TheMachine

A lot of stuff needs to be removed from DayZ

So much stuff in DayZ isn't in keeping with the gritty, soviet era post apocalyptic theme.

For example, NVG, thermal scopes, .50 cal rifles and some other stuff.

I think the absolute max should be weapons with holo scopes, perhaps 1 or 2 of the crappier snipers.

This would force night play to be torches and flares only, it'd be 10x more fun not having/knowing someone else had that massive advantage of NVG.

And the thermal scope is just TROLLING, wtf is that even doing in there?

I've had my jollies with the .50 cal, but 1 hit kill on players(without a headshot) is just too rich, and getting all this stuff is far far too easy.

• Like 3

I'd assume that in already dire situations like just acquiring food, that the appropriate means of handling having your leg blown off by a .50 cal would likely end in tragedy.

I prefer those better tech'd military weapons stay in the game, because it's so much more satisfying to drop an AS50 sniper with a lee enfield than with your own AS50.

Plus, there'd be no incentive to head north at all if there weren't "better" weapons up there.

Yeah I partly agree. It's kinda logical to find better weapons in Military locations. But I agree that, atm it's too easy to acquire these items.

Though I did see an interview with Rocket, he stated that there are plans for bigger maps. So if this is true, I'm positive they will make weapons and items like NVG and Thermal much more rare.

But a player who's been playing for days on the same character will/should be far more dangerous than a new player who just ran through Electro and found a Makarov.

A++++ thread would read again

Oh well you're in luck, because somebody will post this same shit tomorrow!

I thought the lore was you washed up on a beach ( Hence the reason you start on a beach with nothing) Not that your a survivor in soviet era post apocalyptic Russia. I would think if i were Russian i would at least start in a house with some vodka.

I've had my jollies with the .50 cal, but 1 hit kill on players(without a headshot) is just too rich, and getting all this stuff is far far too easy.

A mr lee enfield wants to have a word with you.

• Like 3

I don't think anything should be changed other than the spawn rates of the items. Nothing needs to be removed.

Edited by Psychobob
  • Like 1

A mr lee enfield wants to have a word with you.

Well at least the Enfield doesn't have a scope + zeroing up to 1.6k meters like a certain SR that starts with AS and ends with 50...I'm guilty of using it.

The only time I will ask for something to be changed because of balance issues rather than authenticism: Please remove NVGs and Thermal scopes.

Ok, I don't really care about the thermal. If someone wants to stay scoped in for the entire play session then good on you. What I am concerned about are the NVGs. How is the dark night ever going to be an actually creepy and exciting atmospheric experience when only the poor unknowing noobs and NVG people are joining night-time servers?

I love playing at night, but I'll just get killed if I don't have NVGs because others can see me clear as day when I think I'm being sneaky and invisible in the darkness of the forest. I'm sad because of this.

The fuck are we getting batteries to power these things?

Makes no sense them being in the game.

And .50 cals should be SUPER rare, the sort of thing you happen across once a month.

Our team have looted 6 in the last 2 days.

• Like 2

Shouldn't this be in the suggestion forum that rocket and devs never visit?

I'm flexible and can go either way on the nvgs, as50, l85, etc. So I really don't care as long as they stop the damn hacking and implement a solution to the dc exploit FIRST!

I'm generally pretty against removing any items and do thinkt he game dynamics are good. However, I do think currently the night meta is kind of bad because of NVG's. I am not sure if the right move is to remove them but that is an option. Personally my view on them is because of how rare they are it certainly makes the balance a little off. As somoene said above I have killed plenty of high end players pretty decked with a Lee during the day before. Fact is 80% of engagments (as they should) between small 1-3 man vs 1-3 man groups are decided on which group spotted the other first. This can because of skill in locations, patience, and just luck. Certainly guns give you advantages but seeing them first is the biggest advantage. That being said. Having a super rare item giving people the ability to see very well vs people that can barely see (not to mention if they have that rare item they probably also have weapon advantage) just turns people off from night time play unless they are very early on so they don't care if they die or they have them. Fact is this is a realistic discrepency so I can see why it is like that. However, I think either removing or NVG (could leave in the NVG scopes imo). or increasing the spawn so they were not one of the rare items. Maybe make different levels of night vision. People do make more commercial level NVG that are not milatry and that good but would help some maybe. I'm not sure but I do believe NV is currently an issue in the game.

Side note it does seem to give high end groups somewhat empty servers to fight with each other without having to worry overly about other players wondering in while not removing it. Not sure if this is good or bad just a note.

The fuck are we getting batteries to power these things?

Makes no sense them being in the game.

And .50 cals should be SUPER rare, the sort of thing you happen across once a month.

Our team have looted 6 in the last 2 days.

Why don't our guns jam, knives dull, run out of matches, instantly stop shaking after taking PILLS, run for eternty, ect?

If you get shot in the chest with a .50 cal, do you think you'll survive?

If anything I'd be for adding more content, more toys. Keeps the mod interesting.

the problem with stating that any of the items in this game should be super rare, is that your talking about a landmass with multiple military instilations, after a global pandamic, which would deploy heavy military presence prior to total exstinction.

there is absolutly ZERO reason that military grade items should be rare, given the fact that the military recently occupied the area extensively in a full combat mode.

God forbid you use a flare in this game or chemlights.. = death magnet. Haha

Not really. I've run around Cherno throwing 30-40 flares/chemlights trying to get someone's attention. I can never seem to get any attention.

• Like 1

How about getting rid of the american and brittish weapons and putting more russian weapons in the game. i mean shit, i can understand some american weapons being found here and there, some, but Russia isn't exactly know for skimping on their military hardware.

As far as I know, DayZ is NOT set in the soviet era. The buildings probably LOOK soviet era, because they were probably MADE in the soviet era, but I'm fairly certain the game is set fairly close to present day.

As a player who repeatedly plays at night without NVG or Thermal the simple thought that someone could watch me with one gives me the creeps. And I think that pretty much is what rocket wants.

But I have to agree there is nothing better when you wander through the night and suddenly out in the "nowhere" you see one or two flares, the immersion is so wonderful. Unfortunately night is so insanely dark that my server drops from 50 people to about 10 right away when it's pitch black. There is a time right before it's dark where you can almost see nothing but still enough to make out shapes. That's where I think it should stay.

To give you a small almost pitch black night story. One time I heard shots and I was in one of these long open buildings. I looked out and saw two players standing. And since I had nothing but an hatchet I hoped to god that they went just through this building and wont come in. After about 10 seconds one ran up to the building. It was dark enough that I had time to jump into the corner without him seeing me. He came in, and stood still right at the entrance. I saw he had a weapon and was like "shit shit shit". He turned to look right at me and I could see how much he freaked by the simpel fact that he spasmed out and fired to shots into the nowhere. I screamed "DON'T" but it was too late. His adrenalin was up and in panic he shot and shot. What he saw of course was a dim silhouette of a figure with a hatchet right next to him. I don't blame him.

That's why I'm 50/50 about this. On one hand I would like to have these items rare as fuck. On the other hand I see enough potential to adjust the game that they shouldn't be necessary since stories like the ones up there make up for it. As long as it's not pitchblack.

Not really. I've run around Cherno throwing 30-40 flares/chemlights trying to get someone's attention. I can never seem to get any attention.

carry a flare in your hand at night in cherno

nothing bad will happen i promise

I think only barbed wire/tank traps should be removed, everything else seems fine.

• Like 1

As far as I know, DayZ is NOT set in the soviet era. The buildings probably LOOK soviet era, because they were probably MADE in the soviet era, but I'm fairly certain the game is set fairly close to present day.

Think your right, but regardless, why would a barn in Russia have a English bolt action rifle? I mean I am not saying that no where in Russia can an Lee Enfield be found, but wouldn't a Mosin Nagant be more likely?

it's not "Soviet era" or "Russia". it's a post-Soviet country