oshi7

CryEngine 3 - Possible?

i was referring to open world games. but who cares anyway...

mmorpgs? the only mmorpgs i can remember are Aion(CryEngine1) wich pretty much fail, and ArchAge which is still in beta, if i rememmber correctly. but mmorpg its a little different story, due to have server part made.

It's not about the games being win or fail, but the capabilities of the engine. Aion could handle large numbers of people on a large world, that's the only part we should care about, not about if the game is good or bad.

wont lie, i might`ve missed something..

but dafaq Fry Cry is? if you meant Far Cry... Only first one was based on Cry Engine, and of course that wasnt CryEngine 3 and it wasnt a free roam shooter either. Crysis 1 and 2 actually corridor shooters with addition of some open space.

i was referring to open world games. but who cares anyway...

mmorpgs? the only mmorpgs i can remember are Aion(CryEngine1) wich pretty much fail, and ArchAge which is still in beta, if i rememmber correctly. but mmorpg its a little different story, due to have server part made.

Ubisoft licensed a version of CE for use as the engine for the FarCry franchise. So yes, FC2 runs on a CE variant.

It seems like a great idea, but as many people have previously said - it would require a hell of a lot of coding and work from rocket. The feel of Dayz is created through so many things: the slow encumbered movement, the colour scheme and graphics, the way the weapons shoot. How can you create all of that from scratch and keep the same fundamental feel to the game? The answer is you really can't. There are a lot of things that have sped up the development of Dayz since most of the systems and particularly the weapons are already inbuilt.

Whilst Rocket could possibly do it, it would be a hell of a lot of work and would likely result in the game having a completely different feel and character. Personally I like the feel of Dayz at the moment but I guess I agree with you to a point - Real Virtuality, or whatever the Arma engine is called, isn't the best I've come across. Cry Engine 3 always reminds me of the Cinema, its shiny and refined and the types of projects that use it tend to be big and flashy but typically limited and "boxed" experiences. Alternative engines such as Real Virtuality and the new Gamebryo engine (lol) tend to be built for specific purposes and do it well, whilst they're not very versatile it just so happens that Arma and Dayz have a lot in common - it's unsurprising therefore that Rocket is finding it easy to develop on it.

I think you're correct when you say it is more likely that we'll see a "spin off" like CryZ before we'll see Dayz go to a completely new engine. You never know though, perhaps it will get to the point where the limitations of Real Virtuality will outweigh the benefit for Rocket - but from the looks of it we're nowhere near there yet.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Edited by Sanimus

Ubisoft licensed a version of CE for use as the engine for the FarCry franchise. So yes, FC2 runs on a CE variant.

kinda missed that. not a original engine though.

• Like 1

netcode

most engines have to be rewritten to handle multiplayer

cryengine 3 can handle multiplayer, but can it sync all the shit that DayZ needs? probably not - the only large worlds running lots of people on the Cryengine is Aion, and Aion's player actions are of negligible detail next to those required by ARMA, not to mention that Aion instances its world into smaller parts, whilst Arma's map is a complete unit

I don't have any doubt that if Rocket doesn't do a DayZ on CryEngine, some will appear, I don't any doubt about it, since it's suggested here, I think some players that know coding will get this idea and build it. But I would really like if that person is Rocket :c

• Like 1

I'm more stoked for DayZ on Arma 3

The first half we've seen before, but there's some newer stuff in the second half.

Edited by Publik
  • Like 7

in fact, GIMME YOUR BEANS FOR THAT SUGGESTION

if i was rocket, or any other dev for that matter, i would find this suggestion an insult.

"hey i know you've spent months of hard work creating this mod....BUT COULD YOU PLEASE START AGAIN FROM SCRATCH ON A DIFFERENT GAME?"

Edited by Pte.Robinson-6th AB-
  • Like 3

He's already spoken about possibly going to other engines, this isn't a new idea either, just a thought. You might not want it, fine, but rather than bash the idea mindlessly, how about you add to the conversation? Might be a bit too much for someone who types in all caps, though.

• Like 4

From what I have seen the idea for a stand alone DayZ will be like a very simplified Eve Online/MineCraft hybrid. The new ArmA 3 engine along with the current one has a very good editor already in place to make that happen. So trying to do that in the cry engine will be impossible.

Well, I really hope when DayZ become a Stand Alone game, it should take some physical aspects from CryEngine 3 at least

• Like 1

This kind of cracks me up. Not sure why...maybe its the fanboy thing....maybe its because you show people a couple of sparkly tech demos and they wet their pants. I personally like BIS's engine. It has a nice weighty feel to it, like i'm really there in the world. CryEngine and others have a floaty video game feel to them which make me feel like i'm playing a game. Whats it called Virtual Reality Engine?? Its got that simulator feel to it. I like it. Hope it doesn't move to CryEngine

Also its very good at handling huge numbers of A.I.

Edited by playZ
  • Like 7

Yeah i love how peoples are drooling on cryengine videos. But hey that's marketing at work.

"It looks so good, it MUST be superior!"

• Like 3

I've actually played with CryEngine and made some maps, fucked around with flowgraphs etc. I'm not "wetting my pants over tech demos" but am simply amazed that I, with bare minimum experience, was able to create something relatively good looking and made AI that could navigate around and try to take me down etc. With proper use of portals, maps and cities can be huge and incredibly detailed and the engine is far more intuitive and natural than how Real Virtuality feels.

I've actually played with CryEngine and made some maps, fucked around with flowgraphs etc. I'm not "wetting my pants over tech demos" but am simply amazed that I, with bare minimum experience, was able to create something relatively good looking and made AI that could navigate around and try to take me down etc. With proper use of portals, maps and cities can be huge and incredibly detailed and the engine is far more intuitive and natural than how Real Virtuality feels.

Yeah...you are repeating yourself now. Its easy to use...you made a couple maps. I'm not convinced Edited by playZ

If there is one engine I would like DayZ to be made in other than ARMA, it would definitely be Unreal 4.

Edited by Great Scott
  • Like 1

As much as I like DayZ right now, I'd love to see DayZ on CryEngine 3. I love the look of the CryEngine 3 and from what you've been saying it seems very flexible to do many things with.

If Rocket had been saying that he would like to move to another engine, this would be a great move.

+1 To this,

~And to all of those who think there PC cannot run the game, I think (not 100% sure) that the ArmA 3 Engine requires more PC value than the CryEngine 3. (if rocket were to choose between the two)

Just so you know, the BeamNG project is completely separate from Cryengine 3 and is not currently included.

As much as i love DayZ i would like to throw my support behind a move to this engine. Some things may have to change, but i would be willing to bet you could end up implementing all the things in Cryengine that you can in arma and then some. Plus this could immediately and drastically reduce/eliminate the massive numbers of hackers on the arma 2 engine.

The hacking stays the same... I still have a hack laying around in my pc somewhere from the day crysis 2 was released... i bet your ass it still works ... you know why? Becaus PB sucks. And even if they switch engine the anti-cheat engine will stay the same or become a diffrent well known engine or a do-it-your-self anti cheat...

And if they switch engines the maps will be smaller .. alot smaller.

Just so you know, the BeamNG project is completely separate from Cryengine 3 and is not currently included.

I'm aware, but it shows how far you can take CryEngine 3 and possibly even include if the money is right. We all know there are publishers trying to throw money at DayZ right now.

@ Great Scott. As i was getting to the bottom of this thread i couldnt wait to say Unreal 4. you beat me to it.

You have my beans.

Edited by iSayNo