Satire (DayZ)

An open letter to the silent majority

I completely agree to OP' date=' my gaming history started with Battlefield 2 and after finding the Project Reality mod for it I was completely hooked. I heard of ArmA before, but it never really interested me as I had exactly what I wanted in BF2: PR, then I read about DayZ on RockPaperShotgun and decided with a couple of friends to buy ArmA and try it out.

And oh my god, this game is the most intense and amazing gaming experience I've ever had. I purchased ArmA 5 days ago and already have over 70 hours in-game on Steam and all that is thanks to DayZ, I have to say this has to be the most amazing mod ever created simply because of its simplicity. There is no real objective other than surviving yet players create their own goals and its astonishing watching how the world plays out and players creating their own communities and factions.

Rocket, you have created a incredibly fantastic mod here, its heaps more enjoyable even in its alpha stage than almost all tripple-A games out there. And I hope you will keep working on it, don't let the whiny (for lack of better wording) CoD-XboxLive kiddies put you down with their endless stream of QQ.

[/quote']

This is so true.

+1 OP

+1 Rocket

he's yet to make me cry though, but bandits do that enough ;)

How about all of you stop sucking Rocket's dick and start giving constructive feedback.

How about all of you stop sucking Rocket's dick and start giving constructive feedback.

Can't we do both...? credit where credit's due, he deserves a little sucking.

There are only two kinds of DayZ players: Good alpha testers and bad alpha testers. Which one are you?

Luckily I registered sometime in the past 2 weeks because I really don't know if I'd bother if it was to just post this, BUT-

I read the OP and apologize for not sifting through the other 8-9 pages, but I just wanted to say you're right. Rocket doesn't seem like a dumb guy by any means, though I really don't know anything about him apart from what he mentions in the changelog (happy belated birthday br0ski), however, it's my opinion that he should take the large number of lurking users and guests as a sign of how successful this game is, has been, and will be.

Here we have 1600+ active users over the past 15 minutes and the bottom line is that the vast majority of those people aren't here to bitch or tell rocket what his next big move should be. They're here to do shit that is related to PLAYING THE GAME. Learning, solving errors, watching ep1c NVG sniperbandit420xx raiding militar baraks, that kind of thing. They don't care nearly as much about what's coming, because there is an infinitely high likelihood that it will be great, and the game is already great. Urrythingi' great.

Keep it up Rocket. The game is great. Don't lose YOUR vision.

Probably missed something, don't care. Game's fun as hell.

I have been lurking these forums and playing the whole time...and I finally read this post and thought...you know...he's right...

so many 'weirdos' ask stupid ass questions and don't bother to look around first for some answers...and it usually comes out as a bad thing.

ive played 40+ hrs...i bought steam not even 5days ago just for this...and its the best game experience i've ever had...trying to get into the middle of chern..without dying or getting shot by a bandit with 3000blood and not being able to see 50m infront of you...getting a blood bag and getting out healed...my god some of the BEST moments of gaming ive ever had...and the story is MINE.

Thank you Rocket...your experiment...is pure awesomeness :D

and thanks OP for this thread I hope this can get to 100+ pages just to show Rocket how much we love it!

Silent majority here. My first and only other post was about Chocodiles.

I come from a generation that liked to play games - not complain about them. I am having fun playing this game. Keep up the great work!

Silent majority checking in. No longer silent.

I agree with everything the OP said. Me and two other friends recently joined this game, and since then have had such a blast. We have internal discussions about the workings of the game all the time. I guess we should post about it as well.

Thanks, Rocket and team. (Team Rocket?)

+1 OP

+2 Rocket!

Only my second post on forums but want to add my support to Rocket, Devteam and the idea of a "Compliments" section.

DayZ is an incredibly immersive game the likes of which I have never experienced before. I can't stop playing it. I can't stop thinking about it when I'm not playing it!

I even get up early now to put in an extra hour or so, it really is that compelling.

I love it and the recent changes are fine with me (I finally found some matches!).

Keep up the good work.

Funny, I haven't really ever heard Rocket complain about the whining. Only Rocket worshipers whining about the whining on his behalf.

I registered here solely to say Bravo! to the Day Z devs. Sure, it's got bugs, like any alpha, but it's really quite amazing, and I'm enjoying it immensely. Keep on, good sirs.

I fully support the team that are working on this mod.

The temperature stuff needs some tweaking though. Perhaps if the temperature system responded to the actual temperature of the climate around you it would be more reasonable. If it was 90 degrees outside, the temperature gauge would read 90. If it was 50 degrees, it would read 50. A temperature could be selected for when the player starts coughing, and when they are in danger of catching the dreaded flu. The idea that it will just constantly fall while you are anywhere near a patch of grass is VERY alpha.

6 months down the line I think this will be a shining example of developer innovation, but the team need criticism from their fans to understand what is working, and what is not. I think the point of this thread is that raging about changes isn't the way to go about it, but polite and thoughtful comments are more likely to be given consideration.

This thread just screams to me, "Fallacy: False Dilemma".

Basically, the silent majority can be on either side. There can be just as many non-vocal people that are for as there are against. You do not have an accurate measure to read either side. And to be fair, there isn't only two sides to this.

There's things my friends and I bitch about with this mod amongst ourselves. We realize it's alpha and we're willing to wait and see how things progress if we don't like how something is working. So we don't come to the forums and complain about them. There's also plenty of people like us, who are patient and not going to make a stink while features are changing twice a week.

So in the end, I'm going to play the game with its flaws. I'll write bug reports and give technical feature reviews. Illustrating what a feature does, how it impacts game play and avoid my opinion on the feature.

at first my english is very limited and

Hi everyone.

just registered for this thread.

joined with the build 1.5.5 so i am somehow fresh meat ;)

i was always tempted to play arma2 but this MOD was the kickoff.

at first i just played the bootcamp.

how long was it ago that i played such a great and immersive game with deep controls.

im loving it to see the game make progress and Rocket is a really awesome guy. its still in early experimenting stage and i expect nothing more then it is now.

just make thermo sink slower (or maybe we can farm and cock a soup with yummy pumpkins and i hope the ziggzagg zombies somehow get fixed. maybe it should also possible to make them lose trace of you.

i hope he can fullfill HIS dream what he wants to achieve and make us survivalists happy. something i never really expirienced in this form and always wished inside that the day Z? will come.

i will try to engage in somemore threads.

if you see me in chernarus.i never shoot first. i am a loner but you should be damn careful. we can be very good partners/never friends and help us out but ill leave the choice to you if you want to try to hunt me down.

have a good time all.

But it tastes so damn good.

positive & constructive feedback=/=dick suckage. it doesnt must end in whining and insulting!QQ

congratulations! you just offered NOTHING usefull to this thread.

i bet you also post if we have well explained ideas what can happen with some mechanics etc and call us whiners and ungratefull for an alpha.

I wasn't going to bother creating an account until I found out Dayz is still in the Alpha stage, then I felt it was kind of my responsibility to join in and give whatever feedback and suggestions I could to help out.

I signed up for the forum when I saw this thread. :P This mod is all kinds of brilliant, and in the past few days it's given me more intense, memorable experiences than I've had in the last year of gaming. Thank you! Keep up the good work! Can't wait till beta. :3

Rock on, rocket.

Rocket on.

I am a part of the 99%.

I greatly enjoy the sandbox of the game. I may have got a primer in how to entertain myself from Eve Online (before this mod tore me away), so the lack of hand holding and "go here" works for me just fine and hopefully it will train a new group of people to a new type of game play.

Darkness: at first I was confused on what to do in the darkness. I couldn't see anything except for the flares strewn about. My first time at night I crawled to the flares hoping for some companions to hide behind. I became zombie dinner. I then learned how to cope with the night and began to enjoy it. The chances of people sighting you from across a field and in a forest decrease and you can crawl your way into any loot stash.

Trigger Happy Players: most players I have met have been friendly. Those that have decided they wanted my beans in the wilderness were handled... sometimes barely. For the times I've been quickly dispatched by another player, the times I've been able to co-operate with someone has more than made up for it. I am an all-costs co-operative player, I'll attempt to be friendly and take a bullet in the face long before I'll shoot on sight. That's what keeps me going.

Z density: I mostly play alone, except when I bump into a fellow friendly. The amount/behavior of Zs are just fine for me. I avoid conflict with the undead and crawl on my belly through towns and barns. If one sights me, I will run out of the area until I am clear from my shots gaining followers. The risk is exactly where I like it. Running into an empty town to have 3 Zs pop up in right in front of me just keeps things interesting.

Temperature: the addition was interesting. There is now another factor I have to keep in mind when running through the woods. Even though previously the sun wasn't increasing your temperature, I kind of liked it like that. Now with the sun increasing your body temperature, you have nothing to fear (that I've noticed) during the day. Stopping into a house or barn for a few minutes (to then be surrounded by Z) added a new element.

Server Response: each patch has seemed to decrease the amount of time waiting to load in and the overall stability of the connection. Now that I understand how connecting works (I.e. you wait until the server actually kicks you out) instead of thinking it was each individual server, the waiting has only increased my patience and puts me in the right frame of mind to play. It also adds weight to the "permadeath". If you were able to immediately respawn instead of having to go through the connection process again, there would be less of an incentive to be careful.

I hope I've addressed the major points that people are complaining about. The fact that the mod is only a few months old combined with the amount of stability that is already present is amazing. Thank you Dayz devs for creating a unique experience in every aspect of the experience. It is an experience that does not exist in any other game with all the parts (and "gripes") forming a great combination. I eagerly await the continued development and hope one day to be able to return to you, in some way, the fruits of your labors.

P.S. rocket, even though I'm convinced you're a Goon (why else would he create a mod that hates you and generates tears to fuel its development), it just goes to show you that the Goons are not as terrible for gaming as everyone thinks. They help build character.

I dunno but for what it's worth this is one of the greatest games I've ever played.

Notice I said "Game" and not "mod"

because this game shits on 99.9% of the games that come out on the mainstream market nowadays