TheMachine

A serious question for the PvP-phobes

if there is currently mindless pvping and the majority of players have done it compared to the "peace & love" approach then it must be what they want to do because its fun , i think you roleplayers should stop trying to turn it into another grinding rpg with skills/perks. If you guys want to roleplay then you must adjust your playing to the style of the mod. #if you want to have a survivor group and do things then you better be prepared to defend yourself or get out. All the tools are ingame for you to make these groups/safe zones/trading areas but YOU guys need to make it happen yourselves.

And the same thing can be said to all your pvp-people.

Point being?

All the tools are ingame for you to make these groups/safe zones/trading areas but YOU guys need to make it happen yourselves.

What if I told you that these tools are ineffective and that becoming another PvP player is inevitable?

There is no incentive to playing as a group, everybody has the same skills and another player is only needed for blood bags. I've been surviving for 20 days and I have yet to need a blood bag. Safe zones are absolutely impossible to create as of today and I don't know what you mean exactly when you say "trading areas" but I bet it's nothing that can survive server hoppers, hackers and all kind of murderers.

• Like 1

DayZ is Marketed as a Post Z Apocalypse Survival game. Not a TDM/DM game with Z obstacles. Currently coming across another Survivor goes like this: "Wanna Team u"..[bang] [bang] [bang]: You are dead

And people like you continue to fail to understand what the word survival means. If you are being shot by people you are trying to talk to you, maybe you need to look at the way you are trying to survive.

I read this:

I'm going to try my best not to sound like I'm trolling, since this is entirely serious and not meant to provoke a reaction.

And then I read this:

They're all in a similar vein and it's basically always the same basic story.

Let me tell it for you is succinctly as possible, it has 3 parts.

1. I was playing dayz and I encountered another player.

2. This other player killed me.

3. I didn't like being killed.

That's it.

That's all there is to the story. Every. Single. Time.

lulz

Edited by jonahcutter

And people like you continue to fail to understand what the word survival means. If you are being shot by people you are trying to talk to you, maybe you need to look at the way you are trying to survive.

This is a circle without exit:

1. OP literally said "not troll but you carebears must stfu"

2. Part of the reasonable-pvp community tries to understand the problem and discuss, others are just whiners because they are dead

3. Everyone loving to be a griefer, pretending to be adult, insult everyone is not on their side with the usual replies (idiot, retard, noob)

4. restart from 2 and repeat.

This kind of discussion is pointless until someone will start to understand the point of view of other players instead of being a dick because is easier and fun.

• Like 2

if there is currently mindless pvping and the majority of players have done it compared to the "peace & love" approach then it must be what they want to do because its fun , i think you roleplayers should stop trying to turn it into another grinding rpg with skills/perks. If you guys want to roleplay then you must adjust your playing to the style of the mod. #if you want to have a survivor group and do things then you better be prepared to defend yourself or get out. All the tools are ingame for you to make these groups/safe zones/trading areas but YOU guys need to make it happen yourselves.

So if everybody jumps off a bridge, I should pretty much expect to see you next in line right?

Because that's pretty much what you're saying.

I started playing Day Z because I wanted to experience this zombie apocalypse sim everybody was talking about. And I think I'm about done with the mod. It's been a fun week, but combined with so many people treating the game as an extended deathmatch ( I've murdered like two dudes, and one was carrying a silenced G36 which freaked me out ) and me pretty much having seen how empty the 'end game' is ( yet to find a helicopter crash site... ), the game doesn't live up to its reputation. Plus, Steam Summer Sale going on right now means I have a bunch of new games to try too.

You might say, 'good riddance' but you gotta think, how many other people are saying the same thing?

I never Communicate ith people who are unaware of my presence. I put space between us and just leave.

There is no incentive to playing as a group

Get some better friends.

Being in a group of actually "skilled" people is very helpful. The game dosen't need some artificial skill system. I've got some cautious friends, some good pvp friends, some sneaky friends, friends who know good locations / vehicle spawns.

Friends are helpful, they can guard my body, they can watch my back, they can save me, they can carry or share things i might need, they're fun to play with, I can be tactical with them.

Extra eyes and opinions can save my life.

If people could not Alt+F4 out of the game I would kill a lot less people. Quite honestly, If I could taser people and hog tie them I'd be starting some pokemon collection of survivors. But really though, you could mug people and be on your way.

I've made people log out who have been pretty tooled up using only what I had to hand... a torch and direct chat. Which is pretty fucking silly.

Edited by itputsthelotion
  • Like 1

There is a simple answer to alot of these problems , make zombies more of a threat , make more of them make them tougher , harder , faster and way more numerous , make going into town for supplies a mission and not something thats so easy

Make solo survablility harder , make working together actually worth it since 2 guns agasint the zombies is better than one or more , make it worth while to work together rather than easier to kill and steals someone elses gear

Personally im a care bear i belive in playing any game with my own moral values and cant bring my self to not help someone or not risk it and not help them , maybe that makes me a care bare and a easy target but when i say friendly i mean it , i die alot because i chose to belive people are basically good and assume most people would rather work together than shoot me

Ive meet a few people that were total asses and call it out then shoot you and alot more that do mean it and team up but i dont belive in whining , its a rough world , take it the way it is

Making Zombies more prevalant and dangerous could very well be a way to encourage co-op play versus just straight out killing other plays, it would also make the game more challenging overall. The issue with this seemingly simple change is that it punishes solo play, I don't think we want to punish any kind of play so I feel there is only a certain amount of tweaking to the zombies before they cross a line that begins to punsih solo play, I feel it will however be through a combination of changes and additions that co-op play will be more encouraged.

Personally I already feel the pull of co-op play, that's not to say I don't take great joy in ending anothers life and scavenging what I need from their bodies and when I die I know that it was my fault. I think this is an important lesson many people fail to learn. No matter how unfair the advantage you must always accept that it is your fault when you die. It's easy enough to hide from other players should you wish to, entering the big is always your choice and they're known PvP hotzones. What you must ask yourself is, do you reall need to kill on sight? From the statisitics Rocket has mentioned most player deaths are not by the hand of a bandit. Co-op play is already greatly encouraged by the structure of the game. More players is always better than less. You must choose the way you play, if you want to group up with strangers then you better be careful about it . Running at them screaming friendly will get you no where, I propose stalking them and observing their behavior before making contact from a hidden location.

The first time I was killed by a player I was unarmed and he had a pistol. I thought he was my friend, we had met maybe 60 seconds before he shot me in the face as I examined a pile of tin cans. I remember this because it was cool, it was exciting. My playstyle has evolved over the course of the game and I've been in situations where I'm running towards a building that I know a player is in saying to myself "Ohh, I'm gonna get this guy sooo good!" after seeing him fall from the top of the ACT building to the second to topmost floor breaking his legs. You know what I did then? I bandaged him up, gave him morphine and a blood transfusion and went on my way. I'm a kind person at heart, I have as much empathy as I do bloodlust.

What I love so much about DayZ is that I can choose in any one moment what kind of player/person I wish to be. I can literally express myself through the gameplay without having to worry about arbitrary punishments. I can kill a freshly spawned player (not like he has anything to lose) and giggle to myself one second and the next be in that same situation. When I come upon a player I know nothing about them and that's both frightening and exciting. If anything about DayZ was changed to make that different I don't know how much longer I'd continue to play. If you don't like PvP then you must avoid it, that is your course of action and nothing else.

Bandits have the right to exist, but when every single person is a bandit because they have to be, or they get shot; it's not being a bandit anymore, it's simply playing the game while forcing people down a character path they didn't want to play.

Where is the freedom or sandbox in that?

I have played a bandit since after about the second day of playing when I had learned the controls etc. but this is totally true. Being a bandit is now barely a choice or an exception - it's a requirement.

Just use a mic and hop onto a server with Teamspeak, should get you a friendly team 90% of the time, also stay out of the big cities/military camps. Should solve the issues. Even if you are unarmed, walking around with a torch, if I see you at the military base in Stary, I'll simply run 1m in front of you (since you don't have a weapon anyways) and shoot you. If you really want access to a military weapon, you should be prepared to be PVP'd. The bases are the homes of the PVPers.

As much as I hate being ganked by other players it's those rare moments that make the game all the more worthwhile.

Holy smokes that made me laugh, RARE? I've been playing for 2 days on various servers and I have gotten killed over a dozen times and I never even found a weapon could not fight back. I would love to know where you play if you think PK is rare in this mod.

Edited by Hypro

Ha ha. Man, I've realised something. What you guys are all arguing about in here is basically the problems of the world.

All the people who play aggressively and competitively are calling the shots, have all of the power, and have the loot. Some abuse their power to keep themselves at the top. Some cheat to win. Some give little or no value to the lives of others.

A lot of people who don't necessarily start off in a competitive mindset end up joining in anyway, just so they don't end up losing out. Some people consider the way the game is being played as wrong or unfair, and argue loudly for stricter rules to balance the playing field. A very few manage to maintain a philanthropic idealism in the way they play the game, but this is the hardest way to play, [edit] and they are labelled as "carebears", [/edit] so most don't.

So, Dean has created an allegorical real world simulator, with zombies. Awesome. Good luck guys; sort out your problems in DayZ, and the world could end up a better place for it. I'm going to keep playing, in case Neo shows up. ;)

Edited by Hoogley

What else is there to do besides kill people? Walk through the trees up north, shooting wildlife and filling water bottles at ponds for days until you get randomly shot or die to a random bug?

People who hate PvP... do you really have that much fun playing Walking Simulator 2012? Because that's ALL YOU FREAKING DO if there's no PvP.

I might be able to get a little more into the pure survival aspect of the game if the odds weren't so high that my game will be ruined by a bug. Rampant bug-related deaths, being teleported to the debug desert, and completely unreliable tents and vehicles make it very unattractive to get emotionally invested in the long-term survival game. Might as well just stay in town and shoot people.

This whole thread reminds me a bit of EvE online. People are always trying to force their gaming style on others while shouting "U mad??? 1s Teh Sandb0x!!!11111", where their way of playing the game is the only valid one and everybody else are just "n00bs who sho go play something else".

Such is the COD kids mentality.

I'm going to try my best not to sound like I'm trolling, since this is entirely serious and not meant to provoke a reaction.

We see lots of threads each day such as this one:-

http://dayzmod.com/f...tor-for-d-bags/

They're all in a similar vein and it's basically always the same basic story.

Let me tell it for you is succinctly as possible, it has 3 parts.

1. I was playing dayz and I encountered another player.

2. This other player killed me.

3. I didn't like being killed.

That's it.

That's all there is to the story. Every. Single. Time.

There's usually quite a lot of oohing and aahing about it too, some of the stories are in fact, very well told and quite compelling.

And I don't think there's another game out there that inspires that kind of genuine reaction in players.

To me anyway, that's what makes DayZ, Dayz, and it's a heck of a lot more interesting than other 'safe' games.

Anyway my question to these people is basically, what do you expect?

How do you expect other players to react to you in their presence?

Do you expect to call out friendly, then hold hands and kill zombies together without ANY risk of being killed?

Because that could happen.

But you know, there can't be one without the other.

DayZ is all or nothing, it's either completely safe all the time (and a lot of these people won't be happy until that's the case), or it's not safe any of the time.

I know which one is a more compelling gaming experience for me, and I hope it stays that way.

What I expect, is not to be killed just to be killed. I'm unarmed, just spawned, and shot in the head for no other reason than it gives them a cheap laugh. I don't expect not to die, I don't expect no risk of death, I expect a decent chance at living through any encounter. If you meet someone in this and they're armed, it's almost 100% chance of death, when in real life, no way would that ever happen. In this, people can shoot and not worry about zombies because they're easy to escape/kill. This game is PvP, with zombies sprinkled on top. It should be survival against all elements -- you should be very worried about zombies, you should be worried about shooting players and drawing other players... none of these concerns are present, people kill just cus, they kill unarmed, they kill and they don't loot, it's *just* killing.

Fundamentally, I believe this relentless kill on sight aspect of the game *will* ruin it, it *will* kill the game (i.m.o.). This game is only fun for the predator, and that won't even continue. Killing is starting to lose its novelty, it's too easy, it's too common, it's losing its reward. We would all benefit from less shoot on sight, including bandits. Killing would mean something, it'd be special, it'd be fun.

• Like 1

Did you really just say Killing would be fun? Well there ya go, you have expectations and then believe that it'd be fun to kill people. Gonna listen to that aren't they.

Oh hang on a second, I expect you to die in game because you aren't thinking things through enough...

If you die ingame (unless it's by a hacker) then you did something wrong. Pretty simple game mechanic.