Sign in to follow this  
Flying Mathias

Mousing over a road sign should show the text in English.

As the title says; mousing over a road sign should show the text in English.(Chernogorsk instead of Черногорск for example.) Like, when you scroll with your mouse wheel when you're looking at a gun, it will tell you what it's name is.

I know it's not realistic, but there's a point where gameplay mechanics need to hold your hand a bit, to represent things your character should be able to do, but a game can't (Like peripheral vision being shown by 3rd person mode). I mean, our characters are Chernarusians, right? I'd say that it's completely reasonable that our characters would be able to read Cyrillic text, then, unless we never learned how to read.

And personally, I don't feel like learning a new alphabet just to play a game effectively.

Edited by Flying Mathias
  • Like 4

I think this feature would only be added in Regular Difficulty, +1 from me!

• Like 1

I think this feature would only be added in Regular Difficulty, +1 from me!

Before you can play on Veteran you have to pass a basic Russian understanding exam.

• Like 1

Sorry, no.

While this would be a nice addition for beginners, this mod is still based on Arma 2. And there you don't play a Chernarussian.

Just use dayzdb.com/map if you're not familiar with the map/city names.

I've learned Russian in school :-P

But the point with your character being a native russian speaker, is a good one.

That language issue also counts for Arma 2 in general. When you play as a russian or takistan(ian) soldier, you should also understand the AI sentences, since it's your own native language in that situation (i.e. the AI and your own radio sentences should be english instead of russian or persian)

While this would be a nice addition for beginners, this mod is still based on Arma 2. And there you don't play a Chernarussian.

So there is no native population left after the apocalypse? Only tourists and foreign soldiers? Further, the main feature of Arma are not the default campaigns, but the editor :-)

Edited by RogueTrooper

When you play as a russian or takistan(ian) soldier, you should also understand the AI sentences, since it's your own native language in that situation (i.e. the AI and your own radio sentences should be english instead of russian or persian)

Sorry for being nitpicky, but the denononym for Pakistan, Afghanistan, etc, is the country's name plus I. So someone from Pakistan would be Pakistani.

The more you know! :D

It's not that hard to learn...

http://translit.cc/

Thanks for the link, it'll be really useful when I'm playing. And I know that I really should get to learning Cyrillic, but this feature would still be great for newbies, and people like me who are just lazy.

As the title says; mousing over a road sign should show the text in English.(Chernogorsk instead of Черногорск for example.) Like, when you scroll with your mouse wheel when you're looking at a gun, it will tell you what it's name is.

I know it's not realistic, but there's a point where gameplay mechanics need to hold your hand a bit, to represent things your character should be able to do, but a game can't (Like peripheral vision being shown by 3rd person mode). I mean, our characters are Chernarusians, right? I'd say that it's completely reasonable that our characters would be able to read Cyrillic text, then, unless we never learned how to read.

And personally, I don't feel like learning a new alphabet just to play a game effectively.

Honestly YES i mean whoever said that the players are not Chernarusians,( WHAT) did we hear about zombies and all fly here in Helis to save the day NO we didnt becasue then id start with a heli a group of people and a gun. So ya this should be in all game modes i mean you shouldnt have to use an outside source to read the signs in a game. if u disagree with me at least put up a good argument

Edited by Rob1

Thankfully, my friend and I have a Russian friend and we've recently got him to play the game with us. If we're lost, we ask him to read the sign. XD

Thankfully, my friend and I have a Russian friend and we've recently got him to play the game with us. If we're lost, we ask him to read the sign. XD

Ha, one of my friends took a vacation to Russia and he can read Cyrillic. He's not much for video games, though, so my friends and I just drag him into skype calls to read out the signs for us.

i think its better now, more realistic, more challange, you have to remeber original names like.. instead Kamarovo - kamapobo , Pavlovo- Nabnobo etc

i think its better now, more realistic, more challange, you have to remeber original names like.. instead Kamarovo - kamapobo , Pavlovo- Nabnobo etc

But we're Chernarusians, we should be able to read our own language without having to learn it in real life. After all, if our characters are all military veterans who can tell the name of a gun and ammunition just by looking at it, it's not unrealistic to assume that we could do the same with our own native tongue.

but there's a point where gameplay mechanics need to hold your hand a bit

Yeah, that is what games call a tutorial.

You should try correlating the 'picture' of the words with your position. This, on top of some half learned geography skills are how you navigate IRL, so I see no need for this to be introduced in any servers other than perhaps beginner...

Yeah, that is what games call a tutorial.

You should try correlating the 'picture' of the words with your position. This, on top of some half learned geography skills are how you navigate IRL, so I see no need for this to be introduced in any servers other than perhaps beginner...

I don't mean in a way to make the game easier (Although it can be used for that), they're gameplay mechanics that are used to represent things happening, in the gameworld, to your character, that players cannot reliably tell without some "hand holding".

It can be used to make a game easier, like my suggestion, or adding in some sort of mechanic to represent peripheral vision, or more difficult, like the hunger and thirst metres.

As for your point about navigation, I try to use out-of-game maps as little as possible, but that's just me. And just because there is a solution does not mean that a much easier, more user-friendly solution cannot be made.

Edited by Flying Mathias

The person in that game, is you. You need to acquire the ability to read a map yourself, or have someone teach you.

I guess you're right though... We should make some user-friendly zombies too!

The person in that game, is you. You need to acquire the ability to read a map yourself, or have someone teach you.

I guess you're right though... We should make some user-friendly zombies too!

But, I wouldn't be in a fictional country. Our characters should be able to read Cyrillic letters without us having too. The game already tells you what a gun's name is, what ammunition you need, etc. That's a bit unrealistic to me, but I understand it's there for gameplay purposes. Can the same not be said about reading a sign?