heretic (DayZ)

Consequences of player killing - a new direction!

Another stupid anti-PVP thread.

Getting really tired of these.

"Do something that only happens to people that murder. To penalize / mess with / discourage people who murder."

No. Stop fucking posting this garbage. It doesn't matter how you dress it, these ideas are awful.

Edited by aversionfx
  • Like 1

I love this Idea, adds a horror effect i would be shit scared but makes it more intense and if it only happens when youve done bad things, it shows thats something is playing on their mind cause theve killed someone it shows that they are human, because even if a criminal did a bad thing he would have it playing on his mind and trouble to sleep ect so +1 Hope it gets implemented :D

• Like 1

There is a simple and effective way to punish bandits. It's called shooting back. If you wish to avoid bandits alltogether you think twice before you go running on that field next to the airstrip. In my 130 hours in game I havent died to a bandit once without killing at least one trigger happy person before that. I haven't got ambushed once either, the times I get killed is when 2 groups spot oneanother near a valuable loot spot and try to prevent the other group from getting the good stuff. That usually results in bad things for both parties but it's not really banditry, we are not killing others for beans yet we would get punish for our actions. We can't split that sniper rifle in half even if we wanted to

Instead of making bandits get this kinda guns in reward for their playstyle we need smarter players and better endgame objectives.

QtWMvr.jpg

I agree we need smarter players...insofar as shooting back is the best solution...I carry an axe, I prefer to use the axe because it doesn't draw attention. Si I really can't shoot back with anything other than my M1911. If there was a way to switch between primary rifle and melee..that'd be great. And my suggestions PERSONALLY are with regard to people who (alone or in teams) kill indiscriminately for laughs. I have NO issue with killing another player because you need (or want) their supplies. Edited by playZ

Two "teams". that's the solution :D

see:

you choose, as you get into the server if you are going toward the banditry or the "survivery". of course there will be skin diferences so you can tell one from another.

If you chose the bandits team, you can serial murder anyone at will and won't have any side effect.

if you chose the survivor team you can shoot only bandits. if you kill other survivor (even by accident) you have the "guilt" effect.

and your guilt follows you no matter which side you pick.

this way you will have room for PvPlayers, survivors and deveicers, but only the deceiving would fall into consequences. you want to PvP? ok, but no one will give you morphine when you brake your leg. you like to hang out with others, ok, you do.. but if you want to deceive and abuse the goodwill of people, then you will have the postraumatic disorder...

the guilt might go down (in case a survivor kills a deceiver) with time and good deeds (giving medicine/blood xfusions)

this way you even have room for avengers (bandits that hunt deceivers), headhunters (survivors that hunt bandits) and a better place to live for everybody and some of the "congregating" feeling of tagging along with some totaly unknown fellow returned into the game.

Two "teams". that's the solution :D

see:

you choose, as you get into the server if you are going toward the banditry or the "survivery". of course there will be skin diferences so you can tell one from another.

If you chose the bandits team, you can serial murder anyone at will and won't have any side effect.

if you chose the survivor team you can shoot only bandits. if you kill other survivor (even by accident) you have the "guilt" effect.

and your guilt follows you no matter which side you pick.

this way you will have room for PvPlayers, survivors and deveicers, but only the deceiving would fall into consequences. you want to PvP? ok, but no one will give you morphine when you brake your leg. you like to hang out with others, ok, you do.. but if you want to deceive and abuse the goodwill of people, then you will have the postraumatic disorder...

the guilt might go down (in case a survivor kills a deceiver) with time and good deeds (giving medicine/blood xfusions)

this way you even have room for avengers (bandits that hunt deceivers), headhunters (survivors that hunt bandits) and a better place to live for everybody and some of the "congregating" feeling of tagging along with some totaly unknown fellow returned into the game.

I just suggested utilising the Bluefor/Opfor (and potentially neutral/civilian) factions in a similar way in this thread;

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/37631-a-serious-question-for-the-pvp-phobes/

Players decisions shouldn't, and never will, give them a disadvantage over other players. i like the idea of non-horror hallucinations as said previously due to low food and water (low health in other words). But raising possibility due to murder is punishment. I read the OP, and it does say if u murder it would increase. So to the OP, it IS punishing. Not harshly, but still punishing. Plus DayZ is not a horror game. Its a social experiment. The stress, tension and fear of the game comes from other players. Not sudden ghosts appearing and whispering at you. But punishing low health (food/water) by making u see things that arent there, like a helicopter off in the distance, that as u get a bit closer vanishes. It toys with you, tricks you. And is simply a repercussion of you not eating and drinking correctly. Plus it happens in real world, when your working this hard, and aren't eating/drinking properly. YOU WILL HALLUCINATE. But hallucinations show you good things, then cut you down when u find out they dont exist. It doesn't make big black ghosts go BOO infront of you (exaggerated i know).

DayZ isn't a social experiment it's a FFA FPS now, everything intresting about the game has been gotten rid of by KoS.

• Like 1

I think this would be a very interesting aspect to the game if it were added. The only problem I have with it is that it my draw players away from the game... if I hear a gunshot, I'll stay online and run away. As for others, if they hear gunshots, they log out immediately.

If people are constantly or even every now and then hearing gunshots because of paranoia they will stop playing. I don't think any audio should be introduced into this "paranoia" theme you are trying to go for. I do think there should be small spirits or something going across your screen some time, not just in the corner but where you can fully see it, very rarely though. If it were in the corner of your screen I think people might think it is a player and disconnect.

Honestly sounds just seem more of a deterrent of players than anything. It needs to be sort of obvious but not disconnect and never come back sort of thing.

iF i HEAR GUNSHOTS , i MOVE TOWARDS THEM

the pvp problem is the game is the "best fun with your pants on" for the PvPlayers and almost impossible to the rest have any fun. and by what i see here, there are lots of "the rest".

i am still playing this because it is alpha. if it was the real deal, i would be out. i expect rocket find a way to make it fun for the non-PvPs, cooperating and perhaps even hunting the bandits.

man, it is not the problem of die. that's on the game. every time i see a chopper crash or get close my tent my only thought is "ambush". And no game mechanics will take it out.

i just had an experience, i was at gorka, scavenging for car parts and suddenly the Zs aggroed near me, but not by my presence.i took a dive and watched. two guys were running in the shoes of Judas from a bunch of Zs. the went in a barn and started shooting. i thought "what the hack, let's kill some Zs..." and in the direct chanel said "i am shooting the Zombies" and put my bizon to whisper. i shot the crawling and jumping Zs that were farther from the barn, and the guys dealt with the runners at the barn doors.

Danger over, i slowly headed to the barn, always speaking in direct "friend, drug, amigo, ami". for my surprize the guys just have disconected...

it was a pitty. i would like to shake hands with those fellows (damn good runners they were), perhaps even tag along a bit...

• Like 1

DayZ isn't a social experiment it's a FFA FPS now, everything intresting about the game has been gotten rid of by KoS

18.3% of players are Bandits. 16.7% of deaths are from PvP. Please, please, please if you want to have a civil discussion stop saying things that are proven inarguably false by the stats on the front of this very fucking website.

You guys say everyone plays this way, yet two of you in this thread just admitted you do not. You think you're the only ones? You and you alone choose to play the way you do?

Have you made any attempt to link up with like-minded individuals here on the forums or elsewhere?

Because I have, and successfully so.

Many others, as well.

The gallery on this forum, Youtube, twitter, twtich, etc. are full of stories and videos depicting interesting cooperative play.

It's really difficult to engage you guys in a discussion about the issues facing the game when you can't even speak about them realistically and demonstrate no efforts to work through them in a reasonable way as others have shown is perfectly possible.

As to you, heretic, I'm still waiting for you to address my question: if your idea is just about increasing the atmospheric effects and horror elements of the game, why not apply it equally to everyone instead of using it to punish player kills? It is certainly "realistic" given the horrors and stress we all face every day in the game.

I really genuinely want you to address this question. I'll continue to ask it as long as you continue to ignore it.

• Like 3

Yes i have tried linking up with people in the past and bandits have killed us all, besides a great many deaths must come from respawning untill you are in the right possition.

Yes i have tried linking up with people in the past and bandits have killed us all, besides a great many deaths must come from respawning untill you are in the right possition.

Those are not counted. Holy motherfuck I have to say this 500 times a day.

If you "tried" linking up with people in the "past" then you didn't succeed? Why are you no longer linked? Why is it in the past? One death broke up your group?

You can meet up with each other again. You realize that, right?

Every time a bandit kills me, one of my friends drives a motorcycle down to the coast and picks me up!

Make more friends. And keep them.

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby
  • Like 1

I did some thinking on this last night. Well, not necessarily this, but PVP in general and where it takes place. Most new spawns get killed somewhere along the coast between Cherno and Elektro. People seem to think these are good places to gear, maybe even the best places to get gear early on. I was on 3 different servers in these two towns last night, and most loot was pretty well picked over...but I stayed because I like interaction with other players, whether that be positive or negative, and my normal group was either offline or pretty far north. Either everyone else in town has that same outlook (interaction with others, whether it's positive or negative) or they made a terrible mistake and need to branch out to other towns with more abundant loot spawns due to a lower population of people looking for interaction with other survivors (Zelenogorsk and Berezino come to mind).

If you want to play this game as a group of survivors surviving in some sort of "authentic" way, you need to get the hell out of the city and make camp somewhere in the woods close to low-risk loot to sustain your group. You don't need military loot, so you can stay away from airfields, and vehicles spawn in several small Chernarus towns.

You don't have to put yourself in the middle of conflict if that's not your play style...you just need to find a group of people who share that ideal and build off it with them.

I think some sort of group system is a great idea - make your teammates easily identifiable and open up a group chat option. In a real world scenario walkie talkies aren't that difficult to come by. Base building options would also be an improvement. Survival is already in there - you need to eat, maintain a temperature and stay hydrated on top of maintaining a high blood level. Horror is extremely subjective and not everybody will be pleased ever, and it's not the goal of this "zombie apocalypse simulator" as I understand it.

Stopping PvP or nullifying it is not the answer. I love the ideas of mental illnesses, but that can be interpreted as discouraging a bandit playstyle, and DayZ NEEDS bandits. Rather, we must focus on there being rewards for cooperation. Perhaps you have the option to group up, almost like an XBOXLive party.said mental illnesses effect players who kill wha would be close friends, not random players. Some item like bandages should be more effective if applied by another person, so banding together is recommended, not forced.

I for one had a different approach on "punishing" killing.

I say add "blood on their hands". When you kill a guy (at least close range or with hatchet) you'd get blood on yourself.

Zombie blood wouldn't attract zombies, but human blood would. So depending on how fresh it is and how many people you'd get a +% of change to have zombie smelling you (detecting you) quicker. Going into water would result into getting rid of it, but a low percentage of each kill would remain and therefore increasing you're chance to be "smelled" with each kill.

As to you, heretic, I'm still waiting for you to address my question: if your idea is just about increasing the atmospheric effects and horror elements of the game, why not apply it equally to everyone instead of using it to punish player kills? It is certainly "realistic" given the horrors and stress we all face every day in the game.

I really genuinely want you to address this question. I'll continue to ask it as long as you continue to ignore it.

I have no objection to my suggestion applying equally to all players. Using zombie kills in addition to player kills as a means of calculating a tiny percentage chance of an event occurring makes no odds to me.

The suggestion of basing it on player kills was simply a mechanism by which a probability could be calculated. The idea originated as a result of reading the posts on the first page of the DayZ urban Legends thread, where I suggest that it could be used as a means of freaking out bandits. Note use of the phrase "freaking out"!

Nowhere have I stated that I desire to punish PvP as it stands.

You have chosen to interpret my suggestion as an attack on PvP and have assumed that was my intent. It was not. It is not. And I have stated that repeatedly. You have strewn accusations based on your assumptions at me as if they were confetti in this and another thread. I would suggest that if your mind reading abilities are that developed that you add that to your profile bio.

Your assumptions have made an ASS out of U and ME!

If you wish to continue to make this personal, to hurl accusations, attempt to bully, or browbeat me, feel free to PM me.

I will feel equally free to ignore you.

...where I suggest that it could be used as a means of freaking out bandits. Note use of the phrase "freaking out"!

And freaking out bandits based on a percentage pulled from number of kills is not a punishment for killing? Do you even pay attention to what you're saying?

Edited by Huuwap

@Heretic, I enjoy reading what you and other creative post authors suggest as ways to curb rampant player killing. It's not my favorite aspect of the game either, but some players just prefer that style of game play. Just like I prefer my "carebear" style of game play. Based on various posts and interviews it seems the developers might still consider your suggestion as consequences or punishment for choosing that particular style of play. Despite it's subtlety. It seems as though they are going for adding more co-op opportunities instead. Though I'm sure you've already watched or read Rocket's interviews and posts.

I thoroughly enjoyed Amnesia, the Penumbra series, Silent Hill, etc;psychological type horror games along those lines. I would love the opportunity, just once in DayZ to get to spend 20 minutes or so haunting my murderer as a ghost. I'd love to be able to follow him around, whispering in his ear, materializing in front of his scope just a he gets a shot lined up. Maybe having some kind poltergeist abilities with empty cans or bottles, closing doors, footsteps on stairs and ladders. That would be crazy fun and funny. At the 'You Are Dead' screen you could have the option of either respawning or haunting your killer for a certain amount of time. It could be that your ghost is attached to that player like their gear for a half hour or so even if they DC and enter another server.

I don't know if anyone has ever suggested such a thing before, (I hope I haven't inadvertently stolen someone else's idea) and I know it'll never, ever actually happen, but it'd be awesome nevertheless.

I do like your ideas, Heretic, even though they'll probably never see the light of DayZ. :) (bad pun intended!)

• Like 1