trickster234

AS50, Mil-Dots and Ranging

knowing anything about true target aquisition and ranging long distance shots helps, but i understand not all of you are Marines and most havent been hounded with training for this over many years so to break it down barney style for most of you look at this

http://www.mil-dot.com/user-guide

helps explain how to gauge distance of targets using simple formulas used by the USMC, USArmy, USNavy and anyone using a mil-dot equipped scope... hope this helps

Is this what you are looking for? http://wolverine.cam...ectionGuide.pdf

Nope, that's not it either. I know that one, it just shows the tables for mil-dot adjustment. Who uses those these days on anything but the DMR?

I believe the pdf that Trickster has is just the calculations for range done put into a table. I could easily do it myself, but I'll be the first to admit that I'm horribly lazy.

you can also try getting a mil-dot cheat sheet app for your phone, allows you to adjust target size with distance and adjust it to the mil-dot on the sight to give you a range, allowing you to make zeroing corrections more quickly but seriously the formulas are pretty damn easy to do in your head at the drop of a hat... simple division if you use 2000m as a constant and assume the target is 72 in tall standing. gets trickier when they go prone

Using a mil dot reticle is a mathematical proposition requiring some calculating in order to arrive at a solution. For range estimation problems there are three components; target size (Tz), mils read (m) and range ®. You MUST have two of the three to arrive at the third component. Most commonly, the shooter will know the target size and by using the reticle will arrive at mils read, here are the formulas;

Target size (in yards) x 1000 / Mils read = yards to target

Target size (in meters) x 1000 / Mils read = meters to target

To figure out the range with your target being known in inches instead of meters or yards

For Meters:

• Object size (in) divided by 39 x 1000 divided by mils read
  • Object size (in) x 25.4 divided by mils read

Edited by Acix

I quite literally made an account just to post a reply to this one topic. You should feel special, this got me to stop being lazy.

To all of those simply saying that he doesn't understand the mildot system, or that the zeroing is accurate. Take a second to reread what the man posted. Zeroing with the weapon is accurate, you zero to 700 meters, you shoot to 700 meters. The problem is that finding range with the mildots is off. First thing first, to get even a slightly accurate mildot reading, so that you're not off -as- much, make sure you're using the + on the numpad to get fully zoomed in. Even after that, the AS50 is off.

To the person saying it's a brittish weapon and thus weird. Brittish use NATO standard just like the vast majority of people, theres no reason for mildots to be any different, because irl, they arent. It's a bug, in short.

In single player, you can adjust this by changing parameter:discretefov[] = { 0.075500, 0.024900 } into : discretefov[] = { 0.075500, 0.018000 };

However, you can't join a DayZ server with that.

In short, the AS50's mildots -are- incorrect, but you'll only really notice it after 500 meters.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?137307-BAF-Scope-Crosshair-on-AS50-wrong-size-miscalibrated&p=2189845#post2189845

That was likely the best link posted in this thread. I invite you all to go open up a custom shooting game to show the issue.

• Like 1

I quite literally made an account just to post a reply to this one topic. You should feel special, this got me to stop being lazy.

To all of those simply saying that he doesn't understand the mildot system, or that the zeroing is accurate. Take a second to reread what the man posted. Zeroing with the weapon is accurate, you zero to 700 meters, you shoot to 700 meters. The problem is that finding range with the mildots is off. First thing first, to get even a slightly accurate mildot reading, so that you're not off -as- much, make sure you're using the + on the numpad to get fully zoomed in. Even after that, the AS50 is off.

To the person saying it's a brittish weapon and thus weird. Brittish use NATO standard just like the vast majority of people, theres no reason for mildots to be any different, because irl, they arent. It's a bug, in short.

In single player, you can adjust this by changing parameter:discretefov[] = { 0.075500, 0.024900 } into : discretefov[] = { 0.075500, 0.018000 };

However, you can't join a DayZ server with that.

In short, the AS50's mildots -are- incorrect, but you'll only really notice it after 500 meters.

http://forums.bistud...845#post2189845

That was likely the best link posted in this thread. I invite you all to go open up a custom shooting game to show the issue.

Someone should post it on the bug site place.

I know how the mil system works. ;)

But like I said, the scalling of the AS50 scope is wrong.

Thats what I was telling you in my post.

The AS50 is not an ArmA gun so that's why the zeroing is wrong.

For a guy who calls arma ArmA you don't know much about arma. The reason why AS50 looks ugly is because most players dont have the BAF DLC and get the low res version.

Thats what I was telling you in my post.

sounds like its a bug issue with the AS60 and not so much range, would probably try reporting this as a bug and see if they can't get it situated

• Like 1

Nope, that's not it either. I know that one, it just shows the tables for mil-dot adjustment. Who uses those these days on anything but the DMR?

I believe the pdf that Trickster has is just the calculations for range done put into a table. I could easily do it myself, but I'll be the first to admit that I'm horribly lazy.

It not only gives mildot adjustments, there are also range calculations based on mildots in there. As an example, 4 dots tall target could mean 500 meters distance. Zero to 500, bang on target. Depending on the rifle, of course.

It won't help any with the weapon in question, being bugged as it is, I just thought it was what you were looking for.

Edited by Max Planck

You have to be fully zoomed for the mil dots to give an accurate reading of distance. You are fully zoomed right?

5 mil dots tall would make the target 400 meters/yards away if you assume the target is 72in (6ft) tall, that would be from the bottom of the reticle to the center of the cross-hairs

Use this pdf / chart for precalculated ranges based on mildot height.

http://www.filedropp...ildotrangesheet

Why? The scope on the AS50 is bugged, posting that rangesheet again and again won't change that.

If you had bothered to read the thread before boosting your post count you would know how redundant your post is.

Works for everything else in the game. The adjustments needed to be done on AS50 because of bug doesn't change that. Also, my friend uses the same chart with his AS50 and has no problem landing shots at 700-900m range. So I don't see the problem.

As for boosting post count, do you really think I care about how many posts I have or not on this forum? I participate in dozens of forums for multiple games and interests. Really couldn't care less about number of posts. Oh well, to each their own though. Enjoy your "boosted" forum posts by replying to this. Perhaps you'll reach level 10 soon.

Works for everything else in the game. The adjustments needed to be done on AS50 because of bug doesn't change that. Also, my friend uses the same chart with his AS50 and has no problem landing shots at 700-900m range. So I don't see the problem.

As for boosting post count, do you really think I care about how many posts I have or not on this forum? I participate in dozens of forums for multiple games and interests. Really couldn't care less about number of posts. Oh well, to each their own though. Enjoy your "boosted" forum posts by replying to this. Perhaps you'll reach level 10 soon.

You're a feisty one, aren't you?

I was merely pointing out that you were linking to a guide that had already been posted/linked to a couple of times. Different versions, even.

Thing is, if you try to participate without knowing what the discussion is about, you are just derailing it. Thank you for your time.

Am I level 10 now?

I found these formulas on the Day Z wiki. Are they accurate/correct?

To estimate the range to a standing player/target (height = 1.8m) while using the AS50 with 12x magnification, use the following formula: r = 1375/h (r is the target's range in meters and h is the target's height in mils). A standing player that is 5 mils tall will be 275 m from the AS50 operator.

To estimate the range to a crouched player/target (height = 1.3m) while using the AS50 with 12x magnification, use the following formula: r = 1000/h (r is the target's range in meters and h is the target's height in mils). A crouched player that is 2 mils tall will be approximately 500 m from the AS50 operator.