Arnoldio

Life appreciation

I know this is an alpha, yes. But one aspect wich needs to be covered is fear of death. At the moment, there is very little.

Given that you are a veteran player, you die and spawn. Get to the nearest shack, get a winchester, kill everythng, ammo is abundant, go after players, become a bandit, got NW airfield, get some better gear, and then hunt players feeling allmighty. But them players who you hunt, possibly people who spawned, can just spawn again. If they die, they die, tough luck, wasted 10 minutes watlking from spawn to death.

Even if you are geared up bandit/survivor, you can go all out rampage... After death, in 2 hrs, you have all the gear you need to repeat the process.

Good, rocket's proof of concept works, but, as its more of an experiment than a game, its turning into a horribly gamey game on a level of pacman really.

I dont have the exact remedy, but feel free to add ideas, thats why this forums is here. (These changes should not be really introduced untill a stable version is built.)

- Spawn time. Long spawntime. Im thinking 30-60 minutes, depending on the humanity (negative humanity, longer respawn and vice versa, as ith not knowing friend from foe at a distance, bandits have nothing to loose when the skins get removed). Imagine, youre playing with your friends, and if you die, they lose an important "asset", and you lose gaming time. That would greatly increase fear... Maybe to the point that only crazy/ballsy people go on killing sprees that can be very rewarding in this case or deadly as hell. With less people recklessly killing, the normal ones would create more bonds and socialize, defend from those lunatics. I had full gear, got into the crashed chopper, died, respawned, went straight back, recollected my gear and voila, lost nothing but some time. With such long spawn times, there is a high chance your body gets looted... another thing to be afraid.

- Less weapons and ammo. In conjunction with the idea above, less weapons and ammo provide aditional paranoia if getting killed. As it is now, if somebody braggs about how he has an M4 CCO, oh well, give me 30 minutes in the barracks and ill be on his level. People with elite equipment will be either heroes or wanted. Atm, everybody has the OP winchester, or some army grade stuff... there is no challenge.

Think about it. With such penalties and limits, you would have to organise a group, have great skill or balls to get through and "win". Now you just need time. Compare it to real life... why isnt everybody a millionare? You must do something risky (most of the time) to become one, or it will take lots and lots of time or both even. People would automatically stick together, Chernogorsk would probably become the meka of surivors, afreid to move out but rather stick together.. some kind of safe zone, even though one can turn rouge anytime.

Many other systems need to be implemented/fixed together with this, as player name recognition of some sort, that is discussed in some other thread, (Click here for my post), and zombies not spawning in 50-100m range, that is allready getting fixed.

no to spawn time

you already lose too much when you die, as more versions come out there will be more reason to live.

Agree with Maxipower. Death is the ultimate equalizer in this game and as more features are added to encourage surviving (discoverable player skins is a push in this direction) the more people will put surviving on the top of their priorities and less on taking unnecessary risks.

no to spawn time

you already lose too much when you die' date=' as more versions come out there will be more reason to live.

[/quote']

What exactly do you lose? Your winchester that spawns in the nearest barn after you respawn... or maybe the M4 that spawns at the barracks...

Half hour to one hour to respawn? Everyone would quit the game.

This is not a game. I like to think of it as a simulation of real life scenario. Currently, when you spawn, your goal is probably to get a weapon, maybe a buddy and go kill zombies, get better gear... In real life there would be a lot les guns, and people would hide at home, gather in big groups with some who have courage to defend the bigger groups. Ofcourse some would go bandits aswell... I believe rocket is going into this direction, to see what would potentially happen in a real-life like scenarion.. would groups form, would it be chaos... Now, its just chaos, with groups organized to kill innocent people. IRL, even bandits wouldnt waste precious ammo on people they dont need to, but rather go after big game with epic gear. Since verybody can have epic hgear, nothing is left to do except kill innocents...

Glanced over them. Not bad, iked some. First thing that needs to be done is to get fear of death ingame. Atm there is none, its like COD. Spawn, die, spawn, die, 2 hrs go by, go eat and sleep.

Good' date=' rocket's proof of concept works, but, as its more of an experiment than a game, its turning into a horribly gamey game on a level of pacman really.

[/quote']

Stupidest comment I have read in months.

I tend to agree with most of the op ideas

At first when I had no idea of where or how often loot spawned I was real careful where I went and how I moved now that I know that guns and equipment abund in specific places, I'm way less careful, it was much more fun for me in the begging

Death should be horrible and it should make you rage and cry for extended periods of time

I'm growing extremely tired of games where death just means less score or even worse nothing at all

And I agree that for veteran players death in dayz means absolutely nothing

30 to 60 minutes to respawn? Why would I ever agree to this? Waiting is not a game!

Something like that would make me quit the game immediately.

I agree that there should be a waiting period on spawn. As has been suggested on numerous other occasions, it would put the fear of death in players. Denying them something that they want is really the only way to make this an effective tactic. Also, reduce starting gear so that it is more difficult to go rambo and makarov spam enemies and zombies. The player should always be fearful and scared. Remove flares and start them with a flashlight in their backpack. This would make the game feel more claustrophobic for starting players and be more realistic. More people have flashlights at home than road flares.

I think the easy way to solve this problem is by making areas with higher end gear infested by many more zombies that spawn more quickly. It stands to reason that a military base would have been crewed by more than just the 40 zombies that wander the airfield. Increase the zombie horde in the airfield to 250+ and make it a damn challenge to mow down an enormous horde to access the best equipment.

30 to 60 minutes to respawn? Why would I ever agree to this? Waiting is not a game!

No, no. DayZ is not a game.

How many times will i have to repeat that.

Also, you dont need to wait. You could go paly/do something else in the meantime. See youre afraid of me even suggesting that change, let alone being implemented. People would be scared shitless. But first bugs need to go.

Definitely yes to a spawn timer. But DO NOT base it on humanity. Why should a successful bandit that's managed to stay alive for 10 hours be punished in comparison with a successful survivor that did the same thing, just in a different way?

Base it on number of death within the last x hours of play instead. If you do stupid things and die often you get punished. If you continue to do stupid things you get punished harder. If you smarten up you just loose your gear. Natural selection.

Less spawning equipment: like that one too. Cut the number of Makarov mags in half. Give us some wood instead. Remove the flairs and give us a flashlight, BUT make it use it's batteries WAY faster. Reduce ammo spawns. They are quite ridiculous.

And NVGs should use batteries too and run out quite fast (faster than flashlight) since they are way OP. But that's a different topic.

Net effect: "spawn, gun, die, spawn, gun, die, spawn, gun, find sth actually good / kill enough players to survive" gets much more difficult (you have less ammo so have to use it more intelligently and death no longer is a magic free source of Makarovs + ammo).

Survive and find good stuff and become the worst bandit of all. Or survive and become the hunter that supplies your entire group with cowmeat. But most of all survive.

Both griefing and disregard for player life will fix themselfs by then.

Definitely yes to a spawn timer. But DO NOT base it on humanity. Why should a successful bandit that's managed to stay alive for 10 hours be punished in comparison with a successful survivor that did the same thing' date=' just in a different way?

Base it on number of death within the last x hours of play instead. If you do stupid things and die often you get punished. If you continue to do stupid things you get punished harder. If you smarten up you just loose your gear. Natural selection.

[/quote']

I just thought of putting humanity to use, since its in the game. Because being a bandit is simply easy mode. You lose absolutely nothing, good or bad bandit. With the removal of skins, it will be even easier. Lets compare.

Survivor

-Needs to loot equipment

-Needs to hold fire

-Has to defend/avoid/kill bandits

-Is not a target

Bandit

+Easily steal equipment

+No need to hold fire

+Can choose who to target/avoid

-Is a target (Even this one is a + without skins)

And its not a punishment for being a bandit because i like that people can kill people, but there is no moral weight behind the actions of a bandit/murderer. What humanity-based spawntime would do, is punish bad bandits because the good ones shouldnt die at all. Survival of the fittest. Bandits dont just become murderers, but survivors with a different intention. Now if a bandit player is willing to kill people for fun, he will ingore the whatever spawntime awaits him, but everybody else will feel the impact/relief of his death. This and the lesser loot in my first post would severely reduce the balls everybody has, including me, and im not even a bandit.

I am trying to increase the survival rate by lessening the DM this has become with actions that cannot be ported from real life.

Ideally, there should be 1 life per GUID and thats it. (given that everything is polished and zombies are not derp and there is no lag) That would really bring up interesting stuff. As soon as ou have instant spawns, its run and gun mayhem.

It makes the game less fun for bandits, but not survivors. Therefore it's a punishment for bandits. I don't think bandits or the bandits way of life is OP, therefore nerfing them but not survivors doesn't make sense to me.

No fear of death? I fear death all the time, so much so that I have to have complete silence when playing so I can hear as well as I possibly can. Especially at night. Other games I like to have music playing in the background, and again, especially in horror games. Just because I'm a scaredy cat and hate being frightened I play music over the jump scares in games, but I keep playing them because on some sick level in the end I like it. But with DayZ, I have to have every advantage I can get, because I am so afraid of dying. If I have music on, or if the TV is going, I will probably die from something I didn't hear coming.

So TL;DR: There is, at least for me, a real fear of dying.

So do i, but thats because we are immersed in the game. Many people take it as game, play to win, something on a 2d screen, wich guns and killing people.

No' date=' no. DayZ is not a game.

How many times will i have to repeat that.

[/quote']

Of course it's a game. What the hell?

It's a video game, you fool! You press a button and the guy shoots, hits another dude in the head and a counter goes up!

You can repeat a statement all you want, if you don't give an argument that actually makes sense, it's really just a blurb.

Also, you dont need to wait. You could go paly/do something else in the meantime.

Of course I can do something else. But if I don't want to do something else, what then? See, you didn't think of that. I want to direct my own entertainment at the least in the sense of when I play what. If something refuses to let me play although it is there to play for everyone else, I feel rejected and act accordingly, meaning I tag the experience as shitty and eventually will stop playing it to avoid having a bad time. Rocket science it is not.

See youre afraid of me even suggesting that change, let alone being implemented. People would be scared shitless. But first bugs need to go.

Noone is scared. It is a counterproductive idea, and that's obvious to anyone who has ever wanted to play something, but couldn't because the server was down or whatever.

Don't you understand that it's the same as "game is broken, game is shit" to the player when you refuse entry every time you die, regardless of the fact that it's actually a really intricate mechanic that makes sense to people who take this thing a little too seriously?

You're the worst for thinking this is awesome. You're completely misguided and patting yourself on the back for it. Someone should make a play about your suggestion becoming the next big thing in video games. It's for people who are a little too much into Schadenfreude.

Good' date=' rocket's proof of concept works, but, as its more of an experiment than a game, its turning into a horribly gamey game on a level of pacman really.

[/quote']

I shall quote Rocket from one of his interviews.

"One of the key things that I wanted to get is that I wanted the player to have that sense of desperation when they started out. I didn’t want any sense of balance at all. I wanted it to be an anti-game. I wanted the player to enter the world and say “Wow, everything is out to get me!” and to feel that tension the whole way through. But I also wanted them to feel a tension from the environment, from the weather, from the land."

Go on, keep posting nonconstructive stuff, youre the idiot at the end, not me. :*

[/quote']

I shall quote Rocket from one of his interviews.

"One of the key things that I wanted to get is that I wanted the player to have that sense of desperation when they started out. I didn’t want any sense of balance at all. I wanted it to be an anti-game. I wanted the player to enter the world and say “Wow, everything is out to get me!” and to feel that tension the whole way through. But I also wanted them to feel a tension from the environment, from the weather, from the land."

Go on, keep posting nonconstructive stuff, youre the idiot at the end, not me. :*

Respectfully, you're not understanding what has been said in there. Rocket clearly said anti-game to refer to what is currently being made in the AAA industry. He didn't mean "this is not a game".

And if he did, then he'd be wrong. It's a game, clearly. You have a failstate (death). You have risk-reward. You have an input-output-cycle. You have persona vs environment. You have competition. All characteristics of games.

Well, youre also playing it, so it is a game.

I am tired of bouncing them words left and right with each post bending the meaning, because we wont get far. I know what i meant, i know what you meant.

First off, I have never played any game that took 30 minutes to respawn, much less any longer. Worst I can think of is 5 minutes, and that first 5 minutes is just enough for a bathroom break but the second 5 minutes is just a headache. Any longer and you lose players, plain as that. I would scratch the idea of a timer off the list, but I -do- think that you should have some hard choices to make when you die.

If you die, you can choose to respawn immediately and with normal new-survivor gear at a random location (excluding the 3 closest spawn locations), OR, to respawn closer to your death location (i.e. closest spawn location), but with a brief respawn timer (2 minutes for survivors, 4 for bandits) and they will respawn either with no weapon or no ammo.

Survivors(bandits) should like this, because often they will die to zombies(survivors/other bandits) and would prefer to rejoin close by and try to reclaim their goodies, or they may die to something more intimidating and would wish to spawn further away. The timer is to prevent people getting bumrushed by vengeful players (and we all know that bandits are slightly more aggressive about reclaiming stuff from others), with the weapon/or/ammo bit thrown in as the price for respawning closer.