Sign in to follow this  
SP00KEH

I got killed by a server hopper. I quit.

Oh no, he was definitely a server hopper. I am constantly pressing P every minute or so to check if anyone is joining the game just to make sure they don't spawn in the spot I'm camping. He was in the server for no more than 5 minutes before I shot him. I forget his name though because it was a bunch of numbers and letters.

meh, these accusations are a slippery slope. if I log out anywhere near the NWA, chances are I'm gonna head to the barracks when I log back in and start playing again. does that make me a "server-hopper"?

Edited by daze23

meh, these accusations are a slippery slope. if I log out anywhere near the NWA, chances are I'm gonna head to the barracks when I log back in and start playing again. does that make me a "server-hopper"

You may not be a server hopper. But if you see someone inside the barracks are you actually going to stop and see if he's going to shoot at you, or are you going to open fire on him? I sure as hell wouldn't take the chance. I've never met a friendly that far up north. I doubt I ever will.

Do you at least have your GED? You just come off as the kind of person who doesn't.

This community doesn't strike me as being particularly intelligent either, so I would simply recommend you cut your losses and stop attempting to reason with it.

Keep in mind that a large percentage of the DayZ player base is composed of idiotic teenagers on summer vacation; it doesn't get much worst than this...

In any case, I completely agree that server hopping should be a top priority for Rocket and his band of merry men. After all, if they're able to spawn people in a debug area prior to acquiring and teleporting the players to their "in map" coordinates using the HIVE database, they should be able to add a function that checks whether or not other players are in the immediate vicinity, at which point altered spawn coordinates are chosen for the player attempting to spawn in...

In any case, that's enough from me...

Look, i dont agree with the whole "YOU MUST BE A DUMBASS KID LOL" shit thats being said, but you are Definitely a dumbass. Your post started with practically "Guys i painted a bigass target on my head, and just stood in one location and someone logged in and killed me" okay.. yeah, maybe if you had went 12-13 feet away from that building to the dense ass forest and waited WELL HIDDEN like any intelligent person would have done...you would still be alive, and you would have gotten the drop on those server hoppers.

I dont think people should be comparing you to a little kid (seeing as 80% of the players i meet are 13-14 years old)....i have yet to meet someone my age.

So instead? We should insult your intelligence.

Learn some tactics, Learn how to not just sit in a high-value military building waiting..and waiting.

Because guess what? Im sure server-hoppers or not. someone somewhere was watching you, OR/ Someone was already waiting for you OR/ someone would have walked in and gotten the drop on you.

Good day

That is all.

Dying to server hopping sucks...But the OP could have avoided his.

Edited by Brachra
  • Like 1

You may not be a server hopper. But if you see someone inside the barracks are you actually going to stop and see if he's going to shoot at you, or are you going to open fire on him? I sure as hell wouldn't take the chance. I've never met a friendly that far up north. I doubt I ever will.

I don't care. my point is you probably would have got a kill there eventually regardless of server-hoppers

It makes me sad to see such an awesome game, to have such a shitty community.

You're surprised?

It's mainly composed of teenagers and people who "meta game" (and have no honor) by server hopping (and sometimes disconnecting) when engagements don't go their way.

There's a reason most first-person shooters and MMOs are locked down tighter than inmates at Guantanamo. The community can't be trusted to behave itself.

Your first mistake was waiting in one of the airfields. If you know anything at all its that airfields are hot spots for bandits. Second mistake is not only waiting in an airfield but the BARRACKS?? What the actual f**k? Third is waiting in the showers. I think you know what they say about showers. Anyway your a noob and you were asking to get killed by a bandit. You were a sitting duck. That is all.

A bandit is not the same as a server hopper, and I think anyone with half a brain knows that... but otherwise I agree.

Humans always seek the path of least resistance, and always (ab)use any advantage possible. That's just in our nature, sad as it might be.

If someone can disconnect to avoid being killed, they will do so.

If someone can disconnect, log onto another server and flank you, then log back into your server, they will do so.

If someone can kill you without consequence, they will do so.

If someone can use cheats or scripts to gain an advantage, they will do so.

If you want a game, or people in general, to move in a specific direction you need to impose rules and whip them into place. Incentives only go so far, and are by far the least effective method of making humans follow directions.

There needs to be a mechanic that prevents and punishes people using logoffski to save themselves.

There needs to be a mechanic that prevents and punishes people logging off to flank or ambush people by moving "unseen" on other servers.

There needs to be features that encourage teamplay above deathmatch.

There needs to be a mechanic that prevents and punishes people for using cheats and scripts.

Until those things are implemented, this game will remain a deathmatch sniper simulator with the options to avoid death by logging off, or gaining advantages by abusing cheats, exploits and scripts.

Once you got your AS50, Ghillie Suit and have a camp with some friends, with plenty of food and drink... then where do you go from there? You get bored and go kill people, cause there's not really anything else to do. You got the best gear, you don't need to run into towns to get food and drink... the best you can hope for is being killed and start from scratch again.

In the end though. This is the internet. Everybody is retarded on the internet.

You're on the internet. I'm comfortable giving you beans for this.

I don't care. my point is you probably would have got a kill there eventually regardless of server-hoppers

So what if he did? There's no rule saying he can't camp at a valuable loot location. It's other peoples job to check and clear the area before rushing in headstrong. If you rush into the barracks without first looking through the windows on the back side, to make sure there's no one in there doing just that, you deserve to walk in and take a bullet(s) to the face. I've done the same thing he has done, except in a different way. I'll sit with my .50 cal in the compound(metal industrial shack) aiming right at the doorway to the northern barracks. If someone spawns in there, they die. And there's nothing saying I can't do that as a bandit. Some people may dislike it, but the fact remains. Either A) You served hopped the barracks, or B) You were dumb enough to log off in possibly the worst area in the entire game for PK'ing. My goal is more about getting the people that spawn in there with the intention of hopping for loot. I sat in my spot one day, just for kicks and didn't shoot anyone unless they were leaving the barracks and approaching my position. In about 3 hours, I counted almost 15 people who spawned in there, milled around for 30 seconds, and then disappeared. I was disgusted to be honest, but I had to see it for myself. Now they start eating bullets.

I sat in an unpopulated server's barracks last night waiting for server hoppers. About 30-45 minutes in to my camping, someone was nice enough to come strolling in to the barracks, when I unloaded no less than 100 M249 bullets in to his body. Thanks for the NVG's, bro!

What makes you think that was a server hopper, and not just some poor player working his way in there to get some loot. Don't make assumptions.

But nice kill. Also why I NEVER go there. B)

Edited by Slyder73

I was sitting in the shower room of the barracks in the airfield waiting for my friend to connect so we could continue. Somebody hopping servers and looting the barracks from server to server connects, shoots us both, then disconnects 5 minutes later. I quit. I'm not looking for any more crash sites. Not scavenging any more buildings. I quit. Too many people shoot first and ask questions later. I really wish I could just have my own passworded server so I could avoid shit like this.

Peace. I give up on DayZ.

Yeah, getting killed by hoppers is annoying, but it's one of those things we must deal with if we want to participate in the alpha testing process. If you're unable to deal with that, then you should quit. Step back and wait for the game to be further along in it's development, and things are in place to prevent these exploits. But you cannot expect people to care, as we all deal with the same shit but keep playing because we understand that we are testers and not paying customers.

So what if he did? There's no rule saying he can't camp at a valuable loot location.

I agree. I was just pointing out that what he was doing isn't something that's gonna necessarily lead to killing "server-hoppers"

The first time I was at the NW airbase, we all lost connection right outside the barracks due to a server reset (or something)...When we spawned back in on another server, there was 1 more of us than before...

My two friends were nosing around the guy, who was AFK, while I tried to convince them to just leave him alone and get out of the area. He came back, and opened fire on them and killed them both, then turned and shot me as I was leaving the area because I wanted nothing to do with what the other two were doing.

I managed to get behind a tree and bandaged myself as the guy had brought every zombie in the area down on himself so I had time to escape.

I toyed with going back and killing the guy, but it wasn't my fight and if they had listened to me they wouldn't have been killed.

After that I realised that this area was a very bad place to spawn (not that we had a choice). The air base in general seems like a horrible place to be, even if I did get an M16 and 120 rounds of ammo there.

After escaping the air base...I was down to 2000 blood, my friend that I met up with was down to 260 blood...We somehow managed to find a cow, pig, sheep and a goat while half blind and replenished all of our blood...I am still alive! Nothing about it was easy. Chin up!

• Like 1

you should have just left the server after dieing so the POS hopper would get no gear for you. I say if you kill a player within x amount of time joining or are killed while loading, the bodies auto hide, this would than mean killing players by server hopping has no loot gains and logging out while about to die means you can't get your gear back.

Edited by Orthus

So funny to see people crying in here for getting shot. You were only at the airfield... Just Spawn and run back...

What makes you think that was a server hopper, and not just some poor player working his way in there to get some loot. Don't make assumptions.

But nice kill. Also why I NEVER go there. B)

Well, as I stated in a later post, that he was only on the server for about 5 minutes. And he was by no means "poor" The guy was loaded. Coyote pack, NVG's, AS50, PP-19, all the tools pretty much besides a range finder.

I agree. I was just pointing out that what he was doing isn't something that's gonna necessarily lead to killing "server-hoppers"

And I know I'll most likely end up killing people that have been on the server for a while. But, server hoppers love unpopulated servers. So, I would assume more often than not, it'd be the hoppers I'm killing. Either way, loot is loot. =D

Humans always seek the path of least resistance, and always (ab)use any advantage possible. That's just in our nature, sad as it might be.

If someone can disconnect to avoid being killed, they will do so.

If someone can disconnect, log onto another server and flank you, then log back into your server, they will do so.

If someone can kill you without consequence, they will do so.

If someone can use cheats or scripts to gain an advantage, they will do so.

If you want a game, or people in general, to move in a specific direction you need to impose rules and whip them into place. Incentives only go so far, and are by far the least effective method of making humans follow directions.

There needs to be a mechanic that prevents and punishes people using logoffski to save themselves.

There needs to be a mechanic that prevents and punishes people logging off to flank or ambush people by moving "unseen" on other servers.

There needs to be features that encourage teamplay above deathmatch.

There needs to be a mechanic that prevents and punishes people for using cheats and scripts.

Until those things are implemented, this game will remain a deathmatch sniper simulator with the options to avoid death by logging off, or gaining advantages by abusing cheats, exploits and scripts.

Once you got your AS50, Ghillie Suit and have a camp with some friends, with plenty of food and drink... then where do you go from there? You get bored and go kill people, cause there's not really anything else to do. You got the best gear, you don't need to run into towns to get food and drink... the best you can hope for is being killed and start from scratch again.

i dont do it, and the same with my group, if we die we die and try to get our loot back and cover it with those alive. so not everyone

Too many people shoot first and ask questions later.

I had my back to the wall, anybody running in and opening the door would have gotten 30 rounds in the chest.

i'm a little late to this party, and it's 7 pages deep so i may be saying something already pointed out by others but... sounds like you're part of the problem you complained about.

Edited by p1n34l
  • Like 2

It makes me sad to see such an awesome game, to have such a shitty community.

Apparently you don't hang out over on the Diablo 3 forums often. This community is a pussy cat compared to the Diablo 3 community...