Junos

Disconnect, change server, flank, reconnect. Simple solution.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEc59lR1ppY

My buddy recorded it. Sadly the video didn't continue recording until we repositioned to the hill and they appeared on top of us, but you can see how they disappeared into an open field with nothing to hide behind. Note that they aren't hacking like the title may say, simply cheating by switching servers and then coming back.

US 191. Approximately 0730 UTC 18JUL2012.

Near Stary Sobor. With 3 buddies.

One of us is separated from the group, to the east.

I spot players at nearly 1000 meters running to the west into a forest. My buddy gets his thermal sight on them and tracks 4 of them as they run back out of the forest to the east.

A few minutes later, our teammate gets shot. She was far to the east.

We pursue the enemy players to the north. Then we see four of them running toward us through an open field at 400-500 meters, zig-zagging. We take cover behind some large rocks and wait for them. Several minutes pass. We see nothing, hear nothing. They seem to have vanished. Then we see a lone player sprinting to the east with a pistol in his hand, through the open field, 300 meters away. We move to the east behind a small hill to watch him. Then we see nothing. He seems to have vanished into the air--there were no trees anywhere near him.

We figure they disconnected, switched servers, and were flanking us. The lone player with the pistol was their scout, feeding them intel as the rest of them repositioned on another server. We move to the south onto a higher hill overlooking Stary. We go prone and watch our sectors. We see nothing, hear nothing.

Pop pop pop pop pop, bang bang. The three of us are dead. Shot by at least two different weapons. Out of nowhere. They reconnected right on top of us.

It's bad enough when people disconnect after being shot at.

It's unbelievably cowardly to disconnect when the enemy sees you, log onto a different server, flank them, then return to the previous server, and shoot them.

I had just spent 4 hours, after dying to a reconnect-can't-move-die bug, reuniting with my team. One of my teammates had a thermal sighted rifle, a very rare weapon. We had enough gear to sustain ourselves. Hours and hours of game time invested. When it hit the fan, we were careful to take cover, watch our sectors, and track the enemy. We knew a fight was imminent.

But the enemy was a team of four cowards who cheated to gain an unfair advantage.

I don't mind bandits--it's a zombie apocalypse. But cowardly cheaters are intolerable.

Simple solution: After disconnecting from a server intentionally, disallow the player from connecting to the same server for 30 minutes.

Edited by Junos
  • Like 4

Yeah, 5mins would give you the enough time to complete leave a city. If you stay and they come back, then you have 5mins to re position yourselves and win the fight.

Near Stary Sobor. With 3 buddies.

One of us is separated from the group, to the east.

I spot players at nearly 1000 meters running to the west into a forest. My buddy gets his thermal sight on them and tracks 4 of them as they run back out of the forest to the east.

A few minutes later, our teammate gets shot. She was far to the east.

We pursue the enemy players to the north. Then we see four of them running toward us through an open field at 400-500 meters, zig-zagging. We take cover behind some large rocks and wait for them. Several minutes pass. We see nothing, hear nothing. They seem to have vanished. Then we see a lone player sprinting to the east with a pistol in his hand, through the open field, 300 meters away. We move to the east behind a small hill to watch him. Then we see nothing. He seems to have vanished into the air--there were no trees anywhere near him.

We figure they disconnected, switched servers, and were flanking us. The lone player with the pistol was their scout, feeding them intel as the rest of them repositioned on another server. We move to the south onto a higher hill overlooking Stary. We go prone and watch our sectors. We see nothing, hear nothing.

Pop pop pop pop pop, bang bang. The three of us are dead. Shot by at least two different weapons. Out of nowhere.

It's bad enough when people disconnect after being shot at.

It's unbelievably cowardly to disconnect when the enemy sees you, log onto a different server, flank them, then return to the previous server, and shoot them.

I had just spent 4 hours, after dying to a reconnect-can't-move-die bug, reuniting with my team. One of my teammates had a thermal sighted rifle, a very rare weapon. We had enough gear to sustain ourselves. Hours and hours of game time invested. When it hit the fan, we were careful to take cover, watch our sectors, and track the enemy. We knew a fight was imminent.

But the enemy was a team of four cowards who cheated to gain an unfair advantage.

I don't mind bandits--it's a zombie apocalypse. But cowardly cheaters are intolerable.

Simple solution: After disconnecting from a server intentionally, disallow the player from connecting to the same server for 30 minutes.

They sould have their Arma2 guid's globally banned for this shit. We caught a cheating fuck at this on our server the other night. Needless to say he won't be getting on to any of our servers again.

I'm getting really sick and tired of these cheating cowards.

• Like 2

Five minutes is not enough time. More than five minutes elapsed after they disappeared before their scout disappeared. It can take longer than that to be sure that they disconnected.

Even 15 minutes is not good enough. If they disconnect, I shouldn't have to worry about them coming back, period. Unless I'm camping the town myself, they should be gone. They should have no option but to pick on someone else.

No tolerance. No mercy. Cowards should always lose.

Edited by Junos

The problem is Day Z mod is on its last legs. What I mean by that is that development for it is going to stop very soon, and all development will be put into the standalone. The standalone product will not have these problems from the start. The solutions to these problems are log out timers to stop the d/c-ing plague, and separate character data for each server.

These fixes will be easily built into a new game, but it will take a lot longer to tack it on to an old aging engine.

We can only hope Rocket does fix the d/c problem; unfortunately separate character data would put a ton more load on the hive/servers and won't probably be addressed till the standalone.

Edited by Wrath

I don't know how close DayZ's ArmA2 development is to being stopped. I'm not aware of Rocket having set a date. I'm not even aware of him confirming that this is the plan--only that it's an idea he'd like to pursue. Unless you know for certain, you shouldn't spread rumors.

Besides, this "aging" engine is still being updated constantly. I just installed a new beta today.

Regardless of that, it would not be difficult or time-consuming to add a reconnect delay, and it would improve the game more than things like adjusting zombie behavior.

I'm not afraid of other players. They make the game exciting. If I just wanted AI, I could play singleplayer games or L4D2.

But it takes hours and hours of game time just to gear up and rendezvous with teammates. Cheaters like these make it not worth the effort. With all the servers that we have, there's no reason to let people reconnect so soon.

As it is, if I see enemy players, do I want to take the risk that they're going to cheat, and throw away hours of time invested? The smartest thing for me to do is disconnect before any shots are fired--but then all I'm doing is avoiding imaginary zombies, gathering imaginary gear, eating imaginary food, and drinking imaginary soda. I do 75% of those things in real life.

I don't want to play like that--only slightly less cowardly than these cheaters--but to not do so would put me at the mercy of cheaters.

Edited by Junos
  • Like 4

The solutions to these problems are log out timers to stop the d/c-ing plague, and separate character data for each server.

Removing your permanent character removes a staple of this mod. What if the server you're plaing on doesn't update? What if it suffers extended downtime? What if it's full?

These are just a few of the issues you might suddenly start facing. Restricting logins are within the scope of DayZ as a mod.

There's no way to discern if a player intentionally disconnects or not; the game could crash or he could suffer a power outage. I'd rather see it that disconnecting from one server, connecting to another and then reconnecting to previous server within a time limit should be enforced, while allowing you to reconnect to recover from a game crash etc.

Then you could pile on additional restrictions, such as killing you outright if you disconnect shortly after firing a shot or someone else shoots at you/near you (while rather harsh, it's unlikely the game will crash just then, and the victor can keep the spoils).

Edited by HulkingUnicorn

I don't know how close DayZ's ArmA2 development is to being stopped. I'm not aware of Rocket having set a date. I'm not even aware of him confirming that this is the plan--only that it's an idea he'd like to pursue. Unless you know for certain, you shouldn't spread rumors.

Its not a rumour idiot, watch/read a few interviews.

I often disconnect when I have to go AFK for a short period. Normally I just go to the group screen, but all too often I exit the server accidentally. Leaving and not being able to rejoin would be an annoyance for myself and anyone in my group.

Its not a rumour idiot, watch/read a few interviews.

No, you were making a lot of assumptions in your post. I'm sure you'll have some spittle flecked invectives ready, but it doesn't change the fact you don't know what you're talking about.

Edited by Rogan

There's no way to discern if a player intentionally disconnects or not; the game could crash or he could suffer a power outage. I'd rather see it that disconnecting from one server, connecting to another and then reconnecting to previous server within a time limit should be enforced, while allowing you to reconnect to recover from a game crash etc.

This. PintOBass brought this up in the suggestion forums some time ago. A cooldown timer for A-B-A server hopping IMO is the best option. The only down side is if you are re-gearing from a stash on server B and trying to re enter server A, you would be affected by said timer. Personally i have no problem with that.

No, you were making a lot of assumptions in your post. I'm sure you'll have some spittle flecked invectives ready, but it doesn't change the fact you don't know what you're talking about.

"I'm 100 per cent positive now that this will be made as a game" - Quote from Rocket in reference to stand alone

The other thing I have to prove is that he said he will stop work on the mod and change to the standalone, its in a video interview and I cannot be bothered to spend my time trying to prove pseudo-intellectuals, such as yourself, wrong.

The 'fixes' to the problems are my personal opinions.

Rocket has, however, stated PRECISELY that he will not spend much time fixing issues that will be instantly fixed once the game is standalone. If you don't want to believe me you can continue to live in your little world of ignorance.

Edited by Wrath

In my eyes, this is no better than using a hack to teleport. It's a disgusting way to abuse the game.

This.

People leaving the server during a fight are cowards, and using that ability either to dodge a defeat (logging off in combat) or to get a better position on people on said server are nothing less than cheaters.

But 30 minutes is too much. 5 is good. That'd give you ten minutes as they'd have to wait 5 to connect to the new server and then another 5 after they move back and relog into yours, so you could get 15 or more minutes to prepare for the ambuse, and attempt one yourself due to this.

Unfortunately, at least part of the dev team feels ghosting is something we as players need to protect against, not something they should fix themselves.

In a recent suggestion post by Ander, he said "The use of these items is a risk vs reward. If you want to protect yourself against ghosting, then us it.".

Unfortunately, at least part of the dev team feels ghosting is something we as players need to protect against, not something they should fix themselves.

In a recent suggestion post by Ander, he said "The use of these items is a risk vs reward. If you want to protect yourself against ghosting, then us it.".

From reading his OP of that topic, I'd say it's more to make base defences not being pointless than stopping flanking on other servers (forcing people to spawn outside the perimeter of the base), as the infrastructure described doesn't lend itself to impromtu usage in the forest skirmish described in this thread. Rocket has at least attempted a limited disconnect timer in the past, but removed it due to item duplication issues.

Due to how simple it is to log out, enter another server to change position and log back in again... I have this proposal instead.

If you log out from a server, you have a 30 minute timer before you can rejoin that specific server again. You can, however, join whatever other server in the meantime... just not the same server you just left.

So simply put... leaving a server gives you a 30 minute "ban" on that specific server.

Feel free to run around and do whatever on other servers while you wait out the 30 minutes. That will effectively kill any "teleporting" tactics, while not keeping anyone from playing the game (though it may keep you from playing with your friends if they insist on remaining on the same server you just left).

Either way... you try to use cowardly tactics, you can sit on another server alone for 30 minutes, or have your friends over where you are and take it from there.

• Like 1

Why invent the wheel again ?

- Disconnecting to avoid death ?

Make characters stand still for 10 seconds in order to log out (before they disappear). You could always interrupt the logging-out-process if u saw a zombie comming to eat you or such...

-Flanking / Server hopping ?

Force ppl to log out in "safe zones", like forrests for example. Nobody should be able to jump off the server in busy zones, where loot and zombies spawn etc.

All those mechanice have been successfull in different games. And there´s alot more to be found in other games...

• Like 2

I approve a cooldown timer for reconnecting to a server you've recently disconnected from. The servers must keep track of players connecting, if the same person trys to connect more then once in a 15 min period = Denied. If it's a legit disconnect you really should have no problem playing on another server for a few minutes and as the game becomes more stable we should see less random disconnects.

They cant add a login delay for logging onto different servers because all the so many stupid server admins are unable to tell the time. GMT -8 server connecting at midnight GMT and its pitch black? wtf

Why invent the wheel again ?

- Disconnecting to avoid death ?

Make characters stand still for 10 seconds in order to log out (before they disappear). You could always interrupt the logging-out-process if u saw a zombie comming to eat you or such...

-Flanking / Server hopping ?

Force ppl to log out in "safe zones", like forrests for example. Nobody should be able to jump off the server in busy zones, where loot and zombies spawn etc.

All those mechanice have been successfull in different games. And there´s alot more to be found in other games...

DayZ is a mod of a game not designed for this. The game cannot prevent you from logging out and your character is automatically removed from the server once you do. It is possible to work around this by creating a unit with the players equipment/appearance if he disconnects "without permission", but Rocket experienced duplication issues when he last tried it. There's also the issue of how to handle things when people lose connection or their clients crashes.

Better then, to prevent them from rejoining server A after they've flanked you on server B, right?

They cant add a login delay for logging onto different servers because all the so many stupid server admins are unable to tell the time. GMT -8 server connecting at midnight GMT and its pitch black? wtf

Straw man argument. The central database can handle this. If you're talking about players who try to change to a daytime server being penalized, they won't be with the "A-B-A Server flanking prevention" method mentioned a few posts ago.

Edited by HulkingUnicorn
  • Like 1

Need the hive to auto-detect cheating ghosters and to issue 7 day ban for first offense, perma for 2nd.

This one of the absolute main reasons why i stopped playing this game. I am a sucker for Zombie games and i really enjoy this mod. But a good 35-50 hours of gameplay shows the real fatal errors of this mod. This one being one of the worst. Im not giving up on this mod but i am also not playing it in its current state.

I got my eye on this one. :)

Peace all.

Ctrl+alt+del = win. I care about that. When a character d/c's his player should stand there atleast 30 seconds and take damage. This is extremely easy to put in the game, it should have already been there. Every single person gets a bad taste in their mouth for this game when they run into it. I am sick and tired of people ctrl+alt+del'ing their game when someone shoots at them. So far 9 out of 10 times it has been done to me in every fight. This is the number one problem with this game that needs to be fixed. Packet injection I dont even care about, admins can easily ban for it.

Edited by PimpinSmurf