oshi7

CryEngine 3 - Possible?

The fact would be that Rocket would still be modding someone else's game. He would still have great difficulty implementing certain changes or wouldn't be able to make them at all, ontop of the fact that Bohemia would still be raking in all the profits from his work while he would be left with zip. - Rocket works for Bohemia

In addition, for all we know Arma III will be moddable to an even lesser extent than Arma II is. - Bohemia told Rocket to work on DayZ full time, why would they NOT give him the tools to play with the ARMA3 engine?

It makes more sense for Rocket to move onto a standalone game with the Day Z concept; sure there is a lot of work involved, but it will pay off eventually, whereas modding will never pay off (unless you end up being one of those lucky modders who gets hired for their skill or their work gets bought out, which I have only heard of happening to source modders since Valve are pretty cool dudes). For the above reasons, no it doesnt

UDK is his best bet IMO, since it is the most accessible engine available for use by indie developers (Epic Games provides great support, and you only have to look at games like Arkham City, Gears of War or Bioshock 2 to see what its capable of). - No it's not

Rocket said there would be something in September and ARMA 3 gets released in 2013. Do you guys think that Rocket will stick with Arma2 (RV3) or RV4?

Thank you for the corrections.

Have they given him the tools to make any changes he wants to Arma II? If they'll give him full modding support for Arma III, then I'm fully supportive of that idea.

The fact would be that Rocket would still be modding someone else's game.

Uhh what? This thread has nothing to do with making a Day Z mod for Crysis2. Its about making Day Z standalone on CryEngine3. Big difference. Which Rocket has already said he is going to do. Its either stay with the RV3 (current) if he does or move to another engine. RV4, UDK, and CE3 are all possibilities.

Thank you for the corrections.

Have they given him the tools to make any changes he wants to Arma II? If they'll give him full modding support for Arma III, then I'm fully supportive of that idea.

ARMA2 came well before DayZ was thought about so I don't think they'd bother letting him drastically change the engine. Since DayZ boosted the sales of ARMA2 by about 172938127387% (numbers may be slightly off) I would hazard a guess that Bohemia is ensuring that the ARMA3 engine can do everything that DayZ needs it to do. I have no evidence or sources, but it just makes business sense to avoid reworking an engine that is currently being developed

• Like 2

Rocket said there would be something in September and ARMA 3 gets released in 2013. Do you guys think that Rocket will stick with Arma2 (RV3) or RV4?

Arma 3 still says it will be released in Q4 2012 on their website.

Bohemia don't let mods mess with ARMA's source code

they do let stand alone expansions mess with source code (cf Take on Helicopters, Iron Front...)

Uhh what? This thread has nothing to do with making a Day Z mod for Crysis2. Its about making Day Z standalone on CryEngine3. Big difference. Which Rocket has already said he is going to do. Its either stay with the RV3 (current) if he does or move to another engine. RV4, UDK, and CE3 are all possibilities.

You should have taken the time to read the quote from the person I was replying to. The dude was referring to ARMA III, not Crysis 2.

I really do not care if it is Frostbite, CryEngine, Unreal 4, Arma3 or that other one from Square Enix... just, please, please, not Arma2 Engine. It's complete shit. It takes up so much resources for outdated graphics...

I'm still very curious why this topic is still going.

Rocket will use Real Virtuality engine, no question about it. Whether it's an optimised ArmA 2 engine or a complete switch to ArmA 3's engine is not known.

This talk about CE3, Frostbite etc is just pointless. 1. Buying licenses for those engines would be multi-million dollar contracts, which is stupid. 2. The RV engine is extremely powerful, thus why it lags on less powerful PC's. I'd say get used to the RV engine as I'm nearly completely certain Day Z will be staying on that engine. Once the game goes standalone, Rocket is able to modify quite a bit of the original source code, engine code etc. The Standalone Day Z will be completely different (in good ways) from the mod, even though it's on the same engine.

And please, stop ditching the RV engine saying it's not optimised and it's shit. It is one of the most powerful engines currently circulating. Sure it isn't as pretty as your Frostbite and CE3, but RV is an awesome engine. For a small team working in the Czech Republic with not massive amounts of money behind them like the big players like DICE and Crytek, they have put out one fabulous engine, cut them a little bit of slack here and there.

Matt

• Like 4

I'm still very curious why this topic is still going.

Rocket will use Real Virtuality engine, no question about it. Whether it's an optimised ArmA 2 engine or a complete switch to ArmA 3's engine is not known.

This talk about CE3, Frostbite etc is just pointless. 1. Buying licenses for those engines would be multi-million dollar contracts, which is stupid. 2. The RV engine is extremely powerful, thus why it lags on less powerful PC's. I'd say get used to the RV engine as I'm nearly completely certain Day Z will be staying on that engine. Once the game goes standalone, Rocket is able to modify quite a bit of the original source code, engine code etc. The Standalone Day Z will be completely different (in good ways) from the mod, even though it's on the same engine.

And please, stop ditching the RV engine saying it's not optimised and it's shit. It is one of the most powerful engines currently circulating. Sure it isn't as pretty as your Frostbite and CE3, but RV is an awesome engine. For a small team working in the Czech Republic with not massive amounts of money behind them like the big players like DICE and Crytek, they have put out one fabulous engine, cut them a little bit of slack here and there.

Matt

What this man say.

Especially when most of you don't know shit about it. That's like comparing how two cars perform based on the paint job and the sound of the exhaust.

Yeah, like Arma2 is able to perform anything that the other engines can't. Graphically it's just outdated, by years.

The RV engine is extremely powerful, thus why it lags on less powerful PC's.

It's shit. Deal with it and don't try to suger candy it. I run GeForce GTX 670, AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Processor and 8 GB RAM and drop below 30 FPS in the cities. Don't tell me my PC is not powerful enough for it.

• Like 3

I think that this is a good idea but creating this by one person would be very difficult?

I run GeForce GTX 670, AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Processor and 8 GB RAM and drop below 30 FPS in the cities. Don't tell me my PC is not powerful enough for it.

ARMA is an intensely CPU driven game, requiring very high per-core performance

AMD CPUs are weak on a per-core basis, and in all gaming benchmarks, including ARMA, your 1090T is simply not good enough

• Like 3

AMD CPUs are weak on a per-core basis, and in all gaming benchmarks, including ARMA, your 1090T is simply not good enough

So then, what about my i5-2500k @ 4.4Ghz, GTX 670 FTW, 8GB RAM that gets exact same FPS when running 1920x1080 settings maxed?

In DayZ the problems are because of DayZ code, not ARMA

in ARMA II, if you can't run 10km draw maxxed out on that rig then something's wrong with your PSU or something:

I have a 2500k, two 6950s and get 50+ fps maxxed anywhen, DayZ or ACE

oh, and disable all AA: foliage artifacts under all forms of AA

Edited by Sandy

So then, what about my i5-2500k @ 4.4Ghz, GTX 670 FTW, 8GB RAM that gets exact same FPS when running 1920x1080 settings maxed?

Because you should ditch the Foxconn MoBo... Having fancy parts that you order off Newegg doesn't necessarily mean you have a "beast machine". What's you Power supply like? Your Bus speeds? Cooling system? Drivers? A thousand other things I can't think of right now?

Do you have an SSD? Are you using 32bit or 64bit Windows? Are you even using Windows?

I have a similar computer in build to you and I get far more FPS than you are claiming to get

Because you should ditch the Foxconn MoBo... Having fancy parts that you order off Newegg doesn't necessarily mean you have a "beast machine". What's you Power supply like? Your Bus speeds? Cooling system? Drivers? A thousand other things I can't think of right now?

Let me say this differently then, Day Z is the only thing I have framerate issues with. Everything else runs amazingly. Beyond amazing. Its just this game. Ive even gone through all the settings and forums to make sure that my gfx settings are all set to be the best they can and just crap.

Also, do you run the 3D Resolution at 1920x1080 or the standard lower default even if you choose the high/very high preset? There are two, resolution and 3d resolution. Because if I run it at the preset default, I get 65-80fps.

but you see, intel fanboyery isnt an arguement against the fact that AMD CPUs are more than capable of running ARMA and other games. You also pay half as much for a processor of THE SAME PERFORMANCE. so what if an i7 is as good as the FX 8 cores, when the AMD is only $160, whereas the equivalent i7 is $400.

but you see, intel fanboyery isnt an arguement against the fact that AMD CPUs are more than capable of running ARMA and other games. You also pay half as much for a processor of THE SAME PERFORMANCE. so what if an i7 is as good as the FX 8 cores, when the AMD is only $160, whereas the equivalent i7 is $400.

can you show me an AMD CPU matching an Intel CPU of the same price for fps in ARMA II?

nope

I can however show you AMD CPUs OC'ed by 30% getting outperformed by cheaper, older Intel CPUs

http://www.bit-tech....-3770k-review/7

instead of accusing unbiased enthusiasts of fanboyism, why don't you stop pulling numbers out your ass and do some research?

Edited by Sandy
  • Like 1

It's shit. Deal with it and don't try to suger candy it. I run GeForce GTX 670, AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Processor and 8 GB RAM and drop below 30 FPS in the cities. Don't tell me my PC is not powerful enough for it.

Your PC isn't powerful enough for it...

As someone stated it's very CPU intensive. I currently have a i7-3700, 16GB DDR3 and a GTX 580 - nothing fancy. I can run everything max, view distance at 10km, AA not too bad. My FPS doesn't drop below 45. Sometime it does it big online Co-op games (with lots of other players -> not DayZ). But that's in extreme cases.

Give me a engine that gives you a 10km view distance and doesn't require loading here and there. CE3 and Frostbite cannot. I guarantee it.

Stop ditching RV engine, Day Z will inevitably use it, so ditching it now just makes you look like an idiot. Get used to it. And trust me, there are MANY improvements in RV4 that the E3 videos don't even touch on, so if Day Z does use that, screw CE3 and Frostbite, we're in for one hell of a gorgeous experience.

Edited by Antipop
  • Like 2

I really would like to hear Rocket's view point in using RV4 instead of CE3/UE. I'm pretty sure it's the best option but please Rocket, make a comment to all those people bashing the RV engine and let them know why you are using it and not the others!

I wonder if it Rocket would be open to the idea of having people work in tangent with him and develop DayZ on CryEngine or Unreal Engine while he continues with Arma...