current 1 temp per minute, probably), even if sprinting (humans being one of the best mammals at long-distance running, after all). Staying still during the day should tend to normalize your temperature.

Going too hot should cause symptoms of heat stroke and heat exhaustion (blurred vision, muscle spasms and cramps (slowed running) eventually leading to fainting).

Going too cold should cause shivers and possibly some minor noise making (clattering inventory, chattering teeth and the like) once temperature gets low enough.

The benefit is that staying outside when it's dark and rainy will tend to make you cold; running excessively in daylight will tend you towards heat exhaustion.

Illness...well the illness mechanic can surely find better uses. Give it to someone who's chronically cold (pneumonia) or give it a chance of manifesting in people who have been injured, with more blood loss tending towards a higher chance of infections and illness.

The cold and flu are mostly from human-human and animal-human transmission and are not really related to body temperature. It is a neat, useful mechanic, but if you're going to pretend any semblance of survivalist mechanics is doesn't make much sense in its current iteration.

I HATE the temp thing.

Why.

1. I want to play the game.. not sitt around the campfire singing "cumba ya"..

2.Wood.. I can understand the need for wood.. but the 80% of the map is WOOD!! so why the F***K do i need to sneak in to a barn or house to get wood.. Even better i found a pile of chopped wood next to a axe out side of the barn that is just there for show.. WTF(sorry for rude language)..

3. Wood takes up 2... 2 slots in the gear...not fun at all..

4. Antibiotics.. raided 2 hospitals last night.. no antibiotics.. I am quite shure that antibiotics are more common that lets say: 1 bloodbags, 2 epipens, 3 morphine injectors in the "real" world..

Yes i know its a alpha.. and i LOVE this mod.. but the temp thing is just breaking it totaly..

That was my little rant..

I love the work you do rocket.. Keep it up.. Keep killing us.. We still love you for it..

Thinker

1. campfires can be nice social element, imagine you find someone sitting around campfire and you sit along and say Hi, I'm friendly ;)

2. wood gonna be fixed, already stated by rocket

3. wood takes 2 slots is ok, wood is pretty big

4. antibiotics to rare - I agree 100%, I have couple of packs of antibiotics, some painkillers, some bandages, I have no morphine or epi :)

1. campfires can be nice social element' date=' imagine you find someone sitting around campfire and you sit along and say Hi, I'm friendly ;)

2. wood gonna be fixed, already stated by rocket

3. wood takes 2 slots is ok, wood is pretty big

4. antibiotics to rare - I agree 100%, I have couple of packs of antibiotics, some painkillers, some bandages, I have no morphine or epi :)

[/quote']

It's more like you sit near your campfire and some asshole comes up from behind and shoots you in the head. Then he enjoys your fire and eats all your beanz.

The problem with temperature and it's current design direction is that it's antithetical to everything that makes DayZ so great, by which I mean the naturalistic design behind the world and the actions a player takes within it as opposed to the arbitrary videogamey mechanic of temperature. Oh hey, industrial areas will have industrial gear, military installations will have armaments, civilian structures have supplies etc etc... The world is presented to you as a reasonable facsimile of the real world, things make sense without having to resort to a rule set being spelled out and enforced on the player, simply do what makes sense to you if you were in that situation and chances are it works, this is what has led to everybody having their own DayZ story or experience to share which in turn has attracted others to play it for themselves and continue the cycle.

The temperature thing however has no basis in reality, a little rain in a land of perpetual late summer does not a life threatening environment make. It's the kind of terrible video game logic that is removing agency from the player and enforcing a top down vision for how you should be playing and where you should be playing. I understand the "it's an ALPHA!! this is just an experiment" line of reasoning, but not every idea is worth exploring.

Until you are on an engine that supports seasonal changes, or you create your own map that's set in a winter environment, no amount of tweaking the temperature system will ever make it anything other than an out of place nuisance and a waste of valuable time and effort that undermines the incredible experience you've been shaping.