ruarz

Suggestions for the DayZ standalone - thinking outside of the limitations of an Arma 2 mod.

You can shoulder main weapon to use secondary and holster secondary to use main. Should be able to shoulder/holster both at the same time to get to the flashlight or axe or even use the knife as a weapon in a pinch.

Be able to shoulder and holster 2 of each. allows for a crossbow or sniper riffle and a regular rifle/shotgun.

I know underground stuff is planed on a big scale. But on a small scale, once you get an entrenching tool be able to dig hidden a bunker. Dig at trees/bushes or at a rock which set the entrance type. Only the person who dug it and any granted access would see it as an entrance. Only vehicle if any that could be taken into the bunker would be bikes. First room would be the main staging area with some storage/equipment on ether side. Back with be starting a narrow hall with each person granted access being a to add 1 room. Every 2 rooms would extend the hall. These rooms would be smaller and have limited storage for that person to store stuff. If they are kicked from the bunker, the room and contents would go into limbo until that person joined another and added a room or started his own. And the bunker/room should be tied to the player account, not the char. The main reason to store stuff is to regear if killed. If you loose access to the room/bunker from death, it would defeat 90% of it's usefulness.

I dont think Rocket agrees and I know I dont agree. I like your tunnel digging idea but it does seem too easy. The problem I have is that I dont think players should be able to "Regear" from stuff they got in a PREVIOS LIFE !?!? your next character never knew anything about the previous character. So why would he know were this camp was. I think your cave should collapse upon your death. It would be harsh but it would prevent "Regearing"

Edited by Vindicator

I agree with Vindicator.. I completely disagree with everything you said Vorg.

Sounds v carebear and completely not in line with the tone of the mod/game.

there's 16 pages here, i don't really have the time to read everything and i'm just copying/pasting this from another similar thread from a while ago, so forgive me if i suggest anything that's already been suggested:

being able to physically disarm and restrain (joint locks, headlocks, maybe pistol to the head) other survivors. unless we get nonlethal options to render other survivors safe, there's little alternative but to kos if you're trying to stay alive. plus it'd be awesome to see the kind of situations this would lead to... disarm someone then hold them at gunpoint and rob them, or take a member of a group hostage by restraining them and moving out of the area.

bulletin boards, letters, spray paint etc. anything that lets you leave messages for others. covered essentially by pen + paper.

more complex hunting and wildlife. pretty sure rocket's on this already.

occasional footprints, tire tracks, broken vegetation (maybe slight texture coloration changes) so you can potentially track others. would also clue you in to high traffic areas (more movement in the area, more tracks) which adds another consideration to group travel... do you travel in a line to hide numbers or spread out?

many large maps of varied environments (deserts, tundra, jungle, coastal, mountainous), perhaps contiguous so you could travel in a manner similar to eve online across the world

sunburns if you play in the daytime a lot, pale skin if you play more at night.

this is also probably way outside the abilities of arma 2 but facial expressions based on situations and play style, like bandits smiling when in firefights, nervous ticks when not, worried expressions on survivors or new characters faces when in firefights. smile lines on friendlies. perhaps something involving people's eyes... windows to the soul and all that. other things like that to communicate personalities instead of magic scarves.

• Like 1

I Really hope rocket puts this into the stand alone will stop people from loging out of pvp and from almost dying from zombies (wont stop alt+f4) and would fit into the game real well

The Sleep Mechanic

The mechanic is simple, your player needs sleep just as he needs food or water, if some one has been playing for a long period of time such as 15-20 hours the player gets tired and experience things which degrade his characters ability to shoot or do certain tasks. The in game character will go to sleep when you log out but it will take a short or long time to log out (go to sleep) depending where and what condition he is in:

(The amount of actual time should be left up to rocket and the team)

Outside: he will take a fair bit of time to go to sleep e.g. 30 seconds

Outside with a sleeping bag: obviously a shorter time

Outside with a sleeping bag and tent: shorter again

Inside: medium time

Inside with a sleeping bag: very short time

Inside with a bed: shortest possible time

This brings in more thinking and decision making for the player, for you know that there is a higher chance that humans will be inside seeking shelter to log off.

There are more factors to take in account such as temperature or fear (if the players can hear zombies from where they are sleeping or have been shot etc.) And it will increase the time it takes to log out for the player is in pain/shock. I can’t imagine some one who has just been shot going to sleep (loging out) instantly.

So this will stop people who disconnect from the game during pvp encounters, as most people will not be able to get to sleep through sheer pain and fear, certain things might help the player get to sleep if they need to log out quicker bringing in items such as sleeping tablets if it seems a viable mechanic.

[Could always leave the players body active for 10 seconds after a disconnect / alt f4 so people will stop doing that as well.

Edited by th3rdparty
  • Like 4

First of all i want to thanks whole dev team for this super game ;]

I think the main problem of game is alt+f4 and escaping on another server and respawn on my backs i think that the best way is to make spawn points on whole map and i can just choose where i want to spawn. Maybe just first spawn on start should be like in mod now

And the second think should be damage weapon system symilar to Fallout series

Edited by d4rK

You know what would be amazing. A contestable radio station on every server. If you and/or your group go in and kill the current owners, you get to decide what plays. Then go so far as to able to just play music of your PC. This radio should be able to be heard in vehicles and portable personal radios.

• Like 2

I'd love to see 2 things:

1) An "in the hands" equipment slot. For example, if I have a rifle and pistol equipped, I should be able to holster both to temporarily carry items with the penalty of not being readily able to access my equipped items. I'm referring to briefly being able to carry tires/jerry cans without having to clear out my inventory, or temporarily picking up a Winchester without having to drop my sniper rifle. To clarify, if I can put my rifle on my back when I use my pistol, I should be able to keep my rifle on my back, a pistol in my holster, and any other item in my hands.

2) Physics based loot piles and items. Instead of static loot piles (which are really just tweaked weapon lockers), I request dynamic loot piles and items that can be effected by physics. This would add alot of realism and open up many different possibilities. For example, being able to shoot a gun off a cliff or out of range of an enemy, or being able to throw a gun/blood bag/etc off a roof down to a friend below, or being able to set up custom traps out of gas cans, wire, water barrels, rocks, etc.

• Like 3

I have no idea if this was posted yet, but never the less I'm going to state my few changes I'd love to see.

1. When it's raining, allow us to fill water bottles?

2. Make zombies run normal, not zig zaggy! (also fix them teleporting close to hit you X_X)

3. Make there be more bag space. (easier to get better bags?)

4. Make us not be able to run non stop? Like add in heat sickness or something?

5. Make food last longer. Shouldn't we be drinking 3 times more than eating if we're running non stop?

6. Allow for radio communication, or a system to message friends on server without telling everyone! (skype sucks sometimes) Sorta like finding a phone and sending texts?

7. Have zombies roam everywhere? instead of spawning when your near them, have a set number to match number of players. So if 5 people are on there's like 100 zombies randomly spread on server at all times. you kill one, a new one spawns somewhere random on map. So now everywhere is hostile!

8. More cars, and have a certain number on each server at all times! If one gets blown up, have another spawn somewhere. I hate not having any cars cause others hide them or blow them all up. It'll beat having to run all the damn time to get somewhere with 6 people.

9. This is with # 7 on my list. When trying to loot, it's tough cause of zombies spawning near the buildings. With them spread out more, it'll help looting, and allow people to take their time instead of always rushing! D<

10. MORE animals!!!!

11. NPC's or SAFE ZONES?

12. Server jumpers. FIX this please? have each server have it's own character? Like the lingor islands?, or so I've heard from friends.

• Like 1

This may have already been suggested, but there needs to be some sort of record of your longest life in Dayz day's as well as other stats such as zombie kills, murders, bandit kills, km walked, etc. This could then be grouped into a sort of ladder or scoreboard so taht players can see those who have survived the longest. Of course, to have a true scoreboard you would need to have a calculation that combines, days lived, zombies killed and maybe km walked and/or buildings explored to keep people from just staying logged in the game and jumping up the ladder.

I'd like to know how long my longest life has been so it gives me another objective to shoot for on my next life.

• Like 2

Sniping ACE style - usable bipods, change to zeroing, checking wind direction.

• Like 1

Yeah, havent read the thread. The usual apologies if already mentioned....

Uniforms. Can we choose what to wear/look like with more options, whether its various coloured clothing to make our own, or an actual uniform design, I would like to be able to identify fellow squad members easier.

• Like 2

1. Remove "Hide Body"

2. Add the ability to "Drag body"

3. Add the ability to "Burn Body" (with matches and maybe fuel)

4. A burning body will spread fire to other nearby dead bodies

5. Dead bodies and dead infected attracts more infected (respawn)

So to clean up a town from infected and establish a temporary safe (hahahahahahaha) area you will have to drag all dead bodies in a neat pile and make yourself a nice fire.

EDIT: One more thing: putting out a fire (a huge dead body one or a small fireplace) should create a tower of smoke for some minutes, visible from far away.

Edited by Terrorviktor
  • Like 2

My suggestions revolve around the player experiences beyond that of zombies and other players. The environment is as important, at times, as anything else in the current mod.

1.) Keep the Beauty, and improve on it.

One of the things that satiates me, and has me come back to the mod, is the serene beauty of being out in the woods while day turns to night. The stars are poking out, the shading seems good - since we're to be living in a post-apocalyptic world without power, and spending a lot of time outdoors, even with the threat of zombies and other players there should remain a feeling of peace and beauty as there is in real nature when not under a direct threat.

------------------------------------------

2.) Another suggestion would be to have a random generator of weather with a very low, but possible, likelihood of tropical storm or tornado events (like a .001% chance). (Can you tell I just had to deal with tropical storm Isaac coming over my house?) Blinding rain going sideways, with super strong winds, could force players to find shelter or risk much faster hypothermia or destruction.

3.) There are no shovels in the current mod... I suggest that they'd be common, and that people should be able to alter the terrain shovel-full by shovel-full (with non-disappearing dirt... so if you dig a hole, a mound of dirt beside it will be pretty obvious unless you really spread it out). I can see trenches or walls of dirt as fortifications, and possibly some holes as traps (possibly for both players and zombies alike?). A shovel could be a requirement to hide a body if the body was drug outdoors.

Edited by Corbon HydraShock

As for the random events, why not add a major random event, like having a Hercules fly across the map then an engine bursts into flames and the Hercules try and lands, so it crash's and is unable to fly but it is on the ground and in the back cargo area is random loot, maybe crates of goodies or an extremely rare vehicle or something.

You should be able to drink from water containers multiple times before they are empty.

You should start with out a bag on your back, adds to somthing else you really need to find.

Bandages and pain killers are so common do we really need to start with them ?

if we are still gonna spawn on the coast and we remove everything say bag and gear, then what we should do is change the survivors cloths to make it look like you just washed up on the beach with ratty torn cloths and no gear, adds to the mystery of the survivor, did he come from a boat crash, a plane crash or something entirely different.

Seasons have been suggested.

Implementation is sketchy though... Do they go for real-time seasons (spanning months) or make it go faster? They haven't sped up the day/night cycle...

Harsher weather perhaps? But Chernarus is too small for extremes and not precisely placed in an area prone to tropical storms...

Maybe once more maps become available then we can get more weather conditions? Lingor Island could have tropical storms for sure. And then we could go for some desert like map (Mojave anyone?).

Camera is a great idea! Make it an instant camera so you can get the pictures in your inventory and show it to people... or have people take it when they kill you!

• Like 1

bulletin boards, letters, spray paint etc. anything that lets you leave messages for others. covered essentially by pen + paper.

After changing zombie behavior, this is probably the single most critical thing to add. Players should be able to leave notes and pick up cans of spraypaint. Player created graffiti would greatly enhance the sandbox feel of the game.

A toolbox should take up a lot of room in your inventory, but why not have a smaller option like a Multi-tool like a Leatherman.

I have one at home and it has served me well in that i very rarely need to open my toolbox

Was talking about this elsewhere but might as well post it here.

What about stripping down weapons to transport them? A high calibre sniper rifle with a total length of over 1m would not fit in most backpacks without sticking out, which would make the barrel more prone to fouling and give away your position more readily by making you more visible. Dismantling would allow it to be stored much more easily but would come at the cost of having to reassemble it when taking it back out. This would offer the choice of being able to choose between quickly switching weapons, or carrying more items by stripping them but having to reassemble it before use. And in the case of long-barrelled weapons that can't fit in a particular backpack you have, the fouling of the barrel would cause them to reduce in accuracy and be more prone to jamming.

Obviously stripping weapons doesn't actually decrease their volume in reality, but this could be modelled in game as part of the inventory to represent the increased efficiency in packing items in your backpack.

• Like 1

Give newly spawned survivors a weapon so they dont have to make those silly suicide runs.

Not much "survival" in this survival game anymore...

The Sleep Mechanic

would be an awesome feature.

especially for the ALT+F4 people ;)

i think the combination exit delay + no sleeping would definitly lower the Alt F4 crap.

maybe when youre bleeding you still lose blood to a minimum amount till the next login.

if youre active playing and have to rest there could be dreams or a fear level of the character like hearing all kind of noises.

or you have a nightmare mini game sometimes. but thats a bit far fetched i guess and would probably fit more into a singleplayer game ^^

anyways very good suggestion from you

Tip/suggenstion:

What if you made a new skin for bandits who has less than - 100.000 humanity, -2000.000 and so on?

This way we can determine who is just defending themselves and who really initiate and do player hunt..

I really hope this could be integrated. Feel free to add propositions/comments! :)

Edited by Fearmewalkers
  • Like 1

I love pretty much all of these ideas! especially the medical kit ones. I would love to make a country hospital were players can go to trade ammo, food etc for medical care. Hell we could even have a hospital heli to pick up injured people that radio in. I would also love it if they put a medic skin or something in to show that you are a someone that can help others.

Thanks for making this thread, dayz has such a huge capability to be awesome and stuff like this bring rocket closer to an award winning game. You sir have my whole bag of beans!!

• Like 1