Sign in to follow this  
Hatchet_Man

Immersive Roleplay

Because sometimes it's about the little things.

Ideas that would suit solo play or small groups.

Stapling or Stitching Wounds

When below 6000 blood, more extreme measures for wound-binding could be developed. Perhaps the more you bleed out, the more that regular bandaging only slows bleeding rather than curing it.

The answer?

Staple Gun.

- Inventory Slots: 1

- Stacks of: 5 (~ 30 staples)

- Effect(s) on Player: Cures Bleeding, Causes Pain

- Duration: Instant

- Location(s): Industrial, Medical, Residential/Civilian

- Rarity: Common/Moderate

post-61332-0-27716000-1342975187_thumb.jpg

So it's a two-step phase of stapling your wounds and then taking painkillers. But let's face it, if you're down that low, you're probably already shaking.

Mouse wheel over your buddy to "Staple Wounds" if you have no bandages, or even if you do have bandages. Hnn-hn-hn. Wait...did you hear something? Naw, it was probably a squirrel.

Surgical Sutures (Needle & thread).

As above, but maybe this kit comes with an anti-septic pad that prevents infection, unlike staples. I read somewhere that Rocket's brother is a virologist, so I surmise there's a whole lot of opportunity to develop the infection/disease thing further.

Sharpening of Hatchets (Whooaa Mama!)

- Grinding Wheel + Scrap Metal + Toolbox = Axe Grinder

- Sharper Hatchets deliver ~40-50 critical hits before losing their edge again

- Foot-pedal powered

- Damage is x1.5 (or x2) for duration

- I love my hatchet

- Please don't take my hatchet

post-61332-0-75405300-1342975197_thumb.jpg

Additional Food Sources

- Cans of dog food give ~100-150 blood

- Smoke grenade under a beehive to pacify the bees, then swipe their honey for +100 blood

Someone mentioned growing vegetables, and I like this, but why can't vegetables also spawn in back gardens and fields near smaller towns?

If you had a Cooking Pot, you could combine them to make a stew.

Cooking Pot + Fire + Raw Meat + Water + Potato + Carrot + whatever* = Stew

- Cures hunger and thirst

- Gives ~1500-2000 blood

- * these could be leeks or beets or pumpkin or even wild herbs

- Would need a more developed crafting system

- Women with hatchets will dig you

Fertilizer Bomb

Bags of fertilizer could spawn in farms and residential sheds.

Whiskey Bottle + Fertilizer + Fuel + wick* = Fertilizer Bomb

- Thermal effect

- Concussive effect

- Similar to grenade, but homemade

- Alternatives might be bleach or chlorine or some other household product

- * this could be cloth or even a road flare

Ok, I hear some jabbering round back. High time my hatchet met with some temporal lobes.

Y'all take care now. Hnn-hn-hn... :beans:

post-61332-0-27716000-1342975187_thumb.j

post-61332-0-75405300-1342975197_thumb.j

Edited by Hatchet_Man
  • Like 4

Maybe not crafting, but combining, the way you can already repair cars and other vehicles.

I like it all.

As with a lot of these suggestions, it seems to be a bit outside the limits of the ARMA 2 engine, but I'm no expert.

Rocket's baby is destined for standalone. He's talked extensively about it and how he would like to see the player base controlling what happens inside the world of DayZ.

This project should be measured by what it can build. By what it can accomplish.

If I were a desperate, starving survivor of an apocalypse, I would become resourceful pretty quick, or die.

I don't think crafting or combining is up for debate. I think it's intuitive and inevitable.

This isn't Minecraft. If you want to craft in a post-apocalyptic world, go and play MineZ.

I despise when people do this shit. Just stop, please... you sound like a 2 year old.

Using this "oh but such-and-such is like that" argument is gay and stupid.

Minecraft didn't invent "Crafting"... and "combining" or "crafting" is the same thing, no matter what symmantec candy coating you want to give it.

I guess DayZ shouldn't be 3D because Quake was 3D, and it's not Quake.

I like a lot of aspects of this idea. Stapling yourself would probably do more harm than good, since medical staples are usually used for things like bones, not fleshy bleeding wounds. I would suggest soucher kits or even super glue.

The sharpeneding of weapons is also a great idea, and would love to see more things in the game have a repair/upgrade feature (much like repairing cars... upgrading... crafting.... same fuckin' shit) where certain things are needed to achieve the result. Also, as much as a despise durability options in games, I would also like to see the occasinal axe handle snap after you've used it 2000 times, or a gun jam up and bend a firing pin after a few hundred rounds and not being cleaned.

So much potential... but wait, Skyrim has axes.

~Sol

Edited by Sol
  • Like 4

I despise when people do this shit. Just stop, please... you sound like a 2 year old.

Minecraft didn't invent "Crafting"... and "combining" or "crafting" is the same thing, no matter what symmantec candy coating you want to give it.

~Sol

couldent have said it better myself

I like a lot of aspects of this idea. Stapling yourself would probably do more harm than good, since medical staples are usually used for things like bones, not fleshy bleeding wounds. I would suggest soucher kits or even super glue.

The sharpeneding of weapons is also a great idea, and would love to see more things in the game have a repair/upgrade feature (much like repairing cars... upgrading... crafting.... same fuckin' shit) where certain things are needed to achieve the result. Also, as much as a despise durability options in games, I would also like to see the occasinal axe handle snap after you've used it 2000 times, or a gun jam up and bend a firing pin after a few hundred rounds and not being cleaned.

So much potential... but wait, Skyrim has axes.

~Sol

Sir, I present you with my beans.

I have been wanting to suggest a "weapons degrade" option for a while, (melee and military).

The unique property DayZ has going for it, is uncertainty in gameplay. That's what creates immersion. Fear and paranoia are so crucial. I think the more that players are disempowered, the better, whatever your play style is.

Whether you're a hatchet-wielding hippy who likes to crack zombie skulls, or a tooled-up super soldier, I think everyone who enters the DayZ world needs to understand that uncertainty, while unpopular to some, is vital to emergent game play.

In fact, here. Have a second can of beans. :beans: :beans: :)

Edited by Hatchet_Man

Staple gun: no

Sharpening Hatchet: no

Simply useless.

Good sir,

As my forum title states, this is about immersive roleplay. Not power-gaming. If I find a sniper rile, I may just use it. If I find a DMR or grenade launcher, I may just use it.

My point about sharpening hatchets is to do with personal preference. It gives me something to do. A task when I'm playing solo or with a couple of friends who prefer to avoid death matches. And if I'm in close quarter combat with a Z or human for that matter, I want to dispatch the subject quickly and quietly, so as not to attract trouble.

Maybe what this game needs is a scythe.

I could upgrade to a scythe, no problem.

''whatever'' in stew recipe = beanz

I think the sharpening axes thing makes a lot of sense, make melee hits and chopping trees use up durability (probably ammo) and then using the axe grinder can reload the axe. not sure about the staple gun thing lol.

What if bandaging stopped bleeding down to around 4k blood, after that it just slows it and you need to find a med kit and stitch up the wound.

Anybody read the excellent book "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy, or seen the film adaptation starring Viggo Mortensen? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0898367/

A truly immersive and heartbreaking story about a man and his boy surviving an apocalypse.

No zombies, but bandits aplenty. And a revolver, and a staple gun.

I recommend this to any DayZ player. Watch it. Be moved by it. Then adjust your view of what DayZ can be.

Because sometimes it's about the little things.

Ideas that would suit solo play or small groups.

Stapling or Stitching Wounds

When below 6000 blood, more extreme measures for wound-binding could be developed. Perhaps the more you bleed out, the more that regular bandaging only slows bleeding rather than curing it.

The answer?

Staple Gun.

- Inventory Slots: 1

- Stacks of: 5 (~ 30 staples)

- Effect(s) on Player: Cures Bleeding, Causes Pain

- Duration: Instant

- Location(s): Industrial, Medical, Residential/Civilian

- Rarity: Common/Moderate

post-61332-0-27716000-1342975187_thumb.jpg

So it's a two-step phase of stapling your wounds and then taking painkillers. But let's face it, if you're down that low, you're probably already shaking.

Mouse wheel over your buddy to "Staple Wounds" if you have no bandages, or even if you do have bandages. Hnn-hn-hn. Wait...did you hear something? Naw, it was probably a squirrel.

Surgical Sutures (Needle & thread).

As above, but maybe this kit comes with an anti-septic pad that prevents infection, unlike staples. I read somewhere that Rocket's brother is a virologist, so I surmise there's a whole lot of opportunity to develop the infection/disease thing further.

Sharpening of Hatchets (Whooaa Mama!)

- Grinding Wheel + Scrap Metal + Toolbox = Axe Grinder

- Sharper Hatchets deliver ~40-50 critical hits before losing their edge again

- Foot-pedal powered

- Damage is x1.5 (or x2) for duration

- I love my hatchet

- Please don't take my hatchet

post-61332-0-75405300-1342975197_thumb.jpg

Additional Food Sources

- Cans of dog food give ~100-150 blood

- Smoke grenade under a beehive to pacify the bees, then swipe their honey for +100 blood

Someone mentioned growing vegetables, and I like this, but why can't vegetables also spawn in back gardens and fields near smaller towns?

If you had a Cooking Pot, you could combine them to make a stew.

Cooking Pot + Fire + Raw Meat + Water + Potato + Carrot + whatever* = Stew

- Cures hunger and thirst

- Gives ~1500-2000 blood

- * these could be leeks or beets or pumpkin or even wild herbs

- Would need a more developed crafting system

- Women with hatchets will dig you

Fertilizer Bomb

Bags of fertilizer could spawn in farms and residential sheds.

Whiskey Bottle + Fertilizer + Fuel + wick* = Fertilizer Bomb

- Thermal effect

- Concussive effect

- Similar to grenade, but homemade

- Alternatives might be bleach or chlorine or some other household product

- * this could be cloth or even a road flare

Ok, I hear some jabbering round back. High time my hatchet met with some temporal lobes.

Y'all take care now. Hnn-hn-hn... :beans:

I only approve of the stew, the others seem little bit too unrealistic/authentic. Also, you just gave me a craving for stew, I hope you're happy. <_<

A good range of feedback so far. It just reinforces the immensity and diversity of gameplay.

Maybe a "wilderness cookbook" could spawn in farmhouses?

Jamie Oliver's Apocalypse Survival Guide. :P

Edited by Hatchet_Man

Plenty of pumpkins in game already.

If you have the hunting knife you could carve a jack-o-lantern, make a fortifying soup and roast the seeds with a little sea-salt.

Veg trifecta.

I'll get my coat.

• Like 1

If I want to go and combine weapons and shit, I would just go play Dead Rising.

Crafting is fine, as long as it's simple and minimal, like a Molotov cocktail. Things like a grinding wheel are not simple.

growing your own food sources is where the game needs to go!! how can you rebuild in a post apololyptic world if all you can scavenge for are beans afterall.

• Like 1

growing your own food sources is where the game needs to go!! how can you rebuild in a post apocalyptic world if all you can scavenge for are beans afterall.

Exactly.

I don't know why some folks are so opposed to crafting or re-building. It makes sense if everything around you is broken or run-down.

If they removed the ability to repair vehicles, the "crafting deniers" would complain about that too.

I'm not suggesting we go the way of Minecraft. But being able to create basic, useful items would make DayZ appeal to a wider spectrum of players.

Plus there's street cred to be had when making your own stuff. It's why we stopped being cavemen. Oh wait, some of us are *still* cavemen. :rolleyes:

Ai a like these ideas XD Ive had similar sentiments towards activities or areas of interest suited for different sized groups. This would be perfect for lone wolves or small groups to sustain themselves, aswell as possibly providing farms and timber mills as extra areas of interest and occupation XD

+1

Edited by 3rdParty
  • Like 1

I have seen 'The Road' and want to get around to reading it, and I agree that it is an excelent window/filter to view dayZ through. I think there has to be a hell of alot more focus on survival aspects of the game as, really, the death/chaos aspect has been VERY well implemented and needs little else. If the human race behaved (blindly KoS) without any thought of survival there would be one inevitable end - I tried to make this a mechanic with my 'End game to ...' thread in my sig, it is a bit 'loose' but remove child killing and it might be a good idea :) .

EDIT: Fixed the links in my sig. They should work now :)

Edited by Hoik
  • Like 1