TyGuy (DayZ)

Killing Noobs

So, I really enjoy this game. But i was curious about something: How do people cope with getting killed constantly by other players? I feel as though anytime I successfully make it to Cherno or Elektro to get supplies, just as I am about to vacate the city, I get sniped, or brutally murdered. Granted, there is no use bitching about this, since it is clearly part of the game, and not going anywhere, but how do you guys deal with it?

Do you join lower populated servers? I do not want to ALT-F4, and will never chicken out. However, I'd like to get up North oneday and take on the airfields up there. Just frustrating at times, but maybe I just need to get a lot more skilled at DayZ before I start complaining.

personally i just shrug it off make a mental note of where i died, and respawn, chances are you'll either be A). within range of a city to loot up again or B) miles away from anything, the rule of thumb or from what i gather isn't to get attached too your gear so when you do die, getting "brutally murdered" isn't such a big loss, most of the smaller towns aren't as populated so finding the same or similar loot isn't really an issue i find.

I've played a lot of dayz, always alone, about 200 hours, without the help of the wikis or clans or whatnot, i did it hardcore trial and error, and now i'm on my longest survivor, he has everything and he's up north. Here's my tips for you: First, when you spawn and have nothing to lose, its a good idea to RUN through cherno and elektro, stop at churches, supermarkets, office buildings and hospitals. Do it quick, don't worry about zeds, you'll lose them in buildings. Running through town makes it hard for snipers to shoot you. It's also a good idea to do it on low pop servers, but it's manageable otherwise. In an ideal run, you'll skip town with a map, matches, knife, hatchet (everything to cook meat), a water bottle, a gun (or two), a morphine injector and the rest is gravy. After that, you want to leave town, maybe go get yourself some cooked meat. You can find a bigger backpack in many places, it'll come along. After that, just head north, with a water bottle and an animal's worth of meat, explore the wilderness, you'll have all your time. There are plenty of unmarked treasure troves on the map, like castles and deer stands. From there, your ultimate destination is the north, where there are airfields and probably an untimely death, but at least you'll have made it to where the big boys are. Hope this helps!

I tend to pick a server with ~20 people in it.

If I get shot even then, I just blame myself for sucking at stealth.

(I'm generally an awesome stealth player, if I can say so myself. many people have ran right past me.)

The only real way to be consistently successful, and to do it with relative speed, is to play as a team. Avoiding other players is a good idea but it is inevitable a player will cross your path some time.

That's not to say being a lone wolf is impossible, just considerably more difficult.

Edited by The Batman

So, I really enjoy this game. But i was curious about something: How do people cope with getting killed constantly by other players? I feel as though anytime I successfully make it to Cherno or Elektro to get supplies, just as I am about to vacate the city, I get sniped, or brutally murdered. Granted, there is no use bitching about this, since it is clearly part of the game, and not going anywhere, but how do you guys deal with it?

Do you join lower populated servers? I do not want to ALT-F4, and will never chicken out. However, I'd like to get up North oneday and take on the airfields up there. Just frustrating at times, but maybe I just need to get a lot more skilled at DayZ before I start complaining.

You avoid being seen by other players unless you are playing with a group.

Use cover, AVOID the bigger cities at all costs and move slowly everywhere you go. Scan the hillsides, buildings, treelines etc every time you move from cover to cover.

Accept that other players fear you as much as you fear them and if they have a weapon they are most likely going to kill you.

If you see another player, back away and leave the area (unless you are armed and prepared for a shootout or hatchet fight).

If you have to shoot a zombie or make any noise, IMMEDIATELY leave the area, the sound will attract other players who will come kill you.

And practice this....after a while your lifespans get longer and longer.

Good call on all fronts. I just lack patience I guess, Since it's so easy to outrun Zombies now, I just book it to Cherno and Elektro, trying to gather anything I can find, and then high-tail it out of there. I just need to do it on a lower populated server I suppose.

Avoid Cherno and Elektro I honestly get shot at less at the NW airfield than in either of those cities. You dont even need to hit them at start theres supermarkets further North and plenty of big barns.deerstands to tool up at.

+1

Don't go to Cherno or Elektro if you don't want to die. You can find all the same supplies in other places.

Edited by Super67_
  • Like 1

yeah dodge those two dingy death holes and find your self a nice loot route, does mean it will take 3-4 hours gathering what you could get in electro in an hour (provided it hasnt already been robbed out of good stuff) but the good news is you get to live 3-4 hours

Listen up, bro. Im playin' this mod about 7 days already, im veteran of ArmA 2, and what I can say its game where you must feel like a soldier. This is not game for casuals, its really hard on start, but you will be satisfied when you get some nice items / weapons. Good towns will be for you Elektro and Cherno, ye its pretty dangerous, but you can easly get food, weapons here. In Cherno there are 2 military tents so nice weapons can spawn there. Just good luck to you and have fun, you should get some friends to play with.

Playing on your own makes you the "Sam Fisher" or the "Solid Snake" of the DayZ world. Keep that in your mind, check your corners and try not to trail zombies about as that makes you an obvious target. Listen for footsteps while your looting and you should prevail. Grab minimum supplys like an axe and a pistol. A few cans of food and drink and high tail it outa there !

I dunno bout you guys but im having more fun killing those damn zombies that aggro me no matter how careful i sneak around, than an unarmed newb.

The whole "being killed constantly" is largely exaggerated. Mostly its people just running around into the hotspots without any idea what they are doing. Since I've been playing DayZ (1.5.6 I think) I got killed only twice by another player. The game isn't deathmatch, but currently its also not safe to trust any other players except you can be certain they won't harm you or do not have the means to harm you.

Just frustrating at times, but maybe I just need to get a lot more skilled at DayZ before I start complaining.

you answered your own question. if you always get killed while looting coastla cities, you aren't very good at the game. learn from your mistakes. always think about what you were doing when you got shot. then avoid doing that again. play, play, play. and you will improve, or you will rage quit.

Stop fucking going to Elektro.

That's all I can say really, if you want to live, head in-land.

There are dicks on the internet and dicks in DayZ that just want to kill you for your beans for the fun of it, as most players think this is like Battlefield.

Granted, I do shoot other survivors I don't know whenever I spot them as most likely, they are hostile. Don't try and befriend people in DayZ as you're just going to have a bad time. Join a group and play with them.

I just shoot everything that moves while in Electro and Cherno. Get my shit and get out. Those places are shit compared to the NWAF anyways.

Oh if you think getting killed by players is bad wait till some bug kills you or makes all your gear vanish, after a few days of playing I have so far had my legs broken by people walking into me, hopping over sandbags, I parked a truck and got out my friend said it was still moving and but it was clearly parked as I was no longer in it, and he got out and was killed, had guns vanish from my inventory, get 1shotted by a zombie, accidently joined a hacked server where everything is on fire and you die instantly.

I could go on with the things that I have raged over in the last 3 days but I am sure there will be more to come, so far getting killed by other players would be atleast satisfying rather then getting trolled by bugs.

play with other people

avoid large cities

avoid people you dont know

My experience will be loot the 2 major cities only at night, if u r stealthy...when i freshspawn and go there during the day i get way more murders than while night raiding