Satire (DayZ)

An open letter to the silent majority

I'm pretty new to DayZ but I'm loving it even with the alpha-ness of the mod. This is a work in progress and it shows great potential. Ignore the haters!

Yes. This mod is SICK. I'm an old dog Arma player and this has breathed new life into the sim.

The last patch -1.57- was kind of rough, but it was still fun as hell. This is one of the best mods I've ever seen and its a 3 or 4 week old alpha. All my salutes to you and your team. Carry on.

+1 rocket, you make good games, keep it up!

(I complain a bit but its only out of a wish to see the mod grow better, hopefully some of my and others complaints have helped rocket to see where issues are affecting gameplay ect.)

People rarely communicate feedback when they are please unless pushed to do so. That's why many betas of games pop up screens requesting feedback often, as just having a "report feedback" button is not used as often as a more intrusive system.

That being said, this is a fantastic mod, and am planning on supporting it indefinitely (as who knows what the future holds.)

Excellent post OP, I had voiced a similar concern about 3-4 weeks ago, and it is still a concern to me.

I have faith in rocket keeping true to his mod, and his goals for it. I enjoy seeing the new content he is adding, and don't mind if things don't work so well the first time around. Today I logged in as soon as the 1.5.8.1 patch was on, and had a cough immediately. I could have been upset that I got screwed right off the bat, and came whining about it on the forum. But instead, I ran around giving "AIDS" to all my buddys and had a laugh about it. I knew that the feature would not stay as it was, rocket needed time to gather data and make some tweaks. If everybody just got offline, or didn't get anybody sick, how is he supposed to know what to change? I did my part getting him that data, and had a good time doing it.

Keep true to what your doing man, have fun with YOUR mod, as it is wholeheartedly yours to do with it as you please. I love the new gameplay mechanics, and the game feels more REAL already. Having to gather wood for a fire, is something that is a real necessity in a survival situation. Everybody sitting around the fire for a while is pretty cool too, it forces to you stop what your doing and bs with each other for a while. Kinda off topic, but the idea that he is implementing things that other people might hate or think was a dumb feature is awesome to me, and i want to see more of those ideas coming into the mod in the future. Love the work, love the mod, keep it up!

I' d also like to express, er, my fondness for that particular beer.

No... wait...

Just signed up to add my support to the sentiments of the OP's open letter. Loving the mod and losing many an hour of my life to it. By no means should people stop bringing isses to the fore, but have a think about the way in which you convey it.

Some people also seem to be struggling a bit with the new zealand sense of humour. Here in the south pacific we take the piss out of, well, everyone. It's supposed to be light hearted and funny, dont take offense so easily.

The only thing I need from this game now is for tents to not reset so often and it would be golden for me. This game/mod is already amazing and is something I have been wanting to see for quite some time.

Nobody notices the humble people who are enjoying a game, because they're not the ones running their mouths 24/7 about every little grievance or minor annoyance or it-has-to-be-done-this-way-only-this-way attitude on the forums. You're rad, silent folks.

Yeah, see that's the problem with the Internet. It democratizes everything, and much of the time in a really tedious way. With our whole "liberty and equality" politically correct progressive mindset people often believe that opinion is equal no matter the source. Knowledge and wisdom are often thrown out in general consensus for something funny, or passionately expressed (no matter how wrong) or just the usual sycophantic drawl. The big problem with this is that it destroys creativity. If the majority of people think something is a good idea, or a bad idea, then you're pooling opinions that have already been accepted - they've already been done. Creativity inherently involves risk because in its very nature, the idea is untested.

That's the secret to Rockets success, and his vision is also what has made this mod incredible. The big problem I have is that people don't often look at the problem as a means of "what can we expand" or "what can we deepen", they look at in terms of "what can we change" or "what can we balance". This pisses me off because you've already bought into an idea that is vastly enjoyable and immeasurably successful. When you ask for murdering to be disallowed, you're assuming it's a mistake on Rockets behalf, like an error that needs fixing. So instead of asking to deepen or widen the gaming experience, you're trying to hamper and restrict the vision and freedom of what bought you here in the first place. The reality is the mod has come this far already, all of rockets doing. His ability to resist the money grab should be evidence enough that he cares more about the vision than anything else, and that he of all people know where this is going, he's jut interested to see what people would like deepened or expanded on.

So yeah, this is not a democracy. It may look like one, but we're really ruled by a benevolent dictator. That is a good thing, because as YouTube comments have proven - there are a lot of morons in the world, and just because a lot of morons agree with them, doesn't make it any less moronic.

Nobody notices the humble people who are enjoying a game' date=' because they're not the ones running their mouths 24/7 about every little grievance or minor annoyance or it-has-to-be-done-this-way-only-this-way attitude on the forums. You're rad, silent folks.

[/quote']

Sometimes all you can say is QFT/This.

So yeah' date=' this is not a democracy. It may look like one, but we're really ruled by a benevolent dictator.

[/quote']

I am perfectly happy with that.

I completely agree with the OP. I enjoy the new additions to the mod, and just being part of this experiment.

DayZ is the biggest thing to come up for PCs in 2012

keep up the good work, and as the OP said, don't let the crying babies get you down.

Good work, Rocket.

This game is a good book on the shelf with terrible movies.

Brought me back to gaming, almost got a life before I discovered this mod, now I can't stop playing it with my friend. You have done a lot for the developers of Arma and I hope they support you and your team to help thurther this awesome mod which has brought a new meaning to survival games.

I completely agree with the OP. I enjoy the new additions to the mod' date=' and just being part of this experiment.

[/quote']

+1.

Just signed to show my support. :blush:

I completely agree to OP, my gaming history started with Battlefield 2 and after finding the Project Reality mod for it I was completely hooked. I heard of ArmA before, but it never really interested me as I had exactly what I wanted in BF2: PR, then I read about DayZ on RockPaperShotgun and decided with a couple of friends to buy ArmA and try it out.

And oh my god, this game is the most intense and amazing gaming experience I've ever had. I purchased ArmA 5 days ago and already have over 70 hours in-game on Steam and all that is thanks to DayZ, I have to say this has to be the most amazing mod ever created simply because of its simplicity. There is no real objective other than surviving yet players create their own goals and its astonishing watching how the world plays out and players creating their own communities and factions.

Rocket, you have created a incredibly fantastic mod here, its heaps more enjoyable even in its alpha stage than almost all tripple-A games out there. And I hope you will keep working on it, don't let the whiny (for lack of better wording) CoD-XboxLive kiddies put you down with their endless stream of QQ.