Sign in to follow this  
bjarnidk

I just have to ask

Am I the only one who gets so vivid with this game that I might get depressed after dying and really have shakes for a while after?

I get so involved with my characters story that I actually feel like it's a dream and I am this character.. And when my characters meets an abrupt demise, I just get really emotional. I'm not good with scary games because they are so vivid for me but this game... Here's a long story I wrote to my friend on skype to show him how the game is:

Me and my friend navigated for 1 hour to find eachother and you navigate exactly like in the army with landmarks and stuff.. And when we did he was bleeding after a fightand he needed a blood bag.

Now I knew there was a hospital like 4 kilometers away and we started hiking there but it got dark and when it gets dark in this game its like in the forest in the army, you see NOTHING. So I navigated somehow through the trees and used everything I could to find my location, even listened to if I was walking over a road or on grass because you can't even see under your feet its so dark.. And in the end my friend kept fainting from blood loss and the hospital was still about 1 km away.

I told him to wait in the tree line and I booked it to the hospital. But there were like 40 zombies around the hospital.

I crawled my way through and as I couldn't see them, I had to navigate by their moans in my headphones.

I reached the hospital and we were lucky and there was a blood bag. I booked it down but the hospital started getting surrounded so I got down and crawled to the edge of the town and out into the trees but there were about 20 zombies in that tree line and I didnt know where to turn. Then one spotted me and ran after me and I ran out into another tree line that was clear and shot him far away from the others so they couldnt see me or smell me (they can in this game if you shoot too close, they hear the sound and chase you if they see you).

But he knocked me down and started biting me, I got up again and killed him but was bleeding heavily. I grabbed my bandage and started bandaging myself to stop the bleeding but I died from blood loss at the same time.

I got so emotional over this that I can't fall asleep or anything.. It's really weird.

Am I the only one? :$

Rule of the internet: No, you are not the only one.

Next time, turn the lights on to avoid over-engrossment. The same thing happens with the game Amnesia, so it's understandable.

Nope.

What you are describing is the standard psychological response to heightened stimuli even where the stimulus response is parasympathetic. (The environmental stimulus is perceived as being real by the autonomic nervous system so you can easily wind up with a concrete and in some cases dangerous physiological affect).

Normally its a habitual response. (learned).

Are you left or right handed?

I tend to jump out of my computer chair when I hear or get shot out of no where by a bandit sniper and it scares the shit outta me especially at night LOL but man I LOVE THAT SHIT IT MAKES ME PLAY FOR MORE LOL..

My current "character" has been alive for over a week. I cant imagine what would happen if I died in-game. You know its got you when you dont want to think about it.

I grew too attatched to my character. 35+ hours of survival will make you paranoid and shake with the fear of losing your stuff after all the time you put into it. It's perfectly normal. I died through my own carelessness by forgetting to look around for once before I started typing. Next thing I know BLAM BLAM BLAM goes a makarov 3 feet away.

It was liberating, just as completing Amnesia felt like.

I get attached, but not overly so. I love each one of my characters dearly, and I usually quit playing when I die, a morning period if you will. I get a new mindset and start fresh the next day

I had originally pitched this idea (minus zombies) to the Army to assist with training soldiers. Nobody was very interested. Maybe they will be now.

When I have a great setup ive been working on, I tend to shake in PVP moments. Even when I am the one with the tactical advantage(initiating the ambush)

saw this on reddit

I like to say "Lets find out how you die" when i start a new character. I ask not for a long life, only to die in glory.

it was about Diablo 3 Hardcore mode, but it applies to this game too.

I get nerves when I see players nearby, especially in daytime...I can only compare the feeling I get to the moment before I shot a rifle at hunting game that Ive been looking for for hours on end (hunting in real life). Ive never shot at another human being, which I imagine is far more nerve-racking, but then this IS a game so it cant take me all the way.

It's uncanny, I still cant believe a game makes me feel that way.

And don't forget the feeling after you have a close call and kill the person attacking you, and how for a good hour or so afterwards you cant think straight.

Killing others, and being killed doesn't make me feel anything. However the stand-off, the negotiating! That gives me a massive rush of adrenaline, knowing that a wrong word or too great demand may sway the course of events one way or another is intense especially since I'm inclined through my natural real world behaviour and adherence to principle to try make things end well for everyone while also knowing that due to our close proximity things can get messy quickly.

Hands get the shakes, alertness sky rockets watching who is where and what they are carrying, their movements whether they be defensive, offensive or co-operative with requests. Adrenaline, Tis the only drug for me.

This is imo the experience the Death matchers and 'shoot on sight' people are missing.

Thanks for your responses guys..

It's weird to hear that the army plays video games. I was in the army (not in USA) and there were no video games lol.

But this is the closest thing you can get to reality in my opinion.

Nope.

What you are describing is the standard psychological response to heightened stimuli even where the stimulus response is parasympathetic. (The environmental stimulus is perceived as being real by the autonomic nervous system so you can easily wind up with a concrete and in some cases dangerous physiological affect).

Normally its a habitual response. (learned).

Are you left or right handed?

I am right handed. Is this dangerous??

I definitely like the tension.

I was following a guy along a road for a while when I realized hi movement wasnt right, like maybe he knew but he never looked around.

When I paused and looked around myself he had a partner who was stalking me. I sprinted, dropped and rolled into some trees... they looked for me for a while but eventually gave up.

Nervewracking, I didnt know if they were friendly or not.