Sign in to follow this  
tbartoli13@iskl.edu.my

Reducing accuracy drastically

I know this is a more unorthodox suggestion to improve the game but hear me out:

The game needs to be HARDER, right?

Reducing accuracy would make it a lot harder to kill the zeds, because right now, you just aim and shoot and you can kill 200 with 200 bullets.

Another good thing reducing accuracy would do is make it harder for people to pull out their Lee Enfields and one shot you from 100 meters away as you crouch run into a supermarket. However, if they hit you - they hit you. Damage is the same, but theres more chance into it as well.

However, it only makes sense that if you aim at someone for long enough, your accuracy increases..

SO, if someone is in your sights for more than 5 seconds, your accuracy is drastically improved!

What do you think?

You already have low breath and reduced accuracy, zeroing and what not. Maybe you are just too good at the game for your own good.

Edited by Dez.

No.

If you're aiming a gun directly at a zombie then it should hit him, none of this crap that makes bullets magically miss

You can compare the accuracy of the weapons in the game with real life accuracy. The dispersion tables for various weapons are known.

100 meters? A competent player can pick you from 350m to 500m easy with a Lee Enfield, maybe two shots from 700m.

I see what you're saying, but learn to use the weapons and get those shots and I think you may change your tune.

Well it makes me think, Arma2 is a milsim, so presumably the accuracy is configured on the assumption that the individual wielding it has at least basic training with it, right? Whereas as far as I'm aware, the survivors in DayZ are just civillians (albeit probably smart, prepared ones, because they are still alive). I do find it perplexing that as soon as I picked up my AS50 I could use it to a reasonable standard.

This kind of thing will probably be addressed later though, as they are considering adding skills to the game at a later date I think. For the moment, being able to fire as accurately as you can does feel a bit silly with most weapons, especially the military grade ones.

Edited by Astronomer
  • Like 1

100 meters? A competent player can pick you from 350m to 500m easy with a Lee Enfield, maybe two shots from 700m.

I see what you're saying, but learn to use the weapons and get those shots and I think you may change your tune.

I don't think you understood what I was saying. I didn't say it was too hard to do that, I said it was too easy. So you are strolling around and you just die from someone super far away with one shot. Kinda sad?

It's just my opinion. I'm not trying to whine about cheap deaths but its just my opinion.

I got that it's too easy for you to die from your op. I just assumed it was because you weren't able to get the kills and others are. That's what I get for making assumptions.

I like it the way it is.

You can compare the accuracy of the weapons in the game with real life accuracy. The dispersion tables for various weapons are known.

That is true. However have you ever fired an assault rifle with ironsights at a target 200m and even 100m away after running. I promise you its alot harder to hit something than it is ingame. I've used he FNC the FAL and the minimi (SAW) using ironsights only and i can promise you that unless you are prone you probably won't even shoot anywhere near the target at 200m. Every baseballcap wearing tourist in arma in dayz can pick up an assault rifle and use it like they are profesional marksmen.

It would make more sense to add more rifle-sway instead of adding in-accuracy. I can shoot about 3 moa with a Lee Enfield mk4 lying prone with a sling at 300meters, so headshotting someone at a 100 meters isn't that unrealistic.

Better yet, adding eye-fatique,because after 8 seconds of aiming (with iron sights, I don't know if it applies to scopes as well) your eyes get strained.

That is true. However have you ever fired an assault rifle with ironsights at a target 200m and even 100m away after running. I promise you its alot harder to hit something than it is ingame. I've used he FNC the FAL and the minimi (SAW) using ironsights only and i can promise you that unless you are prone you probably won't even shoot anywhere near the target at 200m. Every baseballcap wearing tourist in arma in dayz can pick up an assault rifle and use it like they are profesional marksmen.

Then you should have said you want to increase the weapon sway after running. That is a perfectly valid point and an easy fix. Has nothing to do with weapon accuracy though. Weapon accuracy is when you point a weapon somewhere and the bullet flies somewhere else. Take for instance a M1911 and try to shoot it at 100m target in the game. (Compare with the revolver for instance.) You'll see that on the M1911 the bullets are just not flying where you have the gun pointed, that's gun accuracy.

Incidentally, where I live there is a yearly competition of kids (0-18, each competes for his class) in shooting assault rifles with iron sights at 200m target. (The rifles are with a bipod and a shock absorber though.)

speak for yourself, please

while not as common as we once were, people that grew up hunting are amazingly accurate with just about any weapon you hand them.

a stationary man sized target at 200 meters engaged while standing with a centerfire rifle should be no problem for someone with military training. if it is then how did you ever qualify with a weapon?

• Like 1

I don't know if you have every actually fired a rifle... In the standing position your aim gets worse the longer you hold it, it's recommended to stand at 45 degrees with a shoulder width between your feet. Rifle aimed down at 45 degrees then pivot it up from the stock, line up quickly and take your shot. So it would actually be less realistic to have better aim after 5 seconds or so. 5 seconds is a very long time to hold an aim in the standing position and to a lesser extent the kneeling position.

speak for yourself, please

while not as common as we once were, people that grew up hunting are amazingly accurate with just about any weapon you hand them.

a stationary man sized target at 200 meters engaged while standing with a centerfire rifle should be no problem for someone with military training. if it is then how did you ever qualify with a weapon?

I think he meant if you are breathing out your hoop. Obviously it's no trouble for a person with military training to hit a man sized target at 200m, it's not a bother for someone with military training to hit a 150mm grouping while standing

The thing you guys are forgetting is that the further away a target is the more your breathing errs the sight a milimeter away from your aim point and the pull of the trigger errs the aimpoint,that milimeter or two of change makes a big difference over distance.I have a friend of mine who tried so hard to become a sniper in marines and just could not pull off shots well.Not talking about 1000m but even closer like 500m shots.he says that most snipers guys in his squad grew up on farms and have been shooting their whole lives.

So I think this idea is great and I agree its better with dispersion than weapon sway.Could have 5 levels of proficiency that you get from 5 days survived.First day and 1 in 5 shots with a sniper hits its mark.2nd day and 2 in 5 until 5th day survived and the weapons are as accurate as they are in Dayz right now....or rather you learn how to shoot and each shot aimed right hits the mark.

Don't put bullshit into weapon accuracy, please.

IRL weapon accuracy does not change. The barrel and the bullet do not care if you're running, sitting, aiming for 3 seconds or for 3 hours.

In all firefights there is 1 major factor - your own skill.

The barrel will hit pretty much where you aim (within a small variation) regardless of how long you've been aiming, the only thing that matters is if you know how to handle it or not.

ArmA is a REALISTIC game, and so is the weapon accuracy.

Yes they may only be civilians and not trained soldiers. But they are RUSSIAN civilians. Case closed. Heve Neice Dey.

• Like 1

I know this is a more unorthodox suggestion to improve the game but hear me out:

The game needs to be HARDER, right?

Reducing accuracy would make it a lot harder to kill the zeds, because right now, you just aim and shoot and you can kill 200 with 200 bullets.

Another good thing reducing accuracy would do is make it harder for people to pull out their Lee Enfields and one shot you from 100 meters away as you crouch run into a supermarket. However, if they hit you - they hit you. Damage is the same, but theres more chance into it as well.

However, it only makes sense that if you aim at someone for long enough, your accuracy increases..

SO, if someone is in your sights for more than 5 seconds, your accuracy is drastically improved!

What do you think?

Accuracy isn't that hard, I shoot a ton of guns in real life in a sense its realistic but wind effects would be nice for shooting.

Then you should have said you want to increase the weapon sway after running. That is a perfectly valid point and an easy fix. Has nothing to do with weapon accuracy though. Weapon accuracy is when you point a weapon somewhere and the bullet flies somewhere else. Take for instance a M1911 and try to shoot it at 100m target in the game. (Compare with the revolver for instance.) You'll see that on the M1911 the bullets are just not flying where you have the gun pointed, that's gun accuracy.

Incidentally, where I live there is a yearly competition of kids (0-18, each competes for his class) in shooting assault rifles with iron sights at 200m target. (The rifles are with a bipod and a shock absorber though.)

So, the 0 in that 0-18, is that so that pregnant women can compete as well? Also, what weapons do the 1 year olds usually use?

So, the 0 in that 0-18, is that so that pregnant women can compete as well? Also, what weapons do the 1 year olds usually use?

And again this forum cracks me up.But then again in Soviet Russia.....;)

Accuracy isn't that hard, I shoot a ton of guns in real life in a sense its realistic but wind effects would be nice for shooting.

Wind has little to no effect in short ranges (Up to 100-150 meters or so).

Unless you're in some storm.

This isn't Battlefield 3. It's a Military Simulator.

Part of that is to have realistic gun physics, not Battlefield 3 style bullet cones.

If you want shitty aim, go play Battlefield.

• Like 1

No.

If you're aiming a gun directly at a zombie then it should hit him, none of this crap that makes bullets magically miss

Yeah...This isn't Battlefield 3! :P