heretic (DayZ)

Consequences of player killing - a new direction!

It's a decent idea as I say a lot, but I think there can be better things besides this.

I think they should have a stress level. I would be full of guilt and stress if I killed to many people in my life. With that stress, if it gets to high you can become dizzy or sick when trying to move and things like that. There's nothing worse than trying to live with guilt and unhappiness of killing person.

I also think if my idea was to be in play, your stress meter would boost up higher the closer you are, because you have to deal with more stress and guilt knowing you actually killed a person, but rather if you're further away, it's harder to tell who you're shooting; so if you don't know if you're shooting a zombie or human, then you live with less guilt.

Just my 2 cents.

Keep tryin....if you take some care to read through threads relating to this matter you might understand. If you still don't then I can't help you, and maybe these types of threads aren't for you

Dunno what you think I don't understand.

This thread is about people with murders suffering hallucinations. I'd say that's a 'unique experience'. Which effects bandits.

Please explain what I'm not quite comprehending, if you would, oh great-and-all-knowing 'playZ'.

Dunno what you think I don't understand.

This thread is about people with murders suffering hallucinations. I'd say that's a 'unique experience'. Which effects bandits.

Please explain what I'm not quite comprehending, if you would, oh great-and-all-knowing 'playZ'.

Dude you are the one who said you didn't understand. Not me.

Your Words:

"Still don't understand why you guys want to give bandits a unique experience"

Edited by playZ

Still don't understand why you guys want to give bandits a unique experience in this game.

Granted, this isn't nearly as idiotic as bleeding out from PKing, but I still don't see why we have to effect bandits at all, simply because they kill people.

My original suggestion doesn't pertain to bandits alone. It was suggested as applying to every player, equally. Whether they killed in self defense or were the aggressor.

Sadly to many of the hardened PvP'ers on the forum they seem to see that as a criticism or attack on their playing style. It's certainly not intended as such.

I guess some folk do just want what ultimately amounts to little more than a deathmatch milsim with the incidentall zombie camping the weapons/ammo/loot spawns and a large map. Which is a great idea, in and of itself.

But,

Others also hope for a bit more from DayZ. Improvements to grouping, base-building, the survival and horror aspects of the mod. An end-game (dare I say it).

There appears to be room in the DayZ experiment for all of those things and more. Seeing the way that discussions in this forum degenerate into arguments, you guys, us guys and name calling as they so frequently do is a real shame and a really sad indictment of the so called "community".

Christ! What a tightrope for Rocket and the Devs. to walk.

It's a decent idea as I say a lot, but I think there can be better things besides this.

I think they should have a stress level. I would be full of guilt and stress if I killed to many people in my life. With that stress, if it gets to high you can become dizzy or sick when trying to move and things like that. There's nothing worse than trying to live with guilt and unhappiness of killing person.

I also think if my idea was to be in play, your stress meter would boost up higher the closer you are, because you have to deal with more stress and guilt knowing you actually killed a person, but rather if you're further away, it's harder to tell who you're shooting; so if you don't know if you're shooting a zombie or human, then you live with less guilt.

Just my 2 cents.

Interesting idea. Thanks. I'll sleep on it tonight and maybe have a more coherent response in the morning.

I like the idea of hallucinations for murderers, but it really comes back to the question of whether player killing is actually a "bad" thing. In a normal society, yes. In the context of a zombie apocalypse game? If it's "bad" then the hallucinations would build up to a point where they become intrusive and interfere with your life, if "good" then they would just add an element of atmosphere that would actually reward the player.

I don't wanna see it added, mainly because of the fact that I'd prolly be very annoyed by it.

That's the point, you god damn murderer!

Careful, heretic, if that horse gets any higher you're going to run low on oxygen all the way up there.

Your suggestion is a wolf in sheep's clothing and you're doing your best to keep the disguise on but it's not working. Nobody misunderstood your idea, we just saw it for what it really was. No amount of semantic dancing makes it anything but a direct detriment applied to players who kill other players.

You say "Whether they killed in self defense or were the aggressor." but you know as well as anyone that players who choose to play specifically to PvP are going to end up with more kills more often and therefore be more subject to your distractions, which as I discussed have real and concrete in-game consequences for strategy, preparation, planning, awareness, etc.

I've tried to remain civil, yet firm but now you're actually starting to piss me off. The details of your idea are plain as fucking day, dude. You wrote them up yourself. More killing = more chances for distraction. You are punishing killers.

You fall back on this claim that you are just interested in "atmosphere" and "scary stuff" but you conveniently fail to address my question as to why this wouldn't apply to Survivors and non-killers as well?

If you just want more spooky/scary stuff, then drop the "more kills more chances" bullshit and just talk about a sanity system that applies to everyone in the game. I addressed pages ago the reasons why survivors and murderers alike would be prone to psychotic breaks in Chernarus. Just because the people YOU murder are infected with a disease doesn't make you a walking fucking saint, dude. You're still slaughtering hundreds of humans.

So you need to get down off your high horse in-game as well.

Imagine that.

Stop acting like you're being persecuted by some kind of forum mob.

You're being called out because you're being semantically deceptive. You are proposing a punishment for PvP and doing everything in your fucking power to claim that's not what you're doing and it's getting silly.

Just stop.

• Like 1

I'd actually be all for this idea. It'd make those of us who play with the music off have something that makes the game more interesting while listening for footsteps. Also, make the voices/gunshot sounds sync with the sound effects over the other sound options.

PS. I play with music off because in real life you don't have an orchestra following every move you make.

Careful, heretic, if that horse gets any higher you're going to run low on oxygen all the way up there.

Your suggestion is a wolf in sheep's clothing and you're doing your best to keep the disguise on but it's not working. Nobody misunderstood your idea, we just saw it for what it really was. No amount of semantic dancing makes it anything but a direct detriment applied to players who kill other players. Blah Blah Blah

Zed- There are many people in this community who feel the rampant Pk'ng going on is a detriment to the game...There is also a large portion of the community who feels it is not. There is much agreement that as it stands the "balance" of the game is slanted sharply in favor of pk'ng. It's not an illogical out-of-nowhere punishment. Its a if you go around killing players wantonly there should be a consequence. We all understand you disagree. You're smart enough to know by the thread title what the thread is about. So if it upsets you should stay away from these threads. We know your opinion and you know ours. All your crying is not going to put an end to these type of threads...so dry your eyes and go do some PK'ng :)
  • Like 1

Your suggestion is a wolf in sheep's clothing and you're doing your best to keep the disguise on but it's not working. Nobody misunderstood your idea, we just saw it for what it really was. No amount of semantic dancing makes it anything but a direct detriment applied to players who kill other players.

You say "Whether they killed in self defense or were the aggressor." but you know as well as anyone that players who choose to play specifically to PvP are going to end up with more kills more often and therefore be more subject to your distractions, which as I discussed have real and concrete in-game consequences for strategy, preparation, planning, awareness, etc.

I've tried to remain civil, yet firm but now you're actually starting to piss me off. The details of your idea are plain as fucking day, dude. You wrote them up yourself. More killing = more chances for distraction. You are punishing killers.

You fall back on this claim that you are just interested in "atmosphere" and "scary stuff" but you conveniently fail to address my question as to why this wouldn't apply to Survivors and non-killers as well?

If you just want more spooky/scary stuff, then drop the "more kills more chances" bullshit and just talk about a sanity system that applies to everyone in the game. I addressed pages ago the reasons why survivors and murderers alike would be prone to psychotic breaks in Chernarus. Just because the people YOU murder are infected with a disease doesn't make you a walking fucking saint, dude. You're still slaughtering hundreds of humans.

So you need to get down off your high horse in-game as well.

Imagine that.

Stop acting like you're being persecuted by some kind of forum mob.

You're being called out because you're being semantically deceptive. You are proposing a punishment for PvP and doing everything in your fucking power to claim that's not what you're doing and it's getting silly.

Just stop.

NO. ZdB. You stop!

Not everybody wants to play your game! Even you describe yourself in your profile bio as "resident loud mouth" so just stop trying to pick fights with people that you disagree with!

• Like 1

Sounds like really freaking unique, but also.. I believe it would be quite annoying. I don't really know if I'd wish this being added. Some of these people in Day Z, roleplay their characters being ex-soldiers and shit. Well, Day Z is afterall a very realistic game.

I'd say the idea itself is pretty good, but I don't wanna see it added, mainly because of the fact that I'd prolly be very annoyed by it.

Exactly my thoughts

Well if there should be added anything to the game that effects one type of style of gaming then it should really be carefully implemented, if at all. I rather not become 'infected' by a detrimental disease/condition just because I had to slaughter all those F*****g grifers. I do overall like the idea, however I do feel that this system might be annoying if implemented in the wrong way.

I do recognize that killing someone will effect you and perhaps this might be simulated through a system that keeps tossing afflictions at you. Perhaps as your character progress through the game and more time has passed your character starts to develop traits and abilities. All of which isn't going to be positive to simulate a more realistic character development. So if you slaughter peoples with an axe you should, perhaps, gain +x% to wielding axes but also since you go close up and person against players you might also be having these simulated nervous breakdowns when something startles you something good.

Of course this might be too much of a RPG-type of game, like Morrowind and NWN, for some/many players. But for myself I can't see the harm in adding a character development system that's, much as it can be, logical and sensible.

Read my signature for my opinion on this :/

• Like 1

That will definitely reduce the amount of PVP nowadays, I'd be actually scared of killing people now, lol

Yeah, man up and get it done...*sigh* :facepalm:

And although the game is about surviving it isn't that fun that the interaction between players are almost a 100% lethal. I've meet over 20-25 players today and I got to say that only one player didn't shoot at all and wished to join group with me. The rest either slaughtered you outright or fled like I was a demon spawned from the fiery pits of PvP-hell.

I saw two players driving around and trying to hit peoples. I encounter how three players did corner one freshly spawned player inside the office building in Electro, they used grenades to reach his sorry a**.

I encountered two players that turned about to arch bullets at me even though they where under some assault by the infected. I returned fire and did the sensible and fled the field.

So... is there a problem with this "social experiment"? Clue ---> :murder:

Yeah, man up and get it done...*sigh* :facepalm:

And although the game is about surviving it isn't that fun that the interaction between players are almost a 100% lethal. I've meet over 20-25 players today and I got to say that only one player didn't shoot at all and wished to join group with me. The rest either slaughtered you outright or fled like I was a demon spawned from the fiery pits of PvP-hell.

I saw two players driving around and trying to hit peoples. I encounter how three players did corner one freshly spawned player inside the office building in Electro, they used grenades to reach his sorry a**.

I encountered two players that turned about to arch bullets at me even though they where under some assault by the infected. I returned fire and did the sensible and fled the field.

So... is there a problem with this "social experiment"? Clue ---> :murder:

The fix for this problem clearly is not punishing the bandits. What they need to do is encourage friendliness and teamplay. There are a ton of great suggestions here in the forums, in the past 5 minutes i've read about:

-non leathal weapons

-ability to throw your gun down/put hands up

-making your survival/shooting/medicine skills increase over time

-adding 'class system' so some players start with better meat gutting skills and some start with better medicinal skills for example

All this sorta little things would make 'shoot on sight' less preferrable option

• Like 1

Yes, I've read them and I support them. They're awesome and I would absolutely use many of them often as I could. The way of dealing with the issue are perhaps to first accept that some peoples will always grief others. Then to see if one could tilt their lust for griefing towards the lust to help others or join group with others by adding content to the game that encourage a more peaceful behaviour towards other players.

The fix for this problem clearly is not punishing the bandits. What they need to do is encourage friendliness and teamplay. There are a ton of great suggestions here in the forums, in the past 5 minutes i've read about:

-non leathal weapons

-ability to throw your gun down/put hands up

-making your survival/shooting/medicine skills increase over time

-adding 'class system' so some players start with better meat gutting skills and some start with better medicinal skills for example

All this sorta little things would make 'shoot on sight' less preferrable option

So you admit theres a problem and you have a few a solutions you wouldnt be opposed to :)

And since the "players" are supposed to create the world it should be up to me whether or not i want to punish a bandit, not the game. The dev team could provide a tool for me to punish a bandit/murderer with and i am free to use it. Thats not the game punishing banditry. Its simply porviding a tool with which survival minded player could use if they wish. What the problem with that?

Edited by playZ

You'll never see anything even remotely sophisticated on this engine. This is a zombie game and even the zombies won't work properly xD

No, this is mod and it is a phenomenal feat to get zombies working on Arma 2's engine. But I guess you're one of the idiots that has no idea about Arma 2's engine.

You'll never see anything even remotely sophisticated on this engine. This is a zombie game and even the zombies won't work properly xD

No, this is mod and it is a phenomenal feat to get zombies working on Arma 2's engine. But I guess you're one of the idiots that has no idea about Arma 2's engine.

No.

Imagine, as an honest player you are scavenging Cherno. Suddenly some griefing guy opens fire. You're lucky and got cover. Phew just a scratch. As you sneak out of your cover you see the griefer reloading. You take the chance and you go for the kill. Now YOU are the bandit. Getting spammed by voices, steps, shots etc. This would really piss me off as a non-bandit

So you admit theres a problem and you have a few a solutions you wouldnt be opposed to :)

And since the "players" are supposed to create the world it should be up to me whether or not i want to punish a bandit, not the game. The dev team could provide a tool for me to punish a bandit/murderer with and i am free to use it. Thats not the game punishing banditry. Its simply porviding a tool with which survival minded player could use if they wish. What the problem with that?

There is a simple and effective way to punish bandits. It's called shooting back. If you wish to avoid bandits alltogether you think twice before you go running on that field next to the airstrip. In my 130 hours in game I havent died to a bandit once without killing at least one trigger happy person before that. I haven't got ambushed once either, the times I get killed is when 2 groups spot oneanother near a valuable loot spot and try to prevent the other group from getting the good stuff. That usually results in bad things for both parties but it's not really banditry, we are not killing others for beans yet we would get punish for our actions. We can't split that sniper rifle in half even if we wanted to

Instead of making bandits get this kinda guns in reward for their playstyle we need smarter players and better endgame objectives.

QtWMvr.jpg

There is a simple and effective way to punish bandits. It's called shooting back. If you wish to avoid bandits alltogether you think twice before you go running on that field next to the airstrip. In my 130 hours in game I havent died to a bandit once without killing at least one trigger happy person before that. I haven't got ambushed once either, the times I get killed is when 2 groups spot oneanother near a valuable loot spot and try to prevent the other group from getting the good stuff. That usually results in bad things for both parties but it's not really banditry, we are not killing others for beans yet we would get punish for our actions. We can't split that sniper rifle in half even if we wanted to

Instead of making bandits get this kinda guns in reward for their playstyle we need smarter players and better endgame objectives.

QtWMvr.jpg

Thats YOUR story man. Dont try and make your story my story. And don't assume you know anything about my game experience. All I suggest is a way for a bandit, or more importantly a murderer to be indentified in game in some way. Like bringing bandit skins back. I fail to see how this is "punishing". The only somewhat rational argument i get is it put murderers at a disadvantage, but it doesn't. It removes the advantage they have.

You are assuming a sense of morality that not everyone may share.

IMO, if you are okay with killing an infected human, there is no reason you shouldn't be okay killing a non-infected armed human. They both have the same potential to kill you.

That being said, why wouldn't killing zeds have the same adverse effect on someone?