Sign in to follow this  
TimF

Bandits - another whiner

I've had awesome fun with this game, working with friends and a few strangers, surviving against all odds etc. I'm totally OK with having PVP and the constant threat of bandits but twice in 2 nights now I have been sniped in the back in tiny remote towns & wilderness areas by someone I couldn't even see - and I am a cautiously paranoid player. After spending hours looking for gear having to start from scratch again is getting a bit old - it just isn't fun or challenging. I know this game isn't necessarily meant to be "fun" but when this happens it just makes me want to quit the game for the night.

My suggestion would be tone down PVP damage. Make it just a bit harder to kill someone. Maybe remove some of the high powered weapons or at least make them as rare as hens teeth. It would be way more fun taking on a rag tag bunch of bandits with pistols and shotties where I have a chance of applying some strategy to survive. Maybe reduce the amount of ammo available too so the bandits actually have to weigh up using the bullets to kill people.

/flamesuit on

/equip Flamethrower

Welcome to dayZ.

Pvp damage is fine.

Another one of THOSE threads (and replies)

Yup I feel dirty even posting about this.

I've been playing solidly for a few weeks and loving it. But I think it is valid feedback to say that getting arbitrarily killed without having a chance to stop it takes away from the game.

Maybe the thing is that in real life most people don't behave like this because there are consequences to actions. In the game there are no negative consequences. Don't really know what the answer is though.

If you didnt get shot, you wouldnt start again and some of the most fun ive had has been at the start of a new spawn.

Well, for all we know it was for target practice. I mean I do that too. :/

Getting killed sucks.

Doing this, or altering pvp... And in my opinion they might as well just stp developing the mod.

And this is from a guy that spends almost all of his time NOT encountering other players.

You know, my initial reaction is to flame and troll you briefly before I move on... but I actually had a similar thought last night. While I, like you, have no issue with the PvP and banditry, I feel like military grade weapons and ammunition are a bit too commonplace. I kind of feel like functioning military grade gear should be very difficult to obtain and ammunition for all weaponry should be greatly reduced. Logically speaking I'd imagine a great deal of ammunition was expended trying to thwart the zombie outbreak and considering all us "looters" roaming around I think it should be a bit more scarce.

• Like 3

/equip Flamethrower

Welcome to dayZ.

Pvp damage is fine.

Another one of THOSE threads (and replies)

That's a bit harsh, I know there's a lot of threads about this but that shouldn't be ignored as it's clearly something a lot of people have issues with. Tims point seems sensible that it essentially gets bit "grindy" having to spend 2 hours getting shit together after being repeatedly shot by snipers... I'm sure a lot of people would be more happy about dieing if it had been a more fulfilling encounter, not with a player they never even see. I'm not saying there's any obvious solution to this which wouldn't be a detriment to the rest of the game but it's clearly a problem for a lot of players.

I actually kind of agree.

Those anti-materiel sniper rifles are ridiculously powerful. Get ambushed by a sniper with rangefinder or good idea of how far he is shooting (protip: maps help a lot) and unless you're moving laterally, any completely incompetent player will still one-hit kill you. Even if you have SVD or rangefinder and some other lower caliber sniper rifle you'll usually have to get a headshot to kill with the first shot. Most snipers aren't zeroable anyway so hitting someone 400m+ away to head on first shot is actually somewhat skillful even if they stand still. Even with zeroing head is quite a small target at 400m+. I've never actually died to an anti-materiel sniper rifle, but I sniped people for a few hours with M107 and rangefinder I looted off some badly hidden sniper and it was just ridiculously good weapon. Then I gave it to a friend and went to fetch myself an assault rifle since those are so much more fun.

In general, however, I believe damage in pvp is fine. Combat in DayZ is much about knowing your surroundings too. Don't send your whole squad in a stack - leave someone as lookout. Besides, even from AKM and such you'll need good shots to kill. I do agree with making the military weapons even rarer though. Sure, currently tents dupe stuff so people have endless supplies of military stuff, but honestly, I have never actually had to use Lee Enfield or Winchester or any of the shotguns for long since there's always AK74 or M4A1 or AKM that's easy to find. Often something better. Honestly though making spawns rarer themselves wouldn't probably be that good idea. The reason all the assault rifles are so common is that you basically have endless ammo anyway if you don't waste your clips. If you couldn't magically refill your ammunition you'd actually have to run around getting more ammo, and if you happen to use ammo fairly much, you could probably actually run out (though it's worth noting that STANAG, AKM, AK and DMR clips are relatively common, but probably not common enough for a squad at least if they all use the same clips).

But I mean, I sure as hell would've thrown my M4A1 CCO SD away ages ago if my ammo didn't magically respawn. Or well, I've doubled my clip count so I would've picked it up from my tent again, but at least I would've had to use other weapons for a while when I run out of ammo since STANAG SD is so much rarer than normal STANAG. Worst part is, I don't really try to conserve ammo for the magical refill. I just try to keep my fullest clip on my weapon all the time so I won't run out of ammo during a firefight as easily, which does the same thing.

Edited by Elmokki

there should be body armor, so that you dont die from 1 hit.

The PvP Makes the mod.

After I've got a Hatchet or any sort of firearm, zombie's posses a low threat, even without a weapon it's easy to get out of the LoS and instantly lose them.

But when you see a player, no matter if your armed or not, they posses a threat. They get you scared, they get your heart racing and they make you work.

The PvP Makes the mod.

After I've got a Hatchet or any sort of firearm, zombie's posses a low threat, even without a weapon it's easy to get out of the LoS and instantly lose them.

But when you see a player, no matter if your armed or not, they posses a threat. They get you scared, they get your heart racing and they make you work.

This. Though I don't agree with coloured text, the message is good.

PVP is the only real threat in DayZ - a real persistant threat should I say, since zombies are a threat at < 9000 blood.

Nerfing guns and making PVP less of a thing is not a good idea imho

You know, my initial reaction is to flame and troll you briefly before I move on... but I actually had a similar thought last night. While I, like you, have no issue with the PvP and banditry, I feel like military grade weapons and ammunition are a bit too commonplace. I kind of feel like functioning military grade gear should be very difficult to obtain and ammunition for all weaponry should be greatly reduced. Logically speaking I'd imagine a great deal of ammunition was expended trying to thwart the zombie outbreak and considering all us "looters" roaming around I think it should be a bit more scarce.

I agree with this post military loot is way to easy to get your hands on. There should be possible to gain limited weaponry from police stations and perhaps a prison, hunter lodge etc. Sure the military has been in the cities to help but still finding an ak-47 in a dear stand? ( i dont know perhaps they hunt with those in russia?)

It sucks to start from scratch and losing all your good stuff,but it's very staisfactory when you find your first weapon or first map or compass,it's a pretty good feeling.

I read a suggestion about different servers, If i want a good game i play on regular servers, chances of being killed on them via PvP is smaller than on Vet servers (Not sure if this is an unwritten rule but it works for me)

If I wanna go all guns blazing and sheep raping Its Vet server, knowing full well it's each to his own.

Have you tried that? You may find it more enjoyable.

p.s. Ive also noticed that When i use Six the servers are all pretty much full (More risk) However when using Commander I can choose practically empty ones (Steady away), Ideal for team work and planning missions. Plus you can loot up pretty quickly for a better chance to survive

Edited by Michaelvoodoo25

I think if reduce the number of high end weapons and ammo as others have suggested would really help, bandits and pvp is cool but make them work for it for christs sake... Make them have confront who it is there trying to kill.

Apart from that the zombies as a whole need to be made more of a threat in general without completing fucking over newly spawned players which no easy task. It's going to take a lot of balancing.

I think all that needs to happen is to remove sniper rifles from the game. Not that i've ever been shot by one, but fat teenagers camping high traffic areas with military snipers seems to be such an issue with everyone.

Edited by z-layrex

People forget this is a mod based on a military simulator. A SIMULATOR. Oh, you want to tone down the damage done from a 50. cal, certainly Sir, let me just make it so it takes three 50. cals to the chest to drop you, then you can bleed out. The damage is fine, it's some player's mindset's which need to change.

People forget this is a mod based on a military simulator. A SIMULATOR. Oh, you want to tone down the damage done from a 50. cal, certainly Sir, let me just make it so it takes three 50. cals to the chest to drop you, then you can bleed out. The damage is fine, it's some player's mindset's which need to change.

The mod is not realistic at all. *facepalm* Tell me more how you can carry a rotor part in your backpack and repair a heli alone in 10 seconds.

Can people stop being morons for a sec here?

It's not realistic in that sense yes. Obviously. It's a game.

And just because it's a mod for a military simulator doesn't mean that this is a military simulator.

That's like saying that Warcraft 3 maps are only RTS. When they're so much more.

This. Though I don't agree with coloured text, the message is good.

PVP is the only real threat in DayZ - a real persistant threat should I say, since zombies are a threat at < 9000 blood.

Nerfing guns and making PVP less of a thing is not a good idea imho

I agree with this post. My only concern is how easy it is to get your hands on a stockpile of weapons and ammunition. Just recently, I had a tent loaded with 2 M107s, an AS50, a DMR, an SVD Camo, M16A1 M203, MP5A5SD, 2 M9SDs, an M4A1 CCO SD, a handful of frags, NVGs, Rangefinders, etc etc... Meanwhile this stuff all just sits in my tents because wandering through Elektro/Cherno for all of 5 minutes will yield me a fairly serviceable gun I can then use to put a hole in someone's face and then BAM, I suddenly have military grade gear and plenty of ammunition. I don't promote the nerfing of PvP or support any sort of reward/punishment system, but I still think getting your hands on decent gear is too easy in the game's current incarnation.

I agree with this post. My only concern is how easy it is to get your hands on a stockpile of weapons and ammunition. Just recently, I had a tent loaded with 2 M107s, an AS50, a DMR, an SVD Camo, M16A1 M203, MP5A5SD, 2 M9SDs, an M4A1 CCO SD, a handful of frags, NVGs, Rangefinders, etc etc... Meanwhile this stuff all just sits in my tents because wandering through Elektro/Cherno for all of 5 minutes will yield me a fairly serviceable gun I can then use to put a hole in someone's face and then BAM, I suddenly have military grade gear and plenty of ammunition. I don't promote the nerfing of PvP or support any sort of reward/punishment system, but I still think getting your hands on decent gear is too easy in the game's current incarnation.

Exactly this. Military grade weapons should be rarer!

Exactly this. Military grade weapons should be rarer!

Lee Enfield OP <3