thehighexalted

New to DAYZ, regretting buy arma to play "the best zombie game"

This thread...... Wow

I know that feel bro. I felt the same way, but after a few days I was feeling better about it and finally I actually feel good about the game. I'm surprised that you haven't had server problems! I've been having them all day...

Apparently my comments are invisible. Sweet. /Foreveralone

have my beans :D

looks like he is starting to pick it up. see getting angry wont help you. stay calm be willing to learn the game and ull be right. I was the same when i saw DayZ i bought arma 2 + OA and went straight to DayZ. But i already knew what to do by watching DayZ Adventures :D

I wonder if we really need this kind of players.

You're aware this is an alpha? not even a beta, an ALPHA.

You're aware this is not a GAME but a MOD?

So until here, are you aware this is the ALPHA of a MOD?

Do you understand what it implies?

Are you aware the original game on wich was built dayz is a SIMULATION, coming from developpers with balls of lead, who are also developping military softwares for troop training manoeuvering, technical notices on the usability of military devices, and 3D awareness on the battlefield?

So in the end, are you aware you did not bought the latest Herp-Derp-AAA-for-kiddies-FPS and the mod you're playing is not the zombie mode of CoD?

I really wonder. I do.

And you should too.

• Like 3

dude there is alot more to arma than just dayz, look around the net, you might find something else to play with arma.

Dayz is alright but there are better implemented mods out for arma itself.

Hit G to open your inventory and right click your bandage to use it.

Scroll down/up then hit gear/pick up item to pick up different items. Once in the gear menu hit the "right arrow" next to the item name to put it in your inventory.

I'll link the tutorial I used. It's from a couple patches ago, so ignore the starting items, but all the controls are the same.

It seems you have others willing to help, and I won't repeat the other jibber jabber, just don't give up, you'll get it. I'll just add this, don't swim! It's not worth it, you can lose everything.

Edited by HerrJon

Why don't you just play the tutorial in Arma 2? It teaches you all the controls necessary to play DayZ.

Look he just bought ARMA 2 for DayZ, not for the missions and tutorials that are part of the base game. Stop suggesting such smart things right now, mkay? :-D

Why don't you just play the tutorial in Arma 2? It teaches you all the controls necessary to play DayZ.

This.

Also, played boot camp to understand weapons.

Very steep learning curve for the "tutorial" generation...

Since I'm old, I remember when we pirated games by handing disks around. How you played and learned games was, you loaded the game and then pressed keys randomly to see what happened. Eventually, you learned how things worked. There was no Internet, no forums to go to. This is a walk in the park, by comparison.

Go back and play Zork 2 without using any external sources, or Infidel, then come back and say this game is hard.

Edited by Disgraced
  • Like 1

Well I actually have never played ArmA II, I just watched a lot of different gameplay vids and that was kind of enough for me.

The game is hard, unforgiving and I fucking hate it. But still.. I love it so much.

• Like 1

It's incredible how retarded this generation of gamers is.

"Wah wah wah, I can't figure out basic controls to a game with tutorials built into it and a detailed control menu! This game sucks!"

Give me a fucking break. If you're THAT incompetent then you're right, perhaps the game isn't for you... jesus, I bought ArmA 2 for DayZ also. You know what I did to learn the completely unfamiliar controls? Played a couple of the tutorial missions, looked in the controls menu, and POW! somehow I magically play like a boss now... who knew.

P.S. I understand how some of the controls are a bit elusive, but for the most part if you can't figure out how to do basic shit than you're just special and should stick your head in a paper bag and set it on fire.

• Like 5

It's incredible how retarded this generation of gamers is.

"Wah wah wah, I can't figure out basic controls to a game with tutorials built into it and a detailed control menu! This game sucks!"

Give me a fucking break. If you're THAT incompetent then you're right, perhaps the game isn't for you... jesus, I bought ArmA 2 for DayZ also. You know what I did to learn the completely unfamiliar controls? Played a couple of the tutorial missions, looked in the controls menu, and POW! somehow I magically play like a boss now... who knew.

P.S. I understand how some of the controls are a bit elusive, but for the most part if you can't figure out how to do basic shit than you're just special and should stick your head in a paper bag and set it on fire.

Play like a boss... Funny.

I do, too... Until I don't.

So many times I like.... Spaz out and mean to jump up from a crouch and run like hell... And end up lying on the ground, opening my gear or giving my compass a good close look.

I'm yelling at my screen "run you stupid motherrfucker!!!" but my fingers are like..... Hurr durr.

Other times.. Yeah, pretty smooth.

I'm hoping some day to be able to use some of the particular key binds I've put in... But not yet.

Agree with the sentiment, though.

It's kind of like.... Some people want that immediate gratification of feeling like they "owned" the experience with little effort. Being in their own room, without outside input, any experience that rewards them with little food pellets (achievements, cinematics, gear, pixelated rewards), is what they crave. This mod obstinately refuses to give it to them.

The other thing that it takes away, along with an easy-glide reward system is progression that leads to a feeling of superiority.

In an MMO environment, I am led to feel skilled if I got lucky and got some ub�r loot in some dungeon or off of a player kill, or if I deeper my way to it by epic hours of grinding. In this mod, I can, if lucky. Not skilled. Lucky. Have the same equipment very rapidly that someone else may have played a dozen hours to get. Likewise, I can grab an enfiield in five minutes and kill a guy with a car and mil spec sniper rifle if I manage to get the drop.

This sits not well with most gamers. They are used to a feeling of superiority. They are used to saying "I put in X hours, therefore i am a superb player of this game" and it's NOT true here.

Hence, nerd rage.

Cognitive dissonance reigns.

I love it.. Agents of chaos, indeed.

Edited by Disgraced

Wait till he figures it out, gets some good gear then loses it all to a server reset, or just plain witchcraft!

Oh man the new players board is just full of qq lately.

That's what happens when you try a game without even seeing the tutorial.

Everyone (or almost everyone) was in the same situation you are now, buddy, but we've learned, right?

You should just try the Boot Camp from the regular Arma 2 / Operation Arrowhead so you can learn the basic commands and how the mechanics works in this game, and after that, you can go rock all night in DayZ.

Yeah, so I read all of the reviews, and went and bought arma and arma OA to play this mod, and now I can't even pick things up? Worst/ most frustrating gameplay experience I've ever had. I would love for someone to show me how to do this, so if someone is will to play with me and walk me through some things, great, if not, I don't think I will ever play again. Before you point them out, I've watched a bunch of videos, and been through the controls list in game... however "use" and "pickup item" are absent. I bled to death from a minor injury over 5 minutes because I COULDN'T USE MY DAMNED BANDAGE. Only time I have ever had difficulty like this in a game.

TL;DR Need a helper in game, or chalking this up to biggest yet waste of gaming money. Could have had Walking Dead for less.

RTFM

Dayz brings back what it was like to pause your SNES/NES/MegaDrive game, go to school, come back to find your mother thought you forgot to turn it off before going to bed/school/college/work....